Start by marking “Grace Walk” as Want to Read:
Grace Walk

Grace Walk

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  512 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
What you've always wanted in the Christian life...but never expected. Learn to push self-sufficiency aside and let Christ live through you. Experience the grace walk, and know the spiritual fulfillment you have been striving for all along.
Published February 1st 1995 by Harvest House Publishers (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Grace Walk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grace Walk

Jessica
Jan 01, 2015 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It would, hopefully, do a good job of pulling a legalist out of their law-heavy views. However, it is full of so much law-shaming that I have a hard time suggesting it to just anyone. I was constantly thinking of verses that clearly state the opposite of what he was saying. However, it sparked good conversation and got me thinking about the specifics of what the Bible says on the subject. Christ may have come to free us from the "law of righteousness" (meaning, He has freed us from the requireme ...more
John Martindale
Jan 21, 2011 John Martindale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to John by: My Mom
Shelves: christian
The typical grace book, A lot like others that I have read. It sounds so great, it all fits together and makes plenty of sense. These books insist its not about right or wrong, we are to never try, discipline or force ourselves to do anything, for all that is flesh and legalism, but instead we only have to let Jesus be our life, we merely need to start abiding in Christ, and He will do everything for us and we can have a practically care free life because He will make us Desire to do what we oug ...more
Anna
Feb 01, 2011 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
"Grace Walk" is a warm, fuzzy, happy-smiley book, with a simple but important message: It's not about your performance for God, but your relationship WITH God. McVey was a "good ole boy" from a young age, memorizing Scripture, praying, fasting, and doing all the 'right' things in earnest in order to grow closer to God and become less sinful. He was scouted to lead a megachurch in Atlanta and after a year of running his most tested and sure-fire programs he found himself leading a SHRINKING churc ...more
Trevor Lloyd
More recent version and perhaps simpler/plainer account of typical deeper life, or victorious Christian living theology that I have come across quite regularly over the years through the writing of Andrew Murray, Watchman Nee, Alan Redpath and Zac Poonen. I was a bit disappointed as it was a fairly plain re-working with no real further insight. And still some of the similar shortcoming - that people can get just as frustrated and condemned waiting for the 'deeper life' experience as they can thr ...more
Barbara Tsipouras
Steve McVeys's life changed radically when he understood the greatness of God's grace. The formallyachievement-oriented and dutiful pastor who wanted to do everything for God became a joyful christian resting in Christ and allowing Christ who lives in him (and no more his old self) to do everything through him. With lots of examples, quotes and bible verses he explains talks vividly of this change.
This is an encouraging book for all who try to minister and do their best to keep all the religious
Debby
Nov 16, 2014 Debby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith-based
Much to apply to my life in this book. The year of 2011 is my year to re-examine my life and my faith completely. This book was recommended to me by my pastor and it pinpoints my lifestyle exactly. Now to change my life from working for Him to letting Him work through me. Easier said than done . . .
Mandy J. Hoffman
Aug 18, 2009 Mandy J. Hoffman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-time-favs, i-own
For my almost 24 years of salvation I have been walking around trying to please God with all that I do, say, and think. While I never would have admitted that I was trying to earn his approval, my actions and behavior boiled down to that. I understood that grace meant receiving something you don't deserve and that grace is what God gave me when He gave me salvation, but never had I truly grasped the fact that each day I am walkinging in His grace. This book and Steve's other book titled Grace Ru ...more
Kristin
Jul 06, 2009 Kristin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone longing for love-relationship with God.
Recommended to Kristin by: my husband, Gregg
I read this to Gregg as we traveled north to VA and then PA. It is a very readable book. It reminded me a lot of what Doug recently preached on....Christ IN me...not making me a better me, but Him living His life through me. A life of grace vs. a life of legalism. McVey talks of having a living, vibrant, love relationship with God.

