Start by marking “Hank the Cowdog: It's a Dog's Life (Hank the Cowdog, 3)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Hank the Cowdog: It's ...

John R. Erickson

Hank the Cowdog: It's a Dog's Life (Hank the Cowdog #3)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  732 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Approx. 2.5 hours, 2 cassettes

Hank hitches a ride into town to visit his sister, Maggie, who never really took to ranch life. Maggie doesn't like swimming in the sewer, chewing on old bones, or digging in the mud. So, it's up to Uncle Hank to teach Maggie's four pups the basics of their cowdog heritage, beginning with Garbage Patrol.

Audio Cassette
Published 2000 by Listening Library (first published June 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Hank the Cowdog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hank the Cowdog

Wayne S.
Hank the Cowdog is head of security on the M-Cross Ranch owned by High Loper and Sally May in the Texas panhandle’s Ochiltree County. His younger assistant named Drover has heard from Pete the Barncat that the world is coming to an end because he saw Sally May writing on the calendar for the next day, “End of the world, 3:00 p.m.,” and then driving off. While investigating, Hank makes such a mess in the house that he decides that it’s time for a visit to his sister Maggie and her family in town, ...more
Laura Verret
Yep, it’s Hank again…

The Story.

The night watch is over and Hank is just stretching out for a delicious, hard-earned snooze when Drover pulls in squeaking his silly little head off. His terror arises from the fact that he just learned that the world is going to end tomorrow. Yes sirree, tomorrow at 3 PM. Even Hank, veteran that he is, is a bit shook up. Do they really only have a day left to live? He decides to conduct and investigation.

His first plan of action is to penetrate the house and snea
Bea
The Hank the Cowdog series, is the most humorous and insightful look into a day in the life of a Cowdog. My first encounter with this book was as a child when my mom read it to me, being an avid dog lover I was hooked! I then read the book to my younger brother, using my best Hank the Cowdog accent, until my throat was dry and I could barely speak, while we laughed up a storm! There have been 60 books written since 1982, about 130 pages each, there are also pictures throughout the book. The seri ...more
Courtney Clark
Honestly, this got one star because zero wasn't an option. I usually don't like to do easy-reader type books as read alouds or audio books because I want the kids to read them themselves. But every once in a while we do. We started Hank because Zeke picked it up at the library and I've heard it lauded as a book that really gets kids reading. This book is so freaking terrible that I'm not even sure I'd allow it as private reading material. I definitely won't ever be reading another myself.

