Nebenwirkungen

Nebenwirkungen

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  4,459 ratings  ·  187 reviews
Before Woody Allen set his sights on becoming the next Ingmar Bergman, he made a fleeting (but largely successful) attempt at becoming the next S.J Perelman. Side Effects, his third and final collection of humor pieces, shows his efforts. These essays appeared in The New Yorker during the late 1970s, as he showed more and more discontent with his funnyman status. Fear not,...more
Published by Rowohlt Tb. (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Nebenwirkungen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nebenwirkungen

Sparrow
Woody Allen has that way of writing awkward attractions and selfish motivations that is forgiving and neat. He ties up the loose ends, but then at the same time, there is always an absurdity to the tying up. The characters will probably never be content, but somehow I, as their audience, am left content through the catharsis of watching Allen’s characters self-destruct. Despite the dissonance in the character relationships, what was secret is now in the open, the bad guy is murdered or permanent...more
Caris
Woody Allen is fucking brilliant. He is a sensitive subject, though. Which makes no sense to me at all. I remember one day telling my old boss of my fondness for the man’s work and receiving a disgusted look in return, as if I had professed to buying used underpants off of the Internet. She told me she would never watch the man’s movies after what he did.

“What did he do?” I asked, eyes as wide as a newborn doe.

“He married his daughter,” she said before she stalked away.

I was perplexed. Initially...more
David
Just finished reading Camus's The Outsider and the book was a peqrfect antidote for the intensity and gloom. Wait a minute, Allen has kind of an existential point of view but through comedy. I recommend pairing the two writers.
Stephen
As much as I love Woody Allen, I always felt his short stories work best when he isn't going for the serious-with-punchline-style, as evidenced in The Kugelmass Episode. My Apology and The Query are hilarious; Fabrizio's: Criticism and Response is brilliant. A food critic analyzes a restaurant like it's a film or a piece of literature.

The Lunatic's Tale features one of my favorite punchlines: "My first wife was brilliant, but had no sense of humor. Of the Marx Brothers, she was convinced the amu...more
Nawel
After watching many of Allen's movies, I was more than pleased to read this humorous collection of ALLEN's short stories . His prose is the same as the dialogue that gushes from the characters mouths in his films!

An interesting journey through the absurd mind of such an eccentric nervous genius that enables you to think and laugh at the same time!

Clare Bear
Jan 10, 2008 Clare Bear rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Clare by: Me
Woody Allen has me laughing out loud long after I have finished reading. Apparently I even laugh in my sleep after reading him.
Fidel
Un humilde consejo de lector, Woody, maestro. Un libro no es como un monólogo de humor en directo. No puedes pretender que quien te lee se ría cada dos frases. Y menos recargando el texto con bromas fáciles y planteamientos estúpidos que no conducen a ningún lado. Así sólo consigues que se asombre de tu ingenuidad.
Vale, que a veces las bromas son muy concretas, y que sin un contexto compartido son difíciles de pillar. Pero tío, es que te sobras. Son las típicas bromas de "voy a quedar de intelig...more
Kathleen
Smart? Sure, but just not that funny to me. I was scalded by Allen's apparent hostility and disgust with the whole human race, it just leaks out all over like some caustic material that would require a hazmat team response. Ugh. Rampantly misanthropic.
Vanessa
Let's just say that his neurotic wit made me forgive the prejudice I held against the perversity of marrying your own daughter... even if she's adopted.

P.S. I'm currently re-reading this for the 10th time.
Leah
He's the last of a dying breed. Some people celebrate that fact, but I don't. Cozy up with a vodka tonic, wrap yourself in a warm blanket of self-loathing, and dig into this.
Jane Stewart
Pretty good. Several laugh out loud moments.

My main problem was the narrator Woody Allen who is also the author. He did not pause enough. When I was having a laugh or thoughtful reaction, he sped onto the next item. That was frustrating. Several times I had to stop the tape so I could savor the humor and not quickly forget it. If he were standing before an audience he’d stop for the laughs.

DATA:
Unabridged audiobook length: 3 hrs and 35 mins. Swearing language: mild with Jesus Christ used about t...more
Jake
Woody Allen is so good at what he does, whether it's films or books, apparently. He understands slapstick as well as he does solemnity, just as he knows the dance between thoughtful philosophy and throw-away absurdity. This is the first book I've read of his, but I've been a huge fan of his movies for years (as is everyone else who has ever read this book).

