Start by marking “A History of U. S.: War, Peace & All That Jazz (History of U. S.)” as Want to Read:
A History of U. S.: War, Peace & All That Jazz (History of U. S.)

A History of U. S.: War, Peace & All That Jazz (A History of US #9)

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  158 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Presents the history of America from the earliest times of the Native Americans to the Clinton administration.
Published November 21st 1996 by Oxford University Press (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about A History of U. S., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A History of U. S.

Madilyn
Apr 28, 2016 Madilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
8Y, Review 7, 224 pages, 4/28/2016

History is an intriguing part of us. We can learn from it, and we can know what mistakes (as mankind) we made. The book A History of US: War, Peace, and All That Jazz: 1918-1945, written by Joy Hakim, deals with a time period where we had both the good times and the bad times. Even though this chapter of history is certainly not one that’s my favorite, it is nonetheless important to know about the events in this book.

A literary device that is effectively used i
Blake
Jul 16, 2008 Blake rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-unabridged
This was book 9 and I will not read the others. For the most part however the book was good. however I feel it appeared to be written by a person of liberal and anti republican thinking. I am concerned that the youth of today would not realize the price of freedoms that get lost when socialism's and programs that encourage many social programs are implemented. Its a very fine line that must be walked when writing history.
Jenevieve
Aug 31, 2013 Jenevieve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
Middle-School History covering 1918-1945. Model T's, wood-frame airplanes, radios, Prohibition, jazz, the Roaring Twenties, Babe Ruth, flappers, the Depression, and two World Wars...all in a thirty-year span. That pretty much gives a good summary of what you find in this book. I've noticed that now that things are getting closer to modern times, the jumping around is much less and the author makes it a point to detail a lot more than what I remember learning about from my history classes, middle ...more
Evelynn
I'm not very interested in this particular time period for the U.S., but I do find the information about both World Wars fascinating. The last few chapters covering the second World War really brought the devastation that the first atomic bombs created to life, and it's heartbreaking that we had to go to such measures to end that terrible war.
Ron
Jan 12, 2015 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read War, Peace, and All That Jazz in the evening with my son as part of his history curriculum. It covered both world wars very briefly and with misplaced emphasis especially in regard top WWII events. Still a decent coverage of Depression America.
Kerry
May 28, 2008 Kerry rated it really liked it
I was taking a history class when I listened to this book. I have a hard time memorizing facts that are meaningless to me. This book was told like a story and it was easy to follow and relate to the characters and so some of it at least stuck in my brain. I'm not a history buff by any stretch of the imagination - so this was a perfect way for me to learn about this period in history.
Melissa
I'm not sure why I was giving the earlier volumes in this series only 2 stars. The writing is totally corny in many places, and obviously a lot of information is overly simplified for this format, but as I finish the series, I appreciate the project of it more. The special section on art in the 9th book was a nice bonus too.
Taylor
Apr 17, 2013 Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
War, Peace, and All That Jazz: 1918-1945 is the very best book for information about the aftermath of World War I all the way to the end of World War II. This bok talks about Hitler before the rise of Nazi Germany, D-Day, Allies and Axis, and important people that weren't part if the war.
Dexter
Mar 17, 2013 Dexter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, history
I enjoy the style of these history books, which means that I feel like I've actually learned and retained some knowledge when I finish them. A good general history book about the early/mid 1900s.
Theresa
Aug 24, 2011 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
great information broken down for children at an elementary reading level a good childrens resource with text, pictures and informationa but the us history
Ariel Paiement
Apr 27, 2013 Ariel Paiement rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, favorites
This book was wonderful! I loved it and like all the books before it, this one was easy to understand and provided good, solid information!
Conner
Dec 17, 2010 Conner rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: second-quarter
This is a book full of facts and infomation. It has good facts and history. It is from 1918-1945. It was an ok book
Emily
May 27, 2013 Emily rated it it was ok
Shelves:
I don't care for the authors rather socialistic anti-republican view which is easily seen
Skye
Apr 19, 2012 Skye rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschool
Good book to go with the rest of the series.
Judy
Mar 04, 2012 Judy added it
Interesting way to read the history of US
Katia
It was good but at times the author can be mean.
Andrew
Eloise
Eloise added it
Jun 24, 2016
Karina Dulin
Karina Dulin marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Cynthia Webb
Cynthia Webb rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Sarah added it
May 15, 2016
Tiffany Matthews
Tiffany Matthews marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Taylor
Taylor rated it liked it
May 07, 2016
S. M. Metzler
S. M. Metzler rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Angela
Angela rated it liked it
May 20, 2016
Kendall
Kendall rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
  • Traitor: the Case of Benedict Arnold
  • The Landing of the Pilgrims
  • Moonshiner's Son
  • Stink Alley
  • World War II: The Rest Of The Story And How It Affects You Today, 1930 To September 11, 2001
  • The Slopes of War
  • The Yanks Are Coming: The United States In The First World War
  • Bound for Oregon
  • My Heart Lies South: The Story of My Mexican Marriage
  • Dragon's Gate (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #3)
  • Cameron Townsend: Good News in Every Language (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • The Boys' War: Confederate and Union Soldiers Talk About the Civil War
  • Bonanza Girl
  • The Modern Age: From Victoria's Empire to the End of the USSR (The Story of the World #4)
  • The World of Columbus and Sons
  • Nothing to Fear
  • Sacajawea
  • Sarah Morton's Day: A Day In The Life Of A Pilgrim Girl
My husband and I live most of the year in Colorado, but we also have a longtime home in Virginia. I grew up in Rutland, Vermont and graduated from Rutland High School. I earned a bachelor's degree in government at Smith College, a master's degree in education from Goucher College, as well as an honorary doctorate from Goucher.

I've been a teacher: in Syracuse, New York; Omaha, Nebraska; and Virgini
More about Joy Hakim...

A History of US (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • A History of US: Book One: The First Americans (Prehistory-1600)
  • Making Thirteen Colonies: 1600-1740 A History of US (A History of US #2)
  • From Colonies to Country 1735-1791 (A History of US #3)
  • The New Nation: 1789-1850 (A History of US #4)
  • A History of US: Book 5: Liberty for All? 1820-1860
  • A History of US: Book 6: War, Terrible War 1855-1865
  • A History of US: Book 7: Reconstructing America 1865-1890
  • An Age of Extremes 1880-1917 (A History of US #8)
  • A History of U.S.: All the People (History of U. S.)
  • A History of US: Sourcebook and Index: A History of US Book Eleven