Start by marking “Der vergrabene Spiegel: die Geschichte der hispanischen Welt” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Der vergrabene Spiegel...

Carlos Fuentes

Der vergrabene Spiegel: die Geschichte der hispanischen Welt

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  580 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
From the mysterious cave drawings at Altamira to the explosive graffiti on the walls of East Los Angeles, images in Spain & the Americas speak to us of the astonishing richness & vitality of Spanish culture. Now Fuentes, an internationally renowned novelist & diplomat, provides a unique history of the forces that have created this remarkable culture. 157 illust ...more
Published (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Der vergrabene Spiegel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Der vergrabene Spiegel

Sudenly
Nov 30, 2012 Sudenly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
La historia de América de por sí es fascinante, de la mano de Carlos Fuentes descubrimos más que acontecimientos y fechas, vemos todas esas cosas por las que están influenciadas y nos recuerda que estos hechos no están aislados... A través del arte, literatura e incluso arquitectura nos explica el origen histórico de nuestra identidad y el éxito de la continuidad cultural de hispanoamérica.
Terence Clarke
Sep 11, 2012 Terence Clarke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carlos Fuentes is an iconic writer for those interested in Central and South American literature/writing. This book is a series of essays that intend to explain how the Spanish conquistadores and the Indian and, later, Black populations of the southern Americas have engaged in a 500 year-long exchange, resulting in a unique, multi-layered, extremely vibrant culture of its own. Fuentes does not short-change the suffering undergone by those who were conquered. Nor does he soft-pedal the extraordin ...more
Adrian
Oct 06, 2009 Adrian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting overview of (mostly) Mexican history since the time of Cortes. The book examines the impact on the indigenous Indian culture of Mexico ways of being and thinking imported from Spain and traces how the modern day country of Mexico precariously balances between those two inheritances.
Alejandro Teruel
Maravillosa reflexión sobre el desarrollo de la cultura hispana e hispanoamericana. ¡Muy recomendado!
Yvette
Apr 23, 2015 Yvette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro muy recomendable. Enriquecedor. Una obra interesante, completa y sintética del problema cultural latinoamericano.

Carlos Fuentes intenta de manera positiva y concisa en lo que cabe, escribir la historia de America Latina- incluyendo desde sus raíces, hasta
sus matices y problemas económicos, políticos y sociales, que juntos engloban lo que Carlos Fuentes llama como cultura. Cabe mencionar que de
entrada el termino cultura ha sido un tema bastante puesto en cuestión. La razón es que el ter
Nicolas Acosta
Jun 18, 2015 Nicolas Acosta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Reading Carlos Fuentes's historical essay of the Hispanic world (written to occasion the fifth centennial of Columbus's voyage) gave me a strange sense of nostalgia. Like sipping tequila after dinner late into the night with a long-lost uncle who tells family stories I've never heard but piece together an image of who I am and where I came from. The genre of the historical essay--which I'm deciding to define here as a highly interpretive survey with broad brush strokes and no footnotes--is a tri ...more
David
May 04, 2012 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. If you want to read an amazing account of Spain and Latin America this is your book. Originally written to celebrate Columbus' 500th anniversary, it was made into a television series. I only wish I could have seen the series (Amazon lists only the first show on VHS for a mere $120).

Yes I am a huge Carlos Fuentes fan - I have read about half of his books - so I am biased but the wonderful tone and respect Fuentes has for history makes you realize that this is a huge subject and he takes noth
Hana Alharastani
I had to read this for one of my college courses and honestly, I was not a very big fan of it.

The professor used this to teach us about Spanish history, and I do not believe this was a good book to choose. Though the text is very rich and insightful, Fuentes is very bias against certain cultures, using much negative connotation. He would pick and choose what he wanted to talk about and leave out other major contributions depending on what he favored.

The only thing that was good about the book
Eduardo
Jan 17, 2016 Eduardo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Como suele suceder, un extranjero (en este caso mexicano) nos explica mejor qué subyace en o qué fundamenta la tremenda popularidad del toreo en España y fuera de ella:
"Es también, no lo olvidemos, un evento erótico. ¿Dónde, sino en la plaza de toros, puede el hombre adoptar poses tan sexualmente provocativas? La desfachatez llamativa del traje de luces, las taleguillas apretadas, el alarde de los atributos sexuales, las nalgas paradas, los testículos apretados bajo la tela, el andar obviamente
Todd Stockslager
Jun 09, 2015 Todd Stockslager rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Famous Hispanic novelist writes broad brush cultural and political history of the connection between Spain and Spanish America--the "New World" of the subtitle.