Some favorite quotes:

page 116-117:
Because we have been crucified with Christ, we have been delivered from the law. We are no longer required to live under a system of
Brian Schiebout
Aug 15, 2013 Brian Schiebout rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grace Walk by Steve McVey is a guide to living a Christian life. The key to the grace filled life is Christ. I know this sounds obvious but often we who claim to be followers of Christ act like we don't know him at all. Instead even though we claim that our salvation is assured by no deep of our own we still act as though out acts matter. If our works had nothing to do with God choosing us why should it be completely different once we are saved? It isn't and that more than anything is the great ...more
Lori
Feb 28, 2012 Lori rated it really liked it
I read this book many years ago when my uncle, a man steeped in religious tradition for decades, discovered this book and, after being dramatically liberated by its content, gave a copy to just about everyone he knew. There was a new light in his eyes, a new gentleness in his demeanor, when with great joy he said "I've been a Christian my whole life, and I never knew this stuff--I'm free!!!"

I picked it up again after having a discussion with a friend about the tension between the "ought to's" of
Tammy Brown
Jun 01, 2016 Tammy Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
You can't do anything in your own power to receive salvation nor can you do anything in your own power "for" God after salvation. All you're asked to do is allow Jesus to work through you.

This book is one to savor, enjoy every morsel in it. It will change your Christian life.
Ray
May 08, 2016 Ray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. A good friend recommended it to me. The title says it all. He talks about how to walk in Grace and what that looks like in our daily life. I would recommend everyone read this book. I think you'll find it worth it. I liked it so much, I'm planning on re-reading it.
Kevin
Mar 22, 2015 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Relieved

I have been living under the bonds of my self-imposed legalism. This book is showing me just how broken I am and that nothing I can do will earn me any more favor from the one who gave it all. Pray for me as I look to walk in the grace that I was meant for.
Josh Turansky
The beginning covers the fundamentals of the New Covenant. Some of his views on the Flesh and the Old Nature are a bit nuanced. But the last few chapters are excellent.
Anna Meyer
Sep 19, 2015 Anna Meyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was really good for me at the time of life I read it. I read it 2 or 3 times in a year!
Karen Lewis
Jan 01, 2010 Karen Lewis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading Grace Walk and learned a lot from it.The book cleared some questions I had at the time.The only point I would like to make is the author tends to come across that you can't lose your salvation.Once saved always saved.

I believe we can lose our salvation. God may never leave us but some people choose to turn there backs on God even though they know the truth.Through repentance we can return to him.

Otherwise I thought the book was fantastic.
Diane
I expected to really learn something from this book and while it inspired me, I ultimately ended up feeling that it was almost a teaser for the spin-offs that have followed. Rev. McVey spent a lot of time describing his experiences and what they meant to him but gave no instruction as to how to live the life he so painstakingly described. To get that, I guess you need to purchase the workbook. So I'm pretty disappointed, and it's left me feeling almost cheated.
Dave Mackey
This book is a contemporary treatise for the "exchanged life" - which became especially popular in the 19th century and into the 20th century. McVey's writing feels a bit dry to me at times and while he suggests that it is simplicity to experience this "exchange" I have not found it so.
This book partially doesn't connect with me, but at other points it scrapes away at me with a painful healing such as Aslan provided to Edmund when he had become a dragon.
Lisa M.
Jan 17, 2010 Lisa M. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book as part of a graduate course I took on Christian Counseling methods. This book confirmed my own writing and teaching about Grace and Freedom in Christ. Steve continues to grow this teaching in blogs and podcast and YouTube. My favorite series of YOUTUBE videos are "101 Lies the Church teaches every Sunday" I am excited to know that he is starting work on a book with that title. I will keep you updated....
Jennifer Dery
I really enjoyed the concept of this book ... Walking in the glory of God's grace. I am not a fan of the author's writing. It was a little disjointed for me. And I would have really liked to see more scripture to support his assertions. Having said that, there were parts that I really connected with.
Nathan
Aug 30, 2009 Nathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any body wishing to grow in their faith.
Recommended to Nathan by: Gary
Very foundational book that deals with our propensity to reject God's grace and focus on works and out unworthiness before God. I expect I will be re-reading this book once a year or so for the rest of my life because it is so good and it is so appropriate to my spiritual walk.
Eric
Oct 01, 2008 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book described my walk with God to the "T". It helped me to realize that God will use my weaknesses before my strengths, and his glory will be shown through my actions. Truly a blessing in my life. Recommended to me by the 2nd Thief Riders. Good stuff.
Dave Minor
Dec 08, 2012 Dave Minor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Follows in the footsteps of two other recent Christian thinkers, Watchman Nee and Charles Trumball. The gist of GW is that the only way to live is Christ living in me. He calls this life the exchanged life. It was a very insightful yet simple, quick read.
Debby
Oct 07, 2008 Debby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any frustrated, burned out, worn out Christian who is tired of living under legalisma
All I can say is WOW!!! This book has been used to profoundly change me and how i view and live this life as a Christian. This message of living in and by God's grace is the pure message of the freedom for which Christ died to set us free!!
Diane
Oct 19, 2011 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is exhausted from "trying" to live a life pleasing to God.
Recommended to Diane by: My friend Clare and her husband Ron.
LOVED this book! It has answered a lot of questions for me and cleared up a bit of confusion.

