Without a Flaw

Without a Flaw

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  519 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Appearances can be deceiving On the surface, theirs is the perfect marriage. James Dalton is a handsome, successful attorney, while Isabelle is the beautiful, organized wife. Yet, she grows more fearful of her husband every day, and knows she must leave him. But how can she escape from the domineering, violent man who has systematically robbed her of her past, her identity...more
Published January 1st 2002 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about Without a Flaw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Without a Flaw

Kathryn
Shayne
Michele is an amazing writer and a great friend!! I love her stuff and she is an inspiration to me. Without a Flaw is one of my favorites of her novels! I am envious of her travels but know that it is also one of the things that helps to bring her books to life! This story is of a wife and how she fakes her death in order to get away from her abusive husband and start somewhere fresh. But fear always lurks in the shadows and she knows he will find her and is moving in. Her focus, of course is on...more
Melanie
Jun 12, 2008 Melanie added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to forget their own life whle they read.
I liked this book just as much the second time I read it as the first time I read it. It's easy to read and you can relax while reading. It's not hard to remember characters and events if you have to leave it alone for a few days. It's just a "feel good" book.
Jessica Liza
I know this book is crazy and psycho (with the abuse that goes on) but for some reason, I really like it! I like how she finds the strength to move on and be a better person. Again - you may think I'm weird but I really like!
Abby
Jun 26, 2011 Abby rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: lds
okay, i've been wanting to read this for so long. now i have. i honestly couldn't pull myself away from it. it was so riveting. you always wondered what would happen next the whole time.
Ann
This book gave me so much anxiety! I was always thinking ahhh James is gonna get her! A fun thriller.
Janaca
This book kept me on edge! Very suspenseful right from the beginning. I love her writing style!
Lynne
I enjoy Bell's style. It keeps my attention and offers a great escape.
Susan
Isabelle gains enough courage to face her greatest fear--her husband!
Michelle
I loved this book! It only took me a day to read!
Lisa
Fun book to read!
Linnae
Isabelle's husband is a handsome, very sucessful lawyer, from one of the founding families of Boston. Yet ever since their marriage, he has systematically cut her off from the outside world, and become more and more abusive and controlling. Finally Isabelle reaches the breaking point and realizes that her situation must change--or she won't survive it.

A letter from her Great-Aunt in England comes as an answer to prayer, as does James' unexpected business trip. So she fakes her death and runs--no...more
Rebecca
I took this book on a recent trip to read while we were either flying or waiting at the airport. The author had a good plot and there was some good character development, along with some contrived things here and there. But it didn't take away from the enjoyment of reading the book.

If you have ever experienced severe abuse and have strong feelings about it, you may not want to read this book. It won't take away from the story to say that the main character experienced abuse by her husband; this...more
Emily
I have to admit that in the beginning, this book made me not want to get married for a really long time. The main character's first husband was horrible to her, I could not believe the things that he did! When she meets guy #2 I became my normal self again... eager to get married...eventually! haha Overall, I thought it was a great book, the characters had realistic plots and the setting was awesome! I love England! I always love reading stories about characters who find their way back to the go...more
Kelli
Brooke
eh. I feel like I wasted my time. This was not poorly written for LDS fiction as far as prose goes, and the plot was fine, but bland. Overall I just feel... blah. None of the characters really shone, nothing really made you feel. The content was about an abusive husband, but no emotions were invoked in the descriptions... maybe she was just trying to keep it really soft for the publisher. I don't know. Not a total waste of time, I suppose, but I can't help feeling like it was.
Trina
Isabelle has found herself in an abusive, controlling marriage; and in order to get out, she fakes her death and escapes to England to be with her 'long lost' Aunt. But that's just the beginning....I liked how well the author brought in reasonable, believable drama that kept my attention to the end. The author also did a fine job of helping me feel connected to the main character so that I could better enjoy the story.
Kristen
I have read this book about three times, and I never tire of it! This book tells the story of a woman caught in an abusive marriage who finds a chance to escape it by faking her own death. After she escapes she discovers that her husband has been involved in illegal diamond smuggling and that only she has the proof to put him behind bars. It's a fabulous read, and has no objectionable material either!
Laurie
Wow! I didn't know Michele Bell did such great suspense books. If you need a fun, quick read with suspense, set in a lovely English countryside, this is for you! I really liked the description of the town, and the story sucked me in right from the get go. This is LDS suspense/romance genre... lot of fun :)
Mar 24, 2008 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teens and Up
This book was a page-turner! Very exciting and thrilling. It has some suspense and a romantic undertone. It proves the strength of the human soul is greater than the trials we are subjected too. A must-read! Read it in a weekend.
Wendyh
A little bit mystery, a little bit thriller, and a little bit romance all rolled into one. Ended a little too quickly and neatly, but loved the mid-point cat and mouse kind-of thing it had going. An enjoyable read.
Jaymie
I've read this book about 5 times. I really like Michelle's style of writing, although sometimes the descriptions go on for awhile. (I'm a dialogue kind of person.)But it's a fun escape from your day to day life.
Kenzi
This book is really good.I felt so bad for Isabelle throught the whole book. James was so creppy. She should have left him way before the time that she did. I wanted to cry when ever he hit her or got angry.
Susan
Pretty predictable ending. But fun none the less.
Madison
It's about a lady whose husband is abusive and controling so she fakes her death and goes to live with her great-aunt who lives in England. She gets converted to the church and has turned her life around.
Brenda
Definitely not as good as her other books. Sections of it seemed to drag on and the dialog wasn't what I am used to from her. Characters seemed a little one dimensional.
Cass
I thought this was a awesome book! This is one I could read this over and over-I'm NEVER bored of it-and I HAVE read it over and over. It is simply amazing!
Brittany
I love how the main character reclaims herself and eventually turns to face her insecurity and fear. This is a great book that I've read many times.
Kaylee
Never be afraid to call the police in someone!
Even if it is someone that will hirt you when you call!
Michelle
There's one spot where I actually screamed! It's once of my favorite books written by Michele Ashman Bell.
  • Echoes
  • Some Sweet Day
  • Diamonds and Danger (Gems and Espionage, #3)
  • Winter Fire
  • Where the Heart Leads
  • Abandoned
  • Ripple Effect (Undercurrents, #2)
  • Midnight Whispers
I grew up in St. George, Utah, where a lot of my family still lives, but now reside with my husband and family in the Salt Lake City area. My favorite thing to do is support my kids in their many interests. Between basketball, ballet and piano lessons we squeeze a lot into a week, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
More about Michele Ashman Bell...
A Modest Proposal (Butterfly Box, #1) Hometown Girl (Butterfly Box, #2) Finding Paradise The Perfect Fit (Butterfly Box, #3) An Unexpected Love