He shows how the three threads of Spanish history in 1492--feudalism fighting toward central monarchy, Christianized Europe fighting against the Islamic outpost on the Iberian peninsula, and the three peoples of the Book--Jews, Christians, and Muslims--fighting for survival and cultural footholds in the rebirth of knowledge in the Rennais
Nan
Jun 14, 2012 Nan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Wow. I thought that history was boring, but this guy made me change my mind. It makes the reader feel interested in the past, in the origin of our current culture and how it was determined so many years ago and it's changing every passing day. I'm so proud of being hispanic, latin, Mexican. If you don't know anything about the art, culture, history or literature of Spain or Latin America, you should really read this book! Totally recommend it!
Kelli
Apr 12, 2008 Kelli rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fuentes has done a wonderful job capturing the history of Spain and the New World. It contains a plethora of information and offers many other texts to review as references. I highly recommend reading, but only if you are wanting to learn about a long and tumultuous history. It can be boring, but it can be interesting.
Jimbo Green
Jul 18, 2014 Jimbo Green rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quizás el libro mejor escrito que he leído: me declaro admirador impertérrito de Fuentes. Aquí narra con tremenda maestría la historia que da forma a Latinoamérica: desnuda nuestra piel y la expone trasluciendo los hechos, personajes y sucesos que nos han configurado como latinoamericanos. Absolutamente recomendable para entender nuestra identidad hispanoamericana. Imperdible.
Jen
Feb 23, 2011 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read history of Latin America, from the "discovery" to present times... It explains how Latin American failures stem from the adoption of foreign political models; from Capitalism to Marxism, instead of exploring the rich traditions of the Indian and African village and the Ibero Spanish municipality.
Sandra
Jan 14, 2009 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sandra by: Span 5
Carlos Fuentes is a cool poet. I liked the way he brings back Spanish history through poetry.

09/22/09
It's 10:30pm I'm way to tired after having to work 10 hours in arrow... but I'm surprised how I had forgotten things [interesting things:] I learned last semester...
Once again, Fuentes has stolen my heart...
Brenda Galván
Sep 12, 2012 Brenda Galván rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book captures the history of Spanish and Latin American. Fuentes' creation is beyond interesting: it is something quite remarkable, one of our best treatures for me as a Hispanic translator from new world who's lived in both worlds. Definitely recommend it, I wish I could say more.
Mark
Jun 19, 2007 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: old-mexico
A good review of the literature, art, and history of a multicultural Spain and in turn a multicultural Mexico, Central, and South America. A philosophical look at what it means to be apart of the global Hispanic culture.
Clarissa
Jul 28, 2015 Clarissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, spanish
Un fantástico recorrido sobre la historia de la cultura hispanoamericana y la influencia que España ha tenido sobre ella. Carlos Fuentes demuestra su fuerte como ensayista en esta obra, en la cual ofrece una perspectiva diferente e innovadora de la cultura que vio nacer a tan destacado autor.
Antonio Dominguez
Magnificent, historical fiction, a reconstruction and reinterpretation of Mexican history that Carlos Fuentes evolved into the characters of contemporary Mexico.
He conjugated the past to the present, from colonial Mexico to post revolution.
Brad
Jun 11, 2010 Brad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. I read the English translation. Starts with the ancient history of Spain, going into their colonization of the New World and the correlations between Spain and Latin America. Really well written.
Richard Faris
Jun 03, 2013 Richard Faris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All interested in the impacts and benefits of other cultures.
"The second constant of Spanish culture, as revealed in the artistic sensibility, is the capacity to make the invisible visible by embracing the marginal,the perverse,the excluded" Carlos Fuentes in The Buried Mirror.
Nov 03, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-list
For me, this was an interesting and worthwhile read. I am embarrassingly ignorant of Spanish and Latin American history and this book is a great resource. But I felt as if I were reading a text book.
Peter Daerden
Een bij momenten ongemeen knap historisch werkstuk van Carlos Fuentes, alleen jammer dat het soms de hoogdravend filosofische en metafysische toer moet omgaan - 't kost 'm een ster.
Sheree
Jun 10, 2010 Sheree rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spanish
This series, "The Buried Mirror"in English, delves into the history and culture that defines Mexico today. Fascinating. There is also a video series.
Luis Alberto Robledo
¡He registrado un libro en BookCrossing.com!
Stosch
Sep 04, 2015 Stosch rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: latin-american
made of good paper, nice pictures but author reaches too much . not into the whole explanation of art. if thats your thing youll love this book.
Veronica
Jan 23, 2013 Veronica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well written and easy to understand. Highly recommended reading for anyone interested in Hispanic American studies and beyond.
Debra
Aug 30, 2009 Debra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of Mexico's premier philosophers and authors has created a beautiful and illuminating work. Just the reproduced artwork alone is worth the price!
Diane Nospraka
Apr 29, 2014 Diane Nospraka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Carlos Fuentes usually has great novels though this time he offered us an excellent essay about the search of our Iberoamerican identity. I just loved it! Fuentes is one of my favorites writers.
Sherry
Jan 30, 2008 Sherry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must-read for Spanish students and hispanofiles. I have seen the videos and read the book at varous times during my sudies.
  • Northrop Frye on Shakespeare
  • México Profundo: Reclaiming a Civilization
  • Victors and Vanquished: Spanish and Nahua Views of the Conquest of Mexico
  • Children of Cain: Violence and the Violent in Latin America
  • Modern Latin America
  • El manual del perfecto ateo
  • All Men Are Mortal
  • El laberinto de la soledad
  • Desert America: Boom and Bust in the New Old West
  • Rivers of Gold: The Rise of the Spanish Empire from Columbus to Magellan
  • The Rise and Fall of the Second Largest Empire in History: How Genghis Khan's Mongols Almost Conquered the World
Carlos Fuentes Macías was a Mexican writer and one of the best-known novelists and essayists of the 20th century in the Spanish-speaking world. Fuentes influenced contemporary Latin American literature, and his works have been widely translated into English and other languages.

Fuentes was born in Panama City, Panama; his parents were Mexican. Due to his father being a diplomat, during his childhoo
More about Carlos Fuentes...