1. Poor
serena482*
This book was a very interesting book. Hank the cow dog goes on an adventure away from the ranch after getting in series trouble. The only thing I don't like is how Hank lies and that he thinks he is way better than Drover. Other than that it was a interesting, funny,and fun and I really enjoyed it.
Chloe Coombs
Jay
I can see why my son told me to read this book. Hank has a very entertaining view of the world and of himself. I didn't laugh out loud reading these books, but I can imagine that all of my kids would be rolling on the floor laughing at some parts if I were to read it aloud to them. I like books that point out (in a humorous way) the difference between one's perception of self and the external reality. That's a good lesson for kids to learn.
Tom
Another good story. Hank takes a vacation to the city while things "blow over" at the ranch after a break-in and steak eatin' at the house. We meet his sister and her 4 pups (and the neighbors cats),Hank gets hydrophobia and has a run-in with the local dogcatcher. Good times.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 6222 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: MG - BL: 4.8 - AR Pts: 3.0
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Darryl Cole
I read pretty much this entire series years ago after I descovered them in my elementary school libary. The plot, and characters are great. Plus these books are extremly funny. I loved this series then and I still love it.
Jason
A weaker entry in the series, most of this book takes place off of the ranch and away from the canyons. It was a nice change of pace after the first couple books, and has a memorable moment or two, but nothing special.
Maria
Hank goes to visit his sister because he is kicked off the ranch he lives on. He is a bad influence on his nieces and nephews, and his sister gets him back. I thought the writing was shallow and mundane.
Elise
Jonah's favorite, he gives it 5 stars
Kathleen Spratt
What a fun book to read. My eight year old son and I take turns reading this book to each other at night. His teacher started us on reading the series by John Erickson. I chuckle every night.
Hannah
Hank gets bubbles. The reason why it's called ivory dog bars is because it's written ivory across the soap and because soaps are bars. And Hank gets stuck in the dog pound. And he escapes.
Kristine Pratt
Hank leaves the ranch to visit his sister in town. Another funny story about Hank and his friends. Is it only me that loves when the vultures can be included for a bit?
Shannon Clark
Hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!! I've now set a goal to try and read ALL of the Hank the Cowdog books by the end of this schoolyear. THAT'S how much I love them!
Merwyn Haskett
A nice - and more importantly, funny - change of pace as Hank doesn't solve a mystery but rather spends a day getting his Sister's pups and himself in trouble.
H.M. Ward
why? why did there have to be something in there about chopping off hank's head? kid had nightmares all night. didn't see that coming. :(
Kylie Schlabs
Hank the cowdog is my favorite book series. Drover is my favorite character out of the whole series! This book series rocks!!
Lori
I finished reading this to my 6th grade class this week. The chapters on Hank visiting his sister Maggie are inspired.
Nestor N.
I read a Hank book itis funny kank hank popys end she wanted to go tothe oat to the wrold because
Carol
This is not my favorite kid's series, but there were definitely some laugh-ou-loud moments in this one.
Sydney
i liked it when Hank is teaching the little cute puppies.
Cws
JM4 ERi
LJ
LJ added it
Jul 31, 2015
  • The Cottage at Bantry Bay
  • Mickey's Christmas Carol: Classic Storybook
  • The Outer Space Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #59)
  • All You Ever Need
  • Ben Franklin of Old Philadelphia
  • بازیگوشی نیكولا كوچولو
  • Hollywood, Dead Ahead (43 Old Cemetery Road, #5)
  • The Happy Hollisters and the Indian Treasure (Happy Hollisters, #4)
  • Buffalo Bill
  • The New Roget's Thesaurus in Dictionary Form
  • The Short-Wave Mystery (Hardy Boys, #24)
  • The Josefina Story Quilt
  • Beorn the Proud
  • Cowboy Small
  • The Art of the Catapult: Build Greek Ballistae, Roman Onagers, English Trebuchets, and More Ancient Artillery
  • Handbook of Knots
  • Cats at the Campground (Animal Ark, #32)
  • Our Solar System
John R. Erickson, a former cowboy and ranch manager, is gifted with a storyteller's knack for spinning a yarn. Through the eyes of Hank the Cowdog, a smelly, smart-aleck Head of Ranch Security, Erickson gives readers a glimpse of daily life on a ranch in the West Texas Panhandle. This series of books and tapes is in school libraries across the country, has sold more than 7.6 million copies, is a B ...more
More about John R. Erickson...

Hank the Cowdog (1 - 10 of 61 books)
  • The Original Adventures of Hank the Cowdog (Hank the Cowdog #1)
  • The Further Adventures of Hank the Cowdog (Hank the Cowdog, #2)
  • Murder in the Middle Pasture (Hank the Cowdog, #4)
  • Faded Love (Hank the Cowdog, #5)
  • Let Sleeping Dogs Lie (Hank the Cowdog, #6)
  • The Curse of the Incredible Priceless Corncob (Hank the Cowdog, #7)
  • The Case of the One-Eyed Killer Stud Horse (Hank the Cowdog, #8)
  • The Case of the Halloween Ghost (Hank the Cowdog, #9)
  • Every Dog Has His Day (Hank the Cowdog, #10)
  • Lost in the Dark Unchanted Forest (Hank the Cowdog, #11)
The Original Adventures of Hank the Cowdog (Hank the Cowdog #1) The Further Adventures of Hank the Cowdog (Hank the Cowdog, #2) Murder in the Middle Pasture (Hank the Cowdog, #4) Let Sleeping Dogs Lie (Hank the Cowdog, #6) Faded Love (Hank the Cowdog, #5)