Start by marking “A Just and Upright Man (James Blakiston, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Just and Upright Man (James Blakiston, #1)

Read Excerpt

A Just and Upright Man (James Blakiston #1)

It is 1763. James Blakiston, overseer of Lord Ravenshead's estate and a newcomer to the Durham parish of Ryton, is determined to solve the mystery of old Reuben Cooper's murder - but he has no idea how to go about it. As enclosure threatens to make the poor even poorer, Blakiston follows one misguided hunch after another. The only thing that he can really be certain of is ...more
Published November 27th 2013 by Mandrill Press (first published May 23rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Just and Upright Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Just and Upright Man

Billy Buttons
Aug 10, 2015 Billy Buttons rated it it was amazing
This book was recently entered in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards. This is what our readers thought:

Title: A Just and Upright Man
Author: R J Lynch
Star Rating: 5 stars
Number of Readers: 26
Readers’ Comments
‘A thoroughly enjoyable historical mystery with a drop of romance. Lots of twists and turns, a powerful opening and a satisfying ending.’ Male reader, aged 50
‘Well researched mystery. I loved the setting: England during the 1700s at the time of Enclosures. Fascinating. A strong mystery and a numbe
Lisa Brown
Jul 06, 2015 Lisa Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“A Just and Upright Man” kept me occupied during the long flight from London to Toronto. Historical Fiction is my genre and I enjoy a good mystery … throw in a little romance and you have the perfect combination.

I had a bit of difficulty getting into the story but am glad I persevered. I enjoyed the character development of most of the characters, although some of the interactions with a couple of them lacked believability for me. Perhaps it was simply their ages (quite young), but I felt some d
Kate
Feb 11, 2015 Kate rated it liked it
"I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads"

An enjoyable book, that I found to be a well-constructed and thought out mix; combining historical facts, murder, forbidden love interest and the daily living of both the upper and lower classes.
The characters and setting for this book have been matched well together, in that you could imagine that this really did take place in 1763.
Lynch has also left the potential for other books to be written in the series, as a couple of the chara
Jessica Powell
Aug 17, 2014 Jessica Powell rated it it was amazing
Blakiston, forced to work for a living as a result of his father's squandering of his inheritance, is a driven man, intent on uncovering the murderer of Reuben Cooper, one of his employer's tenants. But for every piece of information he uncovers, a dozen new questions arise...

I really enjoyed this, both as a piece of historical crime fiction, and as a slow burning romance. The intricate subplots kept me turning the pages, and the period setting and detail was spot on - from the harsh realities o
Simon
Feb 21, 2014 Simon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I tend to be quite critical of historical fiction but really couldn't fault this. The plot is very intriguing and the backdrop to the story well researched. I read it over a winter weekend in front of the fire and couldn't help but think how things change with time. I think the author did really well to capture the period in which it is set.
Danni
Feb 11, 2014 Danni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of historical fiction this hits the mark for me. Great plot, grounded in good research, brilliant characters, which you quickly find yourself relating to and well written. What more can I say, a big thumbs up here!
Melissa ownsbey
Jan 07, 2015 Melissa ownsbey rated it it was amazing
the cover is very beatful
very satafying to the eyes to read
this is a book everyone must read
ive read a few of this authors books and im never disappointed
hes very talnented
this book is very very good
Diane
Feb 14, 2014 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This a fine historical murder mystery that captures the time it is set in perfectly. The characters are vivid and the settings really well described with well written dialogue that brings each one to life. A very engrossing read throughout.
Paul
Sep 04, 2014 Paul rated it it was amazing
This was an enjoyable book. It combined the mystery of a murder to be solved, a romantic interest developing and the daily living of both the upper and lower class people. With the mention of some characters going to America, it was a good lead into the next book.
Ragan White
Sep 09, 2016 Ragan White rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

I love historical fiction and a good mystery and this book did not disappoint! Great plot and interesting characters. This is just a really good, well written story. I would definitely recommend this book.
Clare Scanlan
Nov 05, 2014 Clare Scanlan rated it really liked it
Well written, good characters, great plat. What I most enjoyed about this book was the real insight into what life was like before and after the Acts of Enclosure. A really good background in social history. Well researched. Very enjoyable.
Caroline Anastasia Mccaskill
Caroline Anastasia Mccaskill rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2014
S.F. Hopkins
S.F. Hopkins rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2014
Tim
Tim rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2015
Mimi Lala
Mimi Lala rated it it was ok
Mar 11, 2015
Nachiketa
Nachiketa rated it liked it
May 12, 2015
Louise Walsh
Louise Walsh rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Imad Sadouk
Imad Sadouk rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
May 17, 2014
K.C. Carlton
K.C. Carlton rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2014
BookishDreamer
BookishDreamer marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2013
cariedaway
cariedaway marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Steelwhisper
Steelwhisper marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2013
Kelly Smith
Kelly Smith marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
grumpyoldbird
grumpyoldbird marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Corrine
Corrine marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
R.J. Lynch
Jan 10, 2015 R.J. Lynch added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Jen Juniper
Jen Juniper marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Hesta Rafuse
Hesta Rafuse marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Jeanette
Jeanette marked it as to-read
Daniela
Daniela marked it as to-read
Elena Zinonos
Elena Zinonos marked it as to-read
Nicola Fantom
Nicola Fantom marked it as to-read
Pankaj Goyal
Pankaj Goyal marked it as to-read
Frederick Rotzien
Frederick Rotzien marked it as to-read
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Carla Lobosco
Carla Lobosco marked it as to-read
Trish Hodnett
Trish Hodnett marked it as to-read
Julia Conway
Julia Conway marked it as to-read
Anamaria021
Anamaria021 marked it as to-read
Michael Lawman
Michael Lawman marked it as to-read
Alan Dawe
Alan Dawe marked it as to-read
SARIT
SARIT marked it as to-read
Lena Liberato
Lena Liberato marked it as to-read
Mohanan Nair
Mohanan Nair marked it as to-read
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Charush Gupta
Charush Gupta marked it as to-read
Maxine
Maxine marked it as to-read
Noavk
Noavk marked it as to-read
Genre Specific Re...: John Lynch 1 7 Nov 14, 2014 01:54AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add new source 3 20 Nov 02, 2014 10:57PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add alternate cover 5 19 Jul 19, 2014 06:27AM
  • The Quest (Mariposa, #1)
  • Slave in Training (The Slave, #1)
  • Subaltern on the Somme
  • Rough Beast
  • Tales of Men and Ghosts
  • Lifting the Wheel of Karma
  • Half a Man
  • Not a Man (The Shuki Series, #1)
  • Angel: Reverse (A:R Earth, #1)
  • The Object of His Affection
  • Mayhawk: Rising (Mayhawk #1)
  • Doggy's Busy Day
  • Angel of Death (The Third Throne #2)
  • Re-Submission (Sub-Mission #2)
  • Steam-Powered 2: More Lesbian Steampunk Stories
  • The Rashomon Tea and Sake Shop
  • Gold in the Sunshine: A Story of the Old West, and Trials of the Civil War
  • Recipe for Submission
I was first published in 1982 and since then have published a number of books, both fiction and non-fiction. Historical detective fiction and historical romance are a new direction for me and I have adopted the pen name R J Lynch for a series of five books set in County Durham, England (with one in the revolutionary American colonies) in the 1760s. The first in the series, A Just and Upright Man, ...more
More about R.J. Lynch...