Start by marking “Deutschland Ein Wintermaerchen” as Want to Read:
Deutschland Ein Wintermaerchen

Deutschland Ein Wintermaerchen

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,563 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Heine war davon überzeugt, daß er mit seinem "Werkchen" Deutschland. Ein Wintermärchen etwas verfaßt hatte, das "mehr Furore machen wird, als die populärste Broschüre, und das dennoch den bleibenden Wert einer klassischen Dichtung haben wird". Recht hatte er. Mit seinem Versepos sollte er zwar in kürzester Zeit die gesamte empörte Presse gegen sich haben, aber auch heute ...more
Published September 1st 2006 by Echo Library (first published 1844)

To ask other readers questions about Deutschland Ein Wintermaerchen, please sign up.

Elke Woll Heine died 150 years ago. The subject of the book is his journey in the early 1840s from his exile in France to visit his mother and his publisher in…moreHeine died 150 years ago. The subject of the book is his journey in the early 1840s from his exile in France to visit his mother and his publisher in Germany.(less)

Matt
This must be one of the most biting works ever written about Germany by a German.

From his exile in Paris in the winter of 1843 Heinrich Heine sets forth to visit his publisher Julius Campe (of the still existing Hoffmann & Campe Publishing House). Heine's path leads him from Aachen via Cologne, K.-Mülheim, Hagen, Paderborn, Detmold, Minden and Hannover to his final destination: Hamburg. The "Winter Tale" is his travelogue.

I don't know how many borders of large and small principalities were t
Sandra
I like reading Heine. His poems have a real flow to them and it always pleases me to read them out loud. Each word has been carefully chosen and the rhyme is nearly always perfect. For me, reading Heine is the feeling of being at sea (while not being seasick): the soft lulling of the waves is the exact flow of these poems.

As for the Wintermärchen (Winter Fairytale) itself, I'm not always quite sure I fully understood it. Yes, it's a satire, definitely; but I felt that even though we have discuss
Alex G.
Oct 02, 2012 Alex G. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I had a bit of a language barrier sometimes - I'm a native French speaker but read it in the original German - the whole was just amazing. In terms of sheer poetry, the music of the verses is absolutely delicious: I loved to read it outloud, so that I could enjoy the sound of even those words I did not understand. Secondly, I really liked the way Heine alternates between loving descriptions of Germany and contemporary satire. Having travelled far and wide in Germany, I knew most of the ...more
Miriam
Jul 05, 2015 Miriam marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Anyone have a translation recommendation?
I'd prefer the uncensored version to the original publication, also.
A Girl Has No Name
Geistreich, humorvoll und kritisch! Deutschland, ein Wintermärchen ist definitiv eine spannende Reise!
Constanza
Mar 09, 2015 Constanza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
El talento de Heinrich Heine se expresa de forma magistral en este libro, a través de una ingeniosa ironía, y a la vez, una profunda sensibilidad. Sus versos son cáusticos, y en ellos critica abiertamente el orden político y social de Alemania. Sin embargo, a pesar del pesimismo de la poesía de Heine, se puede observar su amor por su país incluso entre los más sarcásticos juegos de palabras. El título del libro es dulce y evoca sueños invernales, y aunque el contenido de los poemas muestran un e ...more
Benian Mutlu
Dec 15, 2015 Benian Mutlu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heinrich Heine uses the beauty of the German language and he uses it elegantly even adding more beauty to it. Some of his poems are so authentic that I can imagine the sound of the harp or the conversation between him and his mother that ended in a note which proves the ideological difference and partly an alienation from eachother. He does all this with the use of a a few verses, that are very compressed regarding the content. His critique is not that subtle as he didn't have to fear censorship ...more
John Hatley
Dec 29, 2012 John Hatley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant satirical poem first published in 1844 by one of Germany's foremost poets, "Deutschland. Ein Wintermärchen" (Germany. A Winter's Tale) is a masterpiece of German literature. It is a delight to read and, like most poetry, is probably best read in the original German.
Ana Enriques
Bastante interesantes las ingeniosas críticas de Heine. Especialmente a partir del cap XX, cuando llega a Hamburgo, me gustó mucho cómo se expresa acerca de su ciudad y su gente.
Lennongirl
Clever, Herr Heine, sehr clever. Klug, gewitzt und mit spitzem Sarkasmus. Danke, dass ich mitreisen durfte.
Simon
Mar 27, 2015 Simon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deutsch, poetry
Unglaublich.

