Start by marking “Mystery” as Want to Read:
Mystery

Mystery (Blue Rose Trilogy #2)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,863 Ratings  ·  119 Reviews
After a tragic accident which he barely survives, Tom Pasmore develops an obsession with death--an obsession which leads him to investigate two murders--one in the past and one in the present. And during his investigation, Pasmore learns more than anyone needs--or deserves--to know!
Published (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mystery

The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingThe Stand by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram Stoker
The Definitive Horror Book List
183rd out of 968 books — 1,336 voters
Ghost Story by Peter StraubKoko by Peter StraubThe Throat by Peter StraubFloating Dragon by Peter StraubMystery by Peter Straub
Best of Peter Straub
5th out of 11 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

mark monday
Jan 18, 2013 mark monday rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murdertime
Straub followed up his grim and intense post-Vietnam War psychological thriller Koko with something that is nearly the opposite... a big and plummy murder mystery set in two past eras, detailing the life of a poor little rich boy as he goes about solving mysteries and falling in love. however - lest you think this is a warm and nostalgic character study a la Stephen King - let me assure you that the Straub who wrote this one is still the Straub who prefers to write from the head rather than from ...more
Maciek
Ten year old Tom Passmore is hit by a car and nearly dies. During hospitalization Tom becomes interested in reading, and he digs his way through many novels, but he becomes fascinated with one kind: mysteries. Tom develops a passion for detective work, and in the cozy island of Millwalk not everyone looks at the young boy's budding hobby with appreciation...

Although technically this is the second volume of a trilogy (the first being Koko) Mystery stands on its own. It has all trademarks of Strau
Rebecca McNutt
Apr 12, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peter Straub is an amazing author, and although his favorite novel of mine is Julia, Mystery has become a favorite of mine as well. It's not really scary, but incredibly eerie, gripping and intense, as vivid as real-life. It's well-written and the characters are complex; I highly recommend it to anyone who loves mysteries, thrillers or horror works.
Troy Blackford
Jun 25, 2014 Troy Blackford rated it really liked it
This book was a great journey, but for reasons that are hard for me to articulate. I enjoyed the setting, and the size of the book and the story made it very engrossing. However, as a story, it wasn't the most coherent or surprising of tales. The lead, while likable and interesting while the story is unfurling, sort of blows away once you are done like dust. There is little inherent 'mystery' once you realize that yes, the big bad family that pulls all the strings throughout the novel is bad, an ...more
Gatorman
Dec 01, 2012 Gatorman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to rate this book, found myself between 3 and 4 stars and went with higher. Well-written tale of family secrets, corruption and murder but not your typical mystery, which should be expected from Straub. Interesting characters keep the plot moving but the ending seemed sort of a letdown. Still, an enjoyable read which I would recommend to Straub fans willing to read something from him other than horror.
Mickie
Oct 11, 2009 Mickie rated it it was amazing
I read this book four times in the last 12 years. The only other book I read this many times was "Keys to the Street" by Ruth Rendell. Some books have everything in them. Magical prose, a page turning story, psychology, geography, engagement of all of the senses, relationship politics, art, history, and musical rhythm.
Laurie
Aug 24, 2009 Laurie rated it it was amazing
The best Holmes pastiche I’ve read—and yes, I know the character’s name isn’t Holmes, and he’s not English, and it’s half a century too late for a pastiche…but still.
Cynthia
Sep 21, 2012 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Mystery is the second of the Blue Rose series (originally Trilogy, but Straub wrote another book a few years back that is called a Blue Rose book and also contains some of the characters from the others). Of all of the books I think this is my favorite, although its reviews at the time were not as good as those for Koko.

Mystery's main character is Tom Pasmore, a young boy who lives in the affluent section of a fictional island in the Caribbean settled by the Redwing family. When seven Tom sees a
Mike
Apr 04, 2013 Mike rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
When I began reading this I realized that I would say that it probably wasn’t something I would have picked up on my own – without Goodreads that is. And I still have that superficial opinion, but wait - it gets better! I must confess that in sitting down to write this review I looked at my “To Read” shelf to try and figure out who might have been the catalyst for my adding it back in 2009 and the winner is, author Laurie King.

