Puff, The Magic Dragon (Book & Cd)

Puff, The Magic Dragon (Book & Cd)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  1,892 ratings  ·  185 reviews
Welcome to Honalee, an enchanted land of imagination and love. In this special place, you can share in the playful adventures of Jackie Paper and his childhood friend, Puff, the magic dragon.

Peter Yarrow of the beloved musical group Peter, Paul and Mary and co-writer Lenny Lipton present their timeless song in an unforgettable children's book. Become lost in artist Eric Pu...more
Published by MacMillan Children's Books (first published August 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Puff, The Magic Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Puff, The Magic Dragon

Dorcas
I loved this book as a child of 6 being read to by my mum.

But....

It is soooo sad and I remember howling my eyes out til I could hardly see straight. I wouldn't let her stop reading though; I had to know what happened (even though I knew what happened because hey, what kid born in the seventies didn't grow up being lulled to sleep by Peter Paul and Mary, right?)

Anyway, as an adult, we know that Puff is a metaphor for childhood imagination but as a kid it goes whoosh over your head and all you k...more
Jared Burton
Yarrow, Peter. & Lipton, Lenny. Puff the Magic Dragon. New York: Sterling Publishing Company Inc., 2007.
Genre – Fiction, Dragon Tale.
This book is based off the old song known by most, Puff the Magic Dragon. This version tells the tale of a dragon who plays with his friend Jackie Paper. They do everything together until Jackie Paper grows up and Puff the dragon. In this book however it seems that Jackie Papers daughter comes to take Jackie’s place as the dragons best friend.
This book is a v...more
Michelle
I know this is a classic (or whatever) but I just didn't like it. The illustrations were beautiful paintings, but it's such a sad story! This magical dragon gets forgotten by his friend because his friend grows up. Judging by the pictures, it seems that another child comes along soon to play with him, but it never even says that in the story. It's sad and not fun to read. The copy we got from the library had a CD in the back, but as soon as the song started, my toddler told me to stop it because...more
Ruby Patel
Puff the magic dragon - even the title gets a child excited! Magic AND dragons?! This story is taken from a song which I remember singing quite joyfully as a child! The story has followed through from here and tells the story of a dragon named Puff who lives by the sea, he and a little boy go on a variety of magical adventures, but when the little boy grows up Puff is left feeling lonely but when a girl comes along curiously looking into the cave it all changes. The artwork is lavished in dark g...more
Linda
This 50TH BIRTHDAY edition of the song written in 1959 by Peter Yarrow and Leonard Lipton is a delight for the eyes in this wonderful picture book. It is a special reminder of a song that many (in my age bracket) sang and sang again and still do today. Although the song has some sadness to it, this storybook version has a new ending. Puff, the Magic Dragon was originally sung by Peter, Paul, and Mary in 1960. They continued to sing it at concerts for years and years to come.

The song is the stor...more
Cara
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this! I love the way that the book ends. The song ends so sadly, yet the book's illustrations paint a totally different (and sweet) ending! There is a CD that you play while you flip through the pages and it is just so sweet. I think (actually, I know) that I loved it even more than the boys did! This was a great, random find at the library.
Michael D.
This a great read for teaching phonemic awareness in the category of rhyming. It is also an excellent read for teaching the value of friendships. This fantasy poem is wonderful for addressing standards which focus upon phonemic awareness.
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
My mom went to high school with Paul Stookey, of Peter, Paul & Mary who wrote & sang this song. I think everyone knows the song.
dee
I have not listened to the cd yet but the book was beautiful. I still wonder about Little Jackie Paper though.
Chris Ward
I bought this book to read with Scarlett and Roxanne, remembering the song from my childhood. The picture book is a HUGE success, especially with 4-year-old Roxanne who has to read it (and listen to the song) every night at the moment.
The illustrations are absolutely fantastic, particularly because the end of the story is given a gentle lift (Spoiler Alert!) when we see Jackie Paper returning to introduce his daughter to the lonely Puff, who is obviously delighted to have a new friend.
Very high...more
Stef Rozitis
Ok so I am biased by the fact that this book and CD calms my preschoolers down, focuses, engages and makes them more rational. They are very attracted to the book and the songs separately or together.

