Start by marking “Trouble at the Yard Sale” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Trouble at the Yard Sale

William Kotzwinkle

Trouble at the Yard Sale (Walter the Farting Dog #2)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  353 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Walter's' family is holding a yard sale, but there are few customers. Walter, farting contentedly near Father, wonders why. When a man offers ten dollars for Walter, Father readily agrees. Walter wonders why. Walter is sad to leave his family behind, but relieved to discover that his new owner is a clown. Walter figures he will help the clown bring joy to children on their...more
Hardcover
Published by Dutton Children's Books (first published March 30th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Trouble at the Yard Sale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trouble at the Yard Sale

Manny
If you're disappointed that your five-year-old doesn't yet appreciate Chaucer or Chagall, start by reading them this excellent little book. Walter, the eponymously flatulent hero, has accompanied his family to the yard sale, but is scaring away the prospective customers with his gaseous emissions. The kids love him with that special, unconditional love that small children feel for their dogs, but Dad is rather less loyal. He waits until his children have gone off for a moment, then sells Walter...more
Laima
I found this book to be creepy, disturbing and oh so wrong on so many levels.

Walter's family is holding a yard sale but things aren't selling well. The children, Betty and Billy, run off to buy some ice cream and while away, their father sells Walter their dog for $10 to a clown. THEN he lies to the kids saying that Walter wandered off!!
The clown ends up being a bank robber who lies to Walter saying he is blowing up balloons for a good cause - children - but is really planning a bank heist. Wal...more
Tracey
This book was disturbing to both my husband and me. We are not bothered by the potty humor however the illustrations are disturbing and the father selling the beloved (if flatulent) family pet while the children are buying ice cream does not send a good message to children. The father lies when the children ask him about Walter and then when Walter returns home a hero, the father stands proudly and sings Walter's praises. After reading this to my 4 year old I asked her what she thought about the...more
Tim
I would recommend that, before you read this book, you read the first in the series, “Walter the Farting Dog,” for context and background, neither of which is particularly complex. This one tells of Father’s difficulty selling anything at all at a neighborhood yard sale, when this fellow comes along and offers to purchase Walter, farts and all, for $10. Of course, Betty and Billy are elsewhere, so Father closes the deal. The buyer is a clown, and plans to put Walter to good use with a clever dev...more
Alanna (The Flashlight Reader)
Don't be discouraged by the title. Yes, Walter is a farting dog, but it's funny--- not gross.He uses his flatulence for good, not evil.

In this book, Walter helps foil a would-be thief's dastardly plot to rob banks. No one is expecting his stink bombs to be able to take out grown men with a single whiff, but they do. In the end, the family realizes what makes a family a family, and even dad learns to appreciate Walter just the way he is.

I admit it's a bit much at time. A dog that passes gas--of...more
Amy
After seeing the cover of this book I got really excited because I thought it would be so awkward and funny. However, I really did not like it. I think writing about a farting dog is an awesome idea for a children's book because kids are so fascinated by farting. But I found that this book is just crude and scary. Walter gets sold by his owner to a freaky clown who forces him to fart, then uses his gas balloons to make people pass out and robs a bank! Clowns already have a terrible reputation, a...more
Bernadette
Jul 30, 2007 Bernadette rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: children
You will either love it or hate it. I hated it. I'm not a prude; I can sometimes appreciate potty humor. However, Trouble at the Yard Sale features such a cast of completely unsympathetic characters that I find nothing redeeming to say about this book. The father is a bastard who sells the family dog while the kids are off buying ice cream, then he lies and tells them the dog ran away. The guy he sold their dog to is an evil clown/crook who straps the dog into a "fart capturing machine" so that...more
Deborah Darsie
Aside from the dedication of the book, I found this a detriment to the Walter stories.

Lying father, evil clown, poor Walter is a captive and the illustrations were a bit disturbing. Unfortunately there is not much of a positive lesson in this book.

I won't be reading this to my young nephews or nieces and I am donating it to the library in case SOMEONE wants it.

