Start by marking “Grace Walk” as Want to Read:
Grace Walk

Grace Walk

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  367 ratings  ·  51 reviews
What you've always wanted in the Christian life...but never expected. Learn to push self-sufficiency aside and let Christ live through you. Experience the grace walk, and know the spiritual fulfillment you have been striving for all along.
Published February 1st 1995 by Harvest House Publishers (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Grace Walk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grace Walk

John Martindale
Jan 21, 2011 John Martindale rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to John by: My Mom
Shelves: christian
The typical grace book, A lot like others that I have read. It sounds so great, it all fits together and makes plenty of sense. These books insist its not about right or wrong, we are to never try, discipline or force ourselves to do anything, for all that is flesh and legalism, but instead we only have to let Jesus be our life, we merely need to start abiding in Christ, and He will do everything for us and we can have a practically care free life because He will make us Desire to do what we oug ...more
Anna
"Grace Walk" is a warm, fuzzy, happy-smiley book, with a simple but important message: It's not about your performance for God, but your relationship WITH God. McVey was a "good ole boy" from a young age, memorizing Scripture, praying, fasting, and doing all the 'right' things in earnest in order to grow closer to God and become less sinful. He was scouted to lead a megachurch in Atlanta and after a year of running his most tested and sure-fire programs he found himself leading a SHRINKING churc ...more
Trevor Lloyd
More recent version and perhaps simpler/plainer account of typical deeper life, or victorious Christian living theology that I have come across quite regularly over the years through the writing of Andrew Murray, Watchman Nee, Alan Redpath and Zac Poonen. I was a bit disappointed as it was a fairly plain re-working with no real further insight. And still some of the similar shortcoming - that people can get just as frustrated and condemned waiting for the 'deeper life' experience as they can thr ...more
Debby
Much to apply to my life in this book. The year of 2011 is my year to re-examine my life and my faith completely. This book was recommended to me by my pastor and it pinpoints my lifestyle exactly. Now to change my life from working for Him to letting Him work through me. Easier said than done . . .
Jessica
It would, hopefully, do a good job of pulling a legalist out of their law-heavy views. However, it is full of so much law-shaming that I have a hard time suggesting it to just anyone. I was constantly thinking of verses that clearly state the opposite of what he was saying. However, it sparked good conversation and got me thinking about the specifics of what the Bible says on the subject. Christ may have come to free us from the "law of righteousness" (meaning, He has freed us from the requireme ...more
Mandy J. J.
For my almost 24 years of salvation I have been walking around trying to please God with all that I do, say, and think. While I never would have admitted that I was trying to earn his approval, my actions and behavior boiled down to that. I understood that grace meant receiving something you don't deserve and that grace is what God gave me when He gave me salvation, but never had I truly grasped the fact that each day I am walkinging in His grace. This book and Steve's other book titled Grace Ru ...more
Kristin
Jul 06, 2009 Kristin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone longing for love-relationship with God.
Recommended to Kristin by: my husband, Gregg
I read this to Gregg as we traveled north to VA and then PA. It is a very readable book. It reminded me a lot of what Doug recently preached on....Christ IN me...not making me a better me, but Him living His life through me. A life of grace vs. a life of legalism. McVey talks of having a living, vibrant, love relationship with God.

Some favorite quotes:

page 116-117:
Because we have been crucified with Christ, we have been delivered from the law. We are no longer required to live under a system of
Brian Schiebout
Grace Walk by Steve McVey is a guide to living a Christian life. The key to the grace filled life is Christ. I know this sounds obvious but often we who claim to be followers of Christ act like we don't know him at all. Instead even though we claim that our salvation is assured by no deep of our own we still act as though out acts matter. If our works had nothing to do with God choosing us why should it be completely different once we are saved? It isn't and that more than anything is the great ...more
Lori
I read this book many years ago when my uncle, a man steeped in religious tradition for decades, discovered this book and, after being dramatically liberated by its content, gave a copy to just about everyone he knew. There was a new light in his eyes, a new gentleness in his demeanor, when with great joy he said "I've been a Christian my whole life, and I never knew this stuff--I'm free!!!"

I picked it up again after having a discussion with a friend about the tension between the "ought to's" of
Karen Lewis
I really enjoyed reading Grace Walk and learned a lot from it.The book cleared some questions I had at the time.The only point I would like to make is the author tends to come across that you can't lose your salvation.Once saved always saved.

I believe we can lose our salvation. God may never leave us but some people choose to turn there backs on God even though they know the truth.Through repentance we can return to him.

