Start by marking “Where the Indus Is Young: Walking to Baltistan” as Want to Read:
Where the Indus Is Young: Walking to Baltistan

Where the Indus Is Young: Walking to Baltistan

One winter, Dervla Murphy and her six-year-old daughter Rachel walked into the Karakoram mountains in the frozen heart of the Western Himalayas and along the perilous Indus Gorge. Accompanied only by a gallant polo pony, they encountered conditions that tested the limits of their ingenuity, endurance, and courage. Hair-raising, gloriously subjective, and with the quirky vi ...more
Published February 1st 1995 by HarperCollins UK (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Where the Indus Is Young, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where the Indus Is Young

Sphinx Feathers
A beautifully described book, but sometimes overly long and sometimes the narrator was distinctly unlikeable due to the treatment of her own child. I also went back and forth on her description of the various peoples of the ranges - sometimes very flatteringly and sometimes almost sub-human.
Vanya
Apr 29, 2012 Vanya rated it really liked it
such a formidable and blatantly honest lady. she can bring me places where I would probably never will get to, a book (like her other books) impossible to put down.
Kathryn
Jun 15, 2008 Kathryn rated it liked it
As usual, Dervla Murphy amazes me in her ability to adapt and flourish in new environments. In this book, her six-year-old daughter adds to my amazement by joining Ms. Murphy in hiking around in the Baltistan region of the Karakoram Mountains (part of the Himalayas) during the winter of 1974-1975. Despite my amazement, however, I found this tale to be less engaging than some of Ms. Murphy's other books, as she repeats herself quite a lot and doesn't go into as much political/historical detail as ...more
da-wildchildz
Feb 13, 2014 da-wildchildz rated it really liked it
After reading On a Shoestring to Coorg, I was a little apprehensive about reading another of Murphy’s books but I believe in second chances, so I gave this one a go and was glad I did because it was much more enjoyable. Travelling in the wilderness is something I’d love to do but never will. However, Murphy took me on an epic journey with her descriptions of place and people. As with On a Shoestring to Coorg, Rachel provided the comedy and I was amazed how mature she was as a six year old on a t ...more
Pam Boardman
Oct 24, 2016 Pam Boardman rated it really liked it
An excellent book. A friend lent me this book, because I had just come back from trekking in Kashmir in an area near to the area in the book. The description of her journey was fascinating. It was interesting to see how different the area was when she was there. She was very determined to visit this area in winter and for a long period of time.
I didn't think it was a good idea to take her 6 year old daughter with her. Also she didn't take much food with her, and therefore had to depend on the
Linda
Jan 29, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it
Dervla Murphy takes adventure travel to a new height: the idea of walking along the Indus into the Pakistan Himalayas and their valleys with a six year old IN WINTER has never popped into my mind. (Even the child loses lots of weight during this particular excursion.)

Interesting observations of a fearless (or nearly so; when her daughter's pony rears up on a narrow ledge far above the frozen river, dangling the child over the edge, her heart DOES skip a beat) woman who truly loves the cultures s
Sergio
Mar 16, 2011 Sergio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the book because it reads like an adventure story. All the while cheering for the daughter to survive without any adverse affects. Miss Murphy had the perfect attitude to travel to a far away place and be able to enjoy the people and the scenery. Sad there are no such places to visit any longer.
Jodie
Jun 23, 2013 Jodie rated it really liked it
Beautifully written. I would love to meet Dervla - she is so pragmatic in her adventures and shows such an amazing strength of character in the ways she manages to overcome any difficulties with such verve. What an inspiring lady!
Derek Henderson
Jan 09, 2015 Derek Henderson rated it liked it
A hair-raising and at times horrifying journey. Ms Murphy doesn't shape her material enough (at all?) for my taste, but it's certainly arresting at times.
Joanne
Jul 02, 2007 Joanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting travel book about a woman travelling in the Kashmir in winter with her six year old daughter.
Vanessa
Very good! Excited to read more of Dervla Murphy's travels, both solo and with her young daughter. What a feat!
Barbara Curson
Oct 23, 2016 Barbara Curson rated it it was amazing
A fascinating journey into the heart of the Baltistan with her 6 year old daughter in 1978, in winter!
Carolyn Amson
Apr 23, 2013 Carolyn Amson rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all time favourite travel books. Having travelled in this region before, I go back again and again to bring back memories.
Rhiannon
Rhiannon rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2013
Jon
Jon rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2010
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2012
Justine
Justine rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2007
Paul Madden
Paul Madden rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2012
Chrisj
Chrisj rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2012
Jeanette Rosinger
Jeanette Rosinger rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2016
Guy Gor
Guy Gor rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2012
Siobhan Markwell
Siobhan Markwell rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2014
Bill
Bill rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2012
Gavin Malavolta
Gavin Malavolta rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2013
Sonya
Sonya rated it it was ok
Dec 09, 2011
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2015
Nita
Nita rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2017
Hannah Finch
Hannah Finch rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2009
Susanne
Susanne rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2013
Elke
Elke rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Hall of a Thousand Columns
  • Slowly Down the Ganges
  • Empire of the Soul: Some Journeys in India
  • Slow Boats to China
  • In Search of Genghis Khan: An Exhilarating Journey on Horseback Across the Steppes of Mongolia
  • Personal Narrative of a Pilgrimage to Al Madinah And Meccah: Volume 2
  • Arabia
  • A Journey in Ladakh: Encounters with Buddhism
  • Among the Tibetans
  • Journey To The Centre Of The Earth
  • In Xanadu: A Quest
  • The Lost Heart of Asia
  • Plain Tales from the Hills
  • The Carpet Wars: From Kabul to Baghdad: A Ten-Year Journey Along Ancient Trade Routes
  • Clear Waters Rising: A Mountain Walk Across Europe
  • Night Train to Turkistan: Modern Adventures Along China's Ancient Silk Road
  • The Blue Nile
  • Tent Life in Siberia: An Incredible Account of Siberian Adventure, Travel, and Survival
Dervla Murphy is an Irish touring cyclist and author of adventure travel books for over 40 years. She is best known for her 1965 book Full Tilt: Ireland to India With a Bicycle, about an overland cycling trip through Europe, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan and India.

Murphy is a famous speaker and writer on Palestinian issues. She seeks the dissolution of Israel in its entirety.

Murphy normally travels
More about Dervla Murphy...