Start by marking “Vincent's Colors” as Want to Read:
Vincent's Colors

Vincent's Colors

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  169 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Vincent van Gogh is one of the world's most famous artists. Throughout his life, he wrote to his younger brother, Theo, about his colorful, dynamic paintings. This book pairs the artist's paintings with his own words. Van Gogh's descriptions, arranged as a simple rhyme, introduce young readers to all the colors of the rainbowand beyond. The descriptive words combine with s ...more
Published September 29th 2005 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Vincent's Colors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vincent's Colors

Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett JohnsonThe Dot by Peter H. ReynoldsIsh by Peter H. ReynoldsMouse Paint by Ellen Stoll WalshArt & Max by David Wiesner
Children Books About Art
28th out of 114 books — 100 voters
Linnea in Monet's Garden by Christina BjörkYou Can't Take a Balloon into the Metropolitan Museum by Jacqueline Preiss WeitzmanYou Can't Take a Balloon into the National Gallery by Jacqueline Preiss WeitzmanThe Fantastic Jungles of Henri Rousseau by Michelle MarkelYou Can't Take a Balloon into the Museum of Fine Arts by Jacqueline Preiss Weitzman
Picture Books About Museums
29th out of 53 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Karen
Mar 24, 2013 Karen rated it it was ok
Vincent van Gogh's art is fabulous. This book isn't that great though. But I didn't get it for the words, so I suppose it was exactly what I wanted.
Anna Richland
Sep 29, 2013 Anna Richland rated it it was ok
Shelves: teaching-art, kids, art
The art is inspiringly selected and well-presented in a high quality color format, but the text paired with the photos didn't work for me. It might be that there are only a few words on each page, as if this book was trying to be a baby reader, when actually the concepts are fairly hard. Children deserve more clarity, if they are reading it alone, or the adult reading it to them deserves a bit more help from the author, whether that comes from a small type picture caption or an in-line explanati ...more
Tina Smith
I love the simplicity of this book! Primarily it's a catalog of Van Gogh paintings, with limited words. Each page a new painting, with a line of text describing it. At the back of the book, more details on each painting. Simple, clean, quick, enjoyable read. It's more about the paintings than the words. Great for all ages.
AJ
Mar 09, 2016 AJ rated it it was ok
This book was "okay" on the cover it says "words and pictures by Vincent Van Gogh" which is true... sort of. Each page has maybe six or seven words which, while taken from letters between VG and his brother, are really mere short descriptions that the editor herself could have written. Examples are "A yellow sky" "a man in a red cap". I know it should be simple for children but really if you're going to pull excerpts from his letters they should be worthy of being called excerpts.
Kimberley
Jun 22, 2015 Kimberley rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous book that I was going to give to my nephew, but I've decided to keep for myself, and I can read it to him when he comes to visit me.
Jaclyn
Mar 23, 2016 Jaclyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A simple book that is perfect for introducing young children to Van Gogh.
Emily
May 14, 2008 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: concept
Summary: Statements from the correspondence of Van Gogh are paired with his pictures in an exploration of color.

Review: A great way to introduce an artist and practice colors. The use of his own words make this paring of art and colors both effective and touching.

Positive review by Horn book, "The phrases form a simple rhyme, the words prompting young readers to recognize specific visual details in the art." Also positive review by SLJ,"A perfect addition as a picture book or as a simple introd
Larecia
Mar 20, 2012 Larecia rated it it was amazing
Short bio on Van Gogh. Descriptions in his own words of his famous artwork. Simple text, easy words for younger children to read and comprehend. Could use this book during an art lesson or when talking about descriptive words to spice up a writing piece and add interest.
Katsumi
Jul 17, 2012 Katsumi rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
This book is extremely simple. On each page, it has photos of Van Gogh's work with the title, so it becomes educational for the parent as well. The colors are bold and vibrant to stimulate the mind's of young children. This book makes a wonderful and thoughtful gift.
Lesley Looper
Jul 09, 2009 Lesley Looper rated it really liked it
Wow, what a nice book for introducing Van Gogh to children!! The book includes several of Van Gogh's more well-known, brightly colored paintings, with descriptive words that many young readers have already mastered.
Amanda Pless
May 23, 2008 Amanda Pless rated it really liked it
This book includes both vivid images as well as words from the artist from some of his letters that he wrote to his family. It is a very good art history book. This book is good for children of all ages.
Maria
Oct 31, 2012 Maria rated it it was amazing
Vincent Van Gogh is my favorite artist. I love how his paintings were put in with his exact words in this children's book. Starry Night is a great painting but he has so many others. Swirly.
Ashley Correll
Apr 25, 2010 Ashley Correll rated it really liked it
Vincent van Gogh is an artist that created many masterpieces. Throughout his life he wrote letters to his brother, and described his many paintings. This book is great for art lovers.
A.
Apr 23, 2010 A. rated it really liked it
I like the idea of this book.

They've used one line to comment on some of Van Gogh's paintings. The lines are VG's own words.

It's suitable for level one readers.
Veronica Davidson
My sis gave me this at Christmas. Although, she forgot the paint by numbers set I requested with the book.
Missy
Jul 06, 2011 Missy rated it really liked it
A nice little collection of van Gogh art with a few words he wrote himself about each piece.
Turrean
Loved it. Simple, beautiful, worked as a read-aloud and for small group. So much to look at!
Abby Jones
Mar 25, 2016 Abby Jones added it
Shelves: art-books
Simple book. Can be used to learn Van Gogh history in a classroom.
Chenise
Dec 02, 2013 Chenise rated it really liked it
Cool Vangough children's book that I picked up from a thrift store awhile ago. Nice art.
Marie
May 09, 2009 Marie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 2-5 years old
Shelves: picture_books, art
Another beautiful art book with simple text and full-page images of Van Gogh's artwork.
Brianna Jones
Feb 13, 2009 Brianna Jones rated it it was amazing
A great way to introduce children to Vincent Van Gogh and fine art.
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Kailyn Jackson
Kailyn Jackson marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Stephanie Robinson
Stephanie Robinson rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
Emily Ewing
Emily Ewing rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2016
Patty
Patty marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
TTFLS
TTFLS marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: Need help to separate, please 3 20 Mar 27, 2013 12:14AM
  • Camille and the Sunflowers: A Story about Vincent van Gogh
  • Katie and the Sunflowers (Katie)
  • I Spy: An Alphabet in Art
  • The Imaginary Garden
  • Rain School
  • A Picnic with Monet
  • Dreaming Up: A Celebration of Building
  • A Wizard from the Start: The Incredible Boyhood and Amazing Inventions of Thomas Edison
  • The Fantastic Jungles of Henri Rousseau