Start by marking “The First Time” as Want to Read:
The First Time

The First Time

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  1,720 ratings  ·  155 reviews
Expanding the scope of her storytelling as never before, "New York Times" bestselling author Joy Fielding delivers the novel that will captivate her devoted fans and win her countless new readers: an exquisitely tender and richly textured love story of astonishing emotional force. Behind the shiny facade of her seemingly idyllic life in Chicago, Mattie Hart feels as if she ...more
Published September 1st 2000 by Atria Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The First Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Time

My GR friend Brandie was so kind to send me this book! I liked it a lot, and I thought the author did a wonderful job of describing someone with ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease. I guess it wasn't AS much of a shot between the eyes as her other books, so for me it was a little lacking - but still really, really good.
Wanda Gibbons
I used what was on the site as I just want to remember the story line for my next encounter with Lou Gehrig's disease. Mattie's voice seems to hang on much longer than one might expect. You are lead to believe from Lisa's summation of the disease that Mattie will lose her ability to speak and not be able to ask for help but that doesn't happen. Having seen this is real life that was a bit difficult to digest and maybe it was just literary licence. Very touching story that goes places you don't e ...more
Ayu Wirdha
Ini buku udah lama bacanya tp sebelum kenal GR jd baru sekarang di review.

Sebenernya ini novel bagus banget, cara membuat alurnya, konfliknya berasa banget sampe hari ini (bertahun2 kemudian) saya masih merasakan rasa sedih itu.

Bagi saya ttp tdk rela tokoh utamanya meninggal (walaupun dgn damai) & sdh ikhlas jika suaminya bakalan married dgn selingkuhannya. Sebaik2nya selingkuhan ttp aja dia selingkuh & itu tdk dpt dimaafkan secepat itu. Aplg si selingkuhan cewek itu bener2 ngejar2 Jake,
This was the most wrenching story about love family, life. I was in tears, I laughter I loved the characters. I don't think I can take another story with such true to life issues and survive without a meltdown. To emotional for me. Loved it, loved Mattie, even loved Jake, it took awhile but it truly loved Jakes character, evan Cynthia Broome redeems herself for me
This is one of my favorite books, and I have read an innumerable amount of book, and have cried the majority of the way through each time. When the author introduces the characters, there are many you instantly scorn, however, she slowly draws you in to each of their personas and at the end you love them all. I felt like I was grieving for real people.
I didn't know this book existed until I came across it in my local library. A very touching love story about a married couple who, after some devastating news, fall in love for the first time. Dealing with some very sensitive issues, J.F. takes a good look at what makes relationships work and what makes them fall apart.
This was the first time I read a Joy Fielding book. Having an uncle with Lou Gherig's, I was crying through half the book realizing all he would have to endure with this terrible disease.

The love story is beautiful and unique. It was a fast read and one that I thought about quite a bit after finishing.
Stephany G
What a sad sad story. I've never read this author before, but have one other book of hers to read. This one had a little too much detail and inner dialogue for my taste but the story itself was good but made me cry like a baby.
Cármen Veloso
Absolutely beautiful. A very original and outstanding story told in such a touching way. It's almost ironic how ending in the expected way can be so unexpected and not clichê.
It is rare that a book yanks me from my ordinary existence and physically throws me into the world of the characters. A Novel of love and endurance which will leave even the most cynical trying to hide the inevitable tears. Joy Fielding has blown me away with the subject matter and the tangled relationships between the main characters. Three dimensional and true to life they struggle with all the elements that are guaranteed to strike a chord with every reader. I was especially sad to turn the l ...more
Buku percintaan lagi. Buku ini aku dapatkan dari diskon menarik di Gramedia Palembang pada November 2009. Aku kasih 4 bintang untuk karya Joy Fielding.

For The first time merupakan buku drama keluarga yang berjalan sangat membosankan apalagi bagian tengah, karena Joy Fielding menulisnya dengan monoton, tapi setelah disabarin untuk terus membaca ternyata buku ini sangat indah.

Sebenarnya aku tipikal cewek melankolis, yang akan termehek2 membaca kisah cinta yang menyentuh. Dan aku menangis sekali un
Von außen betracht hat Mattie Hart alles: Den gut aussehenden Ehemann Jake (erfolgreicher Anwalt), die fast perfekte Tochter und das Haus mit Pool, in dem sie sich mit schönen Dingen umgibt.

Doch der Schein trügt: Die Ehepartner leiden beide unter traumatischen Kindheitserlebnissen und Jake betrügt Mattie. Als Mattie einen Neuanfang machen will, kommt die fürchterliche Diagnose einer Krankheit hinzu, die nach und nach ihre Muskeln unbrauchbar machen wird, so dass sie nur noch kurze Zeit zu leben
The First Time was such an emotional story. Just emotionally addicting. I can't count how many times I cried and the moments when I needed to step back and collect myself.

The characters came to life and moved me. Their imperfections are not just in the past but in the present, with every action and decision making them real. It's a story about a couple trapped in a loveless marriage and instead of finding personal and marital fulfillment, Jake and Mattie Hart are strangers to one another. They s
Anne Marie
This was a powerful book. The main story was about Mattie, a wife and mother who finds out she has Lou Gehrig's disease. Even though her husband was planning on leaving Mattie for another woman and new life, he makes the right decision in staying and caring for Mattie, realizing he really loved her. I'm glad their daughter, Kim, has learned from her mistakes and has gotten closer to her dad and grandmother. I liked the true to life events in this book. Even though it was sad at times, in the end ...more
RhondaJ Nelson
Wow. This is nothing like any of the other books by Joy Fielding that I've read. I thought I would read a couple chapters this morning but ended up reading the whole book in one sitting. I liked the main character Mattie and her daughter Kim, I didn't like Jake at the beginning but started to warm up to him after his traumatic childhood was revealed and he started trying harder to work on their marriage. I cried several times while reading this book.
Rhonda Rae Baker
Emotionally charged novel...loved it!

