Start by marking “Alongside Night” as Want to Read:
Alongside Night

Alongside Night

"A cautionary tale with a disturbing resemblance to past history and future possibilities" (Milton Friedman, Nobel Laureate), "Alongside Night" portrays the last two weeks of the world's greatest superpower and ends on a triumphant note of hope.
Published June 1st 1999 by Pulpless.Com (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Alongside Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alongside Night

Greg
Feb 19, 2009 Greg rated it really liked it
Libertarian-based adventure novel following the adventures of a teenage boy who quickly comes to manhood in a dystopian future America. Of it, Milton Friedman, a Nobel Laureate in Economics, said "An absorbing novel -- science fiction, yet also a cautionary tale with a disturbing resemblance to past history and future possibilities." An edge-of-the-seat futurist adventure yarn, with just enough realism to it to raise the specter of threatening potentialities in our own future.
Manny
Feb 04, 2013 Manny rated it liked it
This book was recommended to me years ago when I left the Republican Party. I had other books in the hopper and never got around to it. The other day, I installed the Kindle app on my Galaxy S3 and downloaded the book and started reading. I was amazed. It seemed as though I was reading a newspaper article.

Granted, this IS a novel. I have read many reviews from other readers and they slam it because of ideology by the author; this is a novel folks. I believe they are missing the novel aspect of t
Hank
Jun 24, 2008 Hank rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one.
Shelves: crap, dystopian
Moe  Shinola
Jun 08, 2012 Moe Shinola rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! it will make an agorist out of you. Far from being a screed, though, it's also a first-class adventure thriller.
Apio
Feb 25, 2012 Apio rated it did not like it
Ideologues should not write novels, at least not without talking a few lessons in fluid language, development of characters, and the like. The basic story line behind this book isn't bad. A kind of action/adventure novel culminating in a revolution. But Schulman is less interested in developing the story, or creating sympathetic characters than in pushing his agorist party line. And before agorists who read this get all up in arms, yes, I know there is no agorist party. I know most agorists eith ...more
D.M. Dutcher
This review was of the kindle version. Don't bother with it, it's horribly formatted to the point of being unreadable, with font size changing, indents on every line in some passages, and has no table of contents.

The story? Man's family is kidnapped in a future world where inflation is high, currency is worthless, and gold is illegal. Theoretically this is a dystopia but darned if I know why: the book really doesn't go into much detail except for a couple of gang scenes. The main character seem
Furb
May 23, 2009 Furb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens to grown-ups
Although it has been portrayed as dystopian, "Alongside Night" does not imagine the future as bleak and hopeless, as "1984" and "A Brave New World" have done. Strong, yet inexperienced protagonist Elliot Vreeland, and his calculating but principled lover Lorimer, find themselves teamed up with the Revolutionary Agorist Cadre while the United States government is in it's death throes.

During this tumultuous time, Elliot's main concern is for his family, who have been abducted by agents of the gove
Daniel
May 23, 2011 Daniel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I've been putting off this review, because I couldn't quite think of how to describe my feelings about it. I'm totally down with the content and the message. I thought the revolutionaries and his vision of how they might operate were interesting.

I just couldn't shake the feeling while going through the book that it was a contrived parable dressed up as a novel. If I had the impression it was intended to appear contrived, it would have bothered me less, but I didn't get that feeling from it at al
Ross
Nov 03, 2011 Ross rated it liked it
Neil Schulman, in this novel, helped lay out the Agorist philosophy, which is a peaceful, non-political strategy of using underground voluntary cooperation and exchange (real freed markets) to work towards a stateless society.

I had fun reading Alongside Night. I am inspired by his overall vision of an underground Agora. If a counter-economy becomes that advanced before the inherent unsustainability of our current world economic system truly starts to manifest its destructive fruits, it would be
James Welfare
As a novel this would class as 'barely adequate'. The plot is dry and not well realised, the characters are rather wooden and the dialogue seems unrealistic and stilted. If you are looking for quality literature; this isn't it.

On the other hand it is a good essay on how societal collapse without mass violence might look and what alternatives an Agorist model might provide. I was reading it for the latter and got it.

As long as you go into reading Alongside Night with this. realistic, expectation
Andrew
Jan 10, 2013 Andrew rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading an updated 30th Anniversary edition of "Alongside Night", a libertarian portrayed society that rises out of a failing American monetary system/government. The over all principles in application in this story were amazing and will compel me to recommend this book to all who have a curiosity in Libertarianism. This book version that I read had a few typo's which I found weird. The storyline itself also seemed to go really fast and get to the point and move on. Some parts of ...more
Anthony Papillion
Dec 26, 2011 Anthony Papillion rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. While it was written in the 1970's, it could have easily been written yesterday. It's almost like Schulman is a prophet looking through the veil of time to see our current financial and political environment.

