Start by marking “Drunk with Love” as Want to Read:
Drunk with Love

Drunk with Love

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  622 ratings  ·  16 reviews
From one of our most accomplished short story writers, "Drunk with Love" is a deeply compelling collection full of laughter and tears, pathos and tender humor. In these thirteen stories we come to know some of Ellen Gilchrist's most memorable characters: Rhoda Manning, a precocious annd impetuous nine-year-old, confronts an adult world she doesn't yet understand in "1941"; ...more
Published September 30th 1987 by Back Bay Books (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Drunk with Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drunk with Love

Ziggy Lorenc

My favorite author. To read her books is like eating an entire box of chocolates in one sitting, only to realize you wish you took your time to savour each one slowly.
Melissa
If only because this is where we meet Tracyleen and Miss Crystal!
Leota
these stories have stuck with me for years...maybe it's becasue most of them feel unfinished to me. (it's possible gilcrest felt the same...she has at least two other collections where these same characters come back). but i still enjoy them. her language is both beautiful and matter-of-fact, and her characters unforgettable.
Jean
An older (1986) book by an author I hadn’t read before, and a pleasant surprise. The cover art and publication date had me expecting a predictable and tepid book of stories in the ladies’ romance genre. The writing turned out to be sharp, nuanced, and at times haunting. It reminded me of Flannery O’Connor – fifty years down the road -- in its dark, funny, and wise passages. The story format is a bit disconcerting, as some of the stories seem to have the same characters, and some have no connecti ...more
April
Ellen Gilchrist is the best.
Greta
Appreciated this, her first book of collected stories, in part because she has taken these characters so much further in subsequent books. Love the New Orleans connection since we were visiting New Orleans when she talked about beignets at Cafe Monde and a deparge cake among other things drunk with love.
Glen
This has some startling stories, like "The Emancipator" and "The Last Diet", some funny ones like "Traceleen, At Dawn" and many others, almost all enjoyable, readable, with those subtle quirks of narrative voice that leave one wondering, "wow, what made her think of that truth?"
Dutch Rhudy
I liked it. I must have liked it better the first time I read it.
Compared to later novels, the characters were a bit shallow, in retrospect.
My tastes may have changed, which is why I only give it three stars this time.
Tracyrayn
Beautifully written, insightful and piercing comment and view of human life. I loved it. Personally, I found every story unique and full of surprise. Ellen Gilchrist's writing is very moving.
Janocita
This is one of several books I've read over the years that really stuck with me.
I love her voice and miss hearing her journal entries that she used to read on NPR.
Susan Gardner
For those who love stories, Gilchrist is a champion! For those who don't know Gilchrist yet, you have a treat ahead.
Chas Thompson
I really like her Nora Jane stories, but the others don't seem to be as well written.
Tracy
This book was also a gift from Allen. Thanks friend.
Lisa
Feb 21, 2012 Lisa added it
Drunk with Love by Ellen Gilchrist (1987)
Woodie D
this book is funny
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Betsy Noyes
Betsy Noyes marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Dory Johson
Dory Johson marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Selah
Selah marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Julie
Julie is currently reading it
May 23, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
  • These People Are Us: Stories
  • The Old Forest and Other Stories
  • Butterfly Weed
  • Fast Lanes
  • Frankenstein/Dracula (Classic Library Series)
  • Outsiders Within: Writing on Transracial Adoption
  • Decorations in a Ruined Cemetery
  • Black Hornet (Lew Griffin, #3)
  • Going Away Shoes
  • Death Is Not an Option
  • Praisesong for the Widow
Ellen Gilchrist (born February 20, 1935) is an American novelist, short story writer, and poet. She won a National Book Award for her 1984 collection of short stories, Victory Over Japan.

Source: Wikipedia.
More about Ellen Gilchrist...
Victory Over Japan: A Book of Stories In the Land of Dreamy Dreams The Anna Papers Rhoda: A Life in Stories I Cannot Get You Close Enough: Three Novellas