There were so many things that I related to and the characters were true to life...(-:

I couldn't believe all the things happening in this story and as things moved along it was harder and harder to put the book down. So not to spoil the story, I won't tell you what happens but if you've struggled in marriage and wonder if there is any chance of'll be inspired by this one. It simply had my heart pumping faster and faster!

An easy read but complic
Absolutely heartbreaking, and a book I will probably never read again since it's forcing me to confront my own fears. This is actually testament to how beautifully this book was written. Once again, Joy Fielding delivers a powerful and evocative work of fiction whose characters are deeply compelling.
A touching story written well. First introduction to the author and I will be reading more of her novels. The story was emotionally driven and poignantly written. I did feel it was a bit predictable in places but due to the topic it was to be expected.
Sue Farrell
With all of this Facebook hoopla about the ALS ice bucket challenge, I recall I read a great book about this woman with ALS years ago. I have been trying to figure out the title all day and I finally found it on Google. I highly recommend it!
Woman diagnosed with ALS. Husband had many affairs, they were never in love but got married because she was pregnant. They learn to fall in love for the first time. Kind of dry and emotionless, I didn't really care about the characters.
A Cayouette
This is a very touching story about Jack and Mattie who had been married for 16 years. They fall in love for the first time after Mattie learned that she had Lou Guerig's disease. This book had me in tears.
Another spellbinding stunner from Joy Fielding! I'm so glad I found this author.

"After sixteen years of marriage, Mattie Hart, discovers that her husband, Jake-a high profile Chicago attorney-is involved in yet another love affair. But a far greater crisis descends upon the Hart family after Jake leaves home. Mattie receives devastating news that will alter their lives. Wracked by guilt, Jake returns to the wife he has never really loved and the teenage daughter who wants nothing to do with him.
Mahareni Maldini
Baca buku ini jd tertekan sndri.Si suami selingkuh,si istri selingkuh (mgkin buat balas dendam),si anak cwek mnyelundupkn cwok k rmh utk mlepas v-nya.Ketiganya tjd dlm 1 malam.

Memang mengharu biru sih,sm spt Rainwater-nya Sandra Brown d mana salah 1 tokoh utamanya sekarat krn penyakit dan mati.Sayangnya unsur selingkuh d buku ini bkin eneg banget!!!Aplg dbikin selingkuhan si Jake (si suami) smp nyusul pasutri ini k Perancis.Hiiiiii...pengin mencincang si jalang ini deh!Jg pengin nyunat si Jake!!
Amanda Rees
This story goes way beyond its description of a husband cheating on his wife. It's a story of courage and family love when the main character finds herself handed a death sentence with the terrible disease ALS. Couldn't put it down. Well done Joy Fielding.
Tear jerker extraordinaire, Kleenex required, love story but sad, sad, sad, With so much going on with the ALS ice challenge this is a story about ALS and how it affects a family.
Rhonda Ritchie-Warren
Love to read her books. Always a good story and heartfelt emotions. This saga entails a troubled marriage, infidelity, illness and explores the depths of love.
Rasha Ibrahim
A very original and outstanding story told in such a touching way. It's almost ironic how ending in the expected way can be so unexpected !
This was actually my second time to read this book. The previous time had been long enough ago that it was like reading it fresh. It is the story of a couple that married because she got pregnant. After sixteen years of marriage without love, they separate. But then as that is happening, she is diagnosed with ALS and given less than a year to live. He moves back in and cares for her and in the process falls in love, for the "first time". The toughest part for me to read this second time was the ...more
What will you do upon hearing that you only have one year to live? How will you tell your child/children? What about your spouse who has loved you all these years?

Fielding explores these feelings and emotions of Mattie and her family. Her husband is a lawyer who is about to make partner within his firm. He is working at his career trying to acheive his potential. All is going well in his life until he hears the news of his wife's disease.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. The other one
What to read after "The First Time"? 1 3 Jun 13, 2015 08:23PM
question 2 25 Mar 03, 2012 07:27PM
  • With Red Hands (Violet Eyes, #2)
  • Hexenkind
  • Unforgivable
  • Magnus
  • Seven Minutes to Noon
  • Last Gasp
  • The Fourth Child
  • A Perfect Marriage (Silhouette Intimate Moments, #621)
  • The Mill House
  • Der fremde Gast
  • Love Me Forever (Scottish Duo, #2)
  • An Accidental Woman
  • Fire and Rain
  • A Theory of Relativity
  • To Love a Dark Lord
  • The Wishing Game
  • Tear Stained Beaches
  • Duke of Scandal (Duke Trilogy, #2)
Joy Fielding (née Tepperman; born March 18, 1945) is a Canadian novelist and actress. She lives in Toronto, Ontario.

Born in Toronto, Ontario, she graduated from the University of Toronto in 1966, with a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature. As Joy Tepperman, she had a brief acting career, appearing in the film Winter Kept Us Warm (1965) and in an episode of Gunsmoke. She later changed her last n
More about Joy Fielding...
See Jane Run Still Life Charley's Web Mad River Road Now You See Her