Start by marking “Kill Zone (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #1)” as Want to Read:
Kill Zone (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #1)

Kill Zone (Kyle Swanson Sniper #1)

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  2,459 Ratings  ·  122 Reviews
An American general is captured in the Middle East by terrorists who threaten to behead him within days. One strange fact: moments before he is rendered unconscious during the attack, the general notices that his captors speak American English. What’s going on?
Gunnery Sgt. Kyle Swanson, a top Marine sniper, is vacationing on a yacht in the Mediterranean when he rece
Published November 13th 2007 by St. Martin's Press (first published June 13th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Kill Zone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kill Zone

Mike (the Paladin)
Jan 30, 2017 Mike (the Paladin) rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I have been planning to get to this one a long time and even asked the library to get it....I may need to apologize for that. I am about half way through and I've finally laid it aside.

There is some promise here when we begin I suppose. It's nothing outstanding but it could have been a good solid action read but the author just can't help but express (at great length) his own political views and prejudices. I hung on through the first few but then we got to one where the "political antagonist" m
Mike
Ok, this might be dumb, but I just have to take major issue with Kill Zone. I expect better research and realism when a “renowned sniper” is the coauthor of an action novel set in a military environment. I expect accuracy…the authors should fire every editor they used. And they should make major mea culpas as well. For starters, here is an early excerpt where the national security advisor and the US senator, co-conspirators both, are insulting each other as the plot begins:

Unspoken was the barb
Donna
Apr 15, 2017 Donna rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
This one didn't do it for me. There were too many characters to begin with. And for some reason I had a problem with the language which is usually never a problem with me. It was actually my second language. Its overuse was a little annoying. It was used to determine a type of rough venacular. As an example, in Harry Potter, I didn't find that type of writing to determine accent and venacular, off putting because I wasn't familiar with that kind of speech. So it worked. But here, who isn't famil ...more
Wayne
Nov 28, 2013 Wayne rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Adults
Recommended to Wayne by: Goodreads
I have found a new author in Jack Coughlin. Having read all of Vince Flynn's books and saddened by his early death due to prostate cancer I started into reading Ben Coes and Stephen Hunter. Having read their books I have now turned to Jack Coughlin and find his first book of Marine sniper Kyle Swanson to be very good. This Marine found himself in a clandestine plot to turn the U.S Military into a private security force. This would of course be to the financial advantage of some ruthless characte ...more
Glen
Jun 28, 2017 Glen rated it really liked it
First book in the Kyle Swanson series is pretty decent. A Marine general is kidnapped by the usual terrorists, but it's all part of the plan of a deep state coup. Swanson ends up having to rescue the general alone, of course.

Pretty good, even if it does occasionally bow to PC, unlike a lot of books in this genre.
Jeffrey
Apr 10, 2008 Jeffrey rated it liked it
Recommends it for: MILITARY THRILLER FAN
Decent yarn about a sniper's rescue of a kidnapped general held by American terrorists planning a plot to bring down the government, The authors, one a former Marine sniper and the other a professional writer, know the military equipment and put together a decent novel.
Ryan
Apr 03, 2014 Ryan rated it it was amazing
If you liked "Point of Impact" by Stephen Hunter, you will like this book. There are a lot of parallels between Bob Lee Swagger and Kyle Swanson. Very worth the read.
Jack Quinn
Apr 01, 2017 Jack Quinn rated it it was ok
This is Tom Clancy without the strategic breadth or Lee Child without the suspense and characterization. Run-of-the-mill airport thriller crap. (And it's ghostwritten, too, which puts my respect for Coughlin as a writer straight into the gutter. If I'm going to put in effort reading your book, the least you could do is to put in the effort to make the words your own.)
Robin
Mar 25, 2009 Robin rated it really liked it
This gets four stars because even though I thought there were problems with it, I couldn't stop reading it. And, by the end, I realized I'd liked it a lot.

