Start by marking “The New Weapons of the World Encyclopedia: An International Encyclopedia from 5000 B.C. to the 21st Century” as Want to Read:

Weapons is one of the bestselling books on armament ever published. This definitive guide covers the entire history of weapons, from the earliest, most primitive instruments up to remarkable advances in modern defense and warfare. The new edition includes weapons used in Kosovo, Afghanistan, Iraq and the Israel-Lebanon conflict, such as:

· Improvised Explosive Devices
· Blac
Published August 21st 2007 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The New Weapons of the World Encyclopedia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Weapons of the World Encyclopedia

Peter
May 29, 2009 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-as-a-child
Ah, my first weapons reference book. Every boy needs one. Or needed, as the internet now provides the same and more info for free.

Even with the internet, you really can't beat a well-done book that lays out all the relevant information before you, no googling or wikipediaing needed. Plus the feel, the convenience, the reliability, and so on.

This book holds a special place in my heart, though. I have many fond memories of poring over entries again and again, marveling at the variety and power wit
Janrae
Aug 21, 2008 Janrae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have given this book five stars, however I had a few problems understanding some of the diagrams and think a few matters could have been explained better.

I do feel that it is a must have book for anyone who writes about weapons in settings from the Stone Age to the present. It contains a wealth of pictures and appears to be extremely thorough.
Joshua Galicia
This is definitely an encyclopedia, and not plot-driven literature in any way whatsoever, but I think it does provide a wealth of information on weaponry and obstacles used in the past 7,000 years. It's interesting to see the development of technology portrayed through the aspect of attack and defense.
Amar Pai
Oct 03, 2012 Amar Pai marked it as gave-up-on  ·  review of another edition
Loads of technical details and schematics, primarily concerned with categorization and specifications of like, the three main categories of breech loading artillery shell, by fuze, filling and function. Utterly dull.
Tyra Masters-heinrichs
I find this an excellent resource not just for writing sci-fi and fantasy, but also for naming. Its sits on the right hand side of my desk on the shelf.
Bubba
Mar 26, 2008 Bubba rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military
I've loved this sort of thing since I was in grade school. I was the creepy kid who would check out "Weapons of WW2" from the bookmobile.
Cloud
Cloud rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2013
Colin Willett
Colin Willett rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2009
Stephen
Stephen rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2011
Steve_long
Steve_long rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2013
James
James rated it really liked it
May 28, 2011
Akrabar
Akrabar rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2015
James Brady
James Brady rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2016
Nathaniel
Nathaniel rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2015
Ken Wheeler
Ken Wheeler rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2010
IAN A GREAVES
IAN A GREAVES rated it it was ok
Sep 10, 2014
John
John rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2013
Erin Holm
Erin Holm rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
J. Dallas
J. Dallas rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2013
Koen
Koen rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2010
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
May 24, 2009
Jason Simms
Jason Simms rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2014
Innate
Innate rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2015
H A
H A rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2010
J. Mulrooney
J. Mulrooney rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2014
Garth
Garth rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2013
Ali Yassine
Ali Yassine rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2013
Psychophant
Psychophant rated it liked it
May 23, 2011
Chris Wrathall
Chris Wrathall rated it it was ok
Jul 22, 2014