Otherwise I thought the book was fantastic.
Diane
I expected to really learn something from this book and while it inspired me, I ultimately ended up feeling that it was almost a teaser for the spin-offs that have followed. Rev. McVey spent a lot of time describing his experiences and what they meant to him but gave no instruction as to how to live the life he so painstakingly described. To get that, I guess you need to purchase the workbook. So I'm pretty disappointed, and it's left me feeling almost cheated.
Dave Mackey
This book is a contemporary treatise for the "exchanged life" - which became especially popular in the 19th century and into the 20th century. McVey's writing feels a bit dry to me at times and while he suggests that it is simplicity to experience this "exchange" I have not found it so.
This book partially doesn't connect with me, but at other points it scrapes away at me with a painful healing such as Aslan provided to Edmund when he had become a dragon.
Lisa M.
I read this book as part of a graduate course I took on Christian Counseling methods. This book confirmed my own writing and teaching about Grace and Freedom in Christ. Steve continues to grow this teaching in blogs and podcast and YouTube. My favorite series of YOUTUBE videos are "101 Lies the Church teaches every Sunday" I am excited to know that he is starting work on a book with that title. I will keep you updated....
Nathan
Aug 30, 2009 Nathan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any body wishing to grow in their faith.
Recommended to Nathan by: Gary
Very foundational book that deals with our propensity to reject God's grace and focus on works and out unworthiness before God. I expect I will be re-reading this book once a year or so for the rest of my life because it is so good and it is so appropriate to my spiritual walk.
Eric
This book described my walk with God to the "T". It helped me to realize that God will use my weaknesses before my strengths, and his glory will be shown through my actions. Truly a blessing in my life. Recommended to me by the 2nd Thief Riders. Good stuff.
Dave Minor
Follows in the footsteps of two other recent Christian thinkers, Watchman Nee and Charles Trumball. The gist of GW is that the only way to live is Christ living in me. He calls this life the exchanged life. It was a very insightful yet simple, quick read.
Debby
Oct 07, 2008 Debby rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any frustrated, burned out, worn out Christian who is tired of living under legalisma
All I can say is WOW!!! This book has been used to profoundly change me and how i view and live this life as a Christian. This message of living in and by God's grace is the pure message of the freedom for which Christ died to set us free!!
Ricky Fortson
I would do a lot of good for apostolics to read this book
Diane
Oct 19, 2011 Diane rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is exhausted from "trying" to live a life pleasing to God.
Recommended to Diane by: My friend Clare and her husband Ron.
LOVED this book! It has answered a lot of questions for me and cleared up a bit of confusion.

The difference between us "TRYING to live our lives FOR Christ"(of our own efforts).. and "Christ living HIS life THROUGH US".
Bednarzterry
Very good book that talks about what we receive when Christ is our life. I wish every Christian would read it and I pray that more and more each day I rest in the finished work of the Cross.
Joanna
Can't say enough about this book. A unique approach to the Christian walk. No more have-tos! Can now rest and no longer feel guilt. Really liked this book and author's point of view.
Jerry Roper
This is an excellent book about the Christian walk and what do I do now. I absolutely recommend this book to anyone who has ever asked - Why is this Christian stuff so hard...
Mary
This book showed me what grace is and what it is not. It is not a characteristic/personality trait of God but the very essence of his Being and how he relates to mankind.
Darlene Hull
A great book. I'm on the journey of "detoxing" from religious performance to walking in the freedom and grace of relationship, and this book is a great tool along the way.
Christine
Sep 29, 2008 Christine marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended by Eric. I'll have to purchase the copy or see if the library can get it through inter-library loan. He'll catch it if it's *blah*.
Jack Bond
An awesome awesome Book and I would recommend this Book to all new believers in Christ as you don't have to make the same mistake as I did for the 30 years
Susanna
I think this is a great book. Changing the way I view the things I do and the way I judge myself. I can't wait to go through the workbook for this book.
Erin
I learned so much about who I am, who God is, and about life in general. It reallly changed my perspective in so many positive ways! Awesome book!!
Olive Chan
A clear and personal presentation of what it means to live as new creations in Christ. Written by a pastor who found himself depleted and empty.
Beck
Incredible book. Even more incredible God. God has used this book to make even more sense of the truths I've been taught all my life.
  • Standing Strong: How to Resist the Enemy of Your Soul
  • Transforming Grace: Living Confidently in God's Unfailing Love
  • Handle with Prayer: Unwrap the Source of God's Strength for Living
  • More Than Ordinary: Enjoying Life with God
  • Deliver Us from Me-Ville
  • God without Religion: Can It Really Be This Simple?
  • Reimagining Church: Pursuing the Dream of Organic Christianity
  • God's Love: How the Infinite God Cares for His Children
  • Sifted: God's Scandalous Response to Satan's Outrageous Demand
  • I Have Loved You: Getting to Know the Father's Heart
  • The Christian's Secret Of A Happy Life (Hendrickson Christian Classics)
  • Further Still
  • Touching Wonder: Recapturing the Awe of Christmas
  • Confessions of a Prayer Slacker
  • God Built: Forged by God ... in the Bad and Good of Life
  • Godspeed: Making Christ's Mission Your Own
  • Where To Find It In The Bible The Ultimate A To Z Resource Series
  • Vertical Church: What Every Heart Longs for. What Every Church Can Be.
Steve McVey is the President of Grace Walk Ministries, a discipleship training ministry located in the Tampa Bay area. He is the author of the books Grace Walk, (Harvest House, 1995) Grace Rules, (Harvest House, 1998), Grace Amazing (Harvest House, January, 2001), A Divine Invitation (Harvest House, July, 2002), The Godward Gaze (Harvest House, 2003), The Grace Walk Experience (Harvest House Publi ...more
More about Steve McVey...
Grace Rules 52 Lies Heard in Church Every Sunday: And Why the Truth Is So Much Better The Grace Walk Experience: Enjoying Life the Way God Intends A Divine Invitation: Experiencing the Romance of God's Amazing Love Walking in the Will of God