Start by marking “Friend Raising: Building a Missionary Support Team That Lasts” as Want to Read:
Friend Raising: Building a Missionary Support Team That Lasts

Friend Raising: Building a Missionary Support Team That Lasts

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Friend Raising brings together God's plan for missions support with principles proven in the field. The book focuses on the four practical pillars of lasting support raising: friend raising, generosity, communication, and prayer with promises. In a world swamped by fund-raising hype and gimmicks, Betty Barnett presents a refreshing biblical alternative.
Published September 1st 1996 by YWAM Publishing (first published June 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Friend Raising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Friend Raising

Alisa
Sep 30, 2010 Alisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Missionaries
Recommended to Alisa by: Meghan Burbidge
Michael Peters
I liked the book at first, the author is pretty inspiring. However, I noticed I don't always theologically agree with the author. Sometimes, Barnett implies God works on a Cause & Effect basis. On at least one occasion, she implies she didn't get some funding until she did something that pleased God.

Barnett's ideas on communicating with donors are good. However, I have not done all the good things Barnett writes about and I still receive funding.

Read the book, but take the parts about "Why
Glenda
It is a great help in raising support partners in working together for God's glory. Learning support raising is expanding my network of friends and doing God's cause together. A great read!
Michael
Good principles and real-life examples for those learning to partner with others financially by raising support. Though I've heard plenty of sermons on the topics of using money, this book was specific and focused on the missionary in a way that was different. Drawing from her own experiences, the author had some very helpful insights in seeing financial donors as much more than just money-givers, but as friends and partners.
I especially appreciated her focus on the importance of missionaries be
Andrea
Has some good ideas and some ideas that just aren't right for us. Overall, an OK book. I thing it would be worth it for a new missionary or missionary in training to read.
Emily
This is a very helpful book for anyone living a support-dependent lifestyle. In fact, many of the topics addressed would be helpful for everyone, whether living on support or working a salary-set job. I will say that not everything that she suggests would work well for me personally. But overall it gives a good perspective on support raising - it's not about the money, it's about the relationships; it's about the body of Christ working together. God will provide.
Mark
Jul 02, 2011 Mark rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: missionaries
For anyone starting out as a missionary, this is a great book. She really captures a lot of the elements required to raise a missionary budget, to stay connected, and why it's important. If you are raising a budget, this book will give you the heart of it, but I would also recommend a more "hand-on" book such as Funding Your Ministry by Scott Morton--he can give you more of the "how to" from what I've seen.
Stephanie
This is a good book for those involved in raising ministry support. Betty Barnett conveys solid principles for "friend raising" with enthusiasm, conviction, scriptural support, and inspiring anecdotes. She also includes a number of practical helps, varying from newsletter-writing suggestions to sample response and record-keeping forms.
Mark
May 15, 2013 Mark rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: missionaries
Reading this book and similar materials was critical to learning how to raise my support as a missionary. I highly recommend it as a biblical resource for anyone who has to raise funds for missions. This simple and biblical resource will help you to feel grounded and confident about what you are doing.
I heard good things about this one, but I have to say I thought it fell short. I expected some really great tips, but I thought the book was more common sense. Be a real friend, even long distance, and the support will follow.
Stacey
This book was one more piece in the Sacred Echo we have been hearing concerning gernerousity. To be people who give and receive and not buy and sell.
Meagan Bennett
Meagan Bennett marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
April-lyn
April-lyn is currently reading it
Dec 05, 2014
Adrian Elliott
Adrian Elliott marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Kizzy Allen
Kizzy Allen is currently reading it
Nov 28, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Steve Smith
Steve Smith marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Lance Schaubert
Lance Schaubert marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Dan
Dan added it
Aug 15, 2014
Tabi Anne
Tabi Anne is currently reading it
Jul 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Como Crear un Equipo de Apoyo Personal Que Perdure Multimedia Yearbooks: An Entrepreneurial Marketing Simulation Building Relationships (Living Encounters Series)