Start by marking “Nothing Ever Happens On 90th Street” as Want to Read:
Nothing Ever Happens On 90th Street

Nothing Ever Happens On 90th Street

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  195 ratings  ·  38 reviews
write what she knows,"" young Eva takes the literary advice of her neighbors while adding a few embellishments that make her neighborhood seem much more exciting than she realized.
Published September 1st 1999 by Scholastic (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Nothing Ever Happens On 90th Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nothing Ever Happens On 90th Street

Alexandria Stephens
Nothing Ever Happens on 90th Street is a story about a young girl named Eva who is asked to write about her home. Eva encounters writers block and believes there is nothing special about her home, so she has nothing to write about. Eva struggles to find the beauty in 90th street, and wonders if she will ever find anything to write about. This book can really be an aid when teaching about voice. Each story should have its own voice. Readers should be able to hear the voice in the characters. Roni...more
Julian Franklin
Eva is a young writer who thinks that "Nothing Ever Happens On 90th Street." After taking her neighbors advice, Eva takes the time to watch what is happening on her street. She ends up seeing a lot more than she expected and it turns out she has a lot to write about just by looking. I would use this story as a way to encourage my writers. When they aren't sure what to write about, they can simply take some time to watch the world around them and decide what to write. It is important to be observ...more
Carol
Levonne Gigger
Nothing Ever Happens on 90th Street by Roni Schotter is a delightful story that many people can relate to: Eva feels like there is nothing particularly special about the place she calls home. When given an assignment to write about what she knows Eva struggles to find anything worthwhile to write about. The reoccurring anthem ensues: Nothing Ever Happens on 90th Street. What will Eva ever find to write about?

The author makes good use of tension, voice, words, beginning and ending. The choice of...more
Miss_Nelson
Eva creates a tale about the "nothing" happening in her neighborhood by taking advice from people she knows. Each character offers a different suggestion for how to make writing better.

Some excellent examples of characterization, description, alliteration, dialogue and plot development. This book links to a lesson on WritingFix about using the characters' suggested techniques to write a story with quality details. Here's the link: http://writingfix.com/Picture_Book_Pr...

There's also a lesson usi...more
S
This is such a perfect springboard for a writing lesson. The artwork is not my favorite kind of style.
Hae Sun
This book about a girl writing about her street which is full of things that happen even though she believes that nothing ever happens. It teaches students to be observant because things are always happening. This book also teaches students that there is always something to write about if you just look for them.
Nadia
Great book to teach kids about extending their writing and making something that seems ordinary stretch a little to make a good story. I know of a teacher who read this to her class before an activity the next day where her 4th graders were going to be 'Observation Experts' and go around the school observing things in different classrooms. The goal is to have them turn the mundane everyday activities they see into an interesting story, and Eva's experience in this book was a great way to introdu...more
Esther
Awesome, awesome book to use for writing workshop. Eva's teacher instructs her to write about what she knows, but she feels like nothing ever happens on 90th street. Everyone on the street gives her advice on how to write, encouraging her to write about whatever she's feeling, whatever she's interested and run with it!

