Start by marking “The Story of Man” as Want to Read:
The Story of Man

The Story of Man

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  168 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Not just a history of the world, this is also a history for the world. Packed full of fascinating information, it is written in the same lively and accessible style that charmed the readers of Cyril Aydon's previous books Charles Darwin and A Book of Scientific Curiosities. It follows the fortunes and misfortunes of the human race, from the time when our ancestors took the ...more
Published November 9th 2007 by Running Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of Man

Beth
Jan 12, 2010 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finally managed to finish a book!!!! It wasn't the book's fault that it took me so long to read.
I really enjoyed this book. The reason is because it gives an overview of history, starting 150,000 years ago, in broad strokes. As the back of the book says: it gives history not as a series of names and dates but as "developments that have shaped the lives of human beings around the globe[.:]" And I like my history in this way, big, broad sweeps that I can more or less remember.
I also liked how th
Scott Martin
Feb 19, 2015 Scott Martin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When I first picked up this work, it had potential. Granted, to try and have a single volume cover the whole history of mankind is probably not a realistic goal, but it showed some promise of covering some key eras, locations. Yet, especially towards the end, there appeared some rather glaring factual and date errors...the type of things that even a decent editor should have caught. The work went quickly, but I was quite disappointed when finished, especially with some of the issues.
Diana
Jul 10, 2014 Diana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Приятно поднесена разходка във времето за опресняване на знанията (ако човек не се вторачва в недомислици като "ухото на плуга" или "Същевременно (1860 г.) нарастването на населението на големите индустриални центрове във Великобритания довело до нарастване на необходимостта от хранителна енергия под формата на захар.")
Припомня не само какво се е случило, но и обяснява защо.

Много, много грешки от всякакъв източник и естество.
На автора, понеже историята и науката са му хоби, могат да се простят
Peter Mcloughlin
I couldn't get to the library today so I scrounged around in my closet for something to read. This world history in 320 pages was something I was willing to try. Some 700 page books are on a single decade in a single country a world history in 320 pages is a ridiculously small space for the topic. I should have spent the short time reading it on something else. The author isn't bad and there is nothing outrageous about the narrative save its brevity so I don't have much to complain about I just ...more
Georgia Smith
Dec 08, 2014 Georgia Smith rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
It was OK for what I read of it, which was about 150 pages. After that I'm afraid it blurred a little into unimportance. It's one of those typical non-fiction history books, with thick language and thicker chapters. It has a unique slant, though, in that it focuses objectively on the human race, and shows clearly how the human race invented all the many different things, and why. It clearly shows the links between necessity and creation in a way that few other histories do, which is refreshing. ...more
Marija S.
The four stars instead of three is not due to the content itself, because attempting to summarize thousands of years of history in 360 pages is nothing short of ludicrous, but because of the point of view which refrains from glossed-over stereotype history book lessons. A recommendable book as basis for further reading.

Notable Croatian translation by Predrag Raos.
David Williamson
A decent read, but not really what I was looking for. It gave the impression it was a book on the mindset/attitude/zeitgeist etc of mankind in a certain age in time, a more organic free flowing book on changes in perception of the world - we humans inhabit: what it is, is a history book, not a bad one, but not really what I was after. Still, a pleasant read.
Michael
Apr 26, 2012 Michael rated it it was ok
The Story of Man in just 425 pages! It was a nice broad brush 10,000 foot level history until on page 363 the author writes that Adolf Hitler committed suicide in January of 1945. A massive historical mistake. It wrecked the entire book for me.

Of course we all make mistakes but this was a huge blunder and for me called all other facts to question.
Jules
Apr 04, 2016 Jules rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a concise summary of 150, 000 years of human history. Aydon takes us from the ice age right up until the internet age. Her style is effortless and never dry. Good for fans of brief histories or anyone wishing for an accessible overview of world wars, agricultural revolutions and new technologies.
Matthew Johnson
May 20, 2013 Matthew Johnson rated it really liked it
I thought this was fantastic, but thats because im a fan of history being told in the wider sense. He does a fantastic job of cutting out the boring bits and focusing on what was the route cause of broader changes. Though it did take me 3 years or so to get around to finishing it.
Welzen
Feb 28, 2012 Welzen rated it really liked it
Es una muy buena novela que nos lleva desde los orígenes del hombre hasta la actualidad. La única pega que le pongo es que confunde a Isabel la Católica con Isabel la mujer de Carlos I de España. Pero a parte de eso un gran libro.
Maud
Very interesting, and succinct enough to stay interesting throughout.
Mike Andrews
Jun 26, 2015 Mike Andrews rated it did not like it
The anti-religion bigotry of the book made it unreadable.
Leeloo92
Leeloo92 is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2016
Milena
Milena marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Jesús Herrera
Jesús Herrera marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
James Gunn
James Gunn rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Sur Gurung
Sur Gurung rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2016
Oscar
Oscar marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Tania Chanda
Tania Chanda marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Chaoying Xue
Chaoying Xue marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Tkess
Tkess added it
Jun 03, 2016
Alex Liu
Alex Liu rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
Sinem Gülen
Sinem Gülen marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Stratos Maragos
Stratos Maragos marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Severance Biro
Severance Biro marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Cnikola
Cnikola rated it it was ok
May 09, 2016
Lakshmi
Lakshmi marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Alejandra
Alejandra rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2016
  • A Brief History of the Third Reich
  • The Plausibility of Life: Resolving Darwin's Dilemma
  • The Art of Italian Renaissance
  • A Brief History of the Middle East
  • A Brief History of British Kings and Queens: British Royal History from Alfred the Great to the Present
  • Das Dorf der Mörder
  • Years of Renewal
  • From Babel to Dragomans: Interpreting the Middle East
  • Uncommon Wisdom: Conversations With Remarkable People
  • The Eden Prophecy (Hawker & Laidlaw, #3)
  • The Habsburgs: Embodying Empire