The difference between us "TRYING to live our lives FOR Christ"(of our own efforts).. and "Christ living HIS life THROUGH US".
Bednarzterry
Nov 29, 2010 Bednarzterry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book that talks about what we receive when Christ is our life. I wish every Christian would read it and I pray that more and more each day I rest in the finished work of the Cross.
Joanna
Oct 10, 2010 Joanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't say enough about this book. A unique approach to the Christian walk. No more have-tos! Can now rest and no longer feel guilt. Really liked this book and author's point of view.
Jerry Roper
Sep 22, 2009 Jerry Roper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book about the Christian walk and what do I do now. I absolutely recommend this book to anyone who has ever asked - Why is this Christian stuff so hard...
Mary
May 29, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
This book showed me what grace is and what it is not. It is not a characteristic/personality trait of God but the very essence of his Being and how he relates to mankind.
Darlene Hull
May 22, 2010 Darlene Hull rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book. I'm on the journey of "detoxing" from religious performance to walking in the freedom and grace of relationship, and this book is a great tool along the way.
  • I Have Loved You: Getting to Know the Father's Heart
  • God Knows My Name: Never Forgotten, Forever Loved
  • Let God Change Your Life: How to Know and Follow Jesus
  • Moses - Steps to a Life of Faith
  • The Fitting Room: Putting on the Character of Christ
Steve McVey is the President of Grace Walk Ministries, a discipleship training ministry located in the Tampa Bay area. He is the author of the books Grace Walk, (Harvest House, 1995) Grace Rules, (Harvest House, 1998), Grace Amazing (Harvest House, January, 2001), A Divine Invitation (Harvest House, July, 2002), The Godward Gaze (Harvest House, 2003), The Grace Walk Experience (Harvest House Publi ...more
More about Steve McVey...

“If you have the impression that I am minimizing the place of the Bible in the life of the Christian, you are missing my point. I know the Bible speaks about the importance of feeding from God’s Word daily. However when a person’s goal is simply to read the Bible, he isn’t seeing the big picture. We should read the Bible because we want to know Christ in a more intimate way, not just to fulfill a religious duty. Nobody in the New Testament was more committed to studying the Bible than the Pharisees. They could quote long passages from memory. They knew the content of their Bible because they pored over it daily. But Jesus had a word to say about their kind of Bible study: “You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal” 0 likes
“the New Testament model of a Christian is not one who dedicates his own work to God. Rather it is the story of God Himself doing the work through a person totally yielded to Him.” 0 likes