Start by marking “Enemy At The Gates The Battle For Stalingrad Tie In Edition” as Want to Read:
Enemy At The Gates The Battle For Stalingrad Tie In Edition

Enemy At The Gates The Battle For Stalingrad Tie In Edition

4.2  ·  Rating Details ·  7,606 Ratings  ·  188 Reviews
Stalingrad, the bloodiest and most extraordinary battle in the history of modern warfare, cost the lives of nearly two million soldiers and civilians. Perhaps the single most important engagement of World War II, it signalled the beginning of the end for Hitler and the Nazis. Drawing on eyewitness accounts from all sides, William Craig tells the story of one of the 20th ce ...more
Published January 3rd 2001 by Penguin Books (first published 1973)

Lyn
Feb 29, 2016 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A study of World War II is an exercise in tragedy. To compare it to a Greek or even Shakespearean play is to engage in understatement and reverse hyperbole: World War II is comparable to nothing else in history.

A student will delve into the political and economic backstory, come to vaguely understand the causes and the historical indices of what was to come. Next he will learn of the epic battles and the strife that engaged millions. But lurking in the shadows, like an especially miserable and
'Aussie Rick'
This title was the catalyst for my enduring fascination with books covering the fighting on the Eastern Front during World War Two. This is a great story of the fighting at Stalingrad endured by the German and Russian armies. Although not as deeply researched as Glantz’s titles this book offers an insight into the soldier’s war and does it brilliantly. This is still one of my top ten books ever which isn’t bad considering it was first published in the early 1970’s. Recommended for anyone who lov ...more
Veeral
One would not be entirely correct if one thinks that the movie Enemy At The Gates was based on this book, even though the movie posters claims it to be so. Somehow, it resembles more with the book War of the Rats by David L. Robbins, which is a fictionalized account of the duel between two sharpshooters in the warzone of Stalingrad. In my opinion, Stalingrad (1993) is a way better movie than the Hollywood one.

This book in fact covers the whole battle of Stalingrad from the German perspective.

Fo
A.L. Sowards
I knew the basics about Stalingrad before reading this book: that it was perhaps the most important battle of the war and a huge turning point, that it involved sniper battles, house-to-house fighting, huge casualties on both sides, and entire armies from Germany and Romania pretty much disappearing. This book gave me a more complete picture of the battle, its scope, and how it unfolded.

It wasn’t a happy read. The Soviets get pushed back almost all the way to the Volga and barely hang on. They s
Evan
Don't even harbor the thought that the film version of "Enemy at the Gates" bears anything but cursory relation to this book. The movie was actually based on a fictionalized book called "War of the Rats." If you want to read one book about the Hell that was World War II, this is the one. This is a sweeping chronicle of the most heinous campaign in the history of human warfare - Stalingrad. William Craig's command of the material is complete; the realities of everyday life and death are essayed t ...more
Mike
Nov 28, 2007 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mike by: aggie_mike2003@yahoo.com
One of the best battle accounts incorporating both sides while keeping a fair perspective. Fascinating and bloody, the battle was a key turning point to the war and this one should be read. *Oct 2012 Reread* This book remains a "must-read" on Stalingrad. It ranges from the grand strategy of Hitler's invasion of the USSR down to the grunts in the cellars and rubble of the city. Horror, cruelty and suffering yet flashes of humanity and charity in a titanic battle. Excellent reading even if it is a ...more
Nikola Jankovic
Bitka svih bitaka, ispricana kao "velika istorija", pokrivajuci bitku iz ugla njene vaznosti za tok 2. svetskog rata, kao i kroz strategiju, taktiku i odluke na frontu. Medjutim, ono sto je cini interesantnijom su i price pojedinaca, koje je Craig intervjuisao (knjiga je izasla 1973) i koji uspevaju da od velikog konflikta koji bi nas inace prenerazio "statistikom", visokim brojkama mrtvih, ranjenih i poslatih u logore, naprave licne price. Takav fokus postize to da svaku od tih stotine hiljada ...more
Richard
Sep 26, 2009 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an account of one of the most decisive battles of World War II. It marks the spot in history when the Russian Army stopped retreating from the relentless German invasion which was started in June 1941, and when the utter, catastrophic defeat of the Germans gave the Russians and their allies in the United States and Great Britain a huge morale boost. This was one of those turning points where the ultimate outcome of a great conflict could trace its origins.

