Start by marking “Scoundrel in Disguise” as Want to Read:
Scoundrel in Disguise

Scoundrel in Disguise (Knave of Hearts Series #3)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  300 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Marcus Fitzalan adores Lady Jade Smithfield the minute he sees her; she despises him just as fast. Jade Smithfield's grandmother unwittingly sold a land option to the railroad before she died. Nevertheless, to keep the family secret and to save the downtrodden women in her care, Jade is determined to stop the South Downs Railroad from laying track on her property. To save ...more
Published May 1st 2006 by Five Star (ME)

To ask other readers questions about Scoundrel in Disguise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scoundrel in Disguise

Tracy T
Mar 16, 2015 Tracy T rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read. I liked Jade, the heroine a lot, her in her breeches. LOL The hero, Marcus was quite funny and handsome. They had some great chemistry together. A couple of nicely written sex scenes was a bonus.

There was lots and lots of great dialogue throughout the entire book. Love dialogue in my books. There are some great secondary characters.
The story line and plot were very good.

I believe this is the second book in the Knave of Scoundrels book, but some sites have it listed as number 3.
Darcy
May 31, 2010 Darcy rated it liked it
This was another cute book out of the normal for this author. Set the mid 1880's, the story is about Jade, who saves women and children who have been beaten and Marcus, who is trying to see who is sabotaging his families interest in building a railroad. Marcus's search brings him to Jade house where chaos reigns. He poses as an undercover man who is in charge of the house funds. Jade hires him and sparks fly between them. In between women showing up at random times, babies being born, mischief w ...more
Penny Watson
Oct 02, 2009 Penny Watson rated it it was amazing
This is my first non-witchy book by Annette. It was an adorable, funny, well-paced and touching historical. And it has wiener dogs!!!!!! Love that! I adore Annette's unique voice, although it was a bit more toned down here than in her contemporary paranormals, but still evident and highly enjoyable for me. I adored the hero and heroine...maybe even my favorite couple from all of her books! I think I'm ready to tackle the Amish romances next! Hee hee....
RedRedtheycallmeRed
This is definitely a more "modern" historical romance, so it won't be everyone's cup of tea. I liked it quite a bit. Jade and Marcus had great chemistry, I enjoyed their banter. Jade was understandably skittish, but Marcus was such a great guy, I adored him!

The supporting characters added a lot to the book, but not to the point of overshadowing the main storyline. I liked the fact that the book brought light to domestic abuse, something that there was little recourse for back then.

This is the si
Michelle
Jade and Marcus. He adores her as soon as he meets her, and tells her often. She has a couple of secrets that she is keeping from everyone (including the readers, but I knew what was coming) and I felt that the secrets were kept too long. "C'mon already!" I kept saying as I was reading. I loved all of the people that Jade was taking care of, they had become family.
Nanci de Suffren
This book touches on one of those subjects that, although we hear about it, unless experienced, people cannot know just how horrible it is - abuse. Yes, as always, there is a delightful love story here between a scoundrel and an independent woman but the circumstances of the story and the passion driving it is the overwhelming priority of protecting a group of damaged women and children. The author has absolutely captured the reactions of the women and children so tenderly that it often brought ...more
Anne
Oct 15, 2014 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical romance lovers
I like this author. This book started a bit slow and got so much better as it went along. a sweet story with some suspense, romance, a bit much pre-marital sex for my taste but the H and h were both delightful. Also good supporting characters-especially Beecher.
Maria Burgos
Sep 25, 2015 Maria Burgos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A twisting tale

I was swept up in the first few sentences. I tale of many hearts being thrown together at all turns
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Lady Jade Smithfield runs a home for battered and abused women which she inherited from her grandmother. She hires Marcus Fitzalan to be her man of affairs to discover what is going on with her finances. Jade does her best not to be attracted to Marcus but finds herself falling for him anyway. Marcus is head over heels in love with Jade but can't figure out what she's hiding. Marcus knows he must investigate the accidents for the railroad. Marcus asks his brother Garrett to come to Peacehaven. W ...more
Mary Dulaney
Apr 18, 2016 Mary Dulaney rated it liked it
Eh. Not very engaging, but it was OK. I'd guessed most of the plot lines early on.
Lissette
Oct 25, 2015 Lissette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's 3.5 stars really. ... Liked it, but somehow while I was reading it I felt like was reading parts of Sea Scoundrel.
Regina Butler
Jul 03, 2014 Regina Butler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Annette Blair's books. They are always good!
Linda Burns
Sep 13, 2015 Linda Burns rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Annette Blair never disappoints.
Dottiebears
While I didn't hate this book, I didn't love it either. This was the weakest book in this series so far. Didn't like either the h or the H. While the h wasn't TSTL she was definitely too irritating to live. The H was very one dimensional and really much too good to be true, he was more like a wax figure than a real person.

