Images of Organization

Images of Organization

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  208 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Morgan shows managers how to break free of management fads by understanding the strengths and weaknesses of management metaphors and applying them to organizational life.
Published May 9th 2006 by Sage Publications (CA) (first published 1986)

Shahine Ardeshir
The idea behind this book is terrific: Change the metaphor through which you look at an organization, and you'll discover facets about it that you didn't earlier think of. It struck me as a novel way to look at management, and that's what made me pick it up.

The warning I would give, however, is that this is less a book to read and more one to refer to. It's tonality, structure, and flow (or rather, lack thereof) all reminded me of the textbooks I read in college. It was long winded, often unnece...more
Michele
i hate this book. if you are ever required to buy it for school DO NOT
Jordan Peacock
Easily in my top five 'idea' books - essential reading for anyone.
Jan
I was first introduced to Gareth Morgen's images of organization in an introduction course in Organization and Manangement at my first term of a bachelor program in Management. In retrospect I imagine my introduction to this work as a gathering of organizational academics happy for their reunion, passionately discussing organizational theory while opening new bottles of red wine:

-the passion for the subject and their lingual capabilities are reflected in that this work is great litterature.
-the...more
Sarah Clement
I can see why this work has become popular among managers, as it prescribes a sort of ideal organisation in which we'd all like to work. Drawing on chaos and complexity theory, Morgan describes organisations that are dynamic, self-organising and adaptive; very much consistent with the idea of a 'learning organisation' developed by Senge. Like this organisational form, I have my doubts about how much of this has actually been proven empirically, and if you look at the peer-reviewed literature, th...more
Nathaniel
It's ok. Maybe it's just my impression of the class I had to read it for bleeding out into my overall impression of the book itself, but I found it to be a bit dull. Morgan has some good insights into how organizations work - his ideas about organizational culture in particular are particularly good. However, overall this book just seems a bit on the ephemeral side for my tastes. Maybe this is just because, even after about 18 graduate credits' worth of management-related education, I still don'...more
Mark Jacobsen
I like lenses. Graham Allison's classic "Essence of Decision" opened my eyes to the value of multiple lenses in analyzing decision-making, and Gareth Morgan has now done the same for my understanding of organizational structure and behavior. Multiple lenses are powerful analytical tools for observers to study an issue; by illuminating the issue from radically different perspectives, they help observers develop rich, nuanced conclusions. I have never formally studied organizational management, so...more
Karen
OK, so I am reading this for school, but I LOVE IT!!!! It's for the Organizational Theory and Change course, and it's been able to give me a framework to explain organizations I have been involved with - how they operate, why and what does / does not make sense. As a disclaimer I fully admit to being a theory nerd.

The book takes a "metaphor lens" approach to looking at organizations to explain how they function and communicate. It looks at the benefits and disadvantages of various approaches, wi...more
Britton Bush
Interesting, provocative, and extremely useful method of analyzing organizations. The commentary, analysis, and examples that Morgan uses in 'Images or Organizations' aid perfectly in the presentation of organizational analysis. Morgan uses metaphor lenses a method of investigating organizations. Each metaphor acts as an aid in which analysts can gain, perhaps previously unseen, insights about any organization in question. Great book for anyone in pursuit of organization and administration theor...more
Hafez Shurrab
For better understanding of how organizations may work, I recommend reading this book thoroughly. I started to better understand the theory of organizations when I have read it. It is very helpful for understanding the processes inside and across organizations. If you want to manage and lead an organization in the future, you would not regret it to read this book.
Pedro Vieira lomar
Muito bom se voce pular metade dos capitulos gerais. A ideia de multiplas interpretacoes metaforicas par as organizacoes e excelente, mas faria mais sentido se fossem explicadas em conjunto.
Melanie
This book is boring. I mean, I get what is talking about with the metaphors and all, but the chapters could have been shorter, since he kept writing about the same ideas for pages.
Samir Dhond
One of the most profound books I have ever read about an organiation. I liked this book for its approach of looking at organizations. Very insightful and educational.
Scott
A tough read, but good organizational theory. Very much like reading the blueprints to the Space Shuttle -- dry, not fun, but its all there.
Michelle
Incredible insight on the use of metaphor for learning more about organizational theory. Great concept and interesting read.
Katy
it's a text book, I'm counting it on my goodreads. It's interesting look at organizations but really it's a text book.
Jeremy
Read this in grad school and loved it. I'm currently revisiting various chapters.
Diane Stlouis hulse
A profound way of understanding theory. All theory is metaphor.
Laure
Ah, Lead 103. What an extremely...repetitive...experience.
Mindy
Sep 19, 2012 Mindy marked it as to-read
Recommended by Jason Kovac
Sharon Peng
Sharon Peng marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Arthur Rijkers
Arthur Rijkers marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
M. Fullick
M. Fullick marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Javahn Marshall
Javahn Marshall marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Dilip
Dilip added it
Apr 18, 2014
  • Reframing Organizations: Artistry, Choice, and Leadership
  • The Principles of Scientific Management
  • Leadership and the New Science: Discovering Order in a Chaotic World
  • Synchronicity: The Inner Path of Leadership
  • Organizational Culture and Leadership (The Jossey-Bass Business & Management Series)
  • Presence: An Exploration of Profound Change in People, Organizations, and Society
  • Age of Unreason
  • Bureaucracy: What Government Agencies Do and Why They Do It
  • Essence of Decision: Explaining the Cuban Missile Crisis
  • Theory U: Leading from the Future as it Emerges
  • Hard Facts, Dangerous Half-Truths, and Total Nonsense: Profiting from Evidence-based Management
  • Leadership on the Line: Staying Alive Through the Dangers of Leading
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Strategy (including featured article �What Is Strategy?� by Michael E. Porter)
  • A Practical Guide for Policy Analysis: The Eightfold Path to More Effective Problem Solving
  • Case Study Research: Design and Methods (Applied Social Research Methods)
  • How the Way We Talk Can Change the Way We Work: Seven Languages for Transformation
  • Social Psychology
  • Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches
Imaginization: New Mindsets For Seeing, Organizing And Managing After the Panic: Surviving Bad Investments and Bad Advice Creative Organization Theory: A Resourcebook Imagens da Organização How Things Grow (Fun With Science)