Start by marking “Hearts” as Want to Read:
Hearts

Hearts

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  114 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Linda and Robin Reismann barely know each other. The only thing that connects them is Linda’s six-week-old marriage to Robin’s father, who has suddenly died.

Widowed at twenty-six, Linda is heading to California to start over, uncertain what the future holds. In the trunk of her car, she carries her husband’s amateur paintings, along with his ashes. Robin, her silent, angr
Published February 28th 2006 by Ballantine Books (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hearts

The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Odyssey by HomerOn the Road by Jack KerouacThe Road by Cormac McCarthy
Road Trip
90th out of 304 books — 197 voters
Perfection by R.L. MathewsonThe Marriage Bargain by Jennifer ProbstThe Trouble with Tomboys by Linda KageThe Proposition by Katie AshleyDragon Bound by Thea Harrison
baby-on-the-way heroines
98th out of 181 books — 124 voters

More lists with this book...

Georgann
Apr 28, 2012 Georgann rated it really liked it
I like all of Wolitzer's books. This is an older title that I had missed. The issues are handled through the filter of main character Linda, widowed after being married just a few weeks. She inherits a stepdaughter and plans to return her to the family who abandoned her as a small child. The character development is so well painted by Wolitzer's language. The plot vehicle of the cross-country drive is just right for the progression of the story, fits and starts and overnights in crummy motels. H ...more
Elizabeth Quinn
Jul 07, 2014 Elizabeth Quinn rated it liked it
I read the sequel to Hearts, a novel titled Tunnel of Love, and liked it so much that I decided to read the first installment of the Linda and Robin saga. Linda's a 20-something who married 13-year-old Robin's father, who dropped dead six weeks later. Hearts is the tale of their cross-country journey, in the course of which Linda hopes to reunite Robin with her remaining family members -- her paternal grandfather and/or the mother who walked out when Robin was three. Robin is prickly and smartmo ...more
Sheri
May 10, 2014 Sheri rated it it was ok
I had this on my "to-read" because it was recommended a while back. In the meantime, I read The Doctor's Daughter and was not very impressed so my expectations had dropped. This was still worse that I expected.

It's one of those books that as I read, I see the author rubbing her hands together and giggling thinking things like, "ohh...and then I'll have them do this." without actually questioning if any of it is plausible or interesting.

Set in the early 80s, Laura has inherited Robin (her 13 year
Judy
Apr 19, 2015 Judy rated it liked it
Shelves: novel
I didn't like this one quite as well as others by this author, but it was still a well written character study of a 26 year-old widow and her cross country drive with her 13 year-old step-daughter.
Margery
Nov 28, 2009 Margery rated it liked it
Linda Reisman, widowed at 26, decides to drive her 13 year old stepdaughter across country to relatives on the West Coast. They commu-nicate poorly, if at all, until Linda discovers she is pregnant.
Sally
Feb 02, 2013 Sally rated it liked it
3+ for sure. I was delighted to read this road trip book and discover a new author I hadn't had the pleasure of reading before. Hope to read many more of her books, now.
Linda
Aug 31, 2011 Linda rated it liked it
A 36-yr old woman married a man with a 13-yr old daughter. He dies a few weeks later and she is left to raise the girl.
Carol
Sep 29, 2009 Carol rated it it was ok
Shelves: posted-on-pbs, mailed
I have to say I was disappointed in this book. I was 3/4 of the way through before I could say I was even into the story. The reviews on the back said that this was a great book, well-written with a hint of humor. I could not find the humor and actually found it be be rather uninspiring and bland. I have another book by this author but I think it will be awhile before I read it and I certainly hope it was better than this one.
Sara Smith
Apr 30, 2012 Sara Smith rated it really liked it
Liked the characters in this book although did not love the ending. Felt too abrupt.
K
Mar 15, 2007 K rated it did not like it
Shelves: chicklit
Very predictable and not that great.
Reta Goertson
Mar 13, 2013 Reta Goertson rated it liked it
It was just an ok story.
Mrs Karen Wilson
Mrs Karen Wilson marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
T
T marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Kate Woodworth
Kate Woodworth rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Evan
Evan rated it it was ok
Jun 16, 2016
Judy Tremblett
Judy Tremblett rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2016
Carrie
Carrie rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2016
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Andreea
Andreea marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Carol Feldman
Carol Feldman marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Claire H
Claire H marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
AMY
AMY marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Juli Wooden
Juli Wooden marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Patty
Patty rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2015
Rebeccah
Rebeccah rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2015
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
  • Hell
  • The Mottled Lizard
  • The Annunciation
  • Walking Wisdom: Three Generations, Two Dogs, and the Search for a Happy Life
  • Rebel (The Prometheus Project, #3)
  • WordPress All-In-One for Dummies
  • The Snake Has All the Lines
  • Sue Barton, Neighborhood Nurse (Sue Barton, #6)
  • The Incredible Hercules: Secret Invasion
  • Stepping
  • The Voyage
  • Saturday's Child
  • Science Fiction: The 101 Best Novels 1985 – 2010
  • Honest Pretzels: And 64 Other Amazing Recipes for Kids
Hilma Wolitzer (b. 1930) is a critically hailed author of literary fiction. She is a recipient of Guggenheim and National Endowment for the Arts fellowships, an American Academy of Arts and Letters Award in Literature, and a Barnes & Noble Writer for Writers Award. She has two daughters—an editor and a novelist—and lives with her husband in New York City, where she continues to write.
More about Hilma Wolitzer...