Start by marking “The Calvary Road” as Want to Read:
The Calvary Road

The Calvary Road

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  600 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
This is an updated edition of a book written by Missionary and evangelist Roy Hession in 1950 in which he profiles the nature of religious revival and lays out the prerequisites and consequences of the activity of God in the heart of the hungry seeker.
Published January 1st 1990 by CLC Publications (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about The Calvary Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Calvary Road

Zachary McIntire
Honestly, this is a book every Christian should read. It's not long, and even if you have only a few minutes a day to read, the chapters are self-contained, and fairly short as well. I recently went through it in a Bible study, and was reminded to review it after doing a review of "True Discipleship" by William MacDonald (another good book with a similar theme).

Many Christians pray for revival in the Church, and so we should. What I think we tend to forget is that, in the words of the old song,
Megan
Oct 28, 2011 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! What a powerful book! The Calvary Road developed from a series of brief paper/pamphlets that Roy and Revel Hession produced about the Message of Revival. God truly worked through the papers as they were originally printed and distributed as individual messages, so eventually they combined some of these messages into this publication. They recommend reading it a chapter at a time as that was how it was originally written and published. I think each chapter is so powerful that readers would b ...more
Valerie Kyriosity
Jan 01, 2016 Valerie Kyriosity rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was along the same lines as Continuous Revival in terms of content, but I found it less objectionable and more helpful.

Between these two books and a Voddie Baucham sermon and one or two other things it seems I've read or heard but can't think of off the top of my head, the theme of brokenness has been repeating itself in recent weeks. I don't think any of these sources has gotten it quite right, but they've obviously been conspiring to get me to think about it, and I'm happy to oblige. Her
Bill
Aug 19, 2013 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-life
I have wanted to read The Calvary Road for years, having heard it recommended often, so I was surprised when initially I struggled. The early chapters seemed to fall into a familiar trap – the gospel was taken for granted as the basis for everything that was said, but never directly addressed. As a consequence, I felt the burden of all that I was being called to “do” without having been reminded of all the Jesus as already “done” for me to make it all possible. Being called to a life of holiness ...more
Amanda Tero
Jun 15, 2015 Amanda Tero rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This ten-chapter devotional is powerful, leading the Christian to ponder their walk with the Lord. I could fill a whole review full of amazing quotes...but it is just worthwhile to read the whole book.

There was one main thing I didn't agree with how he worded, and that was his analogy of the dove and the Holy Spirit. I think that if you view the analogy as the dove being the PEACE of the Holy Spirit, it makes more sense, seems more in line with the Bible.
Konstantin
Jan 13, 2011 Konstantin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would recommend this book to anyone. The only thing that bothered me (and BARELY bothered me) is that the focus is entirely on being a bond-servant of Christ, which is true, but the author neglects the truth of also being sons and daughters of God. The relationship part is missing. But, seriously. Five stars. Megan
Oct 24, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
This is an excellent book about experiencing revival as a Christian. He painted great pictures on what traveling on The Calvary Road looks like. He also really helped me see why there is a separation between God & us when sins enter, but we're not humble enough to repent yet. When there is a strong relationship between you and God, peace & joy will overflow in you and into others too as you experience continual cleansing. It is not an easy read even though the font is so big and the book ...more
Tyler
Aug 26, 2016 Tyler rated it liked it
This is a great little book about personal revival. I have heard great things about it, and I know it has had a great impact. I was not personally overwhelmed by it, but the message is absolutely solid. Christianity is a life of ready repentance, being willing to confess sin when we see it and allow Christ to cover it. This of course is applicable to everyone. I wish it had gone more into life after being broken by the cross, but that was not its purpose.
Seth
Aug 05, 2016 Seth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good book!! It made me realize some things that if I implement them, will change my Christian life!! It is so simple to live the Christian life the way God desires but also so difficult because we have a flesh. I recommend that all who want to live Godly in Christ Jesus, and go beyond the norm get this book and read it.
Angie Tolpin
This is one of my all time favorite books. It receives a four star review because I wish it were longer. I have read and re-read this classic book on the Christian life multiple times in the past 13 years and find it to be an essential read for any Christ follower.

