Start by marking “Merlin” as Want to Read:
Merlin

Merlin

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A bestselling author and professor brings the historical figure of Merlin to life--the Merlin who prophesied his own death and was a counselor to kings as well as a scientist, humanist, and man of mystery.
Published November 1st 1987 by Franklin Watts

To ask other readers questions about Merlin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Merlin

Emmy
This book is about a man named merlin.He has magic powers .He also has is not scared of dragons and any creature in the woods.The problem was that since their was a king the king wanted to do a new castle .But close by, there was a big dragon in a big dark cave.so, then merlin use his pawers to move the dragon to another place.

I like this this book because in some parts it gots mysteries and also it kind of aventuries.I would reccommend this book to people who like magic book and fairytales lik
Flint Johnson
Having done the hard research, I can see the one massive flaw in Goodrich's methodology. She has read a great deal (in literature) and she is a good writer to capture audience. Her problem, she never bothers to tell the reader how the sources she is using fit in with the sources she ignores. She rarely mentions the other sources. She simply jumps from literature to literature as she takes the reader on a merry ride. If she had any historical knowledge she would have known that "Merlin" was activ ...more
Bookendsused Pefferly
An excellent exploration to find the historical Merlin. I like Norma Goodrich. She is a lively writer who follows where the history takes her. I've read too many history based books where an author will bend time, space and reason to fit the theory. Norma sets out on a quest and begins with a theory and sometimes finds that historical documentation, geography, etc takes her somewhere beyond the theory so she follows the leads to where they go rather than BSing her way through.

This book was thoro
Reyannan Miller
An excellent writer who bases her beliefs with carefully gathered I historical data. Reads like a textbook, and at that level, it is nicely done. To the skeptics of Camelot and the Arthurian legend........ you have to take a leap of faith occasionally. Some could argue that it is just a revisionists perception of an historical possibility; however, we all bring our own thoughts and prejudices to each new read and often a book read at the age of twenty something takes on a new meaning at forty so ...more
Chuck
This books focuses on the literary and "historical" Merlin. I found the book fascinating, but a little hard to follow. The author throws a lot at you. I read this book for general interest and for development of a character so perhaps it is more for an Arthurian scholar. Suffice to say if you have more than a passing interest in Arthurian history and mythology, I recommend this book, just plan on taking a little bit of time with it.
Dominique
I couldn't finish this book largely due to the author's insistence tht what she was telling the reader about Merlin was fact, not speculation. I do not consider myself an expert on Camelot, but I do know enough that it is filled with a lot of uncertainty. We do not no for certain when, or even if, Merlin and Arthur lived.
Dave
I loved King Arthur, but found Merlin to be both less revelatory and less convincing. I accept her thesis for the identity of Merlin, but it was so drawn out that I only finished the book to be able to say I finished it.
Cathy
Explores historical clues as to Merlin's true idenity.
Natalie Brun
Natalie Brun marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Andria Kinner
Andria Kinner marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Haley Swanson
Haley Swanson marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Nerilla
Nerilla marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Tristyn
Tristyn marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Sylvia
Sylvia marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Lena
Lena marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Milica
Milica added it
Jan 26, 2015
Pat
Pat marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Stephen Wiseheart
Stephen Wiseheart marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Tisha
Tisha marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Nurik
Nurik marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Sonja Van
Sonja Van marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Malikca Cummings
Malikca Cummings marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
  • King Arthur and the Goddess of the Land: The Divine Feminine in the <I>Mabinogion</I>
  • The Mountain of Marvels: A Celtic Tale of Magic, Retold from the Mabinogion
  • The Pendragon
  • Reader and Educator Guide to "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings"
  • The Druid Animal Oracle
  • The Prydain Chronicles (The Chronicles of Prydain #1-5)
  • Welsh Fairy Tales
  • In Winter's Shadow
  • Darkin: A Journey East
  • Dark Magic (The Godwars, #2)
  • The Book of the Sword (Hallowed Isle, #1)
  • King Arthur: Dark Age Warrior and Mythic Hero
  • The Coming of the King (Books of Merlin, #1)
  • Prince of Annwn (Mabinogion Tetralogy #1)
  • Venom of the Serpent's Cunning (Andy Smithson, #2)
  • The Violet Fairy Book
  • Protector of the Grove (The Bowl of Souls, #7 / Jharro Grove Saga, #2)
  • Chasing the Bard (Fey #1)
Norma Lorre Goodrich, a prolific author, was an Arthurian scholar known for her unconventional theory that King Arthur was Scottish -not English or Welsh. She was a professor of comparative literature and writing for many years at the University of Southern California and the Claremont Colleges.
More about Norma Lorre Goodrich...
King Arthur Guinevere The Medieval Myths The Holy Grail Priestesses