Part of the problem, I think, was reader interference. Whenever you have a book that deals with politics, even tangentially like this one does, I can't help but try and decipher the unwritten (and probably unintentioned) messages. Does this author have a political bias? Do they lean in one direction or the other? What does it mean if they DO
Wendy Koedoot
Sep 14, 2015 Wendy Koedoot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Het verhaal gaat over Kyle Swanson, de beste sluipschutter van het Korps Mariniers van de Verenigde Staten. Tijdens een vakantie in de Middellandse zee komt er een opdracht binnen. Hij moet een in het Midden Oosten ontvoerde generaal in veiligheid brengen. Een makkelijke opdracht zou je zeggen, maar niets is minder waar. Tijdens de landing in Syrië lopen ze in een hinderlaag. Hoe kan het dat de operatie uitgelekt is? Maar enkele officiers weten ervan…
Kyle is de enige overlevende van zijn missie,
Alain Burrese
Aug 04, 2012 Alain Burrese rated it really liked it
I read Gunnery Sgt. Jack Coughlin's autobiography, "Shooter" when it first came out and enjoyed it. Now, I've finally read the first of Coughlin's sniper novels, "Kill Zone," written with Donald A. Davis. I really enjoyed it. It's probably a given, being that I am a former Army sniper, that I'm going to enjoy a novel about a sniper, written by a former Marine sniper. So yes, I enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to reading the next ones.

The hero, Gunnery Sgt. Kyle Swanson, a top Marine sniper, i
GymGuy
Jan 30, 2014 GymGuy rated it liked it
I had some problems rating this book. Parts were quite good, but I had a number of problems.

On the positive side, the story has lots of action and is filled with terrific detail that only a real-life sniper would be able to add. The descriptions were vivid and you felt like you were really there. The writing style was okay.

However, on the down side, while the author knows a lot about military action, the book runs amuck when it comes to the political side. I didn't believe the basic para-militar
Josh Hesterman
Mar 03, 2009 Josh Hesterman rated it did not like it
Pretty terrible writing. Unlikable narrator. I was hoping for something technical and psychological, but I didn't really get either.

A total Meh of a book.
Anja L
Dec 07, 2016 Anja L rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK! I love Kyle and Shari and Double-Oh
Trent
Aug 17, 2013 Trent rated it it was amazing
Great start to a great series
Susana789
Jun 27, 2017 Susana789 rated it liked it
Po predchádzajúcej sérii je toto trochu návrat do čias klasickej Vysokej hry patriotov so všetkým od hrdinských vojakov cez ochotných vojakov až po *censored* politikov a s následným (skoro)happy-endom, po ktorom je zlo potrestané, čitateľ získa dojem morálnej satisfakcie a autor zanechá hrdinu v pozícii osamelého vlka s patričným oným (psychologickým issue: broken heart because love interest is dead). Nebyť tých oných (čitateľsky atraktívnych stereotypných klišé) bolo by to na viac hviezdičiek, ...more
Vic
Jan 15, 2017 Vic rated it it was amazing
Excellent read.
Bob Clarkson
Aug 30, 2015 Bob Clarkson rated it it was ok
This book is really difficult for me to rate. I liked the action in the book, but the basic premise, to me, is absolutely out somewhere in left field. Mercenary's? Really?

All you have to do is to look to your history. Any high functioning governments who started using merc's as their main force for their military immediately tipped over and crashed. Merc's just can't take the place of citizens who are protecting their country. A large number of people will point to the high cost of training sold
AudioBookReviewer
Aug 10, 2015 AudioBookReviewer rated it it was amazing
ABR's original Kill Zone audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

I love a book that starts out with a bang and keeps getting better. This one does that and more.

In the Middle East an American General has been kidnapped and his personnel have been murdered. General Middleton realizes that the kidnappers are speaking American English. They are not Arabs! Then he is knocked out with an injection of drugs. This starts a series of events that bring the general and Gunnery
Ryan Campbell
Aug 28, 2014 Ryan Campbell rated it it was ok
This book could have been a solid three stars. It had an interesting, if far-fetched premise, and the promise of a glimpse into the world of a fictional sniper, written by someone who knew all about that world.

Unfortunately, he (or his co-author or their editor) didn't know and didn't bother to verify numerous details that were incorrect and detracted from the story. When I read a "military" novel I expect those details to be correct because unlike most of the people in the world, they are famil
Paul
Jun 29, 2014 Paul rated it it was ok
After the first unnecessary brutal and casual murder, of a woman military officer, I decided to give the book one more chance to redeem itself.
Then the invectives started getting to me. Since I have been in the military, I am familiar with the talk and not bothered by a reasonable amount, but this was just too much. That much offensive talk by empty headed studs is unacceptable in civilian life.
Then came the 1960s style chest puffing talk of characters to their accompanying females, which went
Joseph Mervitz
Jan 25, 2013 Joseph Mervitz rated it it was amazing
Probably one of the best military books I've read. Not only does it bring about the purpose, motive and aftereffects of war but it hi-lights individual contribution.

