Start by marking “Vulture View” as Want to Read:
Vulture View

Vulture View

Turkey vultures soar on the balmy air, looking for their next stinky feast. These birds don’t hunt—they like their food to be already dead, and their eating habits serve a very important ecological role. Vultures are part of nature’s clean-up crew.

In her signature poetic, energetic style, acclaimed nature writer April Pulley Sayre introduces young readers to the world of
Published October 2nd 2007 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Vulture View, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vulture View

Luann
Feb 19, 2009 Luann rated it really liked it
Very simple and poetic text teaches about vultures who "catch a ride on warming air" and "seek for foods that reek" such as a rotten, stinky dead deer. The text makes this accessible for very beginning readers, yet still teaches interesting concepts for more advanced readers. An author's note at the end includes much more detail about the turkey vulture. Did you know that five states have festivals that celebrate the turkey vulture? I had no idea. As always, Steve Jenkins' illustrations are full ...more
Melissa Stewart
May 24, 2010 Melissa Stewart rated it it was amazing
It's no wonder that this book was selected as an ALA Geisel Honor title. The text is poetic, but not regularly rhyming, in a way that rolls of the tounge but also offers some fun rhythmic surprises. What other author could make vultures so much fun to read about? The dynamic cut-paper collage art enhances the text, making this book a must read.
Library
Nov 20, 2016 Library rated it liked it
Poetic verses allude to facts about turkey vultures in this non-fiction picture book. At the end, multiple pages of facts can be enjoyed by curious young readers.

FYI - carcasses of dead animals are depicted (though not in an overly grotesque manner) and might not be suitable for all readers.
Dolly
Sep 07, 2013 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
With a short, poetic narrative and stunning cut-paper collage illustrations, this is a terrific book about a much-maligned, but very important member of the animal kingdom: the Turkey vulture. These majestic birds are so important to our ecology, since they eat the decomposing carrion and help the lower level decomposers break down the body tissues. Without this, the world would be a much smellier place.

The narrative is fun to read aloud; it is simple enough for even young children to understand
Alice
Apr 01, 2014 Alice rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. You don't usually get great non-fiction with great pictures and interesting facts. I see turkey vultures all the time..they are HUGE and EVERYWHERE. I learned that they have weak claws so they don't kill animals but will scanning on dead animals that have died from death, disease or another animal. When I read disease... I thought "How does the vulture not get sick" in the book it explains "they can safely eat food that would make a human sick. Scientist aren't sure ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I love this book! The illustrations are gorgeous, and the text, while rhyming, is very informative, in simple terms. My favorite picture is the one where the turkey vultures are all resting in the tree for the night. Beautiful! The additional information about them at the end of the book was welcome, but the one piece of information left out, unless I missed it, was where they live. I'm assuming they live in the United States because at the end of the book it lists 5 turkey vulture festivals, ...more
Aug 19, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Sayre's text reads almost like free verse poetry - it's not usually in couplets and it doesn't scan but there are rhymes and internal rhythms that make it a pleasure to read. The simple text would work as an easy reader for those moving up from the very easiest titles, but I don't think I would have even thought about that if it hadn't received a Geisel honor. There's information about vulture life packed into the narrative although some of it must be inferred. A longer note for independent ...more
Aubry
Sep 04, 2014 Aubry rated it really liked it
Shelves: libs-642
Sayre, April Pulley (2007). Vulture View. New York: Henry Holt and Company, LLC.

Theodor Seuss Geisel Honor

Choice Book

Vulture View takes the reader through the day in the life of a vulture. The colors are bold and bright, and most of the book is shown from the view of the vulture (hence the title). It is an interesting book that will teach students what vultures like to eat and where they sleep. It is an easy read with eye catching artwork.
Kacie Fincher
Apr 14, 2013 Kacie Fincher rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
This book tells the true story of a life of a vulture. Although vultures seem like an un-favored bird, this story put them in a good light as well as in a way that children will find interesting. The author describes how vultures go about living their day and how they find food. Now, vultures are a bit different than many birds because the food they prefer to eat is already dead. This book can be used in the classroom to begin a lesson in science or even a lesson on birds.
Christy
Sep 15, 2008 Christy rated it really liked it
Shelves: collin
Different. Interesting. Poetic, believe it or not. I now know more about vultures than I ever wanted to know. FYI - even though vultures eat rotten food, they keep themselves very clean! We borrowed this book from the library because we were planning on going to a raptors show at the audubon society. It rained very, very hard and we didn't go, but this book was definitely a good introduction to vultures.
Major
Jun 19, 2010 Major rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children learning about birds
This book uses poetry to teach children about Turkey vultures. The information is presented with simple text and interesting pictures. The information presented at the end of the book is fascinating. I was surprised to learn that there are Vulture celebrations across the country. What a cool way to learn about vultures!
Cammym
Jun 26, 2010 Cammym rated it liked it
This repetitive rhyming book has collage-style illustrations. Though the vocabulary is simple, it contains content-rich information about vultures, and in the back of the book there is a section with more details about turkey vultures.

