Start by marking “Bush Studies” as Want to Read:
Bush Studies

Bush Studies

3.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  59 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The most pronounced feature of Jyne's face was her mouth, and it seemed proud of its teeth, especially of the top row. Without any apparent effort, the last tooth there was always visible. She was a great power in the bush, being styled by the folk themselves "Rabbit Ketcher," which, translated, means midwife. And the airs Jyne gave herself were justifiable, for she was th ...more
Published (first published July 20th 1902)

To ask other readers questions about Bush Studies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bush Studies

Gretel
Dec 09, 2014 Gretel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Apart from A Dreamer and The Chosen Vessel I found the stories quite hard to get into and slow moving. When the description of the outback is good it is really good with lots of lively imagery, but Baynton got a little bit carried away in places, both with that and the use of commas.
Highlyeccentric
Huh. These were fascinating: mostly character studies of fragile people living in poverty and isolation. Most were women, but one study concerned an elderly man awaiting the return of the young couple who lived with or near him - his ruminations on the younger man's betrayal of him by taking a wife interwoven with and marked unreliable by his acute fear of the stranger he expected to soon assault him. I was least interested by a study of a rural preacher, and by one of a city woman travelling to ...more
Debbie
Jan 17, 2013 Debbie rated it it was amazing
First published in 1902, Bush Studies is a collection of short stories set in the Australian outback of her day. While the stories certainly convey the harsh conditions, I felt that Baynton made scathing commentary on the harsh, crude and vulgar behaviour particularly of the men, and particularly toward women.

I found Scrammy ‘And and The Chosen Vessel to be especially compelling, and if I taught high-school literature would want to include them in my curriculum, regardless of where I was teachin
Book Bazaar
The stories in this collection are quite uneven. All deal with the hardships of living in the Australian bush during the 1800's but some stories are wonderful and others difficult to read.

The collection is worth picking up just for the first and last stories. They are atmospheric, beautifully evoked stories that have you gripped from the very beginning.

Perhaps you should skip a few of the ones in the middle though - by trying to capture the dialogue and sound of the characters, much of the dialo
Belinda G
The final story was by far the best, but overall I'm incredibly disappointed in this collection.
Lisa
Jan 21, 2016 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: australia, c20th, 09review
This book was provided for review by Sydney University Press, and I read it for the Classics Challenge. Published in 1902, it presents a feminist perspective about 19th century Australian bush life and although aspects of it are a bit quaint, it's interesting to read. To see my review, see http://anzlitlovers.wordpress.com/200...
Lisa Hill, ANZ LitLovers
Heather Browning
Quite bleak and creepy stories, she manages to build up suspense without dramatics. The overlying theme of Australia's bleak bushland and the lack of hope in the people is strong. Some humour in the presentation of some typical 'bush characters'
Lauren
Some of the stories were a little hard to get into, especially when characters started talking all 'straya like. That said, others were quite good, so it balanced out. A grim, creepy collection.
Marina
Dec 18, 2012 Marina rated it really liked it
I've only read The Chosen Vessel, but I have to say I REALLY liked it, the intertextuality of the work and all the symbolysm. Baynton was truly a master in her time.
Pete Foley
Jun 27, 2013 Pete Foley rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Nope. This was not was I was wanting. Dry. Dull. Utterly mundane.
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Liam
Liam rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Tony Monahan
Tony Monahan rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Louisa Braley oelgeschlager
Louisa Braley oelgeschlager rated it did not like it
Jan 21, 2016
Chloe Bennet
Chloe Bennet marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Lesley A
Lesley A marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Noah Melser
Noah Melser rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2015
Mel
Mel rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2015
Jacqui
Jacqui marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Rahère
Rahère marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Alexandra Daw
Alexandra Daw is currently reading it
Sep 03, 2015
Alistair Fincher
Alistair Fincher marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2015
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it did not like it
Jun 24, 2015
Text Publishing
Text Publishing rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2015
Helena Du
Helena Du marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Gemma Camilleri
Gemma Camilleri rated it it was ok
Mar 22, 2015
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015