Start by marking “The Littlest Angel” as Want to Read:
The Littlest Angel

The Littlest Angel

4.28  ·  Rating Details ·  5,296 Ratings  ·  154 Reviews
This book is suitable for children aged 4 to 8 years. This is the tale of a little angel who just cannot stay out of trouble in the celestial city. When the Christ child is born, the mischievous angel learns a timeless lesson in the true spirit of giving. With over seven million copies in print, this book has become a Christmas classic.
Published September 11th 2006 by WorthyKids/ideals (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about The Littlest Angel, please sign up.

Deborah Lee Yes. A made for TV play starring Johnny Whitaker (Jodie from Family Affair). It was done in the late 60s I believe. I went to a store last year and it…moreYes. A made for TV play starring Johnny Whitaker (Jodie from Family Affair). It was done in the late 60s I believe. I went to a store last year and it was for sale as a DVD. I will be honest and say I have not watched it yet so I can't commit to the quality of it, but the actual story from the book is so beautiful. I used to read it to my children at Christmas time and I have never made it through without crying!!(less)

Jen
Dec 22, 2012 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
This is my single most favorite story for Christmastime. (I just now realized I have a 1947 copy published by Ideals Publishing Corporation.) The story is very vivid and detailed. The sentiments are so universal to anyone who, at any age, pondered why anyone would look forward to Heaven when it sounded so dull and Earth was so much more interesting. Clearly, the lesson about the gift of the Littlest Angel is also timeless.

I just read it tonight to my son and it occurs to me that this book is a c
Cindi
The story was all at once too old for young children and too young for adults. There was something about the illustrations I didn't particularly care for, but it's hard for me to put my finger on what. The part about the little boy's wooden box of treasures that he presents for the Christ child was the only part of the book that I really enjoyed.

But, to be fair, I read three stories to one of my daughters tonight (this being one of them). She chose this story as her favorite.
Cory Howell
Nov 09, 2009 Cory Howell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When I was a child, I loved this book. It's always been a favorite of my mother and grandmother. In fact, my grandmother just gave my daughter her copy of the book, which had been given to her by my late aunt. So I wanted to like this book when I read it to my daughter today. However...

The theology of this book could not be more flawed. It perpetuates the old folk theology of angels being human beings who died and went to heaven, and idea completely at odds with the Biblical picture of angels. F
Kathryn
I love this story! I was, however, not a fan of the illustrations. They just didn't seem to fit my imagination's view of the tale although others will probably feel differently. Still, this is a beautiful tale not to be missed! :-)
Patrick
Dec 11, 2011 Patrick rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In some circles, this book is regarded as a Christmas Classic. From where I sit, however, George Bailey's nemesis Mr. Potter would have been right to lump this story with the motivations for the Bailey Building and Loan as "sentimental hogwash."

Tazewell has good things to say about gift-giving, and few children are likely to be offended by an angel who seems so much like one of them, but therein lies one big problem with the book: it pushes the unfortunate and unscriptural idea that angels are o
Josiah
Apr 21, 2009 Josiah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing of Charles Tazewell is very strong, and flows in a pleasing rhythm throughout the entire book. Additionally, the illustrations of Sergio Leone fit the story perfectly and with rare beauty.
What I take from this classic story most of all is not just that one can present oneself to Jesus without shame, despite one's own imperfections and simplicity and ordinary facade, but that the sacrifices and love and hopes and dreams and feelings of the very small and young matter greatly, and s
Beth Hollmann
Dec 09, 2012 Beth Hollmann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another one of my favorite Christmas books. It makes me cry every time. This sweet little boy has passed away on earth and is now an angel, and is having a hard time doing all the things angels are supposed to do - he would much rather run and play. Finally he is allowed to go back and retrieve a box of special mementos from his home on earth. As Christ is about to leave heaven and be born on earth, the angels begin to present him with gifts, and the one that is chosen as His favorite is ...more
Heidi
Mar 05, 2010 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture, fiction
This is an adorable Christmas story about a little child angel who is always getting into trouble, but who gives what he prizes most in the world to the Christ child. He is then ebarassed to have given something that most people would find useless and offensive. But, his gift is the one that is accepted and is used to create the star to lead others to the babe in Bethlehem. So sweet.
Autumn Doughton
Jun 25, 2008 Autumn Doughton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
This is one of my favorite children's books of all time. I cry every time I read it! The illustrations are beautiful and the whole story is lovely and moving. I look forward to the day when my own daughters are old enough to appreciate this book.
Luann
I remember reading this as a child. Something about a chubby, grubby little angel who has to chase after his halo and who bites his wing-tips when he is nervous made the story very memorable for me. I didn't enjoy it quite as much rereading it as an adult, but it is a very sweet Christmas story.
Elizabeth
Beautiful and charming. I can see why it's a classic!
Diane
Dec 20, 2014 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite Christmas story since I was a tiny girl T Christmas.
Vaishali
Mar 15, 2017 Vaishali rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
I must have read this book hundreds of times when I was a child, just because it was lying around the house... and hated every moment of it :) Never understood those stupid gifts he got.
Rachel
Mar 14, 2017 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, theology
Really sweet book with pretty illustrations.
Kat
Mar 01, 2017 Kat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adorable but so predictable. In all of these stories the simple gift shows more love and devotion then the elaborate ones. This is the parable of the rich man, who gave a great deal but it was only a small percentage of his wealth while a poor woman, who gave very little but it was all she had. The woman's gift was far greater. It does remind us, particularly at the Christmas season, that it is not the amount spent or the number of gifts given but the love shown by each gift. For me a gift that ...more
Julia Brumfield
The title most definitely sounds familiar although reading the story itself wasn't as much. Anyway the story is an interesting one that has a good message but is a bit hard in its delivery to the reader, especially to some of the youngest out there.

