Start by marking “The Seduction of Silence” as Want to Read:
The Seduction of Silence

The Seduction of Silence

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  106 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Infused with the magic of India and the great mysteries of life, The Seduction of Silence follows the spiritual and emotional journeys of a remarkable Indian family through five generations.
Aakash, venerated sage and healer, is the founder of Prakriti -- an abundant farm in the Himalayas. From this soulful mountain home, his children embark on the journeys that will sway t
Published January 7th 2003 by HarperOne (first published January 28th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Seduction of Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seduction of Silence

Marion Grace Woolley
This is possibly my favourite book of all time.

It truly touches the soul.

The story follows three generations of an Indian family from the ayurvedic, Hindu lands of India, to a Spiritualist church in London. Hugely sad, funny, profound and intriguing. Unpretentious and beautiful to read.

Worth every penny. One of those rare books that I know I will always have a place for on my bookshelf.
Kathy Wright
Mar 16, 2008 Kathy Wright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story was reasonably enjoyable, although got a bit heavy in places. I probably enjoyed the "ambience" of rural India the most from the book. Basically a story of a somewhat complicated family history and the twists and turns the generations took. I also liked the quotes at the beginning of each of the four sections of the book.
Eileen
Aug 12, 2007 Eileen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mysticism/history. Multiple generations of a family beginning in India in the days of the Raj, passing through England in the time of the hippies & gurus and ending in Australia in modern times. Interesting from a cultural standpoint.
Doughnut
Jun 25, 2008 Doughnut rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book soothing for my current state of mind: it's about life and death, and family and loss, and how all of these things come together, fall apart, and come back together, in tragic, magical, and ultimately unimaginable ways. I'm still not sure I understand what the seduction of silence is, but one thing I know is that I feel calmer having read this book. For me, my sense of calm is the best way to understand the title. I want to believe that this author is very wise, that she knows ...more
Caroline
Sep 23, 2009 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Takes some time to get in to, but definitely picks up. An interesting cross-generational tale about the lives we are born in to, and the lives we seek. My only criticism is that although the story takes place across 100 years, the description of the larger context is unevenly described. In other words, with some sections, there is significantly more description about the political and social realities around them, where it is less so in other parts.
Amy Morais
Love the richness of the characters but towards the end the pace moved too quickly. In tying up the story lines, the main characters faded out and the newer generation came into view, slightly blurry.
Marge
Aug 15, 2013 Marge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much after reading it once I kept it. And I read it again about six years later (this year). Still love it! And I plan to read it again in the future!
Daviyd
Sep 12, 2008 Daviyd rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-n-liked
If you have never been to India or read books on the Silence, then read this incredibly rich story of a family touched by both on many levels through each generation...
Clare
Aug 11, 2008 Clare rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This saga of an Indian family was a calm, leisurely read and lingers on the edges of one's mind.
Lindy
Jul 03, 2012 Lindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great writer. I'll read anything she writes.
Julia
Jan 18, 2013 Julia rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books so far
George
Seem to dimly recall enjoying this.
Aaron
Feb 11, 2009 Aaron rated it really liked it
Warm and colorful!
Ravneet
Ravneet marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Sowmya Mahadevan
Sowmya Mahadevan is currently reading it
May 21, 2016
Woodenpoet
Woodenpoet marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Lynda
Lynda rated it liked it
May 08, 2016
Ahandal
Ahandal marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Jared
Jared marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Dea
Dea marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Rose Graham
Rose Graham rated it liked it
May 31, 2016
Jennifer Wellnitz
Jennifer Wellnitz rated it did not like it
Mar 07, 2016
Jess Miller
Jess Miller rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Marion
Marion rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2016
Lalit
Lalit is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2016
Kristie
Kristie marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Danielle Janda
Danielle Janda rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Captain From Castile
  • Mississippi Blues (Nanotech, #2)
  • Darjeeling: A Novel
  • Great Britain
  • Wrack
  • Betty Crocker's Slow Cooker Cookbook
  • A Flower Fairies Treasury
  • Darwin Slept Here: Discovery, Adventure, and Swimming Iguanas in Charles Darwin's South America
  • Talking to the Ground: One Family's Journey on Horseback Across the Sacred Land of the Navajo
  • Marshmallow Madness!: Dozens of Puffalicious Recipes
  • The Telephone Gambit: Chasing Alexander Graham Bell's Secret
  • Les Petits Macarons: Colorful French Confections to Make at Home
  • The Foie Gras Wars: How a 5,000-Year-Old Delicacy Inspired the World's Fiercest Food Fight
  • The Yoga-Sutra of Patanjali: A New Translation with Commentary