Start by marking “Radio: An Illustrated Guide” as Want to Read:
Radio: An Illustrated Guide

Radio: An Illustrated Guide

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Radio: An Illustrated Guide is a comic book that explains how to make a radio program. Specifically, it explains how to make the public radio program This American Life. In comic book form, the producers of This American Life explain how to find a story, how to do an interview, how to edit sound, how to write for radio and how to mix a radio story. It also explains how the ...more
Published September 1st 1999 by W B E Z Alliance Inc

To ask other readers questions about Radio, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Radio

Sandy
"Radio: An Illustrated Guide" is a very slim comic book that explains how you, the reader, can create your own radio program and record stories for the air. At the same time, it also gives a backstage view of the production of an episode of "This American Life".

Unfortunately, the comic, published in 1999, is kind of dated at this point - the fact that this was published just before the era of podcasting makes the advice they give about using the internet to distribute your stories seem kind of q
Kate
This quirky illustrated guide to making a radio show is more like a hipster comic book than the dull how-to textbooks that I normally have to read in graduate school. The superhero of the book is the adorably-bespeckled Ira Glass, host of NPR's This American Life. We follow him on a day at the radio station, watching as he and his team put together their signature radio program. Radio of course is a medium lacking visual elements, so it was interesting to to follow the radio production process i ...more
Charles
I thought I was purchasing an illustrated guide that would feature just a few illustrations, but this guide is presented entirely in comic book form! Which I loved. The illustrations definitely help -- for example, instead of just reading about proper mic placement, you can see it in action -- and the comic book form is appropriately quirky for a multi-genre radio show like This American Life.

The book follows the creation of an episode from start to finish. Fans of the show (TAL) will enjoy thi
Brendon Kearns
It costs two bucks on their website for the ebook version in .pdf- it's entertaining and well worth the money if you like story telling.
Susie
I consider this more a guide to creating radio stories than a comic book. As a huge This American Life fan, this premise of course appeals to me, but I can't say I'd recommend it to someone who wasn't truly interested in what goes on behind the scenes of public radio. But, if you are, it's just about the best guide to creating compelling audio stories as is available (well, besides transom.org), from story structure and interview tips to how to hold a microphone -- plus it's affordable and only ...more
Meghan
Jessica Abel authored this nonfiction comic book about making the NPR program This American Life. It's more about how to structure the particular brand of segment they do and how to interview people than about radio work in general. Ira Glass in comic form is obscurely annoying.
meg
Nov 04, 2007 meg rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ira glass stalkers
to be fair, this is actually a comic book with all your favorite characters from "this american life" describing the process of making a radio show. yes. ira glass in cartoon form. i loved it, but what kind of surprise is that?
Andrea Kao
Apr 11, 2009 Andrea Kao rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of TAL; aspiring radio producers
Recommended to Andrea by: SASHA
I didn't "rate" this very highly, but it was very informative. It breaks down what may seem mysterious about producing a radio show, particularly a show in the vein of This American Life.
Tricia
Jan 16, 2012 Tricia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: NPR listeners, This American Life fans, documentary fans, comic book nerds, diy'ers
Shelves: journo
I loved this short educational guide to making a radio show. It was simple and entertaining to read, and I used the tips in this book, straight from Ira Glass, to help create a podcast.
Cambra
tal rejected me, so now I stalk their comic forms.

5 mintues later: cute, though not helpful re: my irrational fear of Nancy Updike.
Carli Brosseau
Amazing. How to make literature out loud. Straight-forward and funny and inspiring. A way to a dream (of mine, anyway).
Victor
If Sound Reporting is the encyclopedia, this is the explainer video. A lot of wisdom in a fun format.
Charlie
This quick read inspired me to start planning a radio show for the college station where I work.
NC
comic book about how radio is produced using This American Life as an example.
Joshi
Some helpful tips from the very best.
Kaethe
Kaethe marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Rocky Raffle
Rocky Raffle marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Ethan
Ethan marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Karim
Karim marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Connie
Connie marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Mohsenfahmy Moussa
Mohsenfahmy Moussa marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Guixin Guan
Guixin Guan marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Sound Reporting: The NPR Guide to Audio Journalism and Production
  • Mail Order Bride
  • Monkey Food: The Complete "I Was Seven in '75" Collection
  • The End
  • My Most Secret Desire
  • The Borden Tragedy: A Memoir of the Infamous Double Murder at Fall River, Mass., 1892 (A Treasury of Victorian Murder)
  • Southern Cross: The Beginnings of the Bible Belt
  • A Complete Lowlife
  • House
  • Likewise: The High School Comic Chronicles of Ariel Schrag
  • The End of Victory Culture: Cold War America and the Disillusioning of a Generation
  • A History of US: Book 7: Reconstructing America 1865-1890
  • The Right To Vote The Contested History Of Democracy In The United States
  • Why I Hate Saturn
  • Satchmo Blows Up the World: Jazz Ambassadors Play the Cold War
  • Chants Democratic: New York City and the Rise of the American Working Class, 1788-1850
  • Students for a Democratic Society: A Graphic History
  • Land of Desire: Merchants, Power, and the Rise of a New American Culture
Cartoonist and writer Jessica Abel is the author of the graphic novelLa Perdida(Pantheon Books) as well as two textbooks about making comics,Drawing Words & Writing PicturesandMastering Comics(First Second Books), written in collaboration with her husband, the cartoonist Matt Madden. She's also the co-writer of the graphic novelLife Sucks.
Previously, she publishedSoundtrackandMirror, Window(F
More about Jessica Abel...
La Perdida Life Sucks Drawing Words and Writing Pictures Soundtrack: Short Stories '90-'96 Mirror, Window: Artbabe Coll.