The Unbidden Truth (Barbara Holloway #8)

The Unbidden Truth (Barbara Holloway #8)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  590 ratings  ·  56 reviews
- This is Kate Wilhelm's second original hardcover title for Mira Books.
- Desperate Measures (Mira Books, 6/02) achieved a fantastic NSR of 67%
- Widely regarded as one of today's best writers, Kate is the bestselling author of over 40 novels, including legal and psychological thrillers and many science-fiction classics.
- Her character Barbara Holloway appears in many of he...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Mira Books

To ask other readers questions about The Unbidden Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unbidden Truth

Vannessagrace Vannessagrace
Barbara Holloway defends a client with amnesia and who had been convicted of murder. Barbara’s job was to prove that the woman had been set up. After someone tried to bomb Barbara’s office, she knew that everyone involved with proving the innocence of the client life was in danger.

The Unbidden Truth was well written with the twists and turns readers expect from a great crime thriller. Anna Fields did a good job in storytelling.
Michele
I enjoyed this book. I think it started out slow but got more engrossing. Man is murdered and woman with amnesia is put on trial for the crime. She starts to remember her past during the trial and it becomes a centerpiece to the crime. The main character is her lawyer, Barbara who works to defend and protect her client. Somewhat predictable in the overall scheme but the details were well developed.
Roxann
From the cover: Oregon attorney Barbara Holloway has an unusual new client. Louise Braniff, member of a group that anonymously supports worthy women's causes, asks her to represent gifted pianist Carol Fredricks, who is accused of murdering the manager of the bar that employed her to entertain. Barbara heard her play and was impressed, but, as she interviews her client, she discovers major problems. When she was eight years old, Carol and her parents were involved in a serious automobile acciden...more
Donna
I first encountered Kate Wilhelm when I read her sci-fi novel "Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang." Now she primarily writes legal fiction, which I also enjoy quite a bit (the genre in general, I mean).

I think this is book #9 in a series about a defense lawyer - Barbara Holloway - who is very, very serious about the law, and very, very good. She has issues. Her dad is also a defense attorney, but he worries about "Bobby." He cooks and gardens, while all Barbara does is work and go for long walks.

Th...more
Gloria Piper
Carrie, who can’t remember before age eight, is arrested for murder. A secret benefactor hires lawyer Barbara Holloway to defend her. As Barbara accumulates evidence relevant to the crime and delves into Carrie’s past, the lawyer finds herself the target of a killer.

Just one chapter, one chapter more. Oops, past my bedtime.
Just one chapter, and another, and another. Oops, missed my work schedule.
That’s how it went with Wilhelm’s novel. Mystery lovers won’t want to miss this one.

Leena
Ho-hum so-so. I generally regard amnesia as a crutch of a plot and prefer my mysteries more realistic. I hate "cozy" mysteries where murders pile up while characters have a jolly good time sipping tea - homicide is so much more devastating in real life. Ironically, I also had a hard time keeping the characters straight and remembering who is who. A rather flat story and a very unsurprising ending.
Elizabeth
Marilyn
A Barbara Holloway series book. "The large retainer offered by a client who asks for complete anonymity is not the only that intrigues Barbara Holloway. The defendant, Carol Fredricks, is a gifted young pianist charged with killing the manager of a piano bar. But Carol is as much of a mystery as the details of the murder for which she is accused. She can't remember anything about her life before the age of eight, and she has been having haunting nightmares about a woman she cannot identify.

Befor...more
Donna
Barbara Holloway is offered a large retainer to defend Carol Fredericks, an itinerant who is accused of murdering the owner of the bar where she played the piano. Barbara is convinced of her client's innocence despite an eye witness who places her at the scene and despite a whiskey glass left at the scene that has Carol's fingerprints. To add to the mystery, Carol is an orphan raised by foster parents who believe everything bad said about her.Carol hasn't been in town long enough to develop any...more
Beverly
Essentially trash. Superhuman but personality-less attorney Barbara Holloway, without consulting any of the many helpers she is constantly dispatching, solves an old crime involving a now grown piano-prodigy child who witnessed a crime when she was seven. The plot revolves around amnesia and coincidence to a ridiculous degree. As stupid as the plot is, that is the strongest element of this novel. The author feebly attempts to give her characters personality, but they remain cliches and caricatur...more
Cathy
someone gave me this book because it's set in Eugene, oregon, where I once lived, and indeed, I was interested. It's a great plot, quite complex and interesting and the courtroom part of the plot is excellent. but her characters are flat. It's the eighth in a series about a lawyer named Barbara Holloway but I know almost nothing about this woman except that she's a workaholic with a widower father and some pretty interesting employees. I read mysteries because they generally sketch out really od...more
Charli
David
ISBN-13: 9781455105250

If you like Barbara Holloway's courtroom appearances, you will be very happy with this book. There are plenty of fireworks, and not all of them are of Barbara's doing.

I had been feeling rather let down on the last few books, because she didn't make it anywhere near a courtroom on some of them.

This book I thought that I was going to enjoy very early on. I just suspected that it would get into court, and the storyline held my interest. The story involves Barbara representing...more
Lavendersbluegreen
I just love a good series. Especially if it can maintain it's momentum and storyline when you get to the 8th book like this one. Imagine being a lawyer who is offered a large retainer but your client requires anonymity and they are hiring you for
someone else. Your client (that you are defending) can't remember their early childhood, is a truly gifted pianist, and has been accused of murder.
These are just some of the details... the story though...
Wow... you expect suspense and a good mystery fr...more
Ann Gillis
Another winner from Kate Wilhelm
A-n-n-e
Good story line. The main character Barvara Hollaway could do with fleshing out.
Rick Bavera
Have read a few of Kate Wilhelm's books, but none ever seem to equal When Late the Sweet Birds Sang or Juniper Time. In my eyes, at least.

