Start by marking “Drunk with Love” as Want to Read:
Drunk with Love

Drunk with Love

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  657 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
From one of our most accomplished short story writers, "Drunk with Love" is a deeply compelling collection full of laughter and tears, pathos and tender humor. In these thirteen stories we come to know some of Ellen Gilchrist's most memorable characters: Rhoda Manning, a precocious annd impetuous nine-year-old, confronts an adult world she doesn't yet understand in "1941"; ...more
Published September 30th 1987 by Back Bay Books (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Drunk with Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drunk with Love

Ziggy Lorenc
Jul 09, 2009 Ziggy Lorenc rated it it was amazing

My favorite author. To read her books is like eating an entire box of chocolates in one sitting, only to realize you wish you took your time to savour each one slowly.
Melissa
Mar 23, 2009 Melissa rated it it was amazing
If only because this is where we meet Tracyleen and Miss Crystal!
Leota
Oct 02, 2007 Leota rated it liked it
these stories have stuck with me for years...maybe it's becasue most of them feel unfinished to me. (it's possible gilcrest felt the same...she has at least two other collections where these same characters come back). but i still enjoy them. her language is both beautiful and matter-of-fact, and her characters unforgettable.
Jean
An older (1986) book by an author I hadn’t read before, and a pleasant surprise. The cover art and publication date had me expecting a predictable and tepid book of stories in the ladies’ romance genre. The writing turned out to be sharp, nuanced, and at times haunting. It reminded me of Flannery O’Connor – fifty years down the road -- in its dark, funny, and wise passages. The story format is a bit disconcerting, as some of the stories seem to have the same characters, and some have no connecti ...more
George Ilsley
Oct 08, 2015 George Ilsley rated it really liked it
Some of these stories are linked, and the volume is arranged into four sections. Gilchrist has a strong voice and a smooth confident style, without wasting any effort being showy.

The last story, about a writer, gives us this compelling sentence: "I will create characters and they will tell me my secrets."
April
Aug 16, 2014 April rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Ellen Gilchrist is the best.
Greta
Apr 17, 2011 Greta rated it really liked it
Appreciated this, her first book of collected stories, in part because she has taken these characters so much further in subsequent books. Love the New Orleans connection since we were visiting New Orleans when she talked about beignets at Cafe Monde and a deparge cake among other things drunk with love.
Glen
Jul 12, 2011 Glen rated it really liked it
This has some startling stories, like "The Emancipator" and "The Last Diet", some funny ones like "Traceleen, At Dawn" and many others, almost all enjoyable, readable, with those subtle quirks of narrative voice that leave one wondering, "wow, what made her think of that truth?"
Dutch Rhudy
I liked it. I must have liked it better the first time I read it.
Compared to later novels, the characters were a bit shallow, in retrospect.
My tastes may have changed, which is why I only give it three stars this time.
Tracyrayn
May 17, 2014 Tracyrayn rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written, insightful and piercing comment and view of human life. I loved it. Personally, I found every story unique and full of surprise. Ellen Gilchrist's writing is very moving.
Janocita
Mar 04, 2009 Janocita rated it really liked it
This is one of several books I've read over the years that really stuck with me.
I love her voice and miss hearing her journal entries that she used to read on NPR.
Della Scott
Dec 03, 2012 Della Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Susan Gardner
Mar 06, 2012 Susan Gardner rated it really liked it
For those who love stories, Gilchrist is a champion! For those who don't know Gilchrist yet, you have a treat ahead.
Chas Thompson
Jul 29, 2008 Chas Thompson rated it liked it
I really like her Nora Jane stories, but the others don't seem to be as well written.
Tracy
Apr 13, 2009 Tracy rated it it was amazing
This book was also a gift from Allen. Thanks friend.
Lisa
Feb 21, 2012 Lisa added it
Drunk with Love by Ellen Gilchrist (1987)
Woodie D
this book is funny
Elizabeth
Elizabeth is currently reading it
May 22, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2016
Sarah Weber
Sarah Weber marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
bill knibbe
bill knibbe marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Stephanie Norris
Stephanie Norris rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2016
Brent Forkner
Brent Forkner marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Holly
Holly rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Kathleen McCormick
Kathleen McCormick rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2016
Juliana
Juliana marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
qtasha
qtasha marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
  • The Old Forest and Other Stories
  • Little Kingdoms
  • Middle Son: A Novel
  • Everybody loves you
  • Some Other Place. The Right Place.
  • Going Away Shoes
  • Girl Trouble: Stories
  • Fast Lanes
  • The Bridge
Ellen Gilchrist (born February 20, 1935) is an American novelist, short story writer, and poet. She won a National Book Award for her 1984 collection of short stories, Victory Over Japan.

Source: Wikipedia.
More about Ellen Gilchrist...