Okie, Dokie Artichokie

Okie, Dokie Artichokie

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  7 reviews
"Hey, if I get too loud or something, you can just bang on the ceiling and let me know," Marklee says to his new downstairs neighbor, Artichoke. But he never thought that someone could be so sensitive! No matter what Marklee does, from watching TV to talking on the phone, Artichoke bangs on the ceiling. And then he won't answer his door when Marklee tries to talk to him ab...more
Published September 15th 2003 by Viking Juvenile

Regina
Marklee is super excited to have a new neighbor downstairs, and quickly introduces himself. He tells the new friend, Artichoke, that if he is ever disturbed by Marklee's noise above him, he should just bang on the ceiling.
Pretty soon though, no matter WHAT noise Marklee makes, Artichoke is always banging!
How rude.

Or is it.

This was an adorable book about how sometimes what we think about people, can easily be cleared away if we take the time to talk about it.
Mari
Marklee the Monkey is happy to welcome his new downstairs neighbor to his apartment building - a giraffe named Artichoke. Marklee wants to make sure he is quiet enough, and tells Artichoke to bang on the ceiling if he's too noisy. But Artichoke bangs on the ceiling all the time! Even when Marklee is being especially quiet! The pictures help kids undertand most of what is happening (leaving a little surprise for later), and will help them root for the two to become friends in the end.
Katie Jackson
Artichoke the Giraffe always hit his head and Marklee thought he was a grumpy old man. Marklee was mean for snubbing Artichoke but I am glad they ended up being friends. This book teaches readers not to assume someone is doing something intentionally. I would use this book to teach the children to get to the bottom of the story and not jump to conclusions, because some children think everything is on purpose.
Tricia
Loved the message (it's easy to assume if we don't ask questions) but found the story to at times drag a bit.
Kelly
Dec 21, 2011 Kelly added it
This book is cute and two 5 year olds actually sat through it enraptured.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
A great story about jumping to assumptions and misunderstanding.
Samantha
Marcia
Marcia marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Leo
Leo added it
May 26, 2014
Anastasia
Anastasia marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Cat Fletcher
Cat Fletcher marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2013
claire
claire marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2013
Anna Yip
Anna Yip marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2012
Andrea Haas
Andrea Haas marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2012
Where the Mountain Meets the Moon The Year of the Dog Starry River of the Sky The Year of the Rat Dumpling Days