Vulture View

Vulture View

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  37 reviews

Turkey vultures soar on the balmy air, looking for their next stinky feast. These birds don’t hunt—they like their food to be already dead, and their eating habits serve a very important ecological role. Vultures are part of nature’s clean-up crew.

In her signature poetic, energetic style, acclaimed nature writer April Pulley Sayre introduces young readers to the world of
Published October 2nd 2007 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

Luann
Very simple and poetic text teaches about vultures who "catch a ride on warming air" and "seek for foods that reek" such as a rotten, stinky dead deer. The text makes this accessible for very beginning readers, yet still teaches interesting concepts for more advanced readers. An author's note at the end includes much more detail about the turkey vulture. Did you know that five states have festivals that celebrate the turkey vulture? I had no idea. As always, Steve Jenkins' illustrations are full...more
Alice
I really enjoyed this book. You don't usually get great non-fiction with great pictures and interesting facts. I see turkey vultures all the time..they are HUGE and EVERYWHERE. I learned that they have weak claws so they don't kill animals but will scanning on dead animals that have died from death, disease or another animal. When I read disease... I thought "How does the vulture not get sick" in the book it explains "they can safely eat food that would make a human sick. Scientist aren't sure s...more
Dolly
Sep 07, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
With a short, poetic narrative and stunning cut-paper collage illustrations, this is a terrific book about a much-maligned, but very important member of the animal kingdom: the Turkey vulture. These majestic birds are so important to our ecology, since they eat the decomposing carrion and help the lower level decomposers break down the body tissues. Without this, the world would be a much smellier place.

The narrative is fun to read aloud; it is simple enough for even young children to understand...more
Mrs. Knott
2008 Geisel Honor Award
Simple text that gives a lot of information about the turkey vulture. I did not know much about this animal, but from the text and the author's note in the back, I learned more than I thought! April Pulley Sayre has a great way with words for the young reader and Steve Jenkins' illustrations are always fun, yet comfortable to see.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I love this book! The illustrations are gorgeous, and the text, while rhyming, is very informative, in simple terms. My favorite picture is the one where the turkey vultures are all resting in the tree for the night. Beautiful! The additional information about them at the end of the book was welcome, but the one piece of information left out, unless I missed it, was where they live. I'm assuming they live in the United States because at the end of the book it lists 5 turkey vulture festivals, al...more
Sayre's text reads almost like free verse poetry - it's not usually in couplets and it doesn't scan but there are rhymes and internal rhythms that make it a pleasure to read. The simple text would work as an easy reader for those moving up from the very easiest titles, but I don't think I would have even thought about that if it hadn't received a Geisel honor. There's information about vulture life packed into the narrative although some of it must be inferred. A longer note for independent read...more
Crystal
The illustrations a wonderful and the text is very interesting. I loved finding out more about these birds that snack on seriously icky stuff - "foods that reek!"
Kacie Fincher
This book tells the true story of a life of a vulture. Although vultures seem like an un-favored bird, this story put them in a good light as well as in a way that children will find interesting. The author describes how vultures go about living their day and how they find food. Now, vultures are a bit different than many birds because the food they prefer to eat is already dead. This book can be used in the classroom to begin a lesson in science or even a lesson on birds.
Christy
Different. Interesting. Poetic, believe it or not. I now know more about vultures than I ever wanted to know. FYI - even though vultures eat rotten food, they keep themselves very clean! We borrowed this book from the library because we were planning on going to a raptors show at the audubon society. It rained very, very hard and we didn't go, but this book was definitely a good introduction to vultures.
Melissa Stewart
It's no wonder that this book was selected as an ALA Geisel Honor title. The text is poetic, but not regularly rhyming, in a way that rolls of the tounge but also offers some fun rhythmic surprises. What other author could make vultures so much fun to read about? The dynamic cut-paper collage art enhances the text, making this book a must read.
Kimberly Ward
This is a poetry book about the day in the life of turkey vultures. The beautiful bright collage pictures help tell the story about where they live, what they eat (EWWW!), and where they sleep. The last two pages of this book contain interesting facts about these majestic birds. This book can be used to teach poetry and animal science.
Major
Jun 19, 2010 Major rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: children learning about birds
This book uses poetry to teach children about Turkey vultures. The information is presented with simple text and interesting pictures. The information presented at the end of the book is fascinating. I was surprised to learn that there are Vulture celebrations across the country. What a cool way to learn about vultures!
Cammym
This repetitive rhyming book has collage-style illustrations. Though the vocabulary is simple, it contains content-rich information about vultures, and in the back of the book there is a section with more details about turkey vultures.