I have learned to love books you can sing in any case, but this one has a beautifully peaceful presentation and even though it features the difficult theme of death (which has caused some questioning) it does it in a way that is not too much in the children's face and doesn't take over except when t...more
Jose
Pure amazingness! I love the story and every time I read it I end up singing the song...
Puff the Magic Dragon was one of my favorite stories as a child, though the version I had was that by Romeo Muller (Avon Books, Oct. 1979). My dad would sing the words to me as he flipped through the pages of the book. As a child I found the fact that the story ended sadly intriguing. In fact, as a 5-6 year old, my interpretation of “[o]ne gray night it happened, Jackie Paper came no more,” was that the Jackie Paper had died – a much more tragic conclusion than actually intended (that Jackie gre...more
Melissa Gross
Puff the Magic Dragon by Peter Yarrow is a fantasy book about a young boy and his dragon friend. This book, as simple as it is, has a clear message the is great for kids. First, having a friend to do everything with is key in a child's life. Whether that friend be human or dragon, or real or make-believe. In this book Jackie Paper loved Puff as his best friend. They did everything together and had numerous adventures. Throughout the book it is implied that they are best friends whom will never p...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
In the 1960s Peter Yarrow and Lenny Lipton wrote the song "Puff, the Magic Dragon", and it has become embedded in white western culture ever since. I can still remember sitting on the carpet in kindergarten, singing the lyrics while someone played it on the piano. Not until 2007 was this book version created, though, which surprises me. I guess I had always assumed it was a book first.

It's a sad tale, though there's hope in it too. Puff and his friend, a human boy called Jackie Paper, sail the w...more
Karen
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week, because, you know, there was a dragon on the cover.

There was no disc in our copy of the book because it was a library book. I remembered the tune and the refrain to this song, so I started singing it. I didn't remember the last verse, so that caught me off guard. At first I thought that Jackie died, but as I keep singing it was clear that Jackie just grew up and Puff was forgotten. The text, because it is the same as the song...more
Heather
I liked the illustrations in this book for the most part. The pirates were a little too jolly and fat but aren't we all? My boys liked the dragon and it wasn't a bit scary.

So we read it and then listened to the CD that comes with it and looked at the pictures. I hear weird sounds coming from one of my sons and I look over and he's BAWLING. He's so upset that the dang kid leaves his best friend, Puff. The book shows how a little girl does befriend him though so he's not alone anymore, but golly....more
Samantha cole
Feb 26, 2008 Samantha cole rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone, even adults
ooo, this book is great for illustrations! and there is a cd at the back that sings the song (alex knows the words and sings it to me). the storyline is only slightly modified for the times---there is a girl put in at the end, possibly to not deter girls from enjoying this book, i don't know. and they also modified the song to include girls. i know they were just trying to be p.c., but it's a tad annoying. but the artwork is so beautiful, and it's one of my favourite songs from my era (no commen...more
Kimberly
Jan 27, 2008 Kimberly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of the song, adventurous kids
Recommended to Kimberly by: Children's BOMC
Shelves: onceuponatime
I've long been a fan of the Peter, Paul & Mary song, so I ordered this book for my son...and, well, me! The artwork is beautiful...lots of blues and greens...the written words are the song lyrics, word for word (except for the addition of "girls" to "A dragon lives forever, but not so little GIRLS AND boys." The pictures tell a slightly expanded story, of Jackie Paper all grown up, and perhaps it is his little girl that is now Puff's new friend? Made me tear up just a bit.
The version of the...more
Kimberly
The version of the...more
Jeff Loewi
The spirit was nice but I'm disappointed. Some 20 years ago I wrote the verse below because I was one of those people who needed a happier ending. I sang it for friends and family and everyone seemed pleased to say the least. I sent the lyric to PP&M about 15 years ago but was told thanks but no thanks. I prefer the spirit of my lyric. If you do feel free to share it.

