Start by marking “Friend Raising: Building a Missionary Support Team That Lasts” as Want to Read:
Friend Raising: Building a Missionary Support Team That Lasts

Friend Raising: Building a Missionary Support Team That Lasts

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  102 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Friend Raising brings together God's plan for missions support with principles proven in the field. The book focuses on the four practical pillars of lasting support raising: friend raising, generosity, communication, and prayer with promises. In a world swamped by fund-raising hype and gimmicks, Betty Barnett presents a refreshing biblical alternative.
Published September 1st 1996 by YWAM Publishing (first published June 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Friend Raising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Friend Raising

Ken
Feb 16, 2016 Ken rated it it was amazing
I wanted to get a better perspective on support raising for mission assignments, I read this in two half evenings, so it is not difficult. I have a new understanding of the process and of good practices in this arena. The emphasis on relationship is encouraging and accurate.
Alisa
Sep 30, 2010 Alisa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Missionaries
Recommended to Alisa by: Meghan Burbidge
Michael Peters
I liked the book at first, the author is pretty inspiring. However, I noticed I don't always theologically agree with the author. Sometimes, Barnett implies God works on a Cause & Effect basis. On at least one occasion, she implies she didn't get some funding until she did something that pleased God.

Barnett's ideas on communicating with donors are good. However, I have not done all the good things Barnett writes about and I still receive funding.

Read the book, but take the parts about "Why
Mary Brace
Feb 21, 2016 Mary Brace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read it twice and then gave it to a friend who was support raising. Very helpful and inspiring.
Michael
Mar 01, 2011 Michael rated it liked it
Good principles and real-life examples for those learning to partner with others financially by raising support. Though I've heard plenty of sermons on the topics of using money, this book was specific and focused on the missionary in a way that was different. Drawing from her own experiences, the author had some very helpful insights in seeing financial donors as much more than just money-givers, but as friends and partners.
I especially appreciated her focus on the importance of missionaries be
Andrea
Sep 24, 2014 Andrea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Has some good ideas and some ideas that just aren't right for us. Overall, an OK book. I thing it would be worth it for a new missionary or missionary in training to read.
Emily
Oct 05, 2011 Emily rated it liked it
This is a very helpful book for anyone living a support-dependent lifestyle. In fact, many of the topics addressed would be helpful for everyone, whether living on support or working a salary-set job. I will say that not everything that she suggests would work well for me personally. But overall it gives a good perspective on support raising - it's not about the money, it's about the relationships; it's about the body of Christ working together. God will provide.
Pam
Feb 09, 2016 Pam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful reminder regarding "friend-raising" as opposed to support raising.
Generosity, prayer, communication.
Mark
Jul 02, 2011 Mark rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: missionaries
For anyone starting out as a missionary, this is a great book. She really captures a lot of the elements required to raise a missionary budget, to stay connected, and why it's important. If you are raising a budget, this book will give you the heart of it, but I would also recommend a more "hand-on" book such as Funding Your Ministry by Scott Morton--he can give you more of the "how to" from what I've seen.
Meagan
Apr 23, 2015 Meagan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't get much practical knowledge from this book but it did change my heart in how I look at people in the support raising process, especially in the part where she talks about the wrong in looking at people with $$ in your eyes. Jesus made a huge impact on her relationships and you can just feel the love she has for people in her words.
Stephanie
Aug 12, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book for those involved in raising ministry support. Betty Barnett conveys solid principles for "friend raising" with enthusiasm, conviction, scriptural support, and inspiring anecdotes. She also includes a number of practical helps, varying from newsletter-writing suggestions to sample response and record-keeping forms.
Mark
May 15, 2013 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: missionaries
Reading this book and similar materials was critical to learning how to raise my support as a missionary. I highly recommend it as a biblical resource for anyone who has to raise funds for missions. This simple and biblical resource will help you to feel grounded and confident about what you are doing.
Jul 30, 2013 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I heard good things about this one, but I have to say I thought it fell short. I expected some really great tips, but I thought the book was more common sense. Be a real friend, even long distance, and the support will follow.
Glenda
It is a great help in raising support partners in working together for God's glory. Learning support raising is expanding my network of friends and doing God's cause together. A great read!
Stacey
Mar 15, 2010 Stacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith, finance, missions
This book was one more piece in the Sacred Echo we have been hearing concerning gernerousity. To be people who give and receive and not buy and sell.
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Mary Lange
Mary Lange rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2016
Hannah
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2016
Deborah
Deborah rated it liked it
May 30, 2016
Nicole Gregor
Nicole Gregor rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2016
Sarah Schaff
Sarah Schaff rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
Dana Ostby
Dana Ostby marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Hillary Krippaehne
Hillary Krippaehne marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Jeff & Bet
Jeff & Bet marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Srîkantħ YaÐav
Srîkantħ YaÐav marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
  • Re Entry
  • Daring to Live on the Edge: The Adventure of Faith and Finances
  • The Missionary Call: Find Your Place in God's Plan For the World
  • Funding Your Ministry
  • The Missionary Movement in Christian History: Studies in Transmission of Faith
  • The Great Omission: Fulfilling Christ's Commission Completely
  • Don't Let the Goats Eat the Loquat Trees: The Adventures of an American Surgeon in Nepal
  • The Compact Guide to World Religions
  • African Friends and Money Matters: Observations from Africa
  • Eternity in Their Hearts:  Startling Evidence of Belief in the One True God in Hundreds of Cultures Throughout the World
  • Foolishness to the Greeks: The Gospel and Western Culture
  • Mission in the Old Testament: Israel as a Light to the Nations
  • Give Me This Mountain
  • Mountain Rain: A Biography of James O. Fraser: Pioneer Missionary to China
  • Anthropological Insights for Missionaries
  • Missionary Methods: St. Paul's or Ours?
  • Finding Organic Church: A Comprehensive Guide to Starting and Sustaining Authentic Christian Communities