Start by marking “Who Was Martin Luther King, Jr.?” as Want to Read:
Who Was Martin Luther King, Jr.?

Who Was Martin Luther King, Jr.? (Who Was/Is...?)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  243 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was only 25 when he helped organize the Montgomery Bus Boycott and was soon organizing black people across the country in support of the right to vote, desegregation, and other basic civil rights. Maintaining nonviolent and peaceful tactics even when his life was threatened, King was also an advocate for the poor and spoke out against racial and ...more
Published December 27th 2007 by Grosset & Dunlap

Wade
This book was a great follow-up to Who Was Rosa Parks? , we learned more about a lot of the new words we read there; segregation, nonviolence, equality, protest, etc.

We were surprised to find out that when Martin was born his given name was Michael King.

Martin was impressed by the teachings of Gandhi, and when he visited India he saw first-hand the power and effectiveness of peaceful protest. Even though it is difficult, he understood how important it was to not fight back when you are treated
Brandy Reed
When children are younger sometimes they aren’t always exposed to historical figures. It is important however for young kids to learn about people who have impacted history and what they have accomplished. A great way for this to occur is to have children read biographies. There are authors who have written books about famous people and what they have done. In the biography “Who was Martin Luther King” by Jess Brailer, Martin Luther King's life is explored. There are funny and interesting facts ...more
Alexandria Stephens
Who Was Martin Luther King, Jr is a biography about the life of Dr. Martin Luther King. The book begins with him growing up in Georgia in a small home which he shared with his family. The book speaks about the impact that Dr. King had on the Civil Rights Movement and how his courage helped end segregation. The book journey through his life up until his untimely death. The Who Was series can be used in social studies to teach about historical figures. The book contains terms related to the Civil ...more
Liz W
I really admire Dr. King. I think it was AMAZING how he protested in a nonviolent way and won. I think he is a really good role model for anyone. I have learned a little bit about him but now i know a lot more. For example, I did not know he was a minister. I thought that was pretty cool! I still cannot believe he got thrown in jail several times! I was really bummed out when i learned that he was just outside on a balcony getting some air on a nice day when he was shot. It was very sad. I think ...more
Hanna Mammo
Apr 08, 2014 Hanna Mammo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents/teacher/children (pre-k to 3rd)
Who was Martin Luther King??? You definitely won't be asking that question after your have read this book. It describes in detail who he was, where he came from, and what he stood for. This book includes all the major events Martin Luther King did for this country and how he forever changed society. This is another great book to incorporate when merging social studies and ELA. I would use this book in many ways in the classroom like as an example of a great written informative text, or in teachi ...more
Mayumi Inoko
1.-Penguin; Who was...?; RL:3.0
2.-Time: 4/28=71min. 4/30=46min.
3.-7 words summary ; minister - White - Colored - segregation - Gandhi - march - dream
4.-Have you ever been to a church? How was that?
Actually, I have not been there so I want to know what has been doing. However I have been to some temples. I folded my legs under myself for a long time and listen to a Buddhist holy text.
It was hard experience for younger myself sitting like that but holding a memorial service for ancestors is signi
Haruna Saka
-Grosset & Dunlop, level3.0
-Time:10/30=20min,11/2=8min,11/5=65min
-7words summary:black-south-segregation-nonviolence-arrested-dream-speech
-Discussion Questions
1.If you were discriminated because of segregation, what would you do? Like Jr, could you fight with white people with nonviolence?
A.To be honest, I couldn't decide it. But, in order to live in the world, I would fight with people who want to get the human right together.
2.If you were one of the white people(I mean you weren't discrim
Christian
Martin Luther King was really good person who changed the civil rights of New York. He was marching at all over the world with black people and convincing them to help him out by changing civil rights or called the Jim Crow laws in the past. When Martin was a kid The Jim Crow laws bothered him a lot. Martin thought that these laws were unfair and they he had to change it. As a grown man Martin was sent to jail a lot of times because of the Marching around the world. This didn't stop Martin no ma ...more
Ayumu Sasaki
Publisher, Series, Level: Grosset & Dunlap, Who was...?, 3.0
Time: 90min.
7 word summary: black - brilliant - minister - gandhi - protest - movement - John F. Kennedy
Discussion Question
1). Martin entered a university in North, then he experienced better life in north. However, he faced the question whether he STAYED or WENT BACK though there was a worse place and there were a lot of problems he had to solve.
Which do you choose a better place to have priority over own life or a worse place to
Yuka Honda
Title-Who Was Martin Luther King,Jr.?
Time-12/15=40min,12/16=40min
7words-black,discrimination,civil right,speech,equal,leader,peaceful
Discussion Question-
1. Q. Even if white people discriminated against black people, he told his son not to hate them as a Christian to love everyone. How do you feel?
A. If I'm a black people, I will be angry and hate white people, so I think he was a wonderful people.
2. He said to many listers "I have a dream." in his speech. What do you have a dream?
Q. I have a d
Alexa Hennessey
I enjoyed this book and think its a great children's book. It is easy for children to be able to read and understand this story. This is something I think is essential for children to know and be able to understand about history. I like that the illustrations were in black and white because then it didn't take too much away from the story. I would recommend this book to kids around age 10.
This is the story of Martin Luther King Jr, his life and contribution to the world. It is a story that ever
Dolly
Jan 25, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their older children
This is the first book we've read in the Who Was/Is...? series of biographies for children. The books are written by many different authors and I had no idea how many of them there were out there.