The first few stories are wackier than those that come later (still so good), but it seems like Allen figures out what he set out to do prett...more
RØB
Apr 30, 2013 RØB rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to RØB by: Eric Von Damage
I felt like the overall quality of the stories in SIDE EFFECTS was more even, or more evenly good, but I don't think any of the individual stories is (for me) as good as some I liked from GETTING EVEN. Standouts for me were THE SHALLOWEST MAN (due in part to the ending, which is basically just commentary on the story by a bunch of different people who ultimately throw their hands up at the whole thing), and THE QUERY which begs the important and boggling question of just exactly where some of th...more
Don
Dreadfully unfunny stuff. The humor is on the level of a slightly clever twelve-year-old, going for obvious gags - but occurring, as much as possible, every single line. That sort of thing might work for a roast, or other live-delivered gigs, but that style is completed unsuited for short stories. Consider the following paragraph:
The trial, which took place over the following weeks, was like a circus, although there was some difficulty getting the elephants into the courtroom. At last, the jury
Hunter Freiburg
Woody Allen is one of my all time favorite movie directors, recently I found out that he had several books of short stories and plays, SIDE EFFECTS is the first I read of his. Just like his films, his writing is over the top and hilarious. Side Effects was original because of the way it was done. It's a compilation of short stories, but no two are the same. All over the place with content and style, but all in a good way. Side Effects is definitely the strongest book I have read by him. Highly r...more
Tony
Allen, Woody. SIDE EFFECTS. (1980). ****. This was the last collection of Allen’s pieces from a variety of periodicals – mostly the New Yorker – which tended to be longer and more thought-out than the earlier stuff. The wit and inanity is still there, but it is more under control. These pieces were planned, less spontaneous. This isn’t to say that they weren’t funny, it’s just that – in general – the humor was more mature. This volume gives us pieces like, “The UFO Menace,” which gathers all of...more
Sonya
So Woody makes fun of a lot of things... like food critics, fear of death, intellectuals, infidelity (of course), falling in love, whiny wives, existential crises, and for some reason, Abraham Lincoln's long legs. He makes a lot of heavy references in light manners such as philosophers (good ol' Marx, Schopenhauer), literary kings (Proust, Flannery), and historical events (Holocaust, European invasions).

I don't really find this a light read despite the fact it's under 250 pages. You're going to...more
Agbonmire Ifeh
Woody Allen is the biggest boss, his wit his legendary and is creativity is above par. "The Kugelmass Episode" was the icing on the cake the story was so enjoyable that I was angry that it finished. I was laughing like a mad man as I read the book in a bus and I was getting puzzling glances. The stories are what fiction should be a beautiful journey, a good summer, a big harvest. This book ranks in my top list of book to reread all the time.
Lloyd Scott
Either you like woody allen or you don't, I have always liked him and I still do, the man is amazing. This is one of his first books that he ever wrote and I love it, it is like he is reading it to me. The man is a genius and hysterical, I love his vision, his comedic prowess, his dramas, his films and his wit; I went to a high school in Los Angeles in a jewish neighborhood so I can never get enough Jewish jokes from woody allen.
Debjani  Banerji
This was my first experience with a Woody Allen book . Loved it for its quirkiness and a "different" sense of humour. Loved the story about the man who goes back into time to find the "perfect' woman, retribution, the Needleham case. Highly recommended with people who have a sense of humour and who love things that are not sane. Don't look for anything "normal" in this book. You wont find any!
Leftbanker
I practically grew up reading Woody Allen’s great comedy books so I was thrilled to be able to listen to him reading them in these audio editions from Audible. These gags are my tribute to Woody Allen.

With Our Condolences

In this popular feature we share with you the week’s top obituaries from across America.

Arthur “Artsy-Fartsy” Copsky, director of the scat horror classic I Know What You Had for Dinner Yesterday: Corn, died peacefully in his sleep on Thursday. Unfortunately, he was driving a sch...more
Steven Belanger
Laugh-out-loud funny, as was Without Feathers. "My Speech to the Graduates" is anthologized everywhere, including in serious collections of essays. You have to be able to separate the person from the art in order to truly appreciate his genius, but I can understand those who insist that they just can't do it. But he truly is a genius, a word I don't just throw around.
Emanuella
Не ми допадна. Опитах се да си представя, че Камен Донев ми разказва несвързани и небивали истории, но пак не ми беше забавно... Имаше 2-3 интересни разказа, но предпочитам филмите му. Българското издание е пълно с правописни грешки, които са почти на всяка страница. Дразнещо е.
Javad Khodadadi
چند داستان کوتاه طنز به سبک خاص وودی آلن
حقایقی که دوست دارند خواننده را بخندانند اما لبخندی تلخ برلبانش جاری می‌کنند!!
در کل دوستداشتنی بود
Christos Bouras
The problem with woody allen's world is that you can't participate, it's an invented world. It was difficult for me to understand all of his jokes and remarks, and for the most of his stories the plot was a little bit confusing. It's not only his writings that are too sophisticated for me, but the combination of philosophical abstracts with jokes make me feel unconfortable.
Nevertheless, I prefer him as a director than author.
As a conclusion, it's not a bad book. Short stories with fancy contex...more
Marcela
Až vyrostu, chci být Woody Allen.
Arda Aghazarian
I listened to this as an audio-book which was a little strange because Woody Allen is such a talker it feels like he's actually there. I kept visualizing us as some stranger-than-fiction couple living together in a small apartment: He's occasionally brushing his teeth in the bathroom while talking, he's chopping liver in the main room while talking, he's sleeping with the neighbor on the sofa while talking, and at some point I'm fantasizing about strangling him while he's still talking and I'm w...more
Leanne