Some of the most significant points in this book discuss and point out the intrinsic correlation between our human ability to be transparent with our brother or sister in Christ and our selves, and ultimately our Lord. Hession, points
Stephanie Jensen
Jul 08, 2014 Stephanie Jensen rated it it was amazing
This book is one of my favorites. I read this book about 6 years ago and again this summer, and both times I felt conviction for my apathy and sinfulness but also hope that God is lovingly waiting for me to bend my neck and knees and repent so that He might revive my spirit.
Brett Fuglsby
Mar 17, 2016 Brett Fuglsby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one heck of a book. It's not that long of a book, so its quite compressed and hits, HARD. Roy Hession wonderfully argues the need of surrender in our life with Christ.
Heather Tomlinson
This book is short but sweet. It is convicting but inspiring. It's a great spiritual spring-clean, getting the cobwebs out. Read it when you're in a spiritual desert.
Wayne
Aug 31, 2014 Wayne rated it it was amazing
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Shorel Kleinert
Dec 20, 2014 Shorel Kleinert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple, but powerful little book. Particularly chapters 6,7 and 10. Helped me to see the particularly large beam in my eye, thank God.
Amelia Delrio
Jun 08, 2014 Amelia Delrio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book to read more than once. It will speak to you and change your heart toward our great God. A good devotional.
E-reader
Feb 06, 2014 E-reader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cut-to-the-heart reexamination of normal, everyday discipleship that demands brutal honesty about the condition of hearts.
Emma
Jan 28, 2016 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really great book about dying to self. Had to read for Impact and read on the plane there.
Jeannine
May 09, 2016 Jeannine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
I was reminded of this book that I read almost every year. Incredibly convicting book!
Conrad
Dec 17, 2014 Conrad rated it really liked it
This little book packs a punch. It is powerful and convicting and it brought me to my knees (the place I needed to be). If your spiritual life seems to be a valley of dry bones, then this is the book you need to read.
Sharon Zink
Oct 06, 2015 Sharon Zink rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
It depicted the Christian as constantly living in sin.
Eunice
Sep 05, 2009 Eunice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read it a few years ago, and I read it again this summer. Every time I read it, I am just so marvelled at how sinful, weak and easily fallible I am. Yet, God's grace is enough to sustain me, lift me up, and cover me even my hurts and sinfulness.

Calvary Road. The road Jeesus walked to pay the debt of my sins. The road I need to walk, following the footsteps of Jesus. The road I will never walk alone because I will be in constant fellowship with Jesus and fellow Christians, heading to Jerusalem,
Chrissy
Apr 15, 2015 Chrissy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great little book!
Brent McCulley
This book didn't do much for me quite frankly, and to be honest, the exhortations seemed more like the "Jesus Movement" rhetoric of the 70s about the "power of revival" etc.

Moreover, the thesis doesn't really scratch beyond whatever surface level reflections a fourth grader is taught in Sunday school. If you want a more sufficient and theologically convicting exhortation back to the cross, put down this book and pick up Dietrich Bonhoeffer's The Cost of Discipleship.

Brent McCulley
Sean
Feb 15, 2010 Sean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
Recommended to Sean by: Tommy Batson
Shelves: christianity
Hession's book, The Calvary Road is truly life-changing. Christians who feel as though they are missing something may find a small piece of it here. While I do not believe Hession's perspective on revival to be the complete summation of Christianity, his thoughts on service and brokenness are greatly needed among God's people today.

I recommend this book to Christians of all walks in life. If you know the name of Jesus, this look at His calling on your life should be eye-opening.
Crossroads Ecc
Excerpt from Chip Ingram's thoughts: "Genuine discipleship means you go to the cross and you die. Not sort of dies, not die to 90 percent of your agenda, but completely die. You say, “Lord, it’s not my money, my time, my dreams, my family, my career…it’s all yours.” You lay it all on the altar, no matter how scary that is, because God is good and generous and will give back whatever he wants you to have. Resurrection power won’t come into your life until you become a living sacrifice."
Elaine Graziano
The Title Says It All
By ErbyJones55 - November 9, 2013
I have never found a book, other than the Bible, to convict me as much as this little book has. If you want to see God work in your church give the powerful book to your friends. One of our Sunday School classes read and discussed what God was saying to them through The Calvary Road. Want to see revival? True repentance? Humility? Forgiveness? Love among the fellowship? Every page is loaded and powerful.
Franklin Tait
May 31, 2012 Franklin Tait rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I read this as a young believer. I don't want to pretend that I understood, by experience, all that he was trying to say, but he pointed me toward the truth that following Christ means dying to self and letting Christ be formed in me. It means humility and sub-mission to Christ and his mission. It means that Christ is the center of my life, and not me. It was a very powerful book for me and its message continues to be as pertinent to me today as it was then.
Kevin
Apr 01, 2015 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I can sum up the book in one sentence, it is "revival starts in our own hearts" before it can be anywhere else. This is a good book to self-examine your relationship with Jesus as it pertains to you as an individual and in a relationship context with one another.
Jeromy Peacock
A short book but very good. This book really speaks to me where I am at in my life right now. A great view on brokenness, repentance, and Jesus. If you need to get downwind of yourself (and you do) read this book because it will encourage and rebuke you at the same time.

5 stars = Yearly re-read
4 stars = Re-read eventually
3 stars = Very Good
2 stars = OK
1 stars = Pass on this one.
0 stars = Couldn't finish it.
  • Waiting on God
  • Done.: What most religions don't tell you about the Bible
  • Holiness Truth and Presence of
  • The Disciplined Life: The Mark of Christian Maturity
  • The Only Necessary Thing: Living a Prayerful Life
Roy Hession (1908–1992) was a British evangelist and author.
More about Roy Hession...

“The Lord Jesus cannot live in us fully and reveal Himself through us until the proud self within us is broken. This” 3 likes
“Revival is just the life of the Lord Jesus poured into human hearts. Jesus” 2 likes