Geschrieben mit Witz und Wut, und mit so viel Verlangen. Als Expat fühle ich mich hier verstanden.
El Marcapaginas
Un viaje a lo largo de Europa en el que el autor habla de un montón de referentes y referencias. Fue una lectura pausada pero sesuda donde pude meterme de lleno en el imaginario de Heinrich.
Nora
Apr 03, 2014 Nora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another all time favourite of mine.
L.
Jun 18, 2016 L. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I thought the whole thing was so-so, but I strongly suspect the translation I was reading was not doing justice to the poem. My German isn't good enough to read it in the original language, so I will have to return to it later to see if it's still as clunky and awkward. (It's Heine so it will probably still be awkward, although the clunkiness would be much reduced.)
Vivi Vocat
Feb 22, 2014 Vivi Vocat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, favorites
Es ist ein satirischer Blick auf das Deutschland von 1844. Das vermutlich längste Gedicht der Welt, ganz im Stile des Volksliedes, sprüht vor wehmütigem Witz und scharfzüngiger Ironie. Die liebevolle Abneigung dieser Satire schafft eine kunstvolle literarische Landschaft, deren Gesellschaftskritik sich bis heute eine gewisse Aktualität bewahrt hat.
Ron.K.
Feb 15, 2014 Ron.K. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been fascinated by Heine's life and the way he lived in Paris in exile. His poem "Die schlesischen Weber" was what caught my attention the first time. Such a lovely melody he has, a hidden critic and hate towards the politic and system of the time in Germany but also unlimited love to his people and father land. Enjoyed reading this so much
Ruby
Poor Heine. Sandra has written a better review, go and read that. I mostly agree but was generally completely distracted while reading, which is probably more my fault than his, but it didn't make the experience particulary enjoyable.
Victoria
I really enjoyed this book. It's actually a fairly easy read for non-native speakers and parts of it are incredibly funny. Its disjointedness was a little strange, but ultimately interesting as one tries to understand Heine's point.
Polina
Jan 18, 2016 Polina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was the biggest drag ever. Absolutely boring! Unless one is obsessed with the German History, I would not recommend reading it ..... oh and by the way the whole book is written in verse!!!
Chamber Of Books and Secrets
The writing is really beautiful and the whole concept of this is actually very hilarious and I admire Heine to write about such delicate topics in a time in Germany where it was forbidden.
Kate Dee
Jul 31, 2009 Kate Dee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the few books I had to read in school I actually liked. You have to have extensive knowledge of German history to really appreciate it, though. If you do it is really entertaining.
Jürgen Olschewski
A wonderfully witty poem, brilliantly translated. The introduction and notes are superbly informative. I really want to read it in the original German now.
Sara
Jul 06, 2010 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Heine's poetry, so it was interesting to read one of his more political works, especially since I was in his home town while I was reading it.
Sharon
Jan 31, 2010 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: at-cal, in-german
Another German book Idon't recall, although I wrote an essay about it.
Sonia
Jul 17, 2011 Sonia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So etwas Witziges und Böses habe ich selten gelesen.
Niclas
Oct 27, 2008 Niclas rated it really liked it
Var tyskhetens största kritiker alltid - tyskarna!
Piet Michael
Die schönste Form des Patriotismus: Die kritische!
Bakunin
Jul 29, 2014 Bakunin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic! If you haven't read it, please do!
Stephanie

• Wilhelm Tell
  • Der goldne Topf
  • Lieutenant Gustl
  • Jew Süss
Christian Johann Heinrich Heine was one of the most significant German poets of the 19th century. He was also a journalist, essayist, and literary critic. He is best known outside Germany for his early lyric poetry, which was set to music in the form of Lieder (art songs) by composers such as Robert Schumann and Franz Schubert. Heine's later verse and prose is distinguished by its satirical wit an ...more
More about Heinrich Heine...

“Aufmunternd sprach ich: »Ihr lieben Leut', Ihr müßt nicht jammern und flennen; Troja war eine bessere Stadt Und mußte doch verbrennen.” 1 likes
“Im Kopfe trage ich Bijouterien,