Saying that, I found this to be an interesting read, full of twists and turns that I did not expect.

Amnesia, Oregon fog, deserts, builders, a Senator, migrant workers.

A challenging mix that Wilhelm wove into a story that kept my attention until the end.
Donna
I enjoyed this book tremendously. I love Kate Wilhelm and am doing her books in order. The first 7 I listened to on Audible. I enjoyed them very much and think Ms Wilhelm is one of the best authors I have had the pleasure of becoming acquainted with. She tells a might fine story and builds suspense masterfully. This, however, has been my favorite of the lot so far. I am addicted.
Christine
I enjoyed the story very much since this kind of thing (amnesia) can happen to anyone. What a time for Carol to regain a portion of her memories.... Even though I found out so much about this story, I didn't want it to end. I wanted to find out more about "Carol" and her new found family member. Sylvia's performance was a solid one- yet again. Would like to read more about her.
Connie
Barbara Holloway series. This involves a woman that is accused of murder that has had amnesia since she was 7 years old. She didn't remember some of her childhood and only what others told her. She was set up for the murder and Barbara and her band of friends must find who did murder the man. Very good job by Anna Fields as the narrator.
Chris
Oct 23, 2007 Chris rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: legal types, thriller lovers, anyone who loves "Phoenix Wright"
Wonderful book, I tore through it quickly. I really enjoy the Barbara Halloway character and her flaws and problems. The story is very intricately woven with fantastic circumstances that Wilhelm somehow manages to keep believable.

Again, these books end very quickly without any denoument, which I prefer, but still an excellent read.
AmblingBooks
Aug 17, 2012 AmblingBooks marked it as to-read
"Wilhelm is a masterful storyteller whose novels have just the right blend of solid plot, compelling mystery, and great courtroom drama."�Library Journal

Listen to The Unbidden Truth on your iPhone, desktop, or smartphone.
Nancy
An entertaining mystery by Eugene author Kate Wilhelm. I enjoyed her descriptions of Eugene and other spots in Oregon. Some of the decisions by the lawyer/sleuth seemed a bit off the wall, but the story was fast paced enough that I could easily keep going and not get side tracked by these plot devices.
Cindy Barnett
Like this series, perfectly read by Anna Fields. Recommended. I don't usually like female readers (too soft, low volume, etc.) however, her readings stand time well & enhance the story line & cast. Read & audiobooked series. Also available in hardcover & TTS-enabled eBook. ©2004.
John Orman
A mystery in Wilhelm's Barbara Holloway series. A psychological suspenser, this novel has Oregon attorney Holloway defending a pianist accused of murdering the manager of a piano bar.

Sounds like a case with many key points! Hope that defendant doesn't string Barbara along!
Ricardo
This felt like a renewal or refreshing of Kate Wilhelm's writing. The last couple of books were not nearly as good as the first ones, and I was starting to wonder if she was suffering from "Stephen King" syndrome. Fortunately, I was wrong. This was actually a very good read
Marva
Dec 08, 2007 Marva rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery fans
This is the first time I read one of Kate Wilhelm's mysteries. I'll definitely be reading others. This is particularly fun for me since I live in the same town as Ms. Wilhelm and the book is set in our hometown of Eugene, Oregon. Fun to see mentions of places I know and go.
Marcie
I don't read many legal mysteries (can't think of one I've read), but a friend loaned me this prior to another flight for which I was literarily unprepared. I really enjoyed reading it, and if it was cliche or predictable for its genre, I was blissfully unaware.
Marina
I'm enjoying the Barbara Holloway series. Sort of the perfect amount of interest to keep me entertained but not enough drama to stress me out. Plus they're set in Oregon. She doesn't talk about the area nearly enough for my taste, but it's a bonus.
Elizabeth N.
My first by Kate Wilhelm. . Enjoyed the characters and the story line. But it is a good mystery read - not too brutal, no foul language but also not too silly or excessively humorous. I will definitely read more by this author.
  • Absolute Certainty (Marty Nickerson, #1)
  • Land of Echoes (Cree Black, #2)
  • Snake Dreams (Charlie Moon, #13)
  • Unfit to Practice
  • Abuse Of Power
  • Liar, Liar (Cat DeLuca Mysteries, #1)
  • Clearwater Journals
  • Protect and Defend (Kerry Kilcannon, #2)
  • Killer Twist (Ghostwriter Mystery #1)
  • The St. Paul Conspiracy (McRyan Mystery Series, #1)
  • Sly Fox: A Dani Fox Novel
  • Missing
  • Naked Justice (Ben Kincaid, #6)
  • Deadly Devotion (Port Aster Secrets, #1)
  • A Night Too Dark (Kate Shugak, #17)
  • Suspicion of Betrayal (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #4)
  • The Bloomsday Dead (Michael Forsythe #3)
  • Outlaw Mountain (Joanna Brady, #7)
Kate Wilhelm has won the Hugo and several Nebula Awards. She is the widow of author and editor Damon Knight.
More about Kate Wilhelm...
Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang Death Qualified - A Mystery of Chaos (Barbara Holloway #1) The Best Defense (Barbara Holloway #2) The Deepest Water A Wrongful Death (Barbara Holloway #10)