Start by marking “The Unbidden Truth (Barbara Holloway #8)” as Want to Read:
The Unbidden Truth (Barbara Holloway #8)

The Unbidden Truth (Barbara Holloway #8)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  817 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
When Oregon attorney Barbara Holloway is hired to represent Carol Fredricks, a young pianist accused of murdering the manager of a local piano bar, she is plunged into a web of lies that stems from the woman's mysterious childhood.
Published September 1st 2004 by Mira Books

To ask other readers questions about The Unbidden Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unbidden Truth

Vannessagrace Vannessagrace
Barbara Holloway defends a client with amnesia and who had been convicted of murder. Barbara’s job was to prove that the woman had been set up. After someone tried to bomb Barbara’s office, she knew that everyone involved with proving the innocence of the client life was in danger.

The Unbidden Truth was well written with the twists and turns readers expect from a great crime thriller. Anna Fields did a good job in storytelling.
Michele
Aug 20, 2013 Michele rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I think it started out slow but got more engrossing. Man is murdered and woman with amnesia is put on trial for the crime. She starts to remember her past during the trial and it becomes a centerpiece to the crime. The main character is her lawyer, Barbara who works to defend and protect her client. Somewhat predictable in the overall scheme but the details were well developed.
Roxann
Jul 06, 2015 Roxann rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
From the cover: Oregon attorney Barbara Holloway has an unusual new client. Louise Braniff, member of a group that anonymously supports worthy women's causes, asks her to represent gifted pianist Carol Fredricks, who is accused of murdering the manager of the bar that employed her to entertain. Barbara heard her play and was impressed, but, as she interviews her client, she discovers major problems. When she was eight years old, Carol and her parents were involved in a serious automobile acciden ...more
Apr 17, 2011 Donna rated it liked it
I first encountered Kate Wilhelm when I read her sci-fi novel "Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang." Now she primarily writes legal fiction, which I also enjoy quite a bit (the genre in general, I mean).

I think this is book #9 in a series about a defense lawyer - Barbara Holloway - who is very, very serious about the law, and very, very good. She has issues. Her dad is also a defense attorney, but he worries about "Bobby." He cooks and gardens, while all Barbara does is work and go for long walks.

Th
Gloria Piper
Apr 07, 2014 Gloria Piper rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, drama
Carrie, who can’t remember before age eight, is arrested for murder. A secret benefactor hires lawyer Barbara Holloway to defend her. As Barbara accumulates evidence relevant to the crime and delves into Carrie’s past, the lawyer finds herself the target of a killer.

Just one chapter, one chapter more. Oops, past my bedtime.
Just one chapter, and another, and another. Oops, missed my work schedule.
That’s how it went with Wilhelm’s novel. Mystery lovers won’t want to miss this one.

Stacielynn
I hate that I am skipping around, but I can't seem to get them in order -- well, I am too impatient to wait and read them in order.
I like Barbara Halloway and her dad. They always have interesting cases and fascinating characters. This story about a woman whose childhood trauma caused amnesia was intriguing. Sure, it wasn't especially hard to figure out the culprit (although there were some red herrings) but the going along for the ride was fun.
Leena
Jun 30, 2014 Leena rated it it was ok
Ho-hum so-so. I generally regard amnesia as a crutch of a plot and prefer my mysteries more realistic. I hate "cozy" mysteries where murders pile up while characters have a jolly good time sipping tea - homicide is so much more devastating in real life. Ironically, I also had a hard time keeping the characters straight and remembering who is who. A rather flat story and a very unsurprising ending.
Elizabeth
Jan 15, 2011 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Marilyn
Dec 23, 2009 Marilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Barbara Holloway series book. "The large retainer offered by a client who asks for complete anonymity is not the only that intrigues Barbara Holloway. The defendant, Carol Fredricks, is a gifted young pianist charged with killing the manager of a piano bar. But Carol is as much of a mystery as the details of the murder for which she is accused. She can't remember anything about her life before the age of eight, and she has been having haunting nightmares about a woman she cannot identify.

