Start by marking “Now It's Time To Say Goodbye” as Want to Read:
Now It's Time To Say Goodbye

Now It's Time To Say Goodbye

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  15 reviews
On the run from the AIDS epidemic -- and in search of their own lost love -- Colin Nieman and Justin Time abandon New York City for the tiny Kansas village of Galatea. Racially polarized and desperately poor, the town is dominated by Rosemary Krebs. a white matriarch determined to resurrect her lost Southern childhood, and Abraham Greeving, the black preacher who will do a ...more
Published 1999 by Vintage (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Now It's Time To Say Goodbye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Now It's Time To Say Goodbye

Kris
I read this some years ago. I'd thought Martin and John fairly interesting. This novel wasn't.*. And around this time Peck began writing savage reviews--later collected as Hatchet Jobs--in a manner that seemed to me kind of dully vicious. (I actually enjoy viciousness. And niceness. As long as they're incisive, or challenging, or well-written. I would read a book called "Scalpel Work.". Hatchets aren't known for their precision. Neither is Peck.). Dull is a good qualifier for this novel, too.

Thi
Timothy Juhl
May 27, 2008 Timothy Juhl rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those looking for something more than a fomulaic mystery.
Shelves: gay-author
I still contend that Dale Peck is the best writer working in this century, although he's taken a turn from his fiction and writes primarily essays and reviews for a number of magazines.

This was probably his most universally appealing novel that no one has read, the stories and slow reveals as divulged by various townspeople surrounding the rape of a young woman. Like peeling an avocado, each chapter lays bare the secrets and frailities of the town, its sister city on the other side of the tracks
DJ TweakyClean
I don't think there are enough words for me to describe how much I loved this book as I was reading it, and how much I still love it almost ten years later. The tragedy is that currently it is out of print. The book is Gothic, epic, disturbing, erotic, poetic, allegorical and probably one of the best pieces of modern fiction. This definitely isn't a book for the masses, but then again neither is Moby Dick. Not to say that it's on par, but I think it has a grandeur and raw intimacy to it that bot ...more
Julie
Dale Peck is clearly a talented writer and storyteller. As an aspiring writer myself, I can certainly appreciate the deft with which this novel painted a strikingly vivid portrait of two remote, racially divided, fictional Kansas towns, through the alternating first-person accounts of their various inhabitants. And yet, I can't say I enjoyed reading this book.

To say "Now It's Time to Say Goodbye" was an "upsetting story" is an understatement. The two towns where the story takes place both seem t
Hey-You
For many years after I read this book I thought I had made it up. I couldn't remember the title or the author or even what it looked like. Now that I've found it again I see if everywhere I go.

It is exactly what it's billed as, a dark gay southern Gothic. There's a mystery at the heart of it and I remember a deception of the reader in regards to the two main characters, but not a lot else. The book itself is written very lushly, with great attention to detail and characters. I found myself less
Lee Zebe
Creepy and sexy.
Chris Stanley
Although there were elements of this book I really didn't like, there was so much, much more that I loved. Wonderful characterisation, raw emotion, unusual storytelling and different perspectives.
There were some questions left unanswered at the end, but also some that had initially seemed important, but became irrelevent. I think that this is a book that improves even more on second and third reads.
Jaap
Huiveringwekkend. Sommige stukken zijn ronduit ranzig, maar hij blijft intrigeren. Zijn hoofdpersonen zijn heel echt: hun motieven zijn niet al te transparant.
De beschrijving van de sociale ontwikkelingen zijn beklemmend en levensecht.
Wel een behoorlijk dikke pil.
Molly
dale peck is that guy who wrote all those nasty reviews of more famous writers. even they had to admit his fiction is pretty dazzling, if underappreciated. lots of gorgeously depicted gay sex and violence in this riveting book.
Tara
Jan 03, 2008 Tara marked it as to-read
I just picked this one up on accident today, so far I'm loving it! Great narrator, and my hardback version has a lovely photo on the front, hope the prose will be equally lovely and unusual.
Tracy
Weird. If you are squeamish or homophobic, this one is not for you. I really like the author's style and voice.
Nick
I stopped after about 40 pages. The writing was labored and hard to enjoy. Characters were not that interesting.
Richard
one of the few books i have reead more than once. loved it every time. simly perfect
Paul
I'm almost certain that this is my second favorite book ever.
Amy McElroy
This book is AWESOME. One of my favourites ever!!!!
Astrid
Astrid marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Wackobusiness
Wackobusiness marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Chip
Chip added it
Jul 27, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Gail
Gail added it
Jun 07, 2014
Maya
Maya marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Dale Peck (born 1967 on Long Island, New York) is an American novelist, critic, and columnist. His 2009 novel, Sprout, won the Lambda Literary Award for LGBT Children's/Young Adult literature, and was a finalist for the Stonewall Book Award in the Children's and Young Adult Literature category.
More about Dale Peck...
Sprout Martin and John The Drift House: The First Voyage The Lost Cities: A Drift House Voyage Body Surfing: A Novel