Start by marking “The Seduction of Silence” as Want to Read:
The Seduction of Silence

The Seduction of Silence

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Infused with the magic of India and the great mysteries of life, The Seduction of Silence follows the spiritual and emotional journeys of a remarkable Indian family through five generations.
Aakash, venerated sage and healer, is the founder of Prakriti -- an abundant farm in the Himalayas. From this soulful mountain home, his children embark on the journeys that will sway t
Published January 7th 2003 by HarperOne (first published January 28th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Seduction of Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seduction of Silence

Marion Grace Woolley
This is possibly my favourite book of all time.

It truly touches the soul.

The story follows three generations of an Indian family from the ayurvedic, Hindu lands of India, to a Spiritualist church in London. Hugely sad, funny, profound and intriguing. Unpretentious and beautiful to read.

Worth every penny. One of those rare books that I know I will always have a place for on my bookshelf.
Kathy Wright
Story was reasonably enjoyable, although got a bit heavy in places. I probably enjoyed the "ambience" of rural India the most from the book. Basically a story of a somewhat complicated family history and the twists and turns the generations took. I also liked the quotes at the beginning of each of the four sections of the book.
Eileen
Mysticism/history. Multiple generations of a family beginning in India in the days of the Raj, passing through England in the time of the hippies & gurus and ending in Australia in modern times. Interesting from a cultural standpoint.
Doughnut
I found this book soothing for my current state of mind: it's about life and death, and family and loss, and how all of these things come together, fall apart, and come back together, in tragic, magical, and ultimately unimaginable ways. I'm still not sure I understand what the seduction of silence is, but one thing I know is that I feel calmer having read this book. For me, my sense of calm is the best way to understand the title. I want to believe that this author is very wise, that she knows ...more
Caroline
Takes some time to get in to, but definitely picks up. An interesting cross-generational tale about the lives we are born in to, and the lives we seek. My only criticism is that although the story takes place across 100 years, the description of the larger context is unevenly described. In other words, with some sections, there is significantly more description about the political and social realities around them, where it is less so in other parts.
Amy Morais
Love the richness of the characters but towards the end the pace moved too quickly. In tying up the story lines, the main characters faded out and the newer generation came into view, slightly blurry.
Marge
I loved this book so much after reading it once I kept it. And I read it again about six years later (this year). Still love it! And I plan to read it again in the future!
Daviyd
If you have never been to India or read books on the Silence, then read this incredibly rich story of a family touched by both on many levels through each generation...
Clare
This saga of an Indian family was a calm, leisurely read and lingers on the edges of one's mind.
Lindy
Great writer. I'll read anything she writes.
Julia
One of my favorite books so far
George
Seem to dimly recall enjoying this.
Aaron
Warm and colorful!
rem
rem marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Sagar
Sagar marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Malerie
Malerie marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Waru
Waru added it
Sep 19, 2014
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Bethany Nelson
Bethany Nelson marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Anita
Anita added it
May 28, 2014
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Laylah
Laylah added it
May 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
There, Where The Pepper Grows The Final Christmas Heads Up Dandelions and Helicopters