First of all I find it hard that there would be just one littlest angel since if the concept were to go with that angels are dead people (we won't discuss that whole theological point or not) then there should be a whole slew since unfortunately a l
Brianna
'The Littlest Angel', written by Charles Tazewell and illustrated by Sergio Leone, tells of a "nuisance" of an angel who rather unpopular in the celestial city, a.k.a Heaven. This fictional children's book with its interesting (for lack of better words) illustrations teaches its young readers about the gift of giving. The illustrations do indeed match the text of the book and can capture children's attention. The story is indeed interesting and could promote discussion among students in a classr ...more
Caitlin
Nov 29, 2012 Caitlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reading-4050
This story begins at the gates of heaven. The Littlest Angel was only “four years, six months, five days, seven hours, ad forty-two minutes of age” when he reached heaven and instantly caused disruption by making the gatekeeper blotch the page in the great book. The Littlest Angel continues to disturb heaven with his behavior. Plus, he could not fly, or arrive on time, or sing, and his halo was always crooked. When the day comes for him to be disciplined he meets the Understanding Angel who soa ...more
Rosa Cline
Dec 13, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, christmas
A beautifully done Christmas story, but I wouldn't put it in the children's book section. The words are much to 'big' for children. This story was originally written in 1939 for a radio program. It would be wonderful to sit by a Christmas tree and listen to this book be read. But for a child to try and read it they would get lost in the large vocabulary that is used. I almost had to stop reading it to my special needs teen age son because of the wording that was used. But he stayed with me enoug ...more
Julia Jasztal
Mommy's review from 1/27/13 -

Two stars is generous in my opinion. We almost didn't finish it. I *think* we've read a Tazewell or two in the past that we did like and we have The Littlest Tree to try tonight. I offered Julia the idea to pass on it since we didn't like this very much but she said she'd still like to give it a shot.
This is overdone IMO. I like the story - a lot even - but it's just overdone. That's the word that comes to mind when I think of it.
Julia is just over 7 years old and s
Relyn
Dec 30, 2012 Relyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nostalgic readers
I read this book for the first time when I was pretty young. I'm guessing seven or eight, but I'm not sure. This book really captured my imagination. As far as I can remember, it's the first time I realized that a book could make you sad and somehow, you loved it anyway. More mysterious, that same book with its sadness could make you happy. It was a mystery to me.

I lost track of this book and began searching for it in my mid-twenties as I began to collect old favorites to read to my own someday
Jill
Dec 15, 2015 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
White
Aug 26, 2009 White rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a real eye opener about priorities, meanings, and memories. The endearing little cherub, after dying and going to heaven, comes upon some learning experiences that even adults could benefit from. As a matter of fact, I consider this book an adult book because it is not the children who have to learn what's inside of it. It is the adults who have lost touch of life's moments and gifts.

I believe that the author knows this, which is why the vocabulary he uses is difficult and advanced;
Whitney
Dec 25, 2016 Whitney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very lovely book. However it was missing one VERY BIG IMPORTANT DETAIL:

SPOILER ALERT!!!
I know this is a book for children. Nevertheless, I think it's important that the author should mention that the little angel gave the thing he loved most to Jesus - his most prized and beloved possession. The other angels made these incredible, beautiful gifts while the littlest angel gave of himself humbly. I mean, come on, the little angel's gift was the best because "they were the things of man
Ashley
My father used to read me this story and it always reminds me of him. It was a bit difficult to share with Alice because much of the vocabulary is too advanced and loses her attention. I love this story about a 4-year-old angel who just can't behave and is frequently bored by heaven, until he is allowed to retrieve a small box from under his bed on Earth that contains the fragments of all the things he most loved during his short life. A very sweet Christmas story.
Gail
Sep 21, 2014 Gail rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was little I loved this book. Or I thought I did. I think that I really loved Fred Gywnne who played Patience, the Guardian Angel in the 1969 TV movie and is better known as Herman Munster. I think the copy I had as child had a different illustrator but I could be wrong. The story is simple. I still like the ending where the ordinary yet heart-felt gift is the best of all gifts to give and receive.
Jill Stevenson
Nov 09, 2014 Jill Stevenson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite Christmas book. I loved it so as a child, relating, of course to the young child in the story. As an adult, it saddens me to think of the child, in heaven, at Christmas. As a mother, it breaks my heart every time. My copy is signed to me, from my parents, Christmas, 1960. It needs to be rebound and, every year I say I am going to do it but I never remember. Maybe now, I will. Every child should read this and, every adult, too.
Andrew Lovell
Dec 04, 2014 Andrew Lovell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great short story for adults and more mature readers. The reading level is 6.1 and it contains a very challenging vocabulary. The illustrations are beautiful and really capture the emotions of the Littlest Angel. The story is wonderful and mythical and it is a Christmas story that centers itself around the true meaning of Christmas. Unique, beautiful, skillfully crafted story and text, vibrant illustrations. 5 stars.
Sally
Jul 01, 2008 Sally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
I think it is safe to say that this was my mom's favorite Christmas story. She would read it aloud to us every year at Christmas time. When Peter (her first grandson) was five years old, he was selected to play the role of the littlest angel in a church Christmas production. He was so cute (I even have the blackmail video to prove it)! This story will always have a special place in my heart with memories of my mom and my freckle-faced, redhead son.
Mrs. Eriksson's S...: The Littlest Angel 1 2 Aug 01, 2014 04:16PM
  • Humphreys First Christmas
  • Auntie Claus
  • The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey
  • The Christmas Candle
Charles Tazewell was the author of books for children, many of them with a Christmas theme. He was born in Des Moines, Iowa, and he lived in Chesterfield, New Hampshire.
More about Charles Tazewell...