Early summers morning Puff heard familiar sounds
Children playing in the lane and no one else around
He snuggled up close by the...more
Shelli
I’m sure over the years I have heard Puff, the Magic Dragon played numerous times, yet never really listened to anything other than its famous chorus. This picture/audio book adaptation is beautifully done and shows there is much more to this coming of age, circle of life tale than just its refrain.
Kimberly Plyler
This book was okay. I don't think that it had a very interesting plot but it does include a CD with songs that go along with the story which would keep students engaged.
Katie
A really good adaptation of one of my favorite childhood songs. The pictures are wonderful, and the text is true to the original song -- with one exception ("A dragon lives forever, but not so little GIRLS AND boys") -- and that change actually works.

My only complaint is that the CD that comes with the book doesn't include the original version of the song. Instead, it features Peter Yarrow, his daughter and a musician friend. It's a fine recording, but I would much rather have had the original.

B...more
Suzanne Moore
I bought this for my grandson when he was 5yrs. old
He loved the accompanying CD and learned the song perfectly after only a couple of listens. Along with the song the story is based on, Peter Yarrow sings "Froggie Went a Courtin'"
There is also a Caldecott book based on this song ... (Frog Went A-Courtin')

The artwork in Yarrow's book is definitely enchanting! I like the message too ... about the wonder of a child's imagination and keeping it alive as an adult.
Michelle
A favorite from my childhood and it's the 50th anniversary with a CD!
Snorkle
This book had such an intriguing cover, so I was kind of excited to read it. But when I read the first couple of pages, I felt my excitement fly away. It was a very simple story - too simple, in my mind. I also felt like the text could have elaborated more and some of the lines were repeated several times. The illustrations were sweet, but because they weren't fully supported by the story, it was a let down. I wouldn't recommend this book.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blo...more
Kerri Harshaw
Puff the Magic Dragon is a classic story that has been told through books, movies, songs, and orally. The illustrations in the book bring the characters to life! Teaching students the song for the repetitive line “Puff the magic dragon, lived by the sea, and frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honalee,” will allow students to participate in a new and fun way when helping read the book. The story also deals with a friend that grew too old to be Puff’s friend anymore, but not to worry, P...more
Alyssa
Coming across this new version of an absolute childhood fave yesterday, was an insightful moment. Memories of playing and re-setting the needle on this 45 as a child again and again- crying mournfully with the neighbor-my-best-friend-sister, washed over me nostalgically, wistfully. Beautifully illustrated and simply written (Tis just the song...), this is a must have for all the little peeps in your life. A story about outliving a beloved companion is relevant and real.

This book comes with four...more
Stacy
Oct 09, 2008 Stacy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stacy by: Kelly
Shelves: children
I've heard the song a hundred times, I realized I had neglected to teach this wonderful childhood staple to my 5 and 7 year olds, we read it at a friend's house.

What I especially like about this is how the illustrations imply at the end, that after "Jackie Paper came no more" and "Puff that mighty dragon sadly ceased his fearless roar" there is hope - he finds a new playmate.

My daughters wanted this "AGAIN!" immediately after reading (singing) it.

The hardback version comes with a CD, we did not...more
  • Your Favorite Seuss
  • Baby Beluga
  • Cha-Cha Chimps
  • King Jack and the Dragon
  • Mama for Owen
  • Mary Engelbreit's Mother Goose: One Hundred Best-Loved Verses
  • Who Took the Cookies from the Cookie Jar?
  • The Dragons Are Singing Tonight
  • Take Me Out of the Bathtub and Other Silly Dilly Songs
  • Truckery Rhymes
  • Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star
  • The Little Drummer Boy
Day Is Done The Peter Yarrow Songbook: Sleepytime Songs Puff, the Magic Dragon Pop-Up Book The Peter Yarrow Songbook: Favorite Folk Songs The Peter Yarrow Songbook: Songs for Little Folks

“Puff, the Magic Dragon, lived by the sea, and frolicked in the Autumn Mist in a land called Honah Lee, little Jacky Paper loved that rascal Puff, and gave him strings and sealing wax and other fancy stuff.” 31 likes