Start by marking “Sleepwalking” as Want to Read:
Sleepwalking

Sleepwalking

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The debut novel from New York Times–bestselling author Meg Wolitzer, a story of three college students’ shared fascination with poetry and death, and how one of them must face difficult truths in order to leave her obsession behind.

Published when she was only twenty-three and written while she was a student at Brown, Sleepwalking marks the beginning of Meg Wolitzer’s accl
Published April 1st 1984 by Avon Flare (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Sleepwalking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleepwalking

Time To Let Go by Christoph FischerThe Wayward Gifted by Donna K. ChildreeAmerican Past Time by Len JoyDolores Claiborne by Stephen KingSpilled Coffee by J.B. Chicoine
Novels Focused on Family Dynamics
186th out of 248 books — 40 voters
The Outsiders by S.E. HintonI Never Promised You a Rose Garden by Joanne GreenbergThat Was Then, This is Now by S.E. HintonGo Ask Alice by Beatrice SparksThe Girls of Huntington House by Blossom Elfman
Classic Teens in Trouble
70th out of 86 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Julie Ehlers
As Meg Wolitzer explains in an interesting new preface to this 2014 edition, Sleepwalking is her first novel, written while she was still an undergraduate at Brown. I have to admit that when I first started reading, the novelty of this was foremost in my mind, and I kept trying to decide if the book was genuinely good, or just good for someone who'd written it as an undergraduate. Ultimately the book became so interesting as to distract me from such thoughts entirely. The blurb for this novel is ...more
Sheila
I'm giving this book 5 stars, but that doesn't mean it's an amazing book. In fact, it's overwrought and dated. However, I love this book--mostly because I read it over and over again when I was 13 or so. It's one of those books that really spoke to me at that age, and so it gets 5 stars for nostalgia.

I thought being a "death girl" (sort of a pre-Goth; this book was published in 1982) and staying up all night in college, reading poetry around a candle, would be so cool. Claire, the protagonist, s
Hannah
Doris
Read for fun.

This was a really well-written book--I can't believe the author wrote it in college! I really had a hard time putting it down because it was so thoughtful and clever. If I had any nitpicky criticisms, it would be that the characterization of the main characters was not as complex as it could have been. I liked that the central point of view frequently changed, such that we could see a character through his/her own eyes as well as those of another character, but sometimes this approa
Cherie
A Great book. Three young college women are obsessed w poets who commited suicide - "the death girls." When one of them falls in love, and then falls apart, she tries to find herself and get back together in a rather strange way. A book about love, self-exploration, self, writing, poetry, and how writing has the power to control our lives.
Tracy
Halfway through I thought this story is just not working for me and there are so many others to read. Time to cut bait.
sheetal
Smart writing, engaging voice. Wolitzer is fast becoming one of my favorites.
William Granger
I stuck with it and I am glad I did. This is the second book that I've read of Wolitzer's (I read The Interestings first, and I will try more of her novels in time.
Lydia Wang
Absolute love. Would recommend to fans of The Virgin Suicides or The Bell Jar.
Sabine
A calm, quiet book, but very deep. Wolitzer's skill with language and her understanding of the (sad) human condition, especially when it comes to females, is amazing.
Ruth Conrad
I had read all of Meg Wolitzer's novels except for this one, her very first novel which she wrote just out of college in 1982. I found it interesting but not as complex as her later novels. The novel centers on three "death girls" and their preoccupation with deceased authors such as Anne Sexton and Sylvia Plath.
Lolly LKH
eh... I just couldn't get into it. It wasn't terrible, just really dragged me along and the three girls relationship just seemed juvenile for college aged young women.
Sue
Claire and the Death Girls. Are obsessed with Lucy Ascher the poet. Go and live with Luc's parents.
Jessica Bass
I literally didn't put this book down until I was finished reading.
Cheryl
Mar 06, 2013 Cheryl marked it as incompletely-investigated  ·  review of another edition
I mean to say, just look at that cover.
marine
marine marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Annprussell
Annprussell marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Katlyn
Katlyn is currently reading it
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Andrea Sgobbo
Andrea Sgobbo marked it as to-read
Jackie Sonnenberg
Jackie Sonnenberg marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Adam Di Filippi
Adam Di Filippi marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Kathie
Kathie is currently reading it
Jan 18, 2015
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Kayley Fouts
Kayley Fouts is currently reading it
Jan 27, 2015
  • From a Distance
  • P.S.
  • The Wallcreeper
  • By the Shore
  • ChefMD's Big Book of Culinary Medicine: A Food Lover's Road Map to Losing Weight, Preventing Disease, and Getting Really Healthy
  • Insomnia Diary
  • All My Friends
  • The Morning of the Poem
  • اینجا همه‌ی آدم‌ها این‌جوری‌اند
  • Apprentice to the Flower Poet Z.: A Novel
Meg Wolitzer is the author of The Ten-Year Nap and seven previous novels, including The Position and The Wife . Her short fiction has appeared in The Best American Short Stories and The Pushcart Prize.

Author photo copyright Deborah Copaken.
More about Meg Wolitzer...
The Interestings The Ten-Year Nap Belzhar The Uncoupling The Wife