Mystery is a longish book of great story-telling. Primarily set on a
Julie
Sep 03, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-shelf
I had read this book a VERY long time ago. So long ago that I couldn't remember much about it except that it was a really good novel. So, when this book came in as a part of a "lot" I got from Ebay, I decided to keep it and re-read it at some point. I came across it a few weeks ago, and felt excited about reading it again.
Peter Straub is an author that is at times an aquired taste. I have read a great many of his books and enjoyed most of them, but his writing style can be tedious at times. But,
Belinda
Jan 05, 2013 Belinda rated it really liked it
Of course I loved this book. It is very rare that I don't love a Peter Straub book to be honest. Despite loving his work, I have not necessarily read his most famous works and the Blue Rose series is a big gap in my Peter Straub love. I got my hands on Koko and flew through that and then found this for my nook. I have the 3rd book, The Throat waiting for me now.
As with all of Straub's books, it opens somewhat slowly and builds until you are "falling downhill" as I always say. Stephen King has
Kade
Nov 30, 2015 Kade rated it it was amazing
I didn't realize this was a part 2, but it wasn't necessary to follow this story. I will be reading the first, because I'm sure it will make this second story thicker.... but I don't feel there are any blanks I need filed in. It was a true mystery until the very end.
Dxmaniac69
Mar 12, 2010 Dxmaniac69 rated it really liked it
The second book in the Blue Rose trilogy, but if you happen to read it by itself it's no big deal. The book stands alone perfectly well and you won't even notice how it ties into the first book, Koko, until about 3/4ths of the way thru. And even then the tie in is minor.

The book is a tense thriller and sort of a horror novel. There is only a slight illusion to anything supernatural, but like Koko the horror in this series comes from the depths humanity will sink too.

I'd actually give this book a
BookRecycler
Oct 23, 2015 BookRecycler rated it really liked it
Shelves: sleuthy-thriller
Solid Tale of Amateur Sleuth at Odds with Corruption on a Caribbean Island

Mystery is a solid and well-crafted plot, if a little convoluted, but is worth sticking with for the climaxes and twists. Tom is a young sleuth who takes an interest in the crimes committed on a small Caribbean Island of Mill Walk.

This is partly due to suffering a horrific traffic accident as a young boy and Tom has little to do but to read and research during convalescence. Tom’s ‘pastime’ is frowned upon by his grandfath
Valerie Penny
Mar 13, 2015 Valerie Penny rated it liked it
My friend Sharon passed this book on to me when she had finished it. She highly recommended Mystery. I had not read anything by Peter Straub before, so I took the book on holiday with me to read while I was away at The Clube Humbria, Algarve, Portugal. The hotel is reviewed at https://hotelandrestaurantreviews.wor... . I have discovered that the author, Peter Francis Straub was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA on 2 March, 1943. The author earned an honors B.A. in English at the University of Wi ...more
Sridhar Babu
Dec 23, 2014 Sridhar Babu rated it it was ok
Author...
PETER STRUB...
Characters...
Tom Pasmore,Lamont Von Heilitz,Glendenning Upshaw, Sarah Spence, Ralph Redwing, Buddy Redwing, Fritz Redwing, Fulton Bishop, Jeanine Thielman, Anton Goetz.

Location..(according to the novel)
Mill walk (Caribbean Island) and Eagle Lake (Wisconsin)..
Plot..

Tom Pasmore almost killed in a traffic accident miraculously survives. As he grows up he becomes obsessed with the murder happens in Mill Walk islands, murder of the sister of island's finance minister, and al
David Roberts
Apr 21, 2014 David Roberts rated it really liked it
I am reviewing the thriller Mystery by Peter Straub which is a very good novel which I bought from a car boot sale. Straub is more famous for his fantasy novels than his thrillers and did do a couple of books with Stephen King, one horror and one fantasy presumably to perfect their art. His fantasy novels are very good in having peril and suspense which are prevalent in thrillers. This novel is set on what I think is a fictional island in the Caribbean called Mill Walk which is the playground of ...more
Charles Harwood
Oct 06, 2015 Charles Harwood rated it really liked it
Shelves: ok-thrillers
Mystery is a convoluted tale, set on a Caribbean island of Mill Walk. The central character, Tom suffers a devastating car accident where he almost gets killed. After breaking everything in his body, he spends months in a wheelchair, growing obsessed with crimes on the island. His grandfather, Glen is a potent force, as is the corrupt and greedy Redwing family. With the police force in their pockets, Toms’ sleuthing does not go down well.

Glen sends Tom off to Eagle Lake along with the Redwings t
David B
Tom Pasmore, an unusually introspective and intelligent teenager, teams up with the aged, eccentric private detective Lamont von Heilitz to investigate a pair of murders in the mid-60s. Peter Straub develops a compelling mystery with interesting characters and then fails to make it pay off in the end. Tom's near death experience turns out to have no bearing on later events and the resolution of the mystery is pretty much what you would expect; any time you have arrogant, powerful rich characters ...more
Patrick Ellard
Jan 09, 2015 Patrick Ellard rated it it was ok
The sole reason I bought this book was due to the fact that I had really enjoyed Peter Straub's work while writing with Stephen King. The synopsis sounded interested and I was confident that Straub knew how to write and good mystery book.

