Start by marking “Computernetzwerke” as Want to Read:
Computernetzwerke

Computernetzwerke

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  937 ratings  ·  50 reviews
This is the long-awaited 3rd Edition of Tanenbaum's classic book on computer networking. The finest network engineer I know (who was stolen from my previous employer by developers of IPv6) swears by this book, and it is arguably the best single resource for gaining a good technical understanding of modern networking in the mid 1990s. Very Highly Recommended.
Published (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Computernetzwerke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Computernetzwerke

Kay
Andrew Tenanbaum is one of the most prolific writers I’ve ever seen. He has written books on Distributed Operating Sytems, Computer Organisation, Operating Systems and Computer Networks.

Tanenbaum's Computer Networks is a good, solid introductory textbook on networking suitable for those with a computing background, either university students or computer professionals. I learned my basic networking from it six years ago and have been using it as a reference ever since. It uses a layer-based appr...more
Joecolelife
Jan 27, 2012 Joecolelife rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joecolelife by: www.CocoMartini.com
First of all, the fourth edition was published in 2002, so all reviews prior to that date are about a previous edition of this book. This is a classic textbook on computer networking from an academic viewpoint. Do not expect to ever be able to fix a specific network problem or become a CCNE by reading this book. However, doing either of those tasks rests on a firm foundation of the theory found in this book. From the beginning, the author points out that there is some confusion about what a comp...more
Timoteo Ponce
One of the best written books of technology, Mr. Tanenbaum accomplished a very entertaining book with lots of examples, mixing technology and imagination he accomplished to create a classic.
Suresh Madhavan
Koen Crolla
This book was a bit of a disappointment. While it's not *bad*, Tanenbaum's reputation and the pretty ridiculous price led me to believe it would be *great*, which it definitely isn't.

Tanenbaum has an unhealthy habit of trying to bullshit his way through sections he doesn't have a firm grip on himself, which was particularly apparent in certain sections on the Physical Layer. Since he actually has a PhD in Physics, I suppose it's possible he just wrote an in-depth explanation, then realised his r...more
Mj
I HATE THIS BOOK!

From the perspective of an instructional systems tech major and in which this book is used for instructional systems tech majors, this is not an effective book. It starts with the introduction chapter, which is nothing very outstanding, but then the next chapter is about the network layer already. It has this bottom-top approach in terms of the network hierarchy and that is not how one is preferred to learn about networks, unless one is already proficient about the concept of ne...more
Hosein
Used to read this book in order to pass Computer Networks course in the bachelor degree of the university. I was very good. describing concepts with basic words and fluently. A great network fundamental book recommended to whom interested in learning Computer Networks from scratch.
Nahol
i recall the network course i took in university this was considered my textbook, It’s a great resource for understanding networks where it gives detailed descriptions of the principles associated with each layer and presents many examples drawn from the Internet and wireless networks.
Mohamed Sufyan Islim
Very interesting and informative book from layer 1 to layer 7! However, some issues are ambiguous.
Pravendra
Apr 30, 2014 Pravendra marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is a good booj
Pradeepa
Apr 22, 2014 Pradeepa is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
its gud one
bijan
Dec 18, 2007 bijan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those interested in understanding everything about networking!
This book is magnificent, it talks about everything and nothing about networking! It talks about every technology in some sort of story telling manner, at the same time it doesn't get into details of any subject. It's like a beautiful short story book (for computer literates of course ;) ) that draws a complete panoramic canvas about every confusing, high tech name out there. You can read this book many times and still find it necessary to read it again!
something_
An awesome book with very clearly laid out information, specially for the beginner in computer networks. It presents some subjects that, while do not seem absolutely relevant, are still rather interesting (history of origins of the internet as we know it comes to mind). Specially great for clearing concepts one has doubts about, and an infinetely useful accompanying tool to study for finals related to the subject.
Kerszi
Wspaniała książka. Czytałem ją ponad rok, (ponad 1000 stron robi swoje) w międzyczasie przeszło paręnaście książek, ale warto. Na pewno będę do niej wracać. Jest tam prawie wszystko co powinna wiedzieć o sieciach osoba siedząca w tym temacie, dla osób postronnych może wydać się nudna, niestety jakąś minimalną wiedzę powinien posiadać czytelnik.
Danish Aziz
This is one of the best computer network books available out there. I loved the comical writing style of the author. AST drops a lot of small knowledge pieces throughout the book. I would definitely recommend this to all computer science students and professionals alike!
Huma
This greatest plus point of this book is that while Network topics are quite dry, but the text in this book is written in such a way that makes it quite interesting to read. It manages to convey the concept across to the reader by employing a story-telling type of method.
Ben Cavileer
Excellent book for anyone looking to pick up advanced networking knowledge. Topics have been relevant to my career and I continue to refer to this book. The information covers a broad range of topics; however, remains detailed enough to give a thorough explanation.
Libin
5th edition
probably spread too thin over a wide range of concerns, otherwise it may have done a good job to provide a comprehensive overview.
Ahmed
This book is so condensed that you can read the same page like 6 times and each time you learn new knowledge. It's very important for learning networks but not for beginners.
Bob
The first edition published March 1981 was used as a textbook by Prof. Bezalel Gavish at the University of Rochester's business school in the Spring Term of 1983.
Pranam K P
One of the best books for Computer Networks, covers the basics of almost all technologies related to computer networks...Mainly aimed for beginner level...
Evan Locklier
Nov 12, 2010 Evan Locklier is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book was good, for a forth edition.
I was looking for a few more updates.
-antivirus
Gaurav Chaturvedi
This book is considered a textbook of sorts in many colleges. Its is a very good place to start if you wanna know everything about computer networks.
Eduardo Ojeda
This is one of the best books about computer networks I have ever had. It gives a deep explanation of the network at every layer.
Rob
Gotta read this for my Masters... So far looks to be somewhat interesting, though some aspects look to be pretty dense.
Nadeem
i am deaf. students are also deaf. I want to teach to childrens for computer. help you give computer book me.......
esaurito
Un grande classico che affronta una materia complessa in modo il più possibile chiaro ed efficace
Jay
Superb intro textbook for TCP/IP, OSI and all that. Love that station wagon full of tapes.
Geir
Textbook for my informatics course. Well written and only slightly soulcrushing.
Computer Networks 1 3 May 24, 2014 03:02AM
  • Operating System Concepts
  • The Protocols (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1)
  • Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools
  • Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach
  • Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach
  • The Unix Programming Environment
  • Applied Cryptography: Protocols, Algorithms, and Source Code in C
  • Software Engineering (International Computer Science Series)
  • Software Engineering: A Practitioner's Approach
  • An Introduction to Database Systems
  • Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach
  • Art of Computer Programming, Volume 3: Sorting and Searching
  • The Art of Unix Programming

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Modern Operating Systems Operating Systems Design and Implementation Distributed Systems: Principles and Paradigms Structured Computer Organization Distributed Operating Systems