Start by marking “Everett Ruess: A Vagabond For Beauty” as Want to Read:
Everett Ruess: A Vagabond For Beauty

Everett Ruess: A Vagabond For Beauty

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Introduction by John Nichols. Afterword by Edward Abbey.

"Everett Ruess, bold adventurer, artist, writer. He traded prints with Ansel Adams. He studied and lived with Edward Weston, Maynard Dixon, and Dorothea Lange. He tramped around the Sierra Nevada, the California coast, and the desert wilderness of the Southwest, pursuing his dream of ultimate beauty and oneness with
228 pages
Published September 1st 1983 by Gibbs M. Smith, Inc

To ask other readers questions about Everett Ruess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everett Ruess

Ogross
As I was reading Into the Wild, I kept thinking how much Chris McCandless' story reminded me of this biography about Everett Ruess. No surprise when Into the Wild had a whole chapter about that very same comparison. I loved this story, especially reading all the letters Everett wrote during his time traveling around the Southwest in the 1930's. Both books truly touched some part of me that yearns to leave all the trappings of our consumerist society behind. I thought anyone who read this would u ...more
Vicky
I reread W. L. Rusho's Everett Ruess: Vagabond for Beauty , the letters of Ruess and the story of the various searches for him after he disappeared in 1934. This book is one of my favorites and even prompted, many years ago, a hike down into Davis Gulch to follow Ruess' last trail (as it turns out, he was miles away on the other side of the Colorado when he was murdered). His writings about and passion for the canyon country remain a testament to the strong feelings this country evokes.
Chad
Unbeknownst to you, the teenager you pass on the street may be an artist, a writer and the main character in a great adventure. And... there are others who feel the Utah's red-rock desert is so beautiful that it almost kills a sensitive person who immerses himself in it.
Jared
A little-known gem.
Jenny
The letter between Everett & Christopher Ruess. Everett asks questions and his father reply back in a letter.

1. Is service the true end of life? No, but rather happiness through service. Only as we play our part, as a part of the whole, aware of the interrelationedness, do we really and fully live. You and I are like the right hand or the right eye or the big toe-we are grotesque when living apart.

2. Can a strong mind maintain independence and strength if it is not rooted in material indepen
Kenny
Ty
love it.everett ruess was giant amoung midgets.he had a thought process we cannot comprehend to this day
it was amazing to me how educated he was.often i could not believe a teenager was writting such beautiful things about what he wittenessed and thought.he seemed mature beyond his years.at times you get the impression he was an old man looking back on his youth(but wasn't).r.i.p. everett (maybe someday i too, can witness a small portion of the sandstond world you have known and loved).........
Amber
I just recently learned about Everett Ruess and how he liked to wander the desert for months on end while he wrote and painted. I really enjoy accounts of lives such as his, one who breaks away from normal life and pursues truth in the wild. I found this collection of his letters fascinating. They really provide a window into who he was and what he loved.

Highly recommended to anyone who enjoys such tales as that of Christopher McCandless.
Lynette
Really interesting to "go to the source" and read about Everett from his own lips after reading all the other stuff about him (Edward Abbey, Jon Krakauer, Mark Taylor, etc.) --- I hope that Rusho is still around to issue an "afterword" with his take on the discovery of Everett's body in the ridge above Comb Wash ... worth the read if you're an Everett fan...
Rae
In the 1930s, Everett Ruess disappeared at the age of twenty-one while hiking somewhere in the wilds of southern Utah. Prior to his disappearance, he had studied with Edward Weston, Maynard Dixon and Dorothea Lange and had traded prints with Ansel Adams. He wrote letters home to his parents during his wandering years. His body has never been found.
Gregandsandy1
I really wanted to read this book. I had it sent in from a lending library and was so excited to get it. It is mostly comprised of diary entries and they are interesting, but many are very, very similar. It's an interesting story and I'm glad I read it, but it wasn't as riviting as I hoped it would be.
Christi
This is such a fantastic book. Not only is it amazing because it tells the story of Everett Ruess's short life but it includes different essays and quotes. Ruess had a talent for writing and if he had lived longer would have been famous for it I believe. Great story.
Mike
The recounting of the life & mystery of Everett Ruess....artist, vagabond, wishful thinker. Chris McCandless before there was Chris McCandless
Gretchen
Mar 23, 2008 Gretchen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gretchen by: David
Excellent & so inspirational we named one of our sons after him.
Corrie
Unfortunately, we don't know how it ends.
Heather
for anyone with a roaming spirit
Asha
Asha marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Zac Ricica
Zac Ricica marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Gina Deeming
Gina Deeming marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Myur
Myur marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Freja Friborg
Freja Friborg marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Rasmus Røder
Rasmus Røder is currently reading it
Sep 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Everett Ruess: A Vagabond for Beauty The Mystery of Everett Ruess On Desert Trails With Everett Ruess

“I must pack my short lifer full of interesting events and creative activity. Philosophy and aesthetic contemplation are not enough. I intend to do everything possible to broaden my experiences and allow myself to reach the fullest development. Then, and before physical deterioration obtrudes, I shall go on some last wilderness trip to a place I have known and loved. I shall not return.” 5 likes