Start by marking “Klepto” as Want to Read:
Klepto

Klepto

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  334 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Julie Braverman is the coolest person Julie Prodsky has ever met. During their freshman year (1981–1982) at the High School of Performing Arts in New York City, the previously unexplored world of flirting, freedom, and fashion is revealed to Julie P. through the eyes of her new best friend. Learning the secret to Julie B.’s collection of Fiorucci jeans—shoplifting — only m ...more
Published March 2nd 2006 by Viking Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Klepto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Klepto

Split Skirt by Agnes RossiKlepto by Jenny PollackI'll Take It by Paul Rudnick
Books Featuring Shoplifting
1st out of 3 books — 2 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëThe Help by Kathryn StockettThe Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
Best Novels in Female Perspective
293rd out of 412 books — 318 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessie
Did you own a leotard and legwarmers in the 80's even though you weren't a dancer? Did you wear scrunchies and headbands in your hair, own an Esprit outfit, sport a Swatch watch and totally totally love watching "Fame" on tv? If the answer is yes and some part of you longs for a book that will take you straight into the heart of the 80's fashion obsession, this book might be for you.

There's a certain nostaligic kitschy-ness that makes it hard to put down, but like eating too much of something t
Rose
Ella Perkins
This book is about two girls named Julie and they are both 15. Julie Braverman is not a very awesome/cool person. She is not a teachers pet nor a bad student. Julie Prodsky is like the coolest person you could ever meet. she has nice cloths her parents are never home and she is very popular. the two Julie's meet on there first day of school, at High School of Performing Arts, in New York City. When they meet they realize that they both live very close and are somewhat similar. When Julie B. find ...more
Haley
Julie Prodsky is new to the High School of the Performing Arts in New York City, and is feeling all alone until she meets Julie Braverman, a popular girl with everything Julie P. ever wanted. Soon Julie B. teaches her all about shoplifting, or “getting” and the pals start going to stores all throughout the city. Julie P. is happy with everything, her new friend, her new cloths, her new boyfriend but things go south when her conscience starts catching up with her.

This book can connect to a lot
Telka
The book Klepto is about a girl in 9th grade named Julie Prodsky. On her first day of high school, Julie meets another Julie. Julie Braverman is about the coolest person Julie has ever met. "She has no curfew, a to die for wardrobe, and her mothers a model in the "Its Better in the Bahamas" ad." Once Julie finds out the secret to Julie Braverman's awsome clothes-shoplifting-makes Julie admire her more. Soon enough, Julie Prodsky is the one going into Saks, Bloomingdales, and Fiorucci to get thi ...more
Jamie
Klepto, by Jenny Pollack takes place in the 1980's. The story is about Julie Prodsky, the main character who meets an "extremely cool" new friend named Julie Brauerman, and their relationship.
They meet on the first day of school at New Yorks High School of Performing Arts. Julie Prodsky is soon introduced to the world of fation through her new best friend, who has lots of clothing and jewelry. Julie Prodsky feels lucky to have her new "cool" friend, espeially when it is revealed hour she "gets
Ash R.
This book is about Julie and Julie, both in High school and try all the high school things that kids in high school would want to do. They get pulled into the wrong things and experiment with unsafe and bad things. They meet in high school and find out that they have many things in common but they get carried away and this Performing Arts school has nothing to do with their unexplainable behavior.

I can make a text to world connections because some people dont know what they are doing wrong unt
Christine
This book is about a teenager named Julie Prodsky who meets a girl she met from last year's bat mitzvah who has the same name as her, but diffrent last names.Her name was called Julie Braverman, she was the coolest person Julie Prodsky had ever met!.She then found out that all the expensive and brand names clothing she had were all shoplifted. Julie P started to think that shoplifting wasn't so bad, but one day she and her friends was caught shoplifting in a brand name store, it was Julie Prodsk ...more
Tringa

