Start by marking “I, Rhoda Manning, Go Hunting with My Daddy: And Other Stories” as Want to Read:
I, Rhoda Manning, Go Hunting with My Daddy: And Other Stories

I, Rhoda Manning, Go Hunting with My Daddy: And Other Stories

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  353 ratings  ·  12 reviews
With all the poignancy, hilarity, and wisdom that are the hallmarks of her fiction, Ellen Gilchrist introduces a gallery of unforgettable characters-Southern women and men whose off-kilter lives are delicately revealed by the author's keen and forgiving gaze. This jubilantly acclaimed collection affirms anew why, as the Washington Post puts it, 'Ellen Gilchrist should be d ...more
Published August 12th 2003 by Back Bay Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about I, Rhoda Manning, Go Hunting with My Daddy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I, Rhoda Manning, Go Hunting with My Daddy

"It's a gift for a girl to have that kind of father & it's also a curse. It's a gift because you have a safe and fortunate childhood and can grow up strong and unafraid. It's a curse because you cannot reproduce it in the adult world. No man can be that wonderful ever again because only a child's mind can really comprehend wonder."
I love to read before bed, so a collection of short stories is an ideal choice. I can read a single story, then go to bed without being compelled to keep reading. The stories will take over my mind as I try to sleep, finding their ways to my dreams.

Gilchrist writes fascinating stories, with rich characters. The first few all use the same cast of characters, the same family; Rhoda Manning in particular. This was confusing in a sense, because these stories span many years of the family, sometimes
Elizabeth Sulzby
I have read almost all if not all of Ellen Gilchrist's books. Many of them, like this one, are collections of stories about different members of a family and close acquaintances. Each story is self-contained and very colorful, worth reading separately. Gilchrist selects stories for her collections that acquaint the reader with a character at different points in time but not in chronological order. We may find she's reverted to a grown-up character's childhood in a more recent book, for instances ...more
Reading Ellen Gilchrist is comfort brain food for me. Her characters, while memorable, are remarkably similar to one another in attitudes and situation, but somehow reading more and more and yet more stories about the same beautiful, spoiled, lucky people never bores me. Maybe it is because they are confident and determined, and shake off their troubles with seeming ease. It's perfect escapism that somehow inspires.
I have never been disappointed by Ellen Gilchrist. I think this collection of short stories has to be one of the best books by her -- but I think that every time I read something she's written. The reader was well-chosen -- a great voice for these stories.
A collection of short stories, the first several are about the same characters, making it a bit confusing when the rest are not! But all feature well-drawn, believable characters.
Really liked _Rhoda: A Life in Stories_ so was even more disappointed with this than I might normally be.
Kelley Parker

Good bedtime stories. Rhoda is an original
loving it so far. it's different, i like that!
from Barbara Diamond
I love Rhoda Manning.
Ara Dé
Sep 01, 2013 Ara Dé is currently reading it
Mary Jo
Mary Jo marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Toni marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Robyn Plemmons
Robyn Plemmons marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Rollin S. Rhodes, Ph.D.
Rollin S. Rhodes, Ph.D. marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Kmpayton marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Anne Anthony
Anne Anthony marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Janice marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Samantha Grabelle
Samantha Grabelle marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
  • Same Place, Same Things: Stories
  • The Wapshot Scandal
  • How Far She Went
  • The Watch
  • Me and My Baby View the Eclipse
  • Cripple Creek (Turner, #2)
  • Decorations in a Ruined Cemetery
  • Emporium
  • When the Messenger Is Hot
  • Famous Fathers and Other Stories
  • Shoebox Train Wreck
Ellen Gilchrist (born February 20, 1935) is an American novelist, short story writer, and poet. She won a National Book Award for her 1984 collection of short stories, Victory Over Japan.

Source: Wikipedia.
More about Ellen Gilchrist...