The invasion of the Soviet
Jean Poulos
This book was first published in 1973 then was reissued in 2001, as a movie-tie book for the film of the same name. The book is considered one of the best written about the siege of Stalingrad. The battle for Stalingrad was waged from August 23, 1942 to February 2, 1943. The battle was critical to the fate of the Eastern Front.

General Frederick von Paulus’s German Sixth Army was fresh from crushing the Ukraine. In three years of warfare the Sixth Army was undefeated, having scored victories in P
Steve Coscia
Feb 18, 2012 Steve Coscia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For WWII history buffs, this book is mandatory. The Russians had no idea that they had trapped so many Germans in Stalingrad during their November 1942 pincer movement. The bold Russian move along with diminishing supplies and brutal weather sealed the German's fate. This book details the day-by-day and hour-by-hour deterioration of German existence inside the Stalingrad pocket or "kessel" (Cauldron).

Descriptive personal testimony of trauma, starvation, frostbite and even post-war follow up on
Mikey B.
An entirely sobering account of the epochal battle of Stalingrad. The ruthlessness and inhumanity of war is nakedly exposed. Corpses abound – towards the end rotting bodies are stacked up in makeshift German hospitals.

Stalingrad is what can happen to invaders. Although one feels sympathy for the Germans in reading their letters home to their wives and parents – there is no introspection in these letters of the reasons of why they were so far from their homeland. When one seeks to destroy a city
Jane
Jul 10, 2013 Jane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, wwii, nonfiction
This is a classic work on the Battle of Stalingrad--or maybe the *first* classic. Although forty years old, the book still has value. I could see how this battle was a major turning point in world history--the first time the Wehrmacht had been defeated--overwhelmingly and at such a human toll! Stalingrad took place in 1942-43, and D-Day was still over a year in the future.

The book lays out all the strategy, tactics, and brings the battle and its aftermath home to the general reader with passages
Kenneth Decroo
This non-fiction book reads like a novel. It is very informative. Written from extensive interviews and diary accounts from both sides of the battle of Stalingrad. I could not put it down.
Steve
Apr 30, 2010 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
It might be worth 5 stars, but it's been a long time, and I read it when it first came out. The sniper duel, a major focus of the movie, is only a small part of the book. Brutal, but you already know that...
Timothy Boyd
Jul 18, 2015 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book on the siege of Stalinggrad and the sniper war between two experts in the ruins. You learn much more of the characters than the movie shows. Excellent war story. Very recommended
Algernon
Dec 14, 2013 Algernon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016

A couple of months ago I read a non-fiction account of an air-raid against my hometown during World War II. The book ("Ploesti" by James Duggan) whetted my apetite for other similar accounts from that conflagration. Being already familiar with the two famous novels by Cornelius Ryan ("The Longest Day" and "A Bridge Too Far") I turned my attention to the Eastern front and to what is arguably the deciding battle of the whole conflict:

Marked by constant close quarters combat and direct assaults on
Katherine Addison
I found this book deeply problematic. Partly this is because I am irredeemably fussy and will nitpick anything to death, given half a chance. But I think my fundamental concern is a valid and important one. In this book, Craig has made some choices with which I vehemently disagree. One is to tell the story of Stalingrad rather than the history, which he does by largely turning the progress of the siege into a series of interlaced human interest stories. The other, related choice is to radically ...more
Katherine Dillon
A very detailed account of the Battle of Stalingrad. I've always heard that this battle was the turning point of the war but knew very little about it. Now I feel like I have a decent comprehension of what happened (only because it was hard for me to keep track of everything, not for lack of information included).