Unfortunately I just couldn't get into Mystery no matter how hard I tried. The opening few chapters were a bit of a mess with talk of outer body experiences etc. which really added nothing to the story except to make it confusing. In fact large chunks of the boo
Barry Martin Vass
Apr 16, 2015 Barry Martin Vass rated it really liked it
This is a long, finely-detailed murder mystery by the author of Ghost Story and Koko, and the co-author (along with Stephen King) of The Talisman. The story revolves around 17-year-old Tom Pasmore, who is nearly killed when he is 10, and now years later is still conscious of his near-death. And he becomes obsessed with two murders that have happened: one recently on the isolated Caribbean Island where he lives, the other in 1925 at the resort town of Eagle Lake, Wisconsin. More than anything els ...more
Karen Hufman
May 09, 2014 Karen Hufman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many years ago there was a series called Twin Peaks i which nothing was as it seemed and there was a lot of underlying themes and messages that I struggled to understand. This book very much reminded me of that series-Mill Walk is a fictional island where this takes place. Tom Pasmore almost dies as a 10 year old boy following something he doesn't understand and guided by something he can't explain. Flash forward 7 years later and he's surrounded by people and actions that don't quite make sense ...more
Veronica Lindsey
Jun 21, 2012 Veronica Lindsey rated it it was amazing
This one was better than some other books he's done.
Fishface
Sep 15, 2012 Fishface rated it it was amazing
I never get tired of re-reading this one.
Pris
Mar 30, 2015 Pris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being now used to faster-paced suspense & thrillers, this book would've been awesome back in the '80s or early '90s, but it's too slow for me now in this decade of "Gone Girl" and Swedish & Norwegian writers rewriting the suspense/thriller genre. The book itself spans several years, almost a whole generation, and Straub spent a lot of time and pages building the history, backdrop, settings, intertwining relationships, ambience, & the twists & turns characteristic of most of Strau ...more
Graham P
The true stars of this novel are not the characters but the actual settings, ones in which Straub had created from scratch. The Caribbean island of Mill Walk, and Eagle Lake in Wisconsin, are the two landscapes that are the focus here - from the high end, closed communities of the upper class, to the labyrinthine slums where the rich bury their secrets. There are passages of scintillating brilliance, as with most of Straub's work, but some of the time, this reads too much like an adolescent romp ...more
George
Mar 15, 2015 George rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
Πέμπτο βιβλίο του Πίτερ Στράουμπ που διαβάζω και αν δεν υπήρχε το ανυπέρβλητο Κόκο σίγουρα θα μπορούσα να πω ότι είναι και το καλύτερό του που έχει πέσει στα χέρια μου. Μάλιστα ανήκει στην άτυπη τριλογία Blue Rose και είναι το δεύτερο τη σειράς, με το Κόκο να είναι πρώτο και το αμετάφραστο (δυστυχώς) The Throat τρίτο και τελευταίο.

Ας αρχίσω από τα εύκολα: Το βιβλίο δεν είναι ούτε τρόμου, ούτε φαντασίας, δεν έχει κανένα μα κανένα στοιχείο του φανταστικού. Είναι κυρίως ένα μυθιστόρημα μυστηρίου (
Reinhard
On the back of my copy there's a quote by Clive Barker describing Straub as world-class author, in any genre. With Mystery he proved that beyond any doubt.
Where Koko could still be described as a horror novel in a way, Mystery just can't. It's a mystery novel, plain and simple. More at home with Agatha Christi and Raymond Chandler than with Shirley Jackson or Richard Matheson, Mystery is at it's heart what the name suggests.
The story follows Tom Pasmore as he becomes enthralled with a decades ol
T. Perry
Jul 14, 2013 T. Perry rated it liked it
I originally read this book about 20 years ago and, with nothing else available on my bookshelf and no cash to go buy something else, I re-read it. There are things in this book that I really, really liked. The fictional island of Mill Walk, for example, gives the story the freedom to move and flow, and gives the author the ability to paint the picture without having to risk offending someone who actually lives there. That said, it's a period piece set in the mid-60's, so it can be a little dist ...more
Robbie
Feb 06, 2012 Robbie rated it liked it
This was the first Peter Straub book that I have read that was not co-written with Stephen King, having previously read Talisman and Black House. Though somewhat disjointed, this is a great read, and Straub shows creativity in creating characters, weaving many different layers of story-line and plot upon one another, and paying homage to famous crime caper and mystery authors of the past.

Mystery takes place on a fictitious Caribbean island and Wisconsin lakeside resort, populated by the same se
  • Lovedeath
  • Breathe
  • 48
  • Lori
  • Audrey's Door
  • The Inhuman Condition (Books of Blood #4)
  • The Pariah
  • Three Complete Novels: The Servants of Twilight / Darkfall / Phantoms
  • The Beasts of Valhalla (A Mongo Mystery, #4)
  • Savage
Peter Straub was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on 2 March, 1943, the first of three sons of a salesman and a nurse. The salesman wanted him to become an athlete, the nurse thought he would do well as either a doctor or a Lutheran minister, but all he wanted to do was to learn to read.

When kindergarten turned out to be a stupefyingly banal disappointment devoted to cutting animal shapes out of heavy
More about Peter Straub...

Blue Rose Trilogy (3 books)
  • Koko