Befor
Lindsey Allen
Jan 07, 2016 Lindsey Allen rated it really liked it
Using Overdrive to read this from my public library. Such a refreshing change. No cost for the book. No driving to the library and dealing with normal (abnormal) humanity. Just found the book and started reading it with the Overdrive browser. Not as good as iBook in my opinion but good enough.
Jun 19, 2009 Donna rated it really liked it
Barbara Holloway is offered a large retainer to defend Carol Fredericks, an itinerant who is accused of murdering the owner of the bar where she played the piano. Barbara is convinced of her client's innocence despite an eye witness who places her at the scene and despite a whiskey glass left at the scene that has Carol's fingerprints. To add to the mystery, Carol is an orphan raised by foster parents who believe everything bad said about her.Carol hasn't been in town long enough to develop any ...more
Beverly
Jul 19, 2009 Beverly rated it did not like it
Essentially trash. Superhuman but personality-less attorney Barbara Holloway, without consulting any of the many helpers she is constantly dispatching, solves an old crime involving a now grown piano-prodigy child who witnessed a crime when she was seven. The plot revolves around amnesia and coincidence to a ridiculous degree. As stupid as the plot is, that is the strongest element of this novel. The author feebly attempts to give her characters personality, but they remain cliches and caricatur ...more
Cathy
Jun 10, 2013 Cathy rated it it was ok
someone gave me this book because it's set in Eugene, oregon, where I once lived, and indeed, I was interested. It's a great plot, quite complex and interesting and the courtroom part of the plot is excellent. but her characters are flat. It's the eighth in a series about a lawyer named Barbara Holloway but I know almost nothing about this woman except that she's a workaholic with a widower father and some pretty interesting employees. I read mysteries because they generally sketch out really od ...more
Ellen
Feb 25, 2015 Ellen rated it really liked it
I think, since I read this book out of order, my rating is probably closer to a 3.5. It would have helped to know the background on some of the other central characters, but still an enjoyable series.
Charli
Mar 29, 2008 Charli rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2008
David
Sep 05, 2011 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, kate-wilhelm
ISBN-13: 9781455105250

If you like Barbara Holloway's courtroom appearances, you will be very happy with this book. There are plenty of fireworks, and not all of them are of Barbara's doing.

I had been feeling rather let down on the last few books, because she didn't make it anywhere near a courtroom on some of them.

This book I thought that I was going to enjoy very early on. I just suspected that it would get into court, and the storyline held my interest. The story involves Barbara representing
Mary Baker
Dec 25, 2014 Mary Baker rated it really liked it
I have read and enjoyed several of Ms. Wilhelm"s series
Lavendersbluegreen
I just love a good series. Especially if it can maintain it's momentum and storyline when you get to the 8th book like this one. Imagine being a lawyer who is offered a large retainer but your client requires anonymity and they are hiring you for
someone else. Your client (that you are defending) can't remember their early childhood, is a truly gifted pianist, and has been accused of murder.
These are just some of the details... the story though...
Wow... you expect suspense and a good mystery fr
Ann Gillis
It was a good book.
A-n-n-e
Jan 23, 2014 A-n-n-e rated it really liked it
Shelves: wilhelm-kate
Good story line. The main character Barvara Hollaway could do with fleshing out.
Rick Bavera
Oct 29, 2013 Rick Bavera rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Have read a few of Kate Wilhelm's books, but none ever seem to equal When Late the Sweet Birds Sang or Juniper Time. In my eyes, at least.

Saying that, I found this to be an interesting read, full of twists and turns that I did not expect.

Amnesia, Oregon fog, deserts, builders, a Senator, migrant workers.

