Kill Zone (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #1)

Kill Zone (Kyle Swanson Sniper #1)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  1,242 ratings  ·  73 reviews
An American general is captured in the Middle East by terrorists who threaten to behead him within days. One strange fact: moments before he is rendered unconscious during the attack, the general notices that his captors speak American English. What’s going on?

Gunnery Sgt. Kyle Swanson, a top Marine sniper, is vacationing on a yacht in the Mediterranean when he receives or...more
Published November 13th 2007 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Kill Zone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kill Zone

Sniper One by Dan MillsMarine Sniper by Charles W. HendersonPoint of Impact by Stephen HunterDear Mom by Joseph T. WardTime to Hunt by Stephen Hunter
Best Books about Snipers and Sniping
14th out of 16 books — 4 voters
The Diaries of Pontius Pilate by Joseph Max LewisAmerican Assassin by Vince FlynnTripwire by Lee ChildDamascus Countdown by Joel C. RosenbergTransfer of Power by Vince Flynn
Most Addictive Books/Authors
146th out of 171 books — 36 voters

More lists with this book...

GymGuy
I had some problems rating this book. Parts were quite good, but I had a number of problems.

On the positive side, the story has lots of action and is filled with terrific detail that only a real-life sniper would be able to add. The descriptions were vivid and you felt like you were really there. The writing style was okay.

However, on the down side, while the author knows a lot about military action, the book runs amuck when it comes to the political side. I didn't believe the basic para-militar...more
Jeffrey
Mar 31, 2009 Jeffrey rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: MILITARY THRILLER FAN
Decent yarn about a sniper's rescue of a kidnapped general held by American terrorists planning a plot to bring down the government, The authors, one a former Marine sniper and the other a professional writer, know the military equipment and put together a decent novel.
Robin
This gets four stars because even though I thought there were problems with it, I couldn't stop reading it. And, by the end, I realized I'd liked it a lot.

Part of the problem, I think, was reader interference. Whenever you have a book that deals with politics, even tangentially like this one does, I can't help but try and decipher the unwritten (and probably unintentioned) messages. Does this author have a political bias? Do they lean in one direction or the other? What does it mean if they DO...more
Josh Hesterman
Pretty terrible writing. Unlikable narrator. I was hoping for something technical and psychological, but I didn't really get either.

A total Meh of a book.
Paul
After the first unnecessary brutal and casual murder, of a woman military officer, I decided to give the book one more chance to redeem itself.
Then the invectives started getting to me. Since I have been in the military, I am familiar with the talk and not bothered by a reasonable amount, but this was just too much. That much offensive talk by empty headed studs is unacceptable in civilian life.
Then came the 1960s style chest puffing talk of characters to their accompanying females, which went...more
Wayne
Dec 09, 2013 Wayne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adults
Recommended to Wayne by: Goodreads
I have found a new author in Jack Coughlin. Having read all of Vince Flynn's books and saddened by his early death due to prostate cancer I started into reading Ben Coes and Stephen Hunter. Having read their books I have now turned to Jack Coughlin and find his first book of Marine sniper Kyle Swanson to be very good. This Marine found himself in a clandestine plot to turn the U.S Military into a private security force. This would of course be to the financial advantage of some ruthless characte...more
jcg
Lots of intrigue, crisply written. A little ragged in places (an unnecessary backstory chapter on Ruth Hazel and it would have been nice to have a follow-up chapter on the rogue sheik), but that adds to its charm. The action scenes are more explanatory than gripping. There could have been an intense stand-off scene between the US and Syrian helicopters, but the authors chose to tell us about this through a conversation after the fact.

American authors seem to really like torture. In this book, it...more
Ryan Campbell
This book could have been a solid three stars. It had an interesting, if far-fetched premise, and the promise of a glimpse into the world of a fictional sniper, written by someone who knew all about that world.

Unfortunately, he (or his co-author or their editor) didn't know and didn't bother to verify numerous details that were incorrect and detracted from the story. When I read a "military" novel I expect those details to be correct because unlike most of the people in the world, they are famil...more
Ryan
If you liked "Point of Impact" by Stephen Hunter, you will like this book. There are a lot of parallels between Bob Lee Swagger and Kyle Swanson. Very worth the read.
Mike
A fast-paced story. Well plotted, on the whole, though perhaps wrapped up just a bit too neatly in the end, obviously written with a series in mind. The characterizations were a bit shallow, but action is the focus in this book, and it delivers.

I might have given this 3.5 stars (at least in my own mind) if it weren't for a few problems on the editing end--a few sentences throughout the book had missing words, and one sentence in particular made me think the book was originally written as a first...more
Dan42guy
I was disappointed. It is decent storytelling, but nothing original or unexpected. Also, quite a bit of profanity and explicit scenes.
Paul Birkett
Jack Coughlin is a master plotsmith!
I am so used to authors who can only sustain tension in a plot by having the characters behave in a foolish and unbelievable way, that I found myself astonished as, page after page, the characters communicated important information and generally behaved realistically - and yet the plot tension was maintained as the story unfolded. The initial premise is actually pretty preposterous but at least we get sensible believable characters. I will definitely read mor...more
Alain Burrese
I read Gunnery Sgt. Jack Coughlin's autobiography, "Shooter" when it first came out and enjoyed it. Now, I've finally read the first of Coughlin's sniper novels, "Kill Zone," written with Donald A. Davis. I really enjoyed it. It's probably a given, being that I am a former Army sniper, that I'm going to enjoy a novel about a sniper, written by a former Marine sniper. So yes, I enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to reading the next ones.

The hero, Gunnery Sgt. Kyle Swanson, a top Marine sniper, i...more
Vague_henry
A fine book with few flaws. I feel the author may have undertaken too many characters at once. Maybe he didn't realise the complexity of so many characters and the effect each had on the plot and main themes.

The book itself works well but I think it might be a bit disjointed at times, and I would view the end as being a little bit too rushed, it was more like tying up loose ends than a natural finish to the plot.

All in all I think 4 stars is accurate as the book was enjoyable but maybe it would...more
Dawn
Enjoyed the book about a sniper playing both sniper and "special forces" to extract a kidnapped General. Fun and not too technical as far as the weapons and artillery. Just enough to get a good sense if it for us novices. My weapon technical friends recommended the book so I was surprised by the good balance.

I will read more if not all of the rest if the series. I have a new author to read - very excited!!
Keith
This book took me a few tries to get into, it was a while ago now but i'm sure i had a few new books by authors i'd been waiting for. so i kind of kept putting this on the back burner.
But i eventually got round to reading it and it was actually really good.
I liked the relationships between the characters, there's a closeness to them that i could totally understand and relate to.
The main character Kyle Swanson isn't a big headed marine sniper like you see in most books, he's quiet and really wort...more
T.W. Barton
While I really enjoyed this story and would like to read the others I just cannot bring my self to pay the current prices. As I said I enjoyed t but is no Jack Reacher which one of the only series I will pay the higher cost for.

If they ever come down in price I could easily see getting the rest.
Joseph Mervitz
Probably one of the best military books I've read. Not only does it bring about the purpose, motive and aftereffects of war but it hi-lights individual contribution.

The main character is portrayed as a hero to some and a villain to others. You get sucked in into Kyle's experiences and become obsessed with his action, thoughts and words. Every time he holds his breath to stabilize his weapon, focus his mind and wait on his target, the bullet of suspense is unleashed and a satisfactory result is...more
Heather Hart
Just finished rereading the novel. Even though I know what is coming up in the story, I still cannot wait to get to the end . Enjoy the whole series. Cannot wait for the newest one to be released.
Alex Flores
You gotta read this in order to better understand where Kyle is from and how he got started. Such a fun read. You learn a lot about the sniper's mentality and skill.
Neil Morgan
Took me a little time to get in to this book. Glad that I persevered. Some well written action from a man who has been there. A little extreme sex scenes in parts but it's a book for grown ups and did not ruin it but it's 4 stars
Mark
I don't want to spoil this for anyone. This was a pretty good story.. not a real page turner, but once he got "boots on the ground," the story carried along at a good pace. The villains came off as very cookie-cutter and almost comic-book like. The epilogue felt very "slapped together" and only served to set up the next book. Compared to the "First Team" series (4 books) by Larry Bond, this book is a 3 out of 5. While reading this book, I couldn't help but feel I could have done a better job.. s...more
Gautam Surath
Every once in a while you come across a book rated 4 stars which you find impossible to believe. Kill Zone is exactly one of those. I basically picked this up because it appeared to be a fast paced book on Sniping which is welcome territory for me. But its a truly amateur effort. The writing is so poor it takes ages to get to the plot which in itself is presented too simplistically. Turning a page is a dreary act and I had mercy on myself and stopped halfway. Don't bother!
John Coulter
Excellent fast read with believable characters and exciting plot and sub plots.
Doug
A story about a Marine sniper, Gunny Sergeant Kyle Swanson, is tasked with a secret mission to help rescue a captured Marine General and if the mission goes wrong, to kill the General. A good fast moving action book that reminds me a bit of Tom Clancy novels.
Barbara
Another good one for Kyle Swanson. I like the fact that he has to wrestle with what he has done, even though he is committed to doing the right thing, which sometimes works out that someone has to die by his hand. I think of my two nephews in the Marines, both with sniper training; one came home with PTSD because he couldn't integrate the killing into his worldview, and the other still in the field, doing his job. I hope when he comes home he can learn to live happily once more.
Paul Williams
Pretty good had a lot of nothing in parts of it but picked up fairly quick would read again.
Bill Reed
Loved it. Good plot and action.
Kathy
Yea! A new author to ravage! I don't know how I came across this author but I would put him above Vince Flynn and Daniel Silva and all of the other wonderful action thriller writers I enjoy. And he has about 5 more books out there for me to read. Can't wait! Fast action, gripping, exciting, surprising, fun, full of adventure and suspense and drama. Just perfect!
  • Black Site (Delta Force, #1)
  • One Rough Man (Pike Logan, #1)
  • Dead Zero (Bob Lee Swagger, #7 Ray Cruz, #1)
  • The American (Ryan Kealey, #1)
  • War Torn (War Torn, #1)
  • Strike Back
  • Honor Bound (Honor Bound, #1)
  • The Delta Solution (Mack Bedford, #3)
  • Pulse (Chess Team Adventure, #1)
  • Tom Clancy Presents: Act of Valor
  • The Enemy Within
  • Power Down (Dewey Andreas, #1)
  • Sniper One: The Blistering True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege
  • Fair Game (Dan Shepherd, #8)
132058
Gunnery Sgt. Jack Coughlin’s autobiography, Shooter, describes his experiences as the top-ranked marine sniper in the Iraq War.

Coughlin is also the author, with Donald A. Davis, of the Kyle Swanson Sniper Novels: Kill Zone, Dead Shot, Clean Kill, and An Act of Treason.

Coughlin grew up in Waltham, Massachusetts, and joined the Marines when he was 19. He served with the Marines during the drive to...more
More about Jack Coughlin...
Shooter: The Autobiography of the Top-Ranked Marine Sniper Dead Shot (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #2) Clean Kill (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #3) An Act of Treason (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #4) Running the Maze (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #5)