Overall this was a fairly comprehensive book about the life of Dr. King. The narrative is lengthy and we read the book over several days. There are a few black and white illustrations scattered throughout the book and there are also a few separate blurbs about other people and topics that pertain to pa
Timothy Gan
A serious racial discrimination happened long time years ago in U.S. Martin was standing for the equal right. Great novel. Thumb up!
Hannah Deremo
This book gives a clear portrait of what these times were like and of Dr. Marking Luther King Jr. I think that this could be a very good book for a read aloud but could also be suggested to kids who want to read more about him. The text is accessible and it includes a timeline. There are discussion questions at the end of this book that can help guide class discussions or small group. It could be used as a book group book among students. Overall I really like this series of books as well. There ...more
Maren
I read the Spanish version and whoever edited it did a horrible job. Otherwise, I learned a lot about King and the Civil Rights Movement. When the kids get older, I'd consider encouraging them to read it.
Charlotte
Very interesting and helped me understand more why we have Martin Luther King day. He had a lot of courage.
Julian Chavez
liked it good author.
Ippei
-Grosset&Dunlap;Who was....?
-Time 10/11=100 minutes ; 10/12=25 minutes
-7-word summary: black - speech - Lincoln - assassination - words - dream - arrest
-Discussion questions:
1 If you had a chance to adress the nation, what would you talk about?
I would talk about Peace. This is because I wish World peace and hope all the people will be happy.

2 His speech was impressing. How about you?
Mine is not good. I want to learn more vocabulary to make good sentences.
Ryo Suzuki
Publisher: Penguin Group
Time: 11/3=60, 11/4=60
7-word summary: South-Black-Boston-Peace-Segregation-Freedom-Dream
Discussion Questions:
1. What do you think of segregation when you hear it?
When I went to Boston, I learned about segregation. It was a sad history in America.
I think segregation doesn't exist in Japan and I hope so.
2. Do you have a big dream?
Yes, my big dream is that all of the countries would be neutral countries like Switzerland!
Jackie
A realistic and concise portrait of a passionate man who believed in the civil rights of all men, Who Was Martin Luther King, Jr.?, is a biography for the younger reader. In it, they will learn about the Civil Rights Movement, the Nobel Peace Prize, the Watts Riots, and key figures of this important American time period.

Includes a Timeline of Martin Luther King Jr.'s life, a Timeline of the World, and bibliography.
Meghan
This is a good book for a read aloud. Currently reading it off the Nook app on my MAC to my 4th grade class. There are some drawings. The best part is the pace of the book and the side note connections to other important people, places events in MLK Jr's life. Great book to read to explain why student's get the day of school.
Brinli
This book was pretty good, I liked how it's in a cartoon like form. It shows the things he did and what made him really famous for; in high school this book really caught my attention because it taught me a lot just reading about Martin Luther King Jr. he has done so much especially speaking up for the people.
Sammy
Easy for children to read and understand who Martin Luther King Jr. and what he did for our country. I thought that it was a good book for young children to understand and could be used during black history month or just for a history lesson.
Lauren Schaffer
Grade: 3-4
Genre: Nonfiction
Awards: None
This is a biography of Martin Luther King Jr. I would discuss with the students what a biography is. Then I would have the students pair up and write a short biography about their partner.
Acton
Oct 26, 2010 Acton rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: chris
This book was realy good. I rated it five stars because I think its just a realy good book and he used a lot of perseverence. This book is one of my favorite books!
Caylee
i thought about this book before i read this book he was just to get arrested 2 times not like 10 because his a insentient guy he does not diverse to get arrested.
Savannah
I listened to Mr Kings I have a Dream speech and then read about him. The book helped me understand his speech and what an important man he was.
Kristin
Picked this up on a trip to Washington. I think the Mall has more meaning to her now. And, she remembers many of the details of his life.
Martin Luther King Jr. 1 6 Jan 12, 2010 09:31AM
  • Who Was Abraham Lincoln?
  • Who Was Helen Keller?
  • Who Was Ben Franklin?
  • Who Was Rosa Parks?
  • Who Was Amelia Earhart?
  • Who Was Mark Twain?
  • Who Was Marco Polo?
  • Who Was Sacagawea?
  • Who Was Albert Einstein?
  • Who Was Thomas Alva Edison?
  • Who Was George Washington?
  • Who Was William Shakespeare?
  • Who Was Harry Houdini?
  • Who Was Anne Frank?
  • Who Was Ronald Reagan?
  • Who Was Pablo Picasso?
  • Who Was Queen Elizabeth?
Bonnie Bader lives in Brooklyn, New York.
More about Bonnie Bader...
Pup-Pup-Puppies (Penguin Young Readers, L2) Who Was Christopher Columbus? Who Was Alexander Graham Bell? Great Uncle Dracula (A Stepping Stone Book) Who Was Robert E. Lee?