I am a huge Woody Allen fan. I adore his movies, and I really wanted to be madly in love with this book, but I wasn't. It was funny--I laughed aloud quite a few times--but only about half of the stories were really memorable, and the last one, Retribution, actually had me a little bit bored. It was an enjoyable, quick read, but isn't on my list of favorites.

My favorite story from the whole book (a sort of dialogue/sketch, really) was My Apology, where Allen imagines himself as Socrates dying for

Susie
classic, awesome, surreal woody allen - though I think this would have potentially made a better audio book read BY woody allen since every story begs for his signature narration.

"What advice would I give the average home-owner to protect himself against burglars? Well, the first thing is to keep a light on in the house when you go out. It must be at least a sixty-watt bulb; anything less and the burglar will ransack the house out of contempt for the wattage....If it happens that you are going o...more
Claire
I read three quarters of this book and then couldn't take any more of Woody's rambling. I was surprised as I enjoy his movies but I will never touch any of his writing again. The only thing that made me chuckle was the last line of his about the author, "His one regret in life is that he is not someone else."

Reading other Goodread reviews, other people love this book. However, generally when one doesn't enjoy an author they don't force themselves to read the book like I did.

Woody Allen and Tim...more
  • SeinLanguage
  • How to Talk Dirty and Influence People
  • The Sugar Frosted Nutsack
  • Blue Boy
  • Fierce Pajamas: An Anthology of Humor Writing from The New Yorker (Modern Library Paperbacks)
  • The Onion's Finest News Reporting, Volume 1
  • Dave Barry Slept Here: A Sort of History of the United States
  • The Broke Diaries: The Completely True and Hilarious Misadventures of a Good Girl Gone Broke
Woody Allen (born Allen Stewart Königsberg) is a three-time Academy Award-winning American film director, writer, actor, jazz musician, comedian and playwright. His large body of work and cerebral film style, mixing satire, wit and humor, have made him one of the most respected and prolific filmmakers in the modern era. Allen writes and directs his movies and has also acted in the majority of them...more
More about Woody Allen...
Without Feathers Getting Even Mere Anarchy The Complete Prose مرگ در می‌زند

“Kugelmass, unaware of this catastrophe, had his own problems. He had not been thrust into Portnoy's Complaint, or into any other novel, for that matter. He had been projected into an old textbook, Remedial Spanish, and was running for his life over a barren, rocky terrain as the word tener ("to have") - a large and hairy irregular verb - raced after him on its spindly legs.” 15 likes
“I was in bed at my beach house, but could not sleep because of some fried chicken in the icebox that I felt entitled to. I waited till my wife dropped off, and tiptoed into the kitchen. I remembered looking at the clock. It was precisely four-fifteen. I'm quite certain of this, because our kitchen clock has not worked in twenty-one years and is always at that time. I also noticed that our dog, Judas, was acting funny. He was sanding up on his hind legs and singing, 'I Enjoy Being a Girl.' Suddenly the room turned bright orange. At first, I thought my wife had caught me eating between meals and set fire to the house. Then I looked out the window, where to my amazement I saw a gigantic cigar-shaped aircraft hovering just over the treetops in the yard and emitting an orange glow. I stood transfixed for what must have been several hours, though our clock still read four-fifteen, so it was difficult to tell. Finally, a large, mechanical claw extended from the aircraft and snatched the two pieces of chicken from my hand and quickly retreated. When I reported the incident to the Air Force, they told me that what I had seen was a flock of birds. When I protested, Colonel Quincy Bascomb personally promised that the Air Force would return the two pieces of chicken. To this day, I have only received one piece.” 11 likes