Start by marking “Master Cornhill” as Want to Read:
Master Cornhill

Master Cornhill

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  566 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Victim of both the Great Plague and the Great Fire of London, a homeless, penniless youth must decide what direction his life should take.
Published May 5th 1987 by Puffin (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Master Cornhill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Master Cornhill

Catherine, Called Birdy by Karen CushmanThe Midwife's Apprentice by Karen CushmanMary, Bloody Mary by Carolyn MeyerThe Eagle Of The Ninth by Rosemary SutcliffAnna of Byzantium by Tracy Barrett
YA Historical Novels
64th out of 100 books — 123 voters
The Westing Game by Ellen RaskinA Single Shard by Linda Sue ParkThe Eagle Of The Ninth by Rosemary SutcliffThe Golden Goblet by Eloise Jarvis McGrawThe Second Mrs. Gioconda by E.L. Konigsburg
6th Grade Read Alouds
10th out of 14 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Chloe
I loved this book. It tells in detail about medieval London and the fires that often ravaged through, also about the plague and a bit about a rather undiscovered trade: map colouring. Also, it has a nice, satisfying ending where everyone can be content.
Dorcas
Love love love this book. There's a lot of excitement, the characters are well drawn and the feel is authentic. Quite a few scenes centered on the old London bridge. Great read.
Melody
Started at a slow pace, but was ultimately an engaging portrait of London in the midst of the Black Death and Great Fire of 1666.
Meredith
Although this book was a little slow going at first, I got more drawn into it near the end. A lot of great historical fiction is from this time era, and a lot of great historical fiction is by this author! Worth the slow beggining.
Jenna Leigh
Loved, loved, loved historical fiction when I was younger. This is one of the books that I read and reread several times. Eloise Jarvis McGraw wrote great books for young adults, and a couple of my favourite novels as a kid were written by her. This was one of the books that inspired my fascination for English history, and although it's set in the later 1600s, it inspired an interest in the Elizabethan era and the culture of that time period. Highly recommended!
Linette Wallbank
I really enjoyed this book. What was truly special was how Mrs McGraw helped you see London. Having been there I felt like I coud see St Paul's on Ludgate Hill. It also gave me a better perception of the growth outwards of the city.
Tammy Bertelsen
This is what I'm reading to my kids right now. It takes place directly before and during the Great Fire of London in 1665. It is an interesting way to learn about life in England in days gone by.
Abigail Rasmussen
I read this book when I was 11 years old. It's a good book to read when learning/studying about the time period of the Black Plague.
Karen
This book was about a boy returning to London after the plague to only watch it be destroyed by fire. Good historical fiction.
Dawn Roberts
One of our favorite authors! Great characters and an interesting depiction of life in London before the great fire.
Jackie
I had to read this for school and it's the sole reason I know and care about the London fire in 1666. It's excellent.
Charity U
Fun story for pre-teens! Centers are the Great Fire of London (is that what it's called?).
Kyrie
I learned so much about the plague, orphans, the Great London Fire and really enjoyed this story.
Michaela
really good. its about a little boy during the great plague in london around the 1800's.
Dave
The most recent book I am reading to Clara. I don't remember reading this one before.
Michelle
WOnderful historical fiction. This is one of my favorite authors for young people.
Emily
Loved this story!! Am going to be reading it to my little sister ASAP :)
Tammy
Riveting read. I enjoyed the characters a lot. Great way to learn history!
Skye
Exciting, interesting. I learned about history I didn't know.
Hannah
Dec 01, 2009 Hannah added it
Imagen being called Cornhill....wow...sad
Starry
Aug 15, 2013 Starry marked it as to-read
(not available through library)
Tessa
I love Eloise Jarvis McGraw!
Lady Nefertankh
Lady Nefertankh marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Sabine
Sabine marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Lara Lleverino
Lara Lleverino marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
  • The Great and Terrible Quest
  • Mystery of the Roman Ransom
  • The Samurai's Tale
  • The Ides of April (Roman Empire Sequence, #2)
  • The Beduins' Gazelle
  • Luther: Biography of a Reformer
  • Theras and His Town
  • The Master Puppeteer
  • The Land I Lost: Adventures of a Boy in Vietnam
  • It's a Jungle Out There (The Rani Adventures, #1)
Eloise Jarvis McGraw was an author of children's books. She was awarded the Newbery Honor three times in three different decades, for her novels Moccasin Trail (1952), The Golden Goblet (1962), and The Moorchild (1997). A Really Weird Summer (1977) won an Edgar Award for Best Juvenile Mystery from the Mystery Writers of America. McGraw had a very strong interest in history, and among the many book ...more
More about Eloise Jarvis McGraw...
Mara, Daughter of the Nile The Moorchild The Golden Goblet Moccasin Trail The Seventeenth Swap