Start by marking “Dark Harbor (Stone Barrington, #12)” as Want to Read:
Dark Harbor (Stone Barrington, #12)

Dark Harbor (Stone Barrington #12)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  5,756 Ratings  ·  252 Reviews
Audio CD, Abridged, 1 page
Published April 11th 2006 by Penguin Audio (first published April 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Harbor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Harbor

Lori
Jul 19, 2007 Lori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007july
I'm almost -- but not quite -- embarrassed to admit I read Stuart Woods. If I could believe they were written with tongue as firmly in cheek as when I read them, I'd be OK with it. But I think the portions that make me laugh out loud were written with a straight face.

Alas, Stone Barrington isn't exactly a guilty pleasure. Just a silly one. (His name should tell you just about all you need to know about him. That and the fact that he sleeps with every woman he makes eye contact with.)

I often read
JBradford
My brother turned me onto Stuart Woods, although I had red one of his books before, and I generally grab every book of his I happen to find. His novels are an easy read with interesting characters, even if they do not have much depth to them, and I am intrigued by Woods’ ability to have pages of dialogue without the inane “he said,” “she said” accouterments, with the reader never being at a loss for who was saying what to whom. I cannot do this myself, so I have necessary respect for someone who ...more
Buscenter
Feb 11, 2008 Buscenter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book because of the cover. It was the first book that I read of his and it was great. I share my books with my mother and we have since read all of Stone Barrington novels.

Highly recommended
Michelle (meshe)
Synopsis: Stone Barrington investigates the secrets of a CIA officer's suicide in this next thriller in the bestselling series Stuart Woods's newest bestseller, Dark Harbor, brings us the perfect mix of sexy intrigue and swift suspense that have earned him legions of fans over the years. In this latest thriller, Stone enters the picturesque town Dark Harbor off the coast of Maine, where the shocking deaths of three people have cast a long shadow over this island haven-a locale as mysterious as i ...more
Scott
Jun 11, 2011 Scott rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is my second Stone Barrington novel by Stuart Woods. The plot was plain, generic, and formulaic. It reminded me a lot of TV detective shows. For those of you who are old enough, think of an episode of The Rockford Files. If you did not watch that, think of Magnum PI or Hunter. If that is too far back, think of Law and Order. If perhaps you haven't watched any of those shows, turn on the TV and watch an episode of Law and Order - it is on 24 hours a day on several cable channels.

For those of
Steve
Nov 13, 2011 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4-6-2016 Still a favorite of mine!
12-30-2014 read it again in 18 hours while fighting pneumonia. still a favorite
by the way, OY is backwards for YO. just saying......
2-2014 just realized i read it 6 months ago. didn't remember that... either OY or too bad for me. It remains a 5 star for me. Love this story.
6-28-2013 Did re-read of the book. It remains a good read, even the second (or third time).I am also a sucker for marine venues.
11-1-11
I give this a 5 star simply because i enjoyed reading it.
Amy
Oct 21, 2012 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found some Stuart Woods novels at my parent's house when I had nothing to read, and thought "hey, why not?". Thus began my strange addiction to Stone Barrington novels. I want to say that Stuart Woods novels are terrible, because in a way, they are, and yet I keep coming back to them, and thoroughly enjoy every page of them. So, I guess I'm going to have to say that Stuart Woods novels are pretty great. Not deep. Not exceptionally well written. But damn entertaining.
L
Jul 21, 2008 L rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-on-tape-cd
Slim pickings on the audio book shelves at the public library. We made it less than halfway through this one. No urge whatsoever to cheat & listen to the last few minutes. I don't give a crap who killed Dick Stone.
Donna
Aug 16, 2016 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Stone Barrington's first cousin Dick Stone committed murder/suicide with his wife and daughter. At least, the scene is posed to appear that way but Stone learns his cousin is really a CIA operative who recently changed his will and left Stone the executor. He also left Stone his house in Maine so Stone journeys there with best friend Dino and begins asking questions. When local women turn up missing and then dead, Stone must figure out the connection, if any, to his cousin's death.

I f
Paul
Dec 08, 2008 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I took time to refresh my palate with this mystery. I'd seen this author's name, Stuart Woods, and a month or so ago I was in an out of town bookstore, waiting for my wife, and picked up a novel of his off the New Arrivals shelf. I had time to read a couple of chapters, and enjoyed it, so found an earlier book of his -- this book, Dark Harbor -- in the Bloomington library, in an audiobook.

I enjoyed it enough to read another book by Woods in the future, but not enough to send emails announcing t
Mandy
Sep 24, 2012 Mandy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Stuart Woods book I had ever read, and I found it hugely disappointing. The characters were stiff, the dialogue was unnecessarily repetative, the plot improbable, and it was clear from close to the beginning whodunit.

