Start by marking “Home Schooling” as Want to Read:
Home Schooling

Home Schooling

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  14 reviews
From the acclaimed author of Visible Light comes a collection of seven outstanding stories, each set against the rural landscape of Vancouver Island and the cities of the Pacific Northwest. In these stories the memories and dreams of characters are examined, revealing them to be both cages and keys to the cages. The life-lessons learned by the characters are often as compl ...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Cormorant Books (first published July 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Home Schooling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home Schooling

A Fine Balance by Rohinton MistryHalf Blood Blues by Esi EdugyanThe Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWittBarney's Version by Mordecai RichlerAlias Grace by Margaret Atwood
Scotiabank Giller Prize Winners and Nominees
68th out of 102 books — 29 voters
Spilt Milk by D.K.CassidyThe Bird Day Battalion by Genevieve DeweyThe Meat Market by James ChalkInto the Killer Sphere by Stefania MattanaGalactic Energies by Luca  Rossi
Good short fiction
372nd out of 466 books — 413 voters

More lists with this book...

Surreysmum
I had some trouble getting into this collection of short stories, I remember, starting it and then laying it aside a couple of times. There was something nebulous and unresolved about the worlds being presented that didn't fit with my own needs for clear directions at the time; I found the landscapes and characters well evoked but disturbingly unclear as to significance. (That, of course, is entirely likely to have been the author's intention.) But the last time I tried, the accomplished writing ...more
Autumn
I chose this as part of my Across-Canada Challenge as I've read so much lit from BC, and wanted to try something different- short stories, Vancouver island, etc.

Well, I sort of figured out why I don't particularly like short stories...it's almost as though there is enough room for a poetic prose, but not enough for me to feel any sort of attachment at all for the protagonist. My feelings continued here, especially with Windley's characters because they are all tragic and issues go unresolved.

She
Carrie Marcotte
It's a book of short stories or more like 'vignettes' because they seem to cut into a moment of the story and leave at a moment, there doesn't seem to be a start or finish to each story. Her prose is fantastic and visual, but I find myself going back and re-reading parts because I haven't been properly 'introduced' to the characters because of the structure of the short story. An interesting collection and interesting way to present a story though. She's a good writer. I'd be interested to see w ...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I don't normally read short stories, they tend to feel very conscious of their limited space, and the characters are often empty names on pages to me. Home Schooling is nothing like that. Each story offers up, in beautiful, lyrical prose, intense details about the characters, their pasts, their issues, their relationships, yet nothing is crammed, none of the stories are full of junk - there's not a single wasted or irrelevant sentence.

There are common elements running through these stories - de
Julielenore
Jul 10, 2008 Julielenore rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Canadians, women
Shelves: short-stories
This is a book of short stories mostly set in B.C and Washington state. I enjoyed the first story "What Saffi knows" the most. It is about a young girl in the 60's, and the young boy who has gone missing from the small town where she lives.

I also enjoyed "felt skies" tremendously, which focuses on a mother daughter relationship, the love/hate relationship mothers and daughters can have. I could not finish the title story, I am funny like that, life is to short to read a book you don't like.

Colleen
A Canadian Giller Prize finalist, which as usual, serves as a giant warning sign for me! It’s a collection of short stories, which often don’t appeal to me because I’m either too lazy or too stupid to make connections between apparently unrelated events/people. And there are rarely neat, wrapped-upped endings. These points sum up this book. It wasn’t the worst book I’ve read, but it wasn’t great.
Catarina
It's hard to "rate" a short story collection. Some stories in this book were excellent while others fell short in different ways. In general, the stories that I didn't like as much tried to cover too much ground in terms of time leading them to feel rushed. I did really like descriptions of the PNW settings (mostly Vancouver Island, but similar enough to WA state).
Tricia Dower
Beautifully written book I read too long ago to make very specific comments. However, the story "What Saffi Knows" has stuck with me the several years since I read it. It was almost too difficult to get through but a masterpiece of literary exploration.
Deborah
Beautiful, complex stories of people searching for answers in relationships and in their lives. Themes of memory and truth lead to endings that are satisfying even when seemingly lacking in resolution. I loved this book.
eb
Very nice, but every story feels as if it's chopped off in the middle. That's not an entirely bad thing--Windley can write, and I'd happily read a long, juicy novel by her.
Jill
Nov 02, 2008 Jill marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: advanced-reader
Seriously, what is wrong with me? I can't seem to finish a book lately--unless it's audio. I need I lobotomy! (Or did I have one, and just forgot?)
Jess
Crystal-clear prose, real drama, and distinct characters make every story in this collection worth reading.
cStories eBook Singles
Each story now offered as a cStories eBook Single! Check it out - http://win.cstories.ca !
Ibis3
Aug 03, 2010 Ibis3 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-od
Edition irrelevant.2009-02-05
Jen Morrison
Jen Morrison marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Perla
Perla marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Sarah is currently reading it
Oct 13, 2014
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Cari Hopkins
Cari Hopkins marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Fernando Morales
Fernando Morales marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014