Looking forward to the last book in the series. Overall this has been an entertaining gprou.
Clarissa Boggs
Jun 06, 2016 Clarissa Boggs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
okay story,not as good as the first book in the series but still an okay read
Joni
Jan 21, 2013 Joni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been a fan of this author for many years and have read a lot of her books. I have to say this one is my favorite out of all her historical romance I have read. I absolutely loved this book. Marcus & Jade were perfect. Little Emily will grab your heart and you can’t help but love her. I laughed so many times and I cannot describe how much I enjoyed this book. I highly, highly recommend it!
Cecilia Rodriguez
Mar 24, 2016 Cecilia Rodriguez rated it it was ok
Shelves: annette-blair
The story is set in 1847, Sussex England, which is an issue, since Lady Jade Smithfield wears men's clothing. Blair ignores the social-political reasons for why some women started wearing men's clothing.
As this is a heterosexual romance, Blair total avoids the other reason why women of this time period would brave wearing men's clothes.
T.L. Gray
Jan 03, 2013 T.L. Gray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though clearly the same formula used in Sea Scoundrel, new cast of characters and plot, it worked. Why change what works? Even though I was able to see the ending coming a mile away, I was glued to pages until I reached that particular ending, and then wanted more. What can I say? I'm obviously a sucker for a good scoundrel.
Heather
Feb 19, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. The relationships between all of the characters were well written and developed nicely. My favorite was the bond between Marcus and Emily. I can not wait to read the final book in this series.
Dottiebears
Dec 29, 2012 Dottiebears rated it liked it
This was my least favorite of the series and wasn't near as good as Captive Scoundrel. Jade was not a very interesting or nice character and Marcus was pretty one dimensional and too good to be true.
Kbee
Liked it more than #2. Marcus is a happy go lucky guy. He as quite a humorous streak and a the kindess & softess heart. As for Jade, she needed a good shake more than once.
Victoria Newman
Jan 12, 2016 Victoria Newman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is a good book to read forever and ever since the heart of a great book to resd
Regina Butler
Jul 03, 2014 Regina Butler rated it it was amazing
I love Annette Blair's books. They are always good!
Tammy
May 25, 2013 Tammy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!! Looking forward to the next one in the series!!!
Pat
Jan 04, 2008 Pat rated it did not like it
Shelves: meh
Strong female character. Good plot.
Eleonora
Eleonora marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Ashley Barnes
Ashley Barnes marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Nilufer Nuhoglu
Nilufer Nuhoglu rated it it was ok
Jun 19, 2016
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Wendy A
Wendy A marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jul 23, 2015 01:36PM
  • To Win His Wayward Wife (Scandalous Sisters #3)
  • The Wary Widow (Wetherby Brides, #3)
  • Spring Fires (Beauvisage, #3)
  • Findley's Lass (Clan MacDougall, #2)
  • The Countess' Lucky Charm
  • The Wicked One (de Montforte, #4)
  • A Knight's Reward (Knight's, #2)
  • Carried Away
  • My Runaway Heart (The Man of My Dreams Series, #2)
  • A Scandalous Charade (Scandalous, #2)
  • My Lady, The Spy (Brethren of the Coast, #2)
  • To Tempt a Saint (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • His Not So Sensible Miss (A Gentleman's Guide to Once Upon a Time #3)
  • There's a Hamster in the Dashboard: A Life in Pets
196212
Annette Blair's romantic comedies owe their beginnings to a root canal and a reluctant trip to Salem Massachusetts. Though she had once proclaimed she'd never write a contemporary, she stumbled into the serendipitous role of Accidental Witch Writer on that trip. Funny how she managed to eat her words even with an aching jaw. Magic or destiny; Annette's Bewitching Romantic Comedies became her first ...more
More about Annette Blair...

Knave of Hearts Series (5 books)
  • Sea Scoundrel (Knave of Hearts #1)
  • Captive Scoundrel (Knave of Hearts, #2)
  • Holy Scoundrel