Beginning reader/picture book, non-fiction, animals, vultures. Geisel Honor Book.
Michele Knott
Apr 14, 2014 Michele Knott rated it really liked it
2008 Geisel Honor Award
Simple text that gives a lot of information about the turkey vulture. I did not know much about this animal, but from the text and the author's note in the back, I learned more than I thought! April Pulley Sayre has a great way with words for the young reader and Steve Jenkins' illustrations are always fun, yet comfortable to see.
Kimberly Ward
Jun 20, 2010 Kimberly Ward rated it liked it
This is a poetry book about the day in the life of turkey vultures. The beautiful bright collage pictures help tell the story about where they live, what they eat (EWWW!), and where they sleep. The last two pages of this book contain interesting facts about these majestic birds. This book can be used to teach poetry and animal science.
Lynn
This book was fabulous! If you have a child who is interested in animals and nature, I highly recommend this book. In addition to a wonderful way to teach children about how Turkey Vultures each & live, the illustrations are crisp and bright.
Jenny
Mar 23, 2011 Jenny rated it really liked it
I never thought I'd read a beautiful, poetic book about . . . vultures. But I love Steve Jenkins' art and he can make anything beautiful. Just check out the second-to-last illustration of the vultures silhouetted against a red sky. Gorgeous!
Ellen
Apr 17, 2008 Ellen rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Kids, ages 4 and up
For me, vultures don't inspire poetic rapture. It was with this prejudice, that I first opened the book to read to my children. And, of course, they loved it. The gruesome bits were especially well-received.
Mrs Bond
Aug 22, 2011 Mrs Bond rated it really liked it
Hmm. Borrowed a copy from the local public library, very clear that this book had never been read before. Disappointing, because this is a beautiful book about vultures. The story of what vultures like to eat is told through simple, melodic text and cut-paper collage.
Katielibrary
Jun 27, 2012 Katielibrary rated it really liked it
Shelves: ls-5360-12, geisel
I really like this style of paper collage illustration. We have several other books done in they same way. I usually think of vultures as gross and the book describes them in the same way-my kids loved it.
Anne
Beautifully illustrated and simple book about... turkey vultures? It really is a lovely book and kind of a cool lesson about the scavengers who clean up messes in nature. Perfect for your young naturalist!
midnightfaerie
Dec 10, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A book my 6 yr old as well as my twin 3 yr olds loved. A solid reading level 1 book, this cute story keeps all ages engaged with the bright colorful pictures and cute story. A great addition to any children's library.
Paula
Unusual since vultures are not cuddly or cute looking but gorgeous illustrations
Turkey vultures soar on the balmy air, looking for their next stinky feast. These birds don't hunt--they like their food to be already dead. Vultures are part of nature's cleanup crew"--Inside front dust jacket.
Charlotte
May 21, 2012 Charlotte rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book
Picture book from the library - rhyming text, good for perhaps a younger child, but since Charlotte loves raptors so much, we thought we'd give it a try. She warmed to it slowly, and would prefer to hear me read from the two pages of vulture information from the back of the book.
Angie
Jul 17, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it
Four or four point five for Steve Jenkin's illustrations. I love his artistic style.

And maybe even four for the text. It's nice and easy to read and beautifully written.

Only ... really? Why a book about vultures?

Oh, yes. Because kids are fascinated by gross or super ugly things.
Juliet
Nov 18, 2015 Juliet rated it liked it
Shelves: 03-informational
I will give it this, this book is definitely unique. Also the style of artwork is an interesting concept with the cutouts. But I don't think I would have enjoyed reading this book as a child, probably because I'm not the biggest fans of vultures.
Erin
Steve Jenkins always pulls through with the illustrations, and Sayre delivers as well here. The text mainly focuses on vultures' dietary habits, which are less than savory, but would spark an interesting discussion of how one animal's gross is another animal's pleasure.
Brindi
Mar 26, 2013 Brindi rated it liked it
2008 Geisel Honor

I like this for those wanting to know about vultures, not for kids just looking for a story. I also like the "getting to know vultures" index in the back.
Crystal
Apr 11, 2014 Crystal rated it really liked it
The illustrations a wonderful and the text is very interesting. I loved finding out more about these birds that snack on seriously icky stuff - "foods that reek!"
Sandy Brehl
Apr 08, 2012 Sandy Brehl rated it it was amazing
Lyric but informative brief text, gorgeous illustrations by Jenkins, and extensive backmatter make this a must-have book.
Kristen Gurri
Mar 28, 2008 Kristen Gurri rated it really liked it
Shelves: geisel-awards
Fun text and great illustrations. Never seen a collaged rotting corpse in a kids book before but it's pretty necessary and my five year old boy looooooved it!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Wolfsnail: A Backyard Predator
  • Hello, Bumblebee Bat
  • Bringing In the New Year
  • Hush! A Thai Lullaby
  • Living Color
  • When I Was Little: A Four-Year-Old's Memoir of Her Youth
  • Trapped! A Whale's Rescue
  • Surprising Sharks (Boston Globe-Horn Book Honors (Awards))
  • Ruth and the Green Book
  • Can We Save the Tiger?
  • Flight of the Honey Bee
  • Bird Talk: What Birds Are Saying and Why
  • The Three Little Javelinas
April Pulley Sayre is an award-winning children’s book author of over 55 natural history books for children and adults. Her read-aloud nonfiction books, known for their lyricism and scientific precision, have been translated into French, Dutch, Japanese, and Korean. She is best known for pioneering literary ways to immerse young readers in natural events via creative storytelling and unusual ...more
More about April Pulley Sayre...