This book combines action, politics, economics, and other topics into one of the most exciting rides you will ever have. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who's into dystopian fiction!
Ashley
Nov 09, 2012 Ashley rated it liked it
This story would have been a great read had it been written with a little more consideration to character development and human emotion. At many points I felt the book was rushing through the plot line. I had a hard time ever really caring about any of the characters. I never really emotionally connected with any of them because they were so poorly written. 3.5 stars for an interesting concept but I just can't give it more than that.
Tyler Recker
Nov 16, 2013 Tyler Recker rated it it was amazing
I read the kindle version. yes, there are some formatting concerns. Yes, some spelling errors. But I expected that from a small publisher.

I enjoyed the book. I found the story compelling and well-written. I disagree with others who say "this is why ideologue's shouldn't write fiction", etc. I read the book in a hair over 24 hours. Wouldn't have done that with a poorly-written book.

The scary thing is that this book could yet prove prophetic...

Josh
Dec 18, 2008 Josh rated it it was ok
Ok, so I can see how Ursula LeGuin is better than I thought, compared to this book. This book is action-based and future-dystopia based. And shows what can happen to money systems and the responding counter-economic agorism. Fine. I strongly agree with the general sentiments in the book, and mildly agree with the radical parts. But not a good novel.
Scott
Dec 29, 2009 Scott rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent and prescient in some ways, but The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress is a book in a similar vein that I liked better.
Kenneth LeFebvre
This is one of the most plausible "End Of The World As We Know It" stories that I've ever read.

Despite having been written thirty years ago, apart from a very few technological references, this story could have been written today!
Alexx
Aug 13, 2013 Alexx rated it it was amazing
Great novel! I liked how the story made it easier for me to visualize how an agorist alliance would rise to success and ultimately challenge the government. The story takes you on a adventurous journey, and never fails to excite and keep you engaged.
Bob
Mar 31, 2011 Bob rated it really liked it
An excellent novel about the last two weeks of the US government. It was written a long time ago (1970's), but is eerily predictive of the situation we are finding ourselves in today.
David Robins
Apr 17, 2010 David Robins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Agorism and counter-economics in an inflationary state bordering on totalitarianism, its fall, and armed yet peaceful anarchist revolution.
Marnee
Feb 07, 2013 Marnee rated it really liked it
A fun read, the story is very adventurous. Includes a great description of a black market society of anarcho-capitalists.
Scott
Jun 23, 2013 Scott rated it really liked it
Bare-bones, but good. Written in 1979, but some of the references have been updated in later editions. Quick read.
Amanda
Feb 02, 2011 Amanda rated it it was ok
Really disappointing after reading the Rainbow cadenza. This one has poor world-building, cardboard characters, and a ridiculous plot. Plus, I'm a fan of taxes.
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2012
Kyle Heuer
Kyle Heuer rated it it was ok
Jul 30, 2015
Gina
Gina rated it it was ok
Oct 12, 2013
K. Aten
K. Aten rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2016
Tajvia Willis
Tajvia Willis rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2015
Powerispower
Powerispower rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2012
Henry Stoltzfus
Henry Stoltzfus rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
New editions and versions of Alongside Night 1 2 Oct 27, 2013 04:37PM
  • The Market for Liberty
  • The Probability Broach (North American Confederacy #1)
  • Hamilton's Curse: How Jefferson's Arch Enemy Betrayed the American Revolution--and What It Means for Americans Today
  • The Ethics of Liberty
  • A Foreign Policy of Freedom: Peace, Commerce, and Honest Friendship
  • Art of the Rifle
  • The Great Heresies
  • Convergence of Catastrophes
  • Theodore and Woodrow: How Two American Presidents Destroyed Constitutional Freedom
  • The God of the Machine
  • Riders of the Purple Wage
  • Building Powerful Community Organizations: A Personal Guide to Creating Groups that Can Solve Problems and Change the World
  • Making the Best of Basics: Family Preparedness Handbook
  • Radicals for Capitalism: A Freewheeling History of the Modern American Libertarian Movement

“We’re told we have a government by popular consent. At least in one sense that’s true. Every government always exercises the maximum amount of power its rulers feel the people will stand for without revolting. If this government—or an element within it—is drastically increasing its use of power, then the leaders either feel they have the popular support—or apathy—to get away with it, or they’re taking desperate chances because they’re being pressed to the wall.” 1 likes