This book just can't be a better example to use when giving your students tips and strategies on how to write, and I will definitely be using this with my 1st graders in my future...more
Nielson
This would be a GREAT story to use if you were teaching a writing lesson! It would be a great intro into brainstorming for how you could get ideas and then embellish those ideas. Some of the drawbacks: there are a lot of words on each page so it would take a while to read. The illustrations weren't my favorite style, but they were still detailed and fun. It was overall an entertaining read. I think kids would like it to help them prepare for a writing assignment.
Toby Anderson
This book is an excellent book for Language arts teachers. The premise is that a Eva complains that nothing ever happens on her street and she has nothing to write about. However, through a series of incidents started by Eva's thinking, in one day people meet each other. She is there to record it. It is great to stimulate students to look around them, to see the little things they might not notice, using them as topics.
Ruth Ann
As Eva sits on the stoop with an open notebook, she tries to remember the advice from her teacher: "Write what you know!" As Eva struggles to come up with a story, various neighbors offer advice and Eva begins to use her imagination to produce a story with action, a touch of romance, and a happy ending! Use as an introductory book to the writing process, having kids analyze the story for writing tips.
Yadira
This is an awesome book about a girl who has to write a story, but doesn't know what to write about because nothing every happens on her street. She tries to use her imagination, but she has writer's block. Then because of one small incident a world of possibilities open up. This is a great book for teaching children how to expand on their writing skills and for teachers to teach about creating writing.
Lynn
Cute idea for encouraging reluctant readers to show that just writing what seems to everyday events can have value, as well as giving specific ideas for willing writers, such as using metaphors, and the senses. One problem is the number of times Eva says, "What if..." I counted four, the text says three. Collage illustrations are fun and convey the fun, crazy mood of the day.
Karen
As a teaching tool for writing, this is a gold mine. If you simply sit and read the whole book at once, it certainly could be long-winded and, frankly, a bit pointless. However, with questioning and good, guided focus on the writing strategies presented by characters of the book, the second half of the book becomes an entertaining example of powerful, punchy prose.
Jennifer Park
I love this book. A girl gets down because she feels like there is nothing to write about and that her neighborhood is boring. But in the end there were actually so much she could write about. While interning, students always had difficulty thinking of a topic to write about. So, this is a great book to show that there is always something to write about.
Rachel
Jan 19, 2011 Rachel added it
Shelves: writing
Target Trait: Ideas
Secondary Traits: Organization, Voice

This book address what many student's complain about, "I have nothing to write about." Eva wanders through her neighborhood looking for things to write about for class. As she goes around different people offer her words of wisdom. This picture book can be used for a focus on writing.
Kami Huff
*Picture Book* Eva finds where she lives incredibly boring. But after the influence of her neighbors, she makes things happen and comes to love where she lives and her friends involved. There is a really good moral about not complaining, and doing what you want to do and make it happen.
Nina
Eva is trying to write a story, but as she sits on her front stoop she doesn't know how she is going to because nothing ever happens on 90th street. As the day unfolds many different things DO happen on 90th street and Eva is right there to write them all down.
Megan Coloutti
This realistic fiction book portrays a street that supposedly has no excitement. Then the main character discovers all of the potential once she starts writing about it. This is a great book to help students get ideas about how writers come up with their ideas.
Abby Clark
I read this to my students when I hear them say, "I have nothing to write about." Great for teaching them to find writing ideas in everyday life and the things that surround them. However, it is a little long and some of my students loose interest.
Brittany
This is a great tool for teaching students how to write! This book, when taught in the right manner, teaches students how to use detail, alliteration, simile, metaphors, idioms, hyperbole, and adding "spice" in your writing.
Miss Leacock
Jun 27, 2010 Miss Leacock marked it as to-read
Minilessons on the book jacket: Write about what you know, Observe carefully and don't neglect the details, Find the poetry: a new way with old words, Use your imagination, Ask what if?, Add a little action
Ryan
This book is perfect for using in a elementary school writing workshop to help get kids started (definitely something to use in the first week of school)
Kelsey Sohrweide
Great book to introduce/reintroduce the writing process to students in a fun way through the story of Eva and what happens right on her own street.
Emily
picture book
really good! It was a good book to give kids ideas of what to write about. I would use this in my classroom.
Sara
I like to use this book for writing. This book gives some advice and we analyze the advice for our writing.
Jennifer Fountain
Use as a writing lesson when students say "nothing ever happens" or they have "nothing to write about,"
Linda Ulleseit
Great tool for showing kids how to imagine, using events from their own lives.
Amy
For when students say they don't have anything to write about
  • The Important Book
  • Come On, Rain!
  • Roller Coaster
  • The Plot Chickens
  • Shortcut
  • The Girl's Like Spaghetti: Why, You Can't Manage without Apostrophes!
  • Voices in the Park
  • Fly Away Home
  • My Mama Had a Dancing Heart
  • Ralph Tells a Story
  • Fairly Fairy Tales
The Boy Who Loved Words F Is For Freedom Mama, I'll Give You the World Doo-Wop Pop Captain Bob Sets Sail