Start by marking “Capital Beer: A Heady History of Brewing in Washington, D.C.” as Want to Read:
Capital Beer: A Heady History of Brewing in Washington, D.C.

Capital Beer: A Heady History of Brewing in Washington, D.C.

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Imagine the jubilation of thirsty citizens in 1796 when the Washington Brewery--the city's first brewery--opened. Yet the English-style ales produced by the early breweries in the capital and in nearby Arlington and Alexandria sat heavy on the tongue in the oppressive Potomac summers. By the 1850s, an influx of German immigrants gave a frosty reprieve to their new home in ...more
Published March 4th 2014 by History Press (SC) (first published February 24th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Capital Beer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Capital Beer

John
Garrett Peck has a knack for bringing to life nuggets of cultural history, and he has struck pay dirt again with his delightful new book on the history of beer making and beer drinking in the Nation's Capital. Peck begins with the very earliest brewers making English-style ales and porters in the late 1700s, covers the rise of the Germans and their lagers in the 1800s, and recounts the dramatic death and rebirth of D.C. beers in the 20th century. You'll find fascinating portraits here of the gre ...more
Chris Chester
Like most books on local history, Capital Beer is a little dry at points and doesn't quite plumb the depths like one might like. Even so, it's a pretty interesting read for those like myself who are really into the city's burgeoning beer business and want to know where it all came from, however indirectly.
Matthew
I really enjoyed learning the history of the local brewing industry in Washington DC. I ripped through this book in just under a week which is rare for me. The author kept me engaged and I had trouble putting the book down. The chapter on the current beer scene was a real treat as well.
Scott Salmonsen
This is an excellent read for anyone who lives in the DC area, and is a beer geek, like myself. Garrett Peck has again done his homework. Also, this book is not a "dry" history book (pun intended). Garrett writes in an entertaining, at times humorous, style, while passing along his knowledge of the brewing industry.

This is a new book, as of 2014, so the information on breweries and brewpubs in the DC area is very helpful as reference material. Also, I agree with the author in the opinion that DC
Chris Casey
A fun, thorough, and timely read for any DC-area beer lover. It will leave you thirsty.
Robert
While not the best written book in the world, I truly enjoyed this one. The author highlights a part of local history most DC residents don't know. I recommend this to all DC area residents that enjoy a cold beer.
Jeff Hancock
Interesting stories. it got a little tedious for me at times though. I did learn that DC Brau's brewer is also named Jeff Hancock. I look forward to meeting him one day.
Carlos Quijano
Carlos Quijano marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Rafi
Rafi marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Alex Quark
Alex Quark marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Ally P
Ally P marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Nate
Nate marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Raymond
Raymond marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Michael Rhode
Michael Rhode marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Paul Rinehart
Paul Rinehart marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Billy
Billy added it
Jun 24, 2015
Prohibition in Washington, DC: How Dry We Weren't The Prohibition Hangover: Alcohol in America from Demon Rum to Cult Cabernet The Smithsonian Castle and the Seneca Quarry The Potomac River: A History and Guide (The History Press) (DC) Walt Whitman in Washington, D.C.