In the 1980s, Julie P., a freshman at the High School of the Performing Arts, never expected to be close friends with Julie B., a popular girl with expensive designer clothes. Who could afford that many clothes? Soon, Julie P. finds out the secrets behind Julie B.'s closet. Julie B. teaches Julie P. everything she needs to know to steal clothes. She learns tricks, such as always bringing scissors and wearing baggy clothes when she goes shopping. It brings Julie P. excitement whenever she attempt

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Samantha G. for TeensReadToo.com

Julie Prodsky is absolutely thrilled, yet anxious, to start at the famed High School of the Performing Arts in New York City. Julie feels like such a loser compared to all the talented and smart students in her freshman class, not to mention the upperclassmen. She worries about fitting in, and can't believe her luck when popular, pretty Julie Braverman notices her in the crowd and invites her to hang out at school.

The Julies' friendship starts to inte
Charlizechat
[ok, the computer swallowed my "homework" on this, so I'll try a 2nd draft!--:]

I'll just say briefly, while the book is still fresh in my mind, that I really did enjoy "Klepto" and, while it makes no overt nod to attempting to do "literature" I thought Jenny Pollack made some astute choices in how to present her (apparently very autobiographical) material which make the book believable and unfussy in its presentation of its narrator/heroine's world.

It's a great pop-culture escapist fantasy, w
Xiao Yan

Klepto Viking Juvenile,2006,288pp.,$16.99
Jenny Pollack ISBN-13: 9780670060610

“Kleptomaniac”- One who steals/shoplift without being able to control themselves, is exactly the way to describe the main character Julie Prodsky in the remarkable novel, Klepto by Jenny Pollack . Jenny Pollack writes an extraordinary novel revolving around the 1980’s where stealing was as easy as 1, 2, and 3 of a teenage girl’s journey through high school.
Julie Prodsky is just starting her freshman year at High scho
Amanda Yeargin
i read klepto as an IR book. This book is about a girl who is a freshman in high school. she meets this girl named julie as wel as her own name they become best friends. but they steal a lot, and julie doesnt know if its such a good idea anymore. along thhe way she deals with pain, boys, and aq pyschatrist.
A text-to-world connection is this happens alot. it wasnt only them, and just because its a book doesnt mean it doesnt happen in real life. this was placed in manhattan too. this is a lesson
Lauren
Fair writing, but not a truly dynamic plot. I think it may borrow *too much* from real life (and possibly the author's experiences) that it occasionally reads like a descriptive journal, with a play by play of events that sometimes borders on emotionless. There were moments of real humor and depth in the main character, but overall most of the characters remained very flat. This was a book I almost stopped reading several times simply because I didn't really care what happened to the characters, ...more
Young Lightning in Dark Sky
Oct 24, 2008 Young Lightning in Dark Sky rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mature preteens and above
Recommended to Young Lightning in Dark Sky by: Browsing in the World of Books
This is an amazing book that takes place in the nineteen eighties, New York City, and in the body of Julie Prodsky, who just transferred to the School for Performing Arts in NYC. There, she meets Julie Braverman, whom is described as 'the coolest person Julie P. ever met', because of her endless wardrobe, her happy-go-lucky laid back personality, her mom that's a model in the "It's Better in the Bahamas" ad, so on, so forth. But there's one thing about Julie Braverman's interminable wardrobe tha ...more
Irene
Another tween read but the theme that friendship is stronger than anything else is really important.
Emily  (ObsessedReader)
I think this book is perfect for teens around the first years of Highschool. That's when I read it, and I wasn't even an avid reader then. I adored it! If I read it now, I'm sure I might find it a bit juvinile. I want to read it again though to know for sure, and I will update my review after I do.
I don't remember a whole lot about it, but I do remember loving it to pieces. I have never read anything else by Jenny Pollack, but I loved her writing in this book.
If you are younger than around 17,
Liana
This book is about a girl Julie. Julie meets cool girl named named Julie B. Julie B. has many things such as clothes and jewelry, but she got them by stealing them. Julie follows Julie B. and starts to steal also. Will Julie stop stealing.

I can make a text-to-world connection because there are many people in the world who are getting peer pressured by their friends. Julie is getting peer pressured into stealing.