That said, it was the author's 31st book, and my parents have owned several of his books (and I respect their opinions -- they wouldn't own so many if he was a dud, right?), and any author can have a bad day. So I went ahead and read one of his other books -- stil
Emma
Aug 05, 2016 Emma rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely nothing redeeming or thoughtful about this book. The characters are one-dimensional and lack emotion. The plot is boring and predictable. The writing is repetitive and dull. The only good thing about it was listening to the audio aloud with a friend and laughing at the ridiculousness of it.
Barbara Loggia
Jun 07, 2014 Barbara Loggia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like this author so liked this mystery of one of his repeat detectives who must find the killer of his own cousin's family. He gets the house, the servants and a good mystery to solve. Even when I knew who done it, the book was a fun read to the end.
Natka
Aug 27, 2008 Natka rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book very difficult to enjoy. It was poorly written, characters undeveloped and unattractive. It had a potential of becoming an interesting and exciting novel, but appeared to have been written by an author, who stopped enjoying writing.
Emily Mack
Exactly as bad as I hoped it would be.
Andrea
Jan 07, 2014 Andrea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't think this was one of Stuart's better books.
Beverley Lombardi
good story but too much sex. I listened to.audio book and the reader is great.
Mom
Jan 04, 2017 Mom rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Predictable crime story containing the suspects on a Maine island, unredeemed bad guys, boring saintly good guys, saintly except for gratuitous steamy, unpleasantly graphic sex scenes. Who would know rich people are so dull?
Cathi
Feb 14, 2017 Cathi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is better than most Stone Barringtons. I almost gave it 3 stars because Arrington is in it for no reason whatsoever.
Sharon
Jan 20, 2017 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
They are all about the same. Like but don't love them.
Lesly
Kara Jorges
Detective Stone Barrington is called to the tiny island of Islesboro off the coast of Maine when Dick Stone, a cousin he hasn’t seen since his youth, is found dead in his home, along with his wife and daughter, who were also murdered. At first, the police think it’s a murder-suicide, but Stone’s investigation proves otherwise. Someone broke into Dick Stone’s island home and murdered him and his family, but why? Stone moves into the Islesboro house his cousin left him in the will and proceeds to ...more
Genie
Aug 10, 2008 Genie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stone Barrington hasn't heard from his cousin, Dick Stone, in over eight years. One summer evening as he is enjoying dinner at Elaine's, his good friend Lance Cabot breaks some very bad news to him. Seems Dick Stone has been found dead and local law enforcement believes it was self inflicted after he shot and killed his wife and daughter. Stone finds this difficult to believe of his cousin who was a quiet family man who doubled as a CIA agent. Even stranger is the news that his cousin had made ...more
Oliver Schnusenberg
Another fast read by Stuart Woods for me. One thing I really like about his books is that all the acteurs get things done fast, alost as if living in a utopian world where everyone does their job correctly. It is very unusual in any of Woods' books to find someone like the Nantucket cop in this novel who actually makes mistakes. It would be nice if we all lived in a world like this!

I don't want to give too much away, but please stop reading if you haven't read the book yet. In this specific book
Karen
Aug 01, 2014 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My dad enjoys action/adventure/mystery & has read some of Stuart Woods so I picked the audio up at the library. This is the first one of I have read/listened to. Although it is the 12th in a series of Stone Barrington novels it didn't seem to matter. I was excited that it takes place in Islesboro, Maine but was disappointed it could have taken place on any island on the East Coast. Stone's cousin, Dick, a CIA officer, his wife & daughter are found dead. Stone finds he is the executor of ...more
Lori Robinett
I generally like Stone Barrington books, but this one fell flat for me. It just didn't grab me, didn't feel like the fun escape his books usually are. I think it was the setting - I wanted to be in New York where we could eat at Elaine's and deal with Dino's in-laws. Holly Barker, who I used to like, made me want to gag. She was a useless booty call. To be completely honest, though, part of the Holly problem was the narrator. Men rarely do women voices well. The CIA angle wasn't exploited - that ...more
Mike Tueros
The 12th in the Stone Barrington series, and even more ridiculous than the last installment. Honestly, these are just barely a measure above James Patterson, with simple plot lines, short chapters, and characters with little to zero development. In Dark Harbor, Stone is is summoned to investigate the death of a family member, with the aid of super-friend Dino, government agent Lance, ex-Florida super-cop, Holly and the usual cast of characters (even old flame Arrington shows up for the systemic ...more
Ed
Jul 21, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal, adventure, action
#12 in the Stone Barrington series. Stone Barrington is a NYC lawyer acting as a troubleshooter for a white shoe firm. An ex-NY cop, wounded and retired, his partner was Dino Bachetti. Holly Barker is a retired Army Major who took over the job as police chief in Orchid Beach, FL after the death of her father and eventually had successively responsible jobs in the CIA.

Stone Barrington receives his CIA agent cousin's will and the following day learns his cousin and family have been murdered. Stone
John
Joe White
Aug 23, 2010 Joe White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Stone Barrington book. You have to be wealthy to relate to the lifestyle and circle of influence he runs in. I think that this is the biggest departure from reality that this series of books has. The character closed circle set on Islesboro got somewhat tedious. Somehow I don't think most communities are loaded with millionaires and ex-CIA types. The intrigue level did increase tempo to the very end, and there were no super-hero actions to save the day, so the action plot is in line with ...more
  • Death Stalks Door County (Dave Cubiak, #1)
  • Dead Wrong (Joanna Brady, #12)
  • Bantam of the Opera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #5)
  • Fugitive (Amanda Jaffe, #4)
  • Dead Watch
  • Unfit to Practice (Nina Reilly #8)
  • Winter at the Door (Lizzie Snow, #1)
  • Winter And Night (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #8)
  • Now & Then (Spenser, #35)
  • Death Rides Again (Jocelyn Shore #3)
  • Guardian of Lies (Paul Madriani, #10)
  • Dust to Dust (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #7)
  • Ghost Medicine (Ella Clah, #17)
  • Bittersweet (China Bayles, #23)
  • McNally's Dare (Archy McNally, #12)
  • Devil's Corner
  • Heat of the Moment (Sisters of the Craft, #2)
  • Warning Signs (Alan Gregory, #10)
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods...

Stone Barrington (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1)
  • Dirt (Stone Barrington, #2)
  • Dead in the Water (Stone Barrington, #3)
  • Swimming to Catalina (Stone Barrington, #4)
  • Worst Fears Realized (Stone Barrington, #5)
  • L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6)
  • Cold Paradise (Stone Barrington, #7)
  • The Short Forever (Stone Barrington, #8)
  • Dirty Work (Stone Barrington, #9)
  • Reckless Abandon (Stone Barrington, #10 Holly Barker #4)