Getting Open: The Unknown Story of Bill Garrett and the Integration of College Basketball

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Bill Garrett was the Jackie Robinson of college basketball. In 1947, the same year Robinson broke the color line in major league baseball, Garrett integrated big-time college basketball. By joining the basketball program at Indiana University, he broke the gentleman's agreement that had barred black players from the Big Ten, college basketball's most important conference....more
Published March 28th 2006 by Atria Books

Chad
Good book about basketball. If you liked Hoosiers you'll enjoy reading this book.
Kirk
I picked this up last Monday (4/21) at a great bookshop in Shelbyville IN called Three Sisters---only a partial tribute to Chekov given that the store is indeed owned by three sisters. Getting Open won the Best Books of Indiana Nonfiction Award in 2007, and it's a well-deserved reward: the book recounts the story of late 40s/early 50s star basketballer Bill Garrett, who took Shelbyville to the state champs and then was one of the first black players for the U of Indiana. Garrett died in 1974, an...more
Diener
Mar 13, 2011 Diener rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dave Shelles, Angel Holmes
Shelves: history, biography, sports
Most of us know of Jackie Robinson. But how many of us know of Bill Garrett? Whether or not you like basketball, or even sports, Bill Garrett's story is one that you must know. It both confounds and inspires, dampens the spirits and raises them. I do not remember reading a better "sports" book that so profoundly embodies the mid-20th century American experience.
Jpaflas
Really interesting book that shows Bill Garrett's arduous battle to be the first African American basketball player in the Big Ten well. It is also an interesting look at the old days of recruiting... they were probably sleazier than they are now.
Neil Sagebiel
I really enjoyed this story. My mom grew up in Shelbyville, Indiana, and went to the 1947 state championship game. My dad has told me Bill Garrett stories over the years. This book helped inspire me to write my first sports history book.
Greg
A great story finally told! A must read for any fan of basketball, history and integration. Go Hoosiers.
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Sam Nwadike
Sam Nwadike marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Emily Macdougall
Emily Macdougall marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2013
Sarah Collins
Sarah Collins is currently reading it
Jul 16, 2013
Cossandra Megerle
Cossandra Megerle marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2013
Damon
Damon added it
Feb 28, 2013
V
V marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2012
Pat
Pat marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2012
Joelm
Joelm is currently reading it
Sep 20, 2012
Multiple authors with the same name, this author is entered with 7 spaces.

Tom Graham grew up in Bill Garrett's hometown. He played basketball there and on the freshman team at Indiana University, so he knew many of Garrett's coaches, teammates, and fans. A graduate of Harvard Law School, he is an international trade lawyer in Washington, D.C.
More about Tom Graham...