Although it is an interesting book it was so difficult for me to get through this book. It was very difficult for me to keep track of the names and places. I wish there was an extensive
Terry Parker
Feb 29, 2012 Terry Parker rated it really liked it
This is a book that stays with you, making you remember the brutality of war. Whether you were German, you were sorrily sacrificed, or Russian you were driven to be sacrificed. The body counts and politics play off each other to show how decisions made behind the lines affect the men and women at the front. And in Russia the front was everywhere. And the movie of the same name, while very focussed, intense and realistic, it does only have to do with a small portion of the book.
Nov 14, 2007 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, wwii, russia
This isn’t the first book I’ve read about the Battle of Stalingrad and it won’t be the last. This wasn’t the best book about the Battle of Stalingrad, and it wasn’t the worst. I probably learned a few new things and some of the personal stories, while slightly choppy, did add a perspective. I still get lost with some of the more military terms (how big is a battalion?), this is a decent read for anyone interested in WWII, written by an American but not about any American theater of war.
Dave
Jul 08, 2011 Dave rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Living in Ukraine has given me an interest to read more about the Eastern Europe history. I feel like I know almost every inch of Stalingrad (Volograd now). I can't believe the audacity of Hitler and how blindly people followed the little corporal. Stalin was not saint either. The book was about as realistic as I would care to read about the horrors of war.
Kim
Mar 24, 2013 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An outstanding history - thoroughly researched with first person accounts presented in the third person. Presented in anecdotal form which was utterly insightful. In this day of texting and electronic communications, watch for the author's observations about the teletype communications between Schmidt and Schultz, written over forty years ago. Very hard to put down. Balanced in its humanity.
Jarrod
This is a fantastic book and required reading for anyone interested in the Eastern Front of WWII. The defense and triumph of the Soviet Union at Stalingrad easily marks the turning point in the European Theater of WWII. The raw stories from the soldiers fighting the war here makes this book a standout amongst it's peers.
Caroline
Dec 26, 2012 Caroline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war
This was a tough read but only because I felt so emotionally involved in what was happening. It is meticulously researched and along with the wealth of historical details William Craig weaves the stories of individual soldiers. The book was first published in the 1970s and so he had the opportunity to interview many of the survivors. An important and compelling book.
Gstn Klcsr
La más devastadora batalla de la segunda guerra mundial, el punto de inflexión del avance de los "superhombres" Nazis, una verdadera carnicería. Un infierno congelado.
Michele
Dec 15, 2012 Michele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves history.
Shelves: history
Very vivid and well written account of the most gruesome battle in history. I recommend it.
Mike
A remarkable book about (arguably) the most important battle of WW2
Remo
Mar 18, 2012 Remo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historia, 2006, militar

Stalingrado fue, junto a El Alamein, una de las batallas en las que se invirtió el rumbo de la II Guerra Mundial. En ella, los alemanes perdieron a varios de sus mejores ejércitos, además de la iniciativa, que tomaron los soviéticos al empezar a avanzar hacia Berlín.

Napoleón fracasó al invadir Rusia y Hitler cometió los mismos errores, y algunos más. Intentó hacer una campaña relámpago y cuando se quedó atascado se le echó el invierno encima. Después de eso, los rusos sólo tuvieron que contener

Saman Perera
Mar 19, 2017 Saman Perera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love history - and this is just amazing!
Russell Berg
Oct 01, 2016 Russell Berg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insightful and terrifying look at the Battle of Stalingrad. Wonderfully written.
WWII 3 9 Jul 25, 2015 10:52PM
THE WORLD WAR TWO...: 2012 - October - "Enemy at the Gates" by William Craig 155 113 Dec 08, 2012 10:17AM
  • The 900 Days: The Siege of Leningrad
  • In Deadly Combat: A German Soldier's Memoir of the Eastern Front
  • Armageddon: The Battle for Germany, 1944-1945
  • The Last Battle
  • Ivan's War: Life and Death in the Red Army, 1939-1945
  • The Forgotten Soldier
  • Panzer Leader
  • It Never Snows in September: The German View of Market-Garden and the Battle of Arnhem, September 1944
  • A Time For Trumpets - The Untold Story Of The Battle Of The Bulge
  • The Last 100 Days
  • The Two-Ocean War
  • Decision in Normandy
  • Pegasus Bridge
  • When Titans Clashed: How the Red Army Stopped Hitler
  • The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944 (World War II Liberation Trilogy, #2)
  • Barbarossa
  • Manstein: Hitler's Greatest General
  • To Hell and Back
William Craig (1929–1997) was an American author and historian.
More about William Craig...

“Most appalling was the growing realization, formed by statistics I uncovered, that the battle was the greatest military bloodbath in recorded history. Well over a million men and women died because of Stalingrad, a number far surpassing the previous records of dead at the first battle of the Somme and Verdun in 1916. The toll breaks down as follows: Conversations with official Russian sources on a not-for-attribution basis (and it must be remembered that the Russians have never officially admitted their losses in World War II) put the loss of Red Army soldiers at Stalingrad at 750,000 killed, wounded, or missing in action. The Germans lost almost 400,000 men. The Italians lost more than 130,000 men out of their 200,000-man army. The Hungarians lost approximately 120,000 men. The Rumanians also lost approximately 200,000 men around Stalingrad.” 0 likes