A challenging mix that Wilhelm wove into a story that kept my attention until the end.
Dawn
This is almost like a cozy mystery, where no one is ever in any real danger and the action all happens offstage and is reported. Not very satisfying, really.
Mar 16, 2013 Donna rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book tremendously. I love Kate Wilhelm and am doing her books in order. The first 7 I listened to on Audible. I enjoyed them very much and think Ms Wilhelm is one of the best authors I have had the pleasure of becoming acquainted with. She tells a might fine story and builds suspense masterfully. This, however, has been my favorite of the lot so far. I am addicted.
Christine
Jan 11, 2012 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the story very much since this kind of thing (amnesia) can happen to anyone. What a time for Carol to regain a portion of her memories.... Even though I found out so much about this story, I didn't want it to end. I wanted to find out more about "Carol" and her new found family member. Sylvia's performance was a solid one- yet again. Would like to read more about her.
Dawn Hadley
Mar 03, 2015 Dawn Hadley rated it liked it
Not her best but better than the last one! I do like the writing style and characters.
Connie
Aug 29, 2011 Connie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Barbara Holloway series. This involves a woman that is accused of murder that has had amnesia since she was 7 years old. She didn't remember some of her childhood and only what others told her. She was set up for the murder and Barbara and her band of friends must find who did murder the man. Very good job by Anna Fields as the narrator.
Chris
Oct 23, 2007 Chris rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: legal types, thriller lovers, anyone who loves "Phoenix Wright"
Wonderful book, I tore through it quickly. I really enjoy the Barbara Halloway character and her flaws and problems. The story is very intricately woven with fantastic circumstances that Wilhelm somehow manages to keep believable.

Again, these books end very quickly without any denoument, which I prefer, but still an excellent read.
Nancy
Oct 26, 2008 Nancy rated it liked it
An entertaining mystery by Eugene author Kate Wilhelm. I enjoyed her descriptions of Eugene and other spots in Oregon. Some of the decisions by the lawyer/sleuth seemed a bit off the wall, but the story was fast paced enough that I could easily keep going and not get side tracked by these plot devices.
Cindy
May 22, 2014 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Like this series, perfectly read by Anna Fields. Recommended. I don't usually like female readers (too soft, low volume, etc.) however, her readings stand time well & enhance the story line & cast. Read & audiobooked series. Also available in hardcover & TTS-enabled eBook. 2004. ...more
  • Absolute Certainty (Marty Nickerson, #1)
  • Sing It To Her Bones (Hannah Ives Mystery #1)
  • Adversity Quotient: Turning Obstacles Into Opportunities
  • The Babysitter's Handbook: The Care and Keeping of Kids (American Girl (Quality))
  • Rewriting History
  • Cognitive Therapy of Personality Disorders
  • Jealousy
  • The Fall of the House of Bush: How a Group of True Believers Put America on the Road to Armageddon
  • Night Kill (Iris Oakley, #1)
  • Watch Me
  • The Soul of Capitalism: Opening Paths to a Moral Economy
  • Hell to Pay: The Unfolding Story of Hillary Rodham
  • Curveball: Spies, Lies, and the Man Behind Them: How America Went to War in Iraq
  • The Brothers of Baker Street: A Mystery
  • The Dominion of War: Empire and Liberty in North America, 1500-2000
  • Selected Stories
  • The Republican Noise Machine: Right-Wing Media and How It Corrupts Democracy
  • A Woman's Book of Life
Kate Wilhelm has won the Hugo and several Nebula Awards. She is the widow of author and editor Damon Knight.
More about Kate Wilhelm...

Barbara Holloway (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Death Qualified - A Mystery of Chaos (Barbara Holloway #1)
  • The Best Defense (Barbara Holloway #2)
  • Malice Prepense (Barbara Holloway #3)
  • Defense for the Devil (Barbara Holloway #4)
  • No Defense (Barbara Holloway #5)
  • Desperate Measures (Barbara Holloway #6)
  • Clear and Convincing Proof (Barbara Holloway #7)
  • Sleight of Hand (Barbara Holloway #9)
  • A Wrongful Death (Barbara Holloway #10)
  • Cold Case (Barbara Holloway #11)