Start by marking “Master Cornhill” as Want to Read:
Master Cornhill

Master Cornhill

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  764 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Victim of both the Great Plague and the Great Fire of London, a homeless, penniless eleven-year-old must decide what direction his life should take.
Published May 5th 1987 by Puffin (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Master Cornhill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Master Cornhill

The Westing Game by Ellen RaskinA Single Shard by Linda Sue ParkThe Golden Goblet by Eloise Jarvis McGrawThe Second Mrs. Gioconda by E.L. KonigsburgThe Shakespeare Stealer by Gary L. Blackwood
6th Grade Read Alouds
12th out of 14 books — 18 voters
Mara, Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGrawThe Westing Game by Ellen RaskinIsland of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'DellThe Golden Goblet by Eloise Jarvis McGrawBetsy and the Emperor by Staton Rabin
Books For The Sonlight History Programs
25th out of 71 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Caitlin
Feb 07, 2016 Caitlin rated it it was amazing
Normally, I would not have bought, on impulse, a book with the boring title of "Master Cornhill." However, Eloise Jarvis McGraw just so happens to be a favorite author of mine. I am so glad that I "didn't judge a book by it's cover" and gave this novel a chance. Master Cornhill was beautifully written, with wonderful descriptions that made you feel as if you had really visited London, realistic characters that could have jumped off the page, and a great story. The novel dragged a bit in the begi ...more
Jenna Leigh
Jun 02, 2013 Jenna Leigh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved, loved, loved historical fiction when I was younger. This is one of the books that I read and reread several times. Eloise Jarvis McGraw wrote great books for young adults, and a couple of my favourite novels as a kid were written by her. This was one of the books that inspired my fascination for English history, and although it's set in the later 1600s, it inspired an interest in the Elizabethan era and the culture of that time period. Highly recommended!
Kristine Hansen
Mar 10, 2015 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it
Whew! I read and read wondering when the fire would start, and found myself pulled into the story regardless. I found myself really caring what would happen to each of the characters and worrying, knowing the disaster looming. The author has a really amazing ability to make you feel like you're right there, and so the cluttered, dirty city became very real, and I sorrowed when at last the first flames ignited. Wonderful book!
Julia
Dec 12, 2015 Julia rated it really liked it
I've just finished reading this to my 10-year-old daughter - it must have taken us two months as it's rather long and detailed. But we both enjoyed it so much. The sense of foreboding gathers pace, and by the time the Great Fire breaks out, you are living the drama with the characters. We both cared immensely about their wellbeing. My daughter commented "I love Master Haas. He's so philosophical!". At the end of the book she asked if she could have a book all about the Great Fire of London, beca ...more
Chloe
Jun 18, 2014 Chloe rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It tells in detail about medieval London and the fires that often ravaged through, also about the plague and a bit about a rather undiscovered trade: map colouring. Also, it has a nice, satisfying ending where everyone can be content.
Todd Luallen
Jun 05, 2015 Todd Luallen rated it really liked it
The book was excellent in that I think it gave a great sense of actually being in London during the time. I think the author went to great lengths to make sure to describe accurately the buildings and places that were in London at the time . However the rather verbose descriptions of where things were tended to lose my interest quickly. In addition, the print version of the book had really small type and the spacing was also quite tight. It made for a difficult read.
Bob Collins
Dec 08, 2014 Bob Collins rated it it was amazing
A coming of age story set in 1666 immediately after the plague and before and during the great London fire. Compelling characters and well established historical settings. Recommended.
Dorcas
May 14, 2014 Dorcas rated it it was amazing
Love love love this book. There's a lot of excitement, the characters are well drawn and the feel is authentic. Quite a few scenes centered on the old London bridge. Great read.
Melody
Oct 17, 2014 Melody rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Started at a slow pace, but was ultimately an engaging portrait of London in the midst of the Black Death and Great Fire of 1666.
Emily-Jane Tams
Mar 31, 2015 Emily-Jane Tams rated it it was amazing
Read this as a child, loved all the history.
Linette
Oct 15, 2014 Linette rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I really enjoyed this book. What was truly special was how Mrs McGraw helped you see London. Having been there I felt like I coud see St Paul's on Ludgate Hill. It also gave me a better perception of the growth outwards of the city.
Tammy Bertelsen
Sep 15, 2008 Tammy Bertelsen rated it liked it
This is what I'm reading to my kids right now. It takes place directly before and during the Great Fire of London in 1665. It is an interesting way to learn about life in England in days gone by.
Abigail Rasmussen
Jul 30, 2011 Abigail Rasmussen rated it really liked it
Shelves: age-10-and-up
I read this book when I was 11 years old. It's a good book to read when learning/studying about the time period of the Black Plague.
Karen
Mar 15, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
This book was about a boy returning to London after the plague to only watch it be destroyed by fire. Good historical fiction.
Dawn Roberts
Dec 04, 2012 Dawn Roberts rated it it was amazing
One of our favorite authors! Great characters and an interesting depiction of life in London before the great fire.
Jackie
Mar 19, 2012 Jackie rated it it was amazing
I had to read this for school and it's the sole reason I know and care about the London fire in 1666. It's excellent.
Charity U
Sep 23, 2011 Charity U rated it really liked it
Fun story for pre-teens! Centers are the Great Fire of London (is that what it's called?).
Kyrie
I learned so much about the plague, orphans, the Great London Fire and really enjoyed this story.
Michaela
really good. its about a little boy during the great plague in london around the 1800's.
Dave
Feb 07, 2009 Dave rated it it was ok
The most recent book I am reading to Clara. I don't remember reading this one before.
Michelle
May 20, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
WOnderful historical fiction. This is one of my favorite authors for young people.
Emily
Mar 13, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it
Loved this story!! Am going to be reading it to my little sister ASAP :)
Tammy
Apr 25, 2013 Tammy rated it really liked it
Riveting read. I enjoyed the characters a lot. Great way to learn history!
Hana
Mar 24, 2015 Hana marked it as to-read
London after the Great Fire during the reign of Charles II mid 1600s
Skye
Feb 08, 2011 Skye rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschool
Exciting, interesting. I learned about history I didn't know.
Hannah
Dec 01, 2009 Hannah added it
Imagen being called Cornhill....wow...sad
Starry
Aug 15, 2013 Starry marked it as to-read
(not available through library)
Meredith
Mar 28, 2016 Meredith rated it liked it
Worth the slow beggining.
Tessa
May 24, 2012 Tessa rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
I love Eloise Jarvis McGraw!
  • The Great and Terrible Quest
  • The Ides of April (Roman Empire Sequence, #2)
  • The Beduins' Gazelle
  • The Samurai's Tale
  • Theras and His Town
  • Leonardo da Vinci
  • The Trojan War
  • It's a Jungle Out There (The Rani Adventures, #1)
  • Otto of the Silver Hand
  • The Master Puppeteer
  • The Apprentice
  • Tales of a Korean Grandmother: 32 Traditional Tales from Korea
Eloise Jarvis McGraw was an author of children's books. She was awarded the Newbery Honor three times in three different decades, for her novels Moccasin Trail (1952), The Golden Goblet (1962), and The Moorchild (1997). A Really Weird Summer (1977) won an Edgar Award for Best Juvenile Mystery from the Mystery Writers of America. McGraw had a very strong interest in history, and among the many book ...more
More about Eloise Jarvis McGraw...