The main character is portrayed as a hero to some and a villain to others. You get sucked in into Kyle's experiences and become obsessed with his action, thoughts and words. Every time he holds his breath to stabilize his weapon, focus his mind and wait on his target, the bullet of suspense is unleashed and a satisfactory result is
Paul Birkett
Jul 16, 2014 Paul Birkett rated it it was amazing
Jack Coughlin is a master plotsmith!
I am so used to authors who can only sustain tension in a plot by having the characters behave in a foolish and unbelievable way, that I found myself astonished as, page after page, the characters communicated important information and generally behaved realistically - and yet the plot tension was maintained as the story unfolded. The initial premise is actually pretty preposterous but at least we get sensible believable characters. I will definitely read mor
Warren R.
Sep 19, 2015 Warren R. rated it it was amazing
A highly successful military/political thriller set in today's world, Kill Zone is hard to put down---in fact, I read it in a day: couldn't stop reading. Just the right amount of military background, political intrigue, action, and characterization. Well worth reading. It also shows some strong feelings that I know are common in the military regarding the increasing use of unregulated and legally immune mercenaries. A great read.
Dawn
Jun 23, 2014 Dawn rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the book about a sniper playing both sniper and "special forces" to extract a kidnapped General. Fun and not too technical as far as the weapons and artillery. Just enough to get a good sense if it for us novices. My weapon technical friends recommended the book so I was surprised by the good balance.

I will read more if not all of the rest if the series. I have a new author to read - very excited!!
Barbara
Nov 30, 2011 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction-snipers
Another good one for Kyle Swanson. I like the fact that he has to wrestle with what he has done, even though he is committed to doing the right thing, which sometimes works out that someone has to die by his hand. I think of my two nephews in the Marines, both with sniper training; one came home with PTSD because he couldn't integrate the killing into his worldview, and the other still in the field, doing his job. I hope when he comes home he can learn to live happily once more.
Andrew
Fantastic. A bad-ass SpecOps warrior on a mission compromised by shadowy Washington D.C. types, a Marine Corps general's life on the line, the Syrians, American mercenaries. It's all happening om 'Kill Zone', which is quite a way to introduce Kyle Swanson. Loved every single page. There isn't a dull moment!
Kathy
Mar 26, 2012 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: haveread
Yea! A new author to ravage! I don't know how I came across this author but I would put him above Vince Flynn and Daniel Silva and all of the other wonderful action thriller writers I enjoy. And he has about 5 more books out there for me to read. Can't wait! Fast action, gripping, exciting, surprising, fun, full of adventure and suspense and drama. Just perfect!
Christopher Dodds
Dec 23, 2016 Christopher Dodds rated it it was amazing
This was such a high octane action book to read and I loved every moment of it, but it also had great characters in it and huge amounts of suspense and plot development. The main character of Kyle Swanson is a great but flawed person who knows what he has to do and just gets on with it.
Suresh
Sep 15, 2012 Suresh rated it it was amazing
If you like Vince Flynn and Mitch Rapp, you'll love Kyle Swanson in Kill Zone. A fast paced action thriller by Jack Coughlin. You don't want to put down this book and when you do, you're ready for more!
  • Black Site (Delta Force, #1)
  • Dead Zero (Bob Lee Swagger, #7; Ray Cruz, #1)
  • War Torn (War Torn, #1)
  • The Sniper and the Wolf (Sniper Elite, #3)
  • Nimitz Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #1)
  • The Increment (Matt Browning, #2)
  • Behind the Lines (The Corps, #7)
  • Exit Plan (Jerry Mitchell, #3)
  • One Rough Man (Pike Logan, #1)
  • Hawke (Alexander Hawke, #1)
  • Mercenary, (Stratton, #5)
  • Death Force (Death Force, #1)
  • Easy Day for the Dead (SEAL Team Six Outcasts, #2)
132058
Gunnery Sgt. Jack Coughlin’s autobiography, Shooter, describes his experiences as the top-ranked marine sniper in the Iraq War.

Coughlin is also the author, with Donald A. Davis, of the Kyle Swanson Sniper Novels: Kill Zone, Dead Shot, Clean Kill, and An Act of Treason.

Coughlin grew up in Waltham, Massachusetts, and joined the Marines when he was 19. He served with the Marines during the drive to
More about Jack Coughlin...

Kyle Swanson Sniper (10 books)
  • Dead Shot (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #2)
  • Clean Kill (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #3)
  • An Act of Treason (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #4)
  • Running the Maze (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #5)
  • Time to Kill (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #6)
  • On Scope (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #7)
  • Night of the Cobra (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #8)
  • Long Shot (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #9)
  • In the Crosshairs (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #10)

“While speed was important, doing it right was more important.” 2 likes