Gretchen
I would rate this book higher, but I cannot get over the Dad selling the family dog at a yard sale while the kids aren't around! That's horrible! And again, creepy artwork. Otherwise, I found the idea of using farts as a dangerous weapon quite funny.
Brogan
Walter stopped a bank robber with his fart. I thought it was a funny book.
James
It's not your typical children's book but you know what, that's a really good thing because most new children's books that come out nowadays are easy to forget. They should let kids write their own books because adults try to get cutesy and they just suck at it. This book is a bit more unique and my son and I like to read it while we make fart noises together whenever Walter lets one rip. If you are really uptight and worry about exposing your children to farts, or just the word FART you will pr...more
Ealthafer
Oh Walter. Walter took a little while to grow on me but I wanted to like him so I kept giving him chances. The illustrations are very differnt from anyother children's book I've ever seen and can come off a little bit scary... atleast they did to me. The story is a little out there too but it is a book that children will LOVE becuase it is about a dog that farts. I would use this book to show students that they truly can write about anything they want. I would also use this book to teach the cra...more
Caleb
I like that bad guys are blown away by Walter's fart? It was a funny book.
Jill
Dissapointing. I really liked the original book, but now that all these other ones have come out.... It is kinda like when an original of a movie is good and then they just make more and more but the don't quite live up to the first. This one was just weird. Walter ends up eating beans & hooked up to a fart machine that is suctioned to his rear all the while blowing up balloons with his gas. Maybe some young kids will find it funny, but I didn't. Also, the graphics are just strangely done, t...more
Anna
Man, I really liked this book. To begin with, it starts out with a dedication for anyone who didn't fit in. And yeah, it's pretty funny to watch parents' faces when you give this to their children and also to see the kids' faces because they get to read a book about farting. But honestly, I just love the message behind it. The kids in the story will do anything for their nasty smelly dog, Walter and the adults just don't understand.
Hannah Morrison
Very entertaining for children and adults. The book itself did not seem that deep to me, although the dedication was to those who have ever felt left out, which holds meaning. My little brother thought this book was hilarious, so anything that makes him laugh makes me happy. I can definitely see parents getting upset if you use this as a read aloud but it absolutely has the humor that appeals to children.
Linda Costello
One of the students in my class could not stop laughing when reading this book aloud to the class. The students kept looking around wondering if they were going to get in trouble. A bank robber has Walter fart into balloons. He then uses these ballons to rob banks... because no one could stand the smell. This is not a great piece of children's literature but can really motivate some students to read.
J-Lynn
Another installment in the sagas of Walter the Farting Dog. I didn't like this one as much as the first because the concept of a funny farting dog is a little old. This storyline is also much more fantastical--Walter's behind is strapped to a machine, and he is forced to blow up balloons for an evil clown. Eventually, he helps the police capture the clown and is reunited with his family.
Janet Chen
This book seemed like it would be really interesting, but once reading it, its kinda scary. I would not read this to my class mainly because it is about a farting dog and the plot behind it is about a clown who steals... not exactly the best lesson I want to portray to my students. The illustrations also are something that was kind of disturbing the dog was different and odd.
Stephanie Marshall
Oct 04, 2012 Stephanie Marshall rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children
Poor Walter...he always seems to have stomach trouble, but manages to pull through and save the day. I like these books because 1) they are funny and 2) they build kids self esteem, which I think is wonderful. If I had a kid I would own the whole series of these books because I think it sends a good message, that no one is perfect and that we are all biological human beings.
Rebecca
I read this to my son when we got from the library this afternoon. After finishing it he said we could take it right back to the library because it was too silly. I agreed. It just didn't do it for us. The dog gets sold at a yard sale to a bank robber who captures his farts in a fart catching machine to blow up balloons that he uses to make people at the bank pass out.
Elizabeth
Perhaps the worst children's book ever. Just as an example, the father sends his kids out for ice cream during the family yard sale so that he can surreptitiously sell the family dog, who apparently has some sort of digestive problem. The dad then lies and tells his kids that the dog ran away. Creepy illustrations, too.
Claire
I thought this book was terrible. I wasn't aware until just now that Walter has a number of books. I felt this book to be very mean spirited and so unlike what I know children's books to be. Maybe it was supposed to be funny but I didn't think it was.
My kids weren't the least bit interested.
Joe
Even better than the original-- 'cause that evil clown looks like a dude that I used to see around downtown Berkeley and on Berkeley public TV (Stoney Burke, you know it's you, baby!) and who doesn't like to see an evil clown's evil schemes backfire (literally). Long live Walter.

Kira Richardson
This book is DEFINITELY not a book that you would read to a group of students, because it is about a farting dog that fills up fart balloons that are used to rob a bank. However, the pictures are very interesting and different. I could see students enjoying the story in a silly way.
John
I'm sorry... Really sorry. It's not appropriate for many readers, but I was laughing for most of the book. Kids always find gas funny and I'm looking foward to sharing these books with them tonight. Sad part - the librarian told me that someone actually tried to ban these books.
Becca Holcomb
When I first read this story I thought it was a little odd, but it is a great book to use in writer's workshop. It shows how to display thoughts within a story. It is also a good book for young students, because it is an example of how Walter was a courageous dog.
Alison
Funny story line, but illustrations were a little disturbing to me. The dog looks extremly creepy to me and I may be skeptical of reading this book to my children. The dog himself is a truthful good dog who impacts lives positivly and sends a good message to children.
Libraryscat
This book is the kinda funny the kid's parents sometimes won't like until they are alone and can giggle freely. My husband and I are buying the Spanish translation since we both speak Spanish. Can't wait to get it and read it to the grandkids.
Monaquintana
Walter is a dog who "farts" all the time and the father of Walter's owners has the chance to sell him for ten dollars. However, the person who buys Walter has illegal plans for him.

It's a good story, however, it's not one of my favorites.
  • Mommy Laid An Egg: Or, Where Do Babies Come From?
  • Woof: A Love Story
  • Santa Duck
  • Amelia Bedelia's First Day of School
  • A Dog Needs A Bone
  • If You Were My Bunny
  • Henry and Mudge Take the Big Test (Henry and Mudge, #10)
  • Help Me, Mr. Mutt!: Expert Answers for Dogs with People Problems
  • The Book that Jack Wrote
  • I Love You Because You're You
  • Skippyjon Jones and the Big Bones (Skippyjon Jones, #4)
  • The Easter Egg
William Kotzwinkle is a two-time recipient of the National Magazine Award for Fiction, a winner of the World Fantasy Award, the Prix Litteraire des Bouquinistes des Quais de Paris, the PETA Award for Children's Books, and a Book Critics Circle award nominee. His work has been translated into dozens of languages.
More about William Kotzwinkle...
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial in His Adventure on Earth Walter the Farting Dog The Bear Went Over the Mountain The Fan Man Doctor Rat