I rated this book four stars because it was interesting and many people can relate t
Patricia
this book is about two girls. both of there names are Julie, Julie B and Julie P. they both become best friends after Julie P visit. But Juie B ends up stealing clothes and keeps on doing it. it is almost like she is addicted to doing it.

i could make a text to world connection because Julie thought that it was cool to steal clothing. everyone now thinks that it is cool to do things that make them llook like bad kids

i agve this book 3 stars because i think that it could have been better. but i l
Delaney K.
it was interesting...
Nikki
Good high school read
Martha
My first book ...more
Andrea
Julie meets a different Julie who is waaaay cooler than she iS. jULIE #2 (I forgot their last names) has a whole bunch of fashionable clothes, shoes, and bags...but thats becuz she steals them all. Juli#1 thinks thats is sooo cool that she shoplifts and does it too.

Basically thats what te book is about. Them stealing, getting caught, learning stuff etc. I thought that the book was very heart-racing with the trying-not-to-get-caught concept. But I thought the book was kind of innapropriate.......
Natalie
Apr 22, 2013 Natalie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Part of me wants to rate this as three stars, however, that is only because what the main character was doing made me uncomfortable (I am sure you can guess by the title what she was doing). I cannot let the character's actions take away from the book itself though. I did enjoy the book, despite the annoying dialogue (again, not the writer's fault; that was how girls that age during that time spoke). I believe that Jenny Pollack took a sticky situation and worked well with it to create this nove ...more
Halle♥
Ugh, I hated this book because it was all about two girls who are obsessed with stealing. They go to department stores and pretty much find new ways to steal. This is based on the author's acutal teen life, but I thought it was vulgar, filled with swear words, mindless banter, and just very wrong. i don't recommend it at all. The best part of the book, though, was when Jenny (our main character) actaully stops stealing..That was toward the end...but it was weird.
Sukriti
Have you ever seen that super cute sweater in Bloomingdales but couldn't afford it? Or how about those hot new jeans? Everyone has had that feeling. 2 high school girls easily change that. They steal. They find ingenious ways to steal the clothes out of stores, and not get caught. Until their conscience catches up with them. Is that enough to get them to stop? Can their friendship, built on stealing, survive this?
Ms. C
SOF students -- This book was written by Jenny Pollack, our teaching artist from TDF!! The two main characters are students at the High School of Performing Arts in New York City, and one of them is a chronic shoplifter. If you like stories about teenagers living in NYC and complicated friendships -- then you will love Jenny's book!!
Tiffani
A very true book. Showed how she at first thought it was so cool but began feeling regret for stealing the clothes. The one thing I was wondering was how her mother in the story never noticed her wearing all these new clothes. I found it seemed very real how her "friend" forced her to keep shoplifting. Easily able to relate with this book.
Léonore
I really liked this book :) But on the price tag (well at least on the price tag where I bought it ) it was written " for young readers / 5-8 years old" ... hum excuse me but you might not want your kid to take that book as an example ... or at least the first half of it :P I'm 15 years old and I really enjoyed reading it .
Autumn Greene
At first I thought it was just another basic girl like boy, boy likes girl book. but with a slight twist, shes a klepto. It was kinda amusing riding with her on her "journey" to discover who she truly was. I liked the book. and for it being the authors first publication i thought it was well wrote, and imaginative.
  • Things I Know About Love
  • The Wind Blows Backward
  • My Mother Is a French Fry and Further Proof of My Fuzzed-Up Life
  • The Crushes (Heartbreakers, #2)
  • Love, Cajun Style
  • Queen Bee
  • Huge
  • The Winter of Candy Canes (Sweet Seasons, #3)
  • The Innocents Club
  • My Almost Epic Summer
  • Devon Delaney Should Totally Know Better (Devon Delaney, #2)
  • The Boy Who Reversed Himself
  • Footfree & Fancyloose (Bass Ackwards and Belly Up, #2)
  • The Secret Papers of Madame Olivetti