Start by marking “Little Darlings” as Want to Read:
Little Darlings

Little Darlings

Primrose, Cassian and Daisy Darling are very bad children. Papa Darling and Mrs Darling (the children's mum scarpered long ago) both know that child-rearing is a task best performed by experts, not parents. Unfortunately, the Darling family nannies never last long, for quite obvious reasons.
Published December 1st 2004 by Puffin Bks (first published March 25th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Little Darlings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Darlings

Ruhama
Dec 09, 2009 Ruhama rated it it was ok
Shelves: juvenile
Another book to schlep to kids who like Lemony Snicket. The Darling children have known nothing but nannies for most of their lives, and know how to thwart most of them, too. Despite the nannys’ best intentions (burnt custards, being sent to bed early with no dinner, etc.), the children have managed to get themselves onto the nanny blacklist, and one evening, Mr. Darling is desperate for someone to watch the children while he and Mrs. Secretary Darling go out. He calls AAA Aardvark Child Minding ...more
Blue Trees
Sep 27, 2013 Blue Trees rated it liked it
Had great potential, but didn't quite deliver.
I bought this book a few years ago and only managed to finish it now. It's a very hard book to read, and it took many tries. The reason is simply that it's /boring/. I loved the characters, I loved the idea, and yet it was written in a manner that I couldn't get into. It's one of those books that you read one page and you look at the book and think "ugh...do I really have to read this?". The only reason I forced myself to finish it was because I was
T2
Dec 01, 2013 T2 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good book that i really enjoyed. A well told story for children

Three children named Daisy, Cassian and Primrose run away in the back of a robber's car who got into their house by pretending to be a nanny from AAA Aardvark. They rode in the back of the car to a cargo ship where they were discovered.

After making it clear that they were staying aboard they find out that the ship is broken down. The chief engineer's stuffed bear was torn into five pieces and the engineer refused to start the
Aiyana
Nov 22, 2014 Aiyana rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor, adventure, nov-14
Little Darlings is the tale of three siblings Daisy, Cassian and Primrose who have had it with nannies. They have however gotten used to their father disappearing for months at a time, so, they basically live life on their own. Until they encounter a very strange nanny, who actually shows them kindness. This leads to an adventure that none of them expected. The Little Darlings will never need nannies ever again.

I picked this book up because I needed a humor book to read, and the cover looked in
Melissa
May 04, 2016 Melissa rated it liked it
Cheerful, light, sick-day reading. Enjoyed it.

The three Darling children are horrible to their nannies. Until Nanny #19 shows up, and is actually kind to them ... and not at all like a nanny. When they attempt to make off with the new Nanny's car, they discover Nanny Pete is actually a burglar ...and so are off on an adventure of their own. And all their skills will come in handy ... .

Took this out from the library years ago for my kid to read. He was woefully uninterested, and we managed to l
Katy
Jul 13, 2012 Katy rated it it was amazing
I am in no way responsible for bringing up these children. This enables me to absolutely love all three of them. And all the rest of the characters, the narrator's friendly style of writing, and the entertaining silliness of the whole adventure.

I am in the process of bullying my little sister into reading it, because every good child should. And every parent, to put their children's behaviour into perspective. This book is going to stay as one of my favourites and I'll probably get distracted by
Anna Hirssig
Dec 03, 2012 Anna Hirssig rated it liked it
I do not know what I want to say about this book. It was very interesting, and the plot was really fun to follow, but I just do not know what I think about it. I rated it three stars because it engaged me as a reader, and it was very entertaining. The twists that the author throws in there were very weird, and made me feel awkward at times. I think that is why it was intersting. Great Job Llewellyn, it was a good read!
Victor Méndez
No me agradó mucho. Una historia con poco argumento. Creo que no es ni interesante para los niños. Le falta algo y creo que tiene que ver con que los personajes son pobres. Las situaciones se perciben fuertes, pero no terminan de enganchar. Un mal libro. Lo único que me gustó fue... creo que nada. Ah, y tiene una fuerte inspiración en el libro de Lemony Snicket, Una serie de catastróficas desdichas, pero no le hace nada de justicia. Muy malo.
Alyssa
Apr 08, 2013 Alyssa rated it liked it
This book is boring just all about weird nannies I don't get it at all. Tried finishing this 6 or 7 times but I can't. I just can't. It was too boring for me.
Quigmeister
Oct 05, 2008 Quigmeister rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: ages 8-15
Three mischevous kids, specializing in getting rid of nannies are captured by a not so ferocious band of robbers.
Bettie☯
Traci
Apr 23, 2009 Traci rated it liked it
Very very cute. I'm not sure that the children's age group that it was written for would understand everything, but it was really kinda good.
Christina
Nov 04, 2012 Christina rated it liked it
I need to read this book agian. When I read it in third grade, I was too young to realy apreciate it.
Debbie
Mar 10, 2012 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
An interesting little tale in the vein of The Series of Unfortunate Events, though more sophisticated and less formulaic.
Ruth
Mar 08, 2016 Ruth rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was younger and had been searching for its title for years. I loved this so much! I've ordered a new copy and am excited to reread it. Why does this sound so stiff, lmao.
Meghan
Sep 26, 2007 Meghan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
I loved this book but i think Sam lewellyn let himself down on the 3rd and 2nd ones they get boring too quickly!
Emily
Jul 24, 2012 Emily rated it liked it
More than a little random, but you really had to wonder where the idea for it came from.
Raahi
Raahi rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2012
Mindy Ann
Mindy Ann rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2013
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2014
Zosia
Zosia rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2015
Bunni
Jan 23, 2016 Bunni rated it it was amazing
HILARIOUS! Gonna read them all
Lauriislife
Lauriislife rated it it was ok
Jul 24, 2015
Jess
Jess rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2011
Jola Bujas
Jola Bujas rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2013
Ja Fernandez
Ja Fernandez rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2007
Veronika Bezlepkina
Veronika Bezlepkina rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2015
Katarzyna
Katarzyna rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • 안나라수마나라 1 (Annarasumanara #1)
  • Wishful Thinking (The Misadventures of Benjamin Bartholomew Piff, #2)
  • Luminosity
  • The Faerie Door
  • Dragon War
  • The Fugitive from Corinth (The Roman Mysteries, #10)
  • The Ink Drinker
  • The Midnight Gate (Spellbinder #2)
  • The Ogre of Oglefort
  • Sky Trillium (The Saga of the Trillium, #5)
  • 3 Below (Floors, #2)
  • Beware! Killer Tomatoes
  • The Dog Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Troubleshooting Tips, and Advice on Lifetime Maintenance
  • Once
  • The Doomspell (Doomspell, #1)
  • Wild West Witches