Beginning reader/picture book, non-fiction, animals, vultures. Geisel Honor Book.
Paula
Unusual since vultures are not cuddly or cute looking but gorgeous illustrations
Turkey vultures soar on the balmy air, looking for their next stinky feast. These birds don't hunt--they like their food to be already dead. Vultures are part of nature's cleanup crew"--Inside front dust jacket.
Angie
Four or four point five for Steve Jenkin's illustrations. I love his artistic style.

And maybe even four for the text. It's nice and easy to read and beautifully written.

Only ... really? Why a book about vultures?

Oh, yes. Because kids are fascinated by gross or super ugly things.
Charlotte
Picture book from the library - rhyming text, good for perhaps a younger child, but since Charlotte loves raptors so much, we thought we'd give it a try. She warmed to it slowly, and would prefer to hear me read from the two pages of vulture information from the back of the book.
Mrs Bond
Hmm. Borrowed a copy from the local public library, very clear that this book had never been read before. Disappointing, because this is a beautiful book about vultures. The story of what vultures like to eat is told through simple, melodic text and cut-paper collage.
Jenny
I never thought I'd read a beautiful, poetic book about . . . vultures. But I love Steve Jenkins' art and he can make anything beautiful. Just check out the second-to-last illustration of the vultures silhouetted against a red sky. Gorgeous!
Lynn
This book was fabulous! If you have a child who is interested in animals and nature, I highly recommend this book. In addition to a wonderful way to teach children about how Turkey Vultures each & live, the illustrations are crisp and bright.
midnightfaerie
A book my 6 yr old as well as my twin 3 yr olds loved. A solid reading level 1 book, this cute story keeps all ages engaged with the bright colorful pictures and cute story. A great addition to any children's library.
Ellen
Apr 17, 2008 Ellen rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Kids, ages 4 and up
For me, vultures don't inspire poetic rapture. It was with this prejudice, that I first opened the book to read to my children. And, of course, they loved it. The gruesome bits were especially well-received.
Katielibrary
I really like this style of paper collage illustration. We have several other books done in they same way. I usually think of vultures as gross and the book describes them in the same way-my kids loved it.
Marianne (Mia) Emery
This informative, rhyming, picture book tells of the behaviors and habits of Turkey vultures. The unique illustrations offer realistic perspectives on these scavenger birds and the animals they eat.
Brindi
2008 Geisel Honor

I like this for those wanting to know about vultures, not for kids just looking for a story. I also like the "getting to know vultures" index in the back.
Marcia
Sep 07, 2009 Marcia rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: kids with interest in birds, cut paper
Beautiful cut paper illustrations and poetic verse introduce us to the Turkey Vulture. Kids will enjoy the bird's search for a tasty meal--a rotting corpse! Educational and fun.
Elizabeth
This tells the story of a vulture looking for food. It does it with rhyme. Vultures spend the day looking for food and sleep at the night in vulture tress with their families.
Kristen Gurri
Fun text and great illustrations. Never seen a collaged rotting corpse in a kids book before but it's pretty necessary and my five year old boy looooooved it!!
Heather Montgomery
This is a great introduction to physical science concepts, presented in spare, lyrical language. Engaging and educational - the best kind of book in my opinion!
Michelle
May 28, 2008 Michelle rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: beginning readers
SImple text, kind of a gross topic but may be appealing to children. It's nice because it incorporates simple words not often found in "easy readers" Reek for example.
Sandy Brehl
Lyric but informative brief text, gorgeous illustrations by Jenkins, and extensive backmatter make this a must-have book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Living Color
  • Bringing In the New Year
  • Hush! A Thai Lullaby
  • When I Was Little: A Four-Year-Old's Memoir of Her Youth
  • Ruth and the Green Book
  • The Three Little Javelinas (Reading Rainbow Books)
  • A Splendid Friend, Indeed
  • Jazz Baby
  • Chicken Said "Cluck!" (My First I Can Read Books)
  • Spiders
  • Stinky
  • The Wolves Are Back
  • North: The Amazing Story of Arctic Migration
  • The Story of Snow: The Science of Winter's Wonder
April Pulley Sayre is an award-winning children’s book author of over 55 natural history books for children and adults. Her read-aloud nonfiction books, known for their lyricism and scientific precision, have been translated into French, Dutch, Japanese, and Korean. She is best known for pioneering literary ways to immerse young readers in natural events via creative storytelling and unusual persp...more
More about April Pulley Sayre...
Rah, Rah, Radishes!: A Vegetable Chant If You're Hoppy Eat Like a Bear Go, Go, Grapes!